'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Rant Sports: Big East Basketball Primed For Stronger Showing in 2014-15  (Read 6119 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Big East Basketball Primed For Stronger Showing in 2014-15
July 25, 2014 11:15 am EDT by Zach DiSchiano

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2014/07/25/big-east-basketball-primed-for-stronger-showing-in-2014-15/

Once the premier basketball conference in the country, the Big East‘s inaugural season after reconstruction was anything but extraordinary.

Now, the conference needs to have a bounce-back season or risk continuing its progressive drift into the sea of irrelevance. Just two players (one first-rounder, one second) from the league were selected in July’s NBA Draft, and outside of Bryce Cotton, no undrafted Big East alum has signed a contract with an NBA team.

Luckily for Big East basketball fans, the near future is exceptionally brighter than the recent past. Generally speaking, the Big East was a young conference with a lack of experience at key positions. This season, teams like Villanova, Marquette, Georgetown, Butler and St. John’s will return the majority of their core players and hopefully establish a bigger presence in the top-25 polls consistently.

While teams like Creighton, Providence and Xavier lost their star players, these schools have built up their programs nicely and attracted some quality recruits to join decent lineups. Each team is well-coached and could also be a factor in the conference championship race.

Despite less-than-ideal records last season, there was evidence of new stars developing all across the conference. D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera and Joshua Smith will be a deadly combination for the Hoyas, while JayVaughn Pinkston, Josh Hart and Ryan Arcidiacono make for a well-balanced attack on offense for Villanova.

New head coach Steve Wojciechowski has a lot of talent to play with for his first season at Marquette, starting with Todd Mayo and the gifted freshman guard Sandy Cohen. Rysheed Jordan of St. John’s is another guard absolutely loaded with talent, but he will need to improve on a rather pedestrian freshman campaign last year.

Austin Chatman is an outstanding veteran guard who will replace Doug McDermott as the primary creator for the Creighton offense. He contributes a nice combination of scoring and assists, and he will be trusted with more responsibility during his senior season. Butler also boasts a plethora of crafty players in the backcourt, with the lethal shooter Kellen Dunham and all-around stud Roosevelt Jones, who is looking to rebound after spending most of last season on the sidelines injured. The Bulldogs return four starters this season and are sure to build on their 4-14 record during conference play.

While the conference is still a long way from the former elite status it once boasted, the Big East is taking strides of improvement toward becoming one of the more respectable leagues in the nation. The talent is there; now the teams just need to capitalize on their abilities and develop, win some games over top programs from other leagues and have more than one or two teams continue climbing up the weekly rankings. There may not be an absolute star this season like McDermott last year, but this season’s conference is much deeper and the players will deliver some quality basketball all year long.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Marquette is returning the majority of its core players?  While teams like Creighton, Providence and Xavier (but not Marquette) lost their star players... Sorry, Chris, Davante, Jamal, Jake.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:32:29 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I'm less optimistic than this writer. Of the four BEast teams who made the tourney last year, I think Villanova will be the only one to return. Creighton is getting gutted and Xavier/Providence barely made it last year and will probably take steps back. Georgetown and St. John's should be improved and make the tournament. Seton Hall/Butler will all be improved but I don't think enough to make the tournament. Depaul will continue to be Depaul.

We are the biggest wild card. On paper, we shouldn't be any better next season. We lose 56% of our offense, our lead scorer (Davante), our lead rebounder (Jamil), our top sniper (Jake the Snake), our top rim defender (Otule), and our coach. We replace them with only a slightly above average recruiting class. BUT, I do think a lot of our talent was either injured or questionably glued to the bench. We also addressed our dire need at PG. Next season we could surprise everyone and win it all or take an even further step back.

I think the overall conference will be improved but I think we are only a 3 bid league, unless Wojo can lead us back to the promised land.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

I'm less optimistic than this writer. Of the four BEast teams who made the tourney last year, I think Villanova will be the only one to return. Creighton is getting gutted and Xavier/Providence barely made it last year and will probably take steps back. Georgetown and St. John's should be improved and make the tournament. Seton Hall/Butler will all be improved but I don't think enough to make the tournament. Depaul will continue to be Depaul.

