'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Marquette: What to expect from senior Juan Anderson  (Read 11009 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Marquette: What to expect from senior Juan Anderson
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 02:52:40 AM »
He is going to get at least 20 mpg until Luke gets back.   Unless you think that Taylor is going to be able to play >30mpg at the 5 and Burton >30mpg at the 4.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 08:48:59 AM »
Are there examples of guys who have increase usage and efficiency in the same season? Maybe Jake? Vander? Jerel? Jae?

Sure, it happens, but not a lot. Here are the players you listed, except for Jake Thomas. I'm not doing his numbers.

I haven't done any real analysis, but my general thought is that players will either improve their usage or their efficiency but typically not both.

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »
I would not expect more than 25 minutes a game out of Taylor or Burton. Even if they play more, Juan is the best option at small forward. Unitl Fischer is eligible Taylor, Burton and Anderson's potential minutes will only be limited by foul trouble and conditioning.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 09:03:45 AM »
He is going to get at least 20 mpg until Luke gets back.   Unless you think that Taylor is going to be able to play >30mpg at the 5 and Burton >30mpg at the 4.   

Yep. Juan is going to get his chance to show what he can do with extended minutes, at least during the non-con sked.

So we'll have our answer on what to expect from him as a senior by mid-December.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 09:55:29 AM »
Sure, it happens, but not a lot. Here are the players you listed, except for Jake Thomas. I'm not doing his numbers.

I haven't done any real analysis, but my general thought is that players will either improve their usage or their efficiency but typically not both.

Thanks Sugar!

I guess off the top of my head I think a guy like Juan could improve both because his current role and minutes were so sporadic. It's hard to define what he was supposed to be doing. I assume that's not just coaching, but a lot of that was on Juan himself.

If he improves enough to get more minutes, it will likely be because he's more efficient.

Thoughtfully, I'm just hoping Juan is a bit of a late bloomer and think he could be a good 20mpg player. He's skills pass the eye test, but his production certainly hasn't.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 01:48:56 PM »
I think Juan's confidence has always been fragile. As a sophomore on the Elite 8 team he almost always took a couple of 3s early. Good news if he hit one, but if he didn't he tended to disappear.

I agree he misses too many easy put backs and lay ups.  It has to be confidence that is lacking.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
"What to expect from senior Juan Anderson" should be the shortest article written by Paint Touches.

You should expect very little. Comparing him to Lockett is a joke. The only thing he does well is rebound, Lockett came in after leading his previous team in scoring. Watching him on offense is like watching my dog hump the pillow.

Will he play in front of Burton or JJJ? No. So that leaves another 12 MPG season. Maybe less if Cohen plays well. 

Agree. Lockett a far superior player. Juan is a role player who will give you a few rebounds coming off the bench.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 02:14:16 PM »
Agree. Lockett a far superior player. Juan is a role player who will give you a few rebounds coming off the bench.
Most people on these boards did not think Lockett was very good (despite of Buzz saying how important was) until he almost made an NBA roster.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »
Most people on these boards did not think Lockett was very good (despite of Buzz saying how important was) until he almost made an NBA roster.
I think most were very appreciative of Lockett's contributions, though he had a slow start at MU due to turnover issues.  But, he was solid for the BE and the NCAAs.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »
I think most were very appreciative of Lockett's contributions, though he had a slow start at MU due to turnover issues.  But, he was solid for the BE and the NCAAs.

I guess.  I seem to recall a lot of people clamoring for Mayo over Lockett.  But maybe that was only a few people.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
I guess.  I seem to recall a lot of people clamoring for Mayo over Lockett.  But maybe that was only a few people.
Hmmm...Mayo had an eligibility issue that first semester....

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 04:53:43 PM »
It always seemed to me that Anderson was over-thinking.   Maybe he had Brent on the brain.  Could be that a new coach does wonders for his effectiveness.  I never saw any flaws with the physical side of his game, just the confidence.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 05:06:51 PM »

I assumed from what I saw of Mayo as a frosh and the way that Lockett was playing early in the year that Mayo would be a starter once he regained his eligibility, and said so repeatedly.  Lockett got more comfortable and Todd was unable to improve on his freshman year performance and even regressed a little.   So I was wrong, but I admitted it and became a Lockett fan by the end of the year.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 05:47:03 PM »

I will freely admit that I was not thrilled with Lockett until well into the conference season. After a rough start, he played his way into my heart!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »
Hmmm...Mayo had an eligibility issue that first semester....

Lockett vs. Mayo thread:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=34590.0

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 08:13:06 PM »
Juan Anderson ~ Joe Fulce

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2014, 07:05:12 AM »
Hope he comes back with an improved outside game like he had his sophomore year.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 08:31:01 AM »
Juan Anderson ~ Joe Fulce
Joe Fulce had extreme injury issues that severely limited his potential.  The comparison is not valid.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 08:48:33 AM »
I assumed from what I saw of Mayo as a frosh and the way that Lockett was playing early in the year that Mayo would be a starter once he regained his eligibility, and said so repeatedly.  Lockett got more comfortable and Todd was unable to improve on his freshman year performance and even regressed a little.   So I was wrong, but I admitted it and became a Lockett fan by the end of the year.   

Your analysis on Todd was correct as compared to Lockett.  Lockett became a decent player by the time Big East Tourney and NCAA play came around...but...if you want to look at their production side by side when given similar minute opportunity - Lockett's senior year, to Todd's junior year - Todd blows Lockett away in virtually everything, other than rebounding.  However, Todd turns the ball over at a similar rate, yet is much less foul prone.  Mayo never could get out of Buzz's doghouse until the last 10 games of the season last year, and it then became evident to those who couldn't see it previously - all the talent on display - once given consistent minutes and an ability to play through some mistakes.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=todd-mayo&i=1&p1=trent-lockett
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 09:54:59 AM »
Joe Fulce had extreme injury issues that severely limited his potential.  The comparison is not valid.

I agree TJ.  JA has bad at basketball issues. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »
Your analysis on Todd was correct as compared to Lockett.  Lockett became a decent player by the time Big East Tourney and NCAA play came around...but...if you want to look at their production side by side when given similar minute opportunity - Lockett's senior year, to Todd's junior year - Todd blows Lockett away in virtually everything, other than rebounding.  However, Todd turns the ball over at a similar rate, yet is much less foul prone.  Mayo never could get out of Buzz's doghouse until the last 10 games of the season last year, and it then became evident to those who couldn't see it previously - all the talent on display - once given consistent minutes and an ability to play through some mistakes.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=todd-mayo&i=1&p1=trent-lockett
Watch "Frozen".   Do what the big song tells you.   

TJ

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2014, 11:47:36 AM »
Watch "Frozen".   Do what the big song tells you.   
Maybe Buzz left a note in his desk for the next coach telling him not to play Todd.  Ners can't let down his guard now... always be vigilant.