[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UW-MU game on CBS  (Read 13022 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
UW-MU game on CBS
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
If you are college football junkie like me, you are a bit sad when the UW-MU game falls on the first Saturday of December, on "Championship Saturday"

The UW-MU game will be at 11:30am at the Bradley Center before the SEC Championship on CBS!

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/wis-m-baskbl-sched.html
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: UW-MU game on CBS
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »
If you are college football junkie like me, you are a bit sad when the UW-MU game falls on the first Saturday of December, on "Championship Saturday"

The UW-MU game will be at 11:30am at the Bradley Center before the SEC Championship on CBS!

Well, all that matters that day is what time Michigan plays for the Big 10 Title

Death on call

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:21:22 PM »
Michigan = Also ran in a weak conference.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »
Well, all that matters that day is what time Michigan plays for the Big 10 Title

You have a good shot, but certainly a tougher one.  The Badgers have essentially a layup each year in their division...whatever the heck they call those divisions nowadays.  Not close to the gauntlet that the east is.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:13 PM »
You have a good shot, but certainly a tougher one.  The Badgers have essentially a layup each year in their division...whatever the heck they call those divisions nowadays.  Not close to the gauntlet that the east is.
Actually, it's between Wisky and the Huskers for that division.  The Big 10/11/12/14 really screwed up in dividing the teams into the East and West Divisions. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:55:14 PM »
Nebraska winning the big 10. Ha. Nice traditional league.

Can't wait till Rutgers wins the basketball championship.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:59:35 PM »
Actually, it's between Wisky and the Huskers for that division.  The Big 10/11/12/14 really screwed up in dividing the teams into the East and West Divisions. 

Still think it is a layup.  Not sold on Nebraska.

A team in the east that has to deal with Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State is far tougher, year in and year out, IMO.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 09:09:23 PM »
Apparently, CBS wants to highlight a lop-sided 'rivarly'

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:11:55 PM »

Pretty much all the schools wanted it.  No one really liked the previous set up.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »

Pretty much all the schools wanted it.  No one really liked the previous set up.
Yeah, it makes geographic sense.  My point is in terms of strength of programs.  Now you have a majority of solid programs beating up on each other.  Will lead to mediocrity as good programs will not do well yEar after year.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »

The Marquette/Wisconsin has fallen on the first Saturday of December for many years now. It will again next year......so there is no reason to be sad.
December is for basketball anyways.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 10:34:24 PM »
Anyone know if Virginia Tech's basketball team also plays on CBS that Saturday?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 11:49:17 PM »
National TV!!!!!!!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 04:37:04 AM »

Death on call

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 05:44:47 AM »
What affiliation does Marquette or Wisconsin have with CBS?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 06:38:43 AM »

Equally likely that is the day Michigan starts their next coaching search.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tigidal

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 07:40:19 AM »

I don't seem to see anything about a TV broadcast on that link... Only shows Duke and Milwaukee being broadcast.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 07:42:26 AM »
Equally likely that is the day Michigan starts their next coaching search.   

That is my prediction #gospartans
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 07:49:52 AM »
The Marquette/Wisconsin has fallen on the first Saturday of December for many years now.
Not always. It's how the calendar falls. Last time in Milwaukee in 2012 it was the 2nd weekend.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:58:12 AM by mupanther »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 07:50:34 AM »
What affiliation does Marquette or Wisconsin have with CBS?
FS1 sold some games to CBS/CBSSN.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 07:51:26 AM »
I don't seem to see anything about a TV broadcast on that link... Only shows Duke and Milwaukee being broadcast.
UW must have taken it down. It was up last night and TV blogs had it out.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:58:40 AM by mupanther »
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 09:11:05 AM »
Yeah, it makes geographic sense.  My point is in terms of strength of programs.  Now you have a majority of solid programs beating up on each other.  Will lead to mediocrity as good programs will not do well yEar after year.

The problem is that you had a bunch of conflicting interests that pretty much necessitated a geographic split.

**Penn State want to play out east.
**Ohio State and Penn State want to play every year
**Michigan and Ohio State want to play every year (obviously)
**Michigan and Michigan State want to play every year.

So you can accomplish this by having a "protected" inter-division rivalry each year.  (The SEC does this with 14 teams.)  The conference is doing this now with Purdue and Indiana in separate divisions.

They could have put Michigan and Michigan State in the west, protected the Michigan / Ohio State game, put Northwestern and Purdue in the east, and then protect the Northwestern / Illinois game.

But in the end I think they simply thought that a geographic split was best.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 09:26:20 AM »

The problem is that you had a bunch of conflicting interests that pretty much necessitated a geographic split.

So you can accomplish this by having a "protected" inter-division rivalry each year.  (The SEC does this with 14 teams.)  The conference is doing this now with Purdue and Indiana in separate divisions.

They could have put Michigan and Michigan State in the west, protected the Michigan / Ohio State game, put Northwestern and Purdue in the east, and then protect the Northwestern / Illinois game.

Just pointing out that the geographic split is silly from a competitive standpoint in FB.  But, then, this is the league that came up with "legends" and "Leaders"... ;)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 10:32:01 AM »

Eh, they could have easily split Michigan or Michigan State into the west in exchange for Purdue and protecting everything and had a better competitive balance.  I think this was just lazy planning and not wanting to make a "tough" decision.  It will hurt the conference as a whole because PSU, OSU, Michigan, and MSU will beat each other up practically assuring no one undefeated comes out of the east.  Then Wisconsin has a cake walk in the west, but the SOS will be so weak as to be inconsequential.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 10:42:40 AM »
Eh, they could have easily split Michigan or Michigan State into the west in exchange for Purdue and protecting everything and had a better competitive balance.  I think this was just lazy planning and not wanting to make a "tough" decision.  It will hurt the conference as a whole because PSU, OSU, Michigan, and MSU will beat each other up practically assuring no one undefeated comes out of the east.  Then Wisconsin has a cake walk in the west, but the SOS will be so weak as to be inconsequential.

I think the lazy thing would have been to put Rutgers or Maryland in different divisions....or the same division and moving one school out of it.  But I don't think that a major conference, especially one like the B10 who systematically plans out everything, is just going to say "well whatever" and do things that are easy. 

One thought I have is that they did this to maximize their television value just before the new television contracts.  This way they have arguably some of their marquee television games guaranteed to happen every year.

feedback