We are the biggest wild card. On paper, we shouldn't be any better next season. We lose 56% of our offense, our lead scorer (Davante), our lead rebounder (Jamil), our top sniper (Jake the Snake), our top rim defender (Otule), and our coach. We replace them with only a slightly above average recruiting class. BUT, I do think a lot of our talent was either injured or questionably glued to the bench. We also addressed our dire need at PG. Next season we could surprise everyone and win it all or take an even further step back.

I think the overall conference will be improved but I think we are only a 3 bid league, unless Wojo can lead us back to the promised land.

I always thought this was a bad argument for the merits of the next year's team. So what if we lost 56% of the offense? They also played over 50% of the minutes.

Our leading scorer averaged under 15, our leading rebounder averaged under 6, our "sniper" often needed a new scope, and out top rim defender only played 17 minutes a game.

They will be replaced. My guess is that our leading scorer, leading rebounder, and "sniper" will all put up better numbers than last year. That being said, I would not want to place a bet on how this team will do. I am optimistic and think if we stay injury-free that we have a very good chance for the Big Dance. I wouldn't put my own dollars on it though.

NersEllenson

• All American
I always thought this was a bad argument for the merits of the next year's team. So what if we lost 56% of the offense? They also played over 50% of the minutes.

Our leading scorer averaged under 15, our leading rebounder averaged under 6, our "sniper" often needed a new scope, and out top rim defender only played 17 minutes a game.

They will be replaced. My guess is that our leading scorer, leading rebounder, and "sniper" will all put up better numbers than last year. That being said, I would not want to place a bet on how this team will do. I am optimistic and think if we stay injury-free that we have a very good chance for the Big Dance. I wouldn't put my own dollars on it though.

Funny.  I got a laugh as I read Jake being referred to as a sniper as well.  But, your overall point is a very good one...that it is vey likely our leading scorer, rebounder and sniper will put up better numbers than last year's.  I'll be shocked if MU is not in NCAA tourney next season and will place my own dollars on it.  We will win 20-23 games is my guess.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Jay Bee

• All American
Yet another article authored by a clueless individual. Do better.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
Wow! I am stoked to see Cohen now!

I'm expecting 15, 5 and 5 from him. Is that wrong?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bradley center bat

• All American
It's hard to get a read on Xavier, Providence and Seton Hall with all having good freshmen coming in.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Wow! I am stoked to see Cohen now!

I'm expecting 15, 5 and 5 from him. Is that wrong?

Not on MUScoop.  Just be ready to adjust to demanding he be dropped from the team in favor of a new recruit by next April.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:13:12 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
Losing 56% of our offense really is a misleading statistic for this team. Is there anyone on this board that does not think we will be a better offensive team this year? Even if Derrick Wilson continues to start at point I would expect us to be better offensively. We will have more fast break baskets ( would really be hard to have less) and better three point shooting (it would be really hard to be worse) than last year. Burton will average more points than our leading scorer last year and the offense will not be restricted by having to have a paint touch. I think paint touches are good, but if you have an open good shot take it. Where we will struggle is on the half court defensive end, but Buzz proved that with guard pressure you can keep the ball out of the post. The thing we have to remember is the team's success often turns on who wins the close games. We could of easily won another 4+ games last year.

willie warrior

• All American

Sorry to burst your Buzz bubble TAMU, but we will be better than last year, because the lame duck coach is gone--huge boost for us. And with that departure, the players will be motivated, instead of demoralized. Book it--better than 17-15. Likely 19 wins, without the phony cowboy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Sorry to burst your Buzz bubble TAMU, but we will be better than last year, because the lame duck coach is gone--huge boost for us. And with that departure, the players will be motivated, instead of demoralized. Book it--better than 17-15. Likely 19 wins, without the phony cowboy.

Where in my post did you see anything about a Buzz bubble? I said we could either take a small step back or a big step forward. I think we will be better but I am not sure if we will make the tourney or not.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Losing 56% of our offense really is a misleading statistic for this team. Is there anyone on this board that does not think we will be a better offensive team this year? Even if Derrick Wilson continues to start at point I would expect us to be better offensively. We will have more fast break baskets ( would really be hard to have less) and better three point shooting (it would be really hard to be worse) than last year. Burton will average more points than our leading scorer last year and the offense will not be restricted by having to have a paint touch. I think paint touches are good, but if you have an open good shot take it. Where we will struggle is on the half court defensive end, but Buzz proved that with guard pressure you can keep the ball out of the post. The thing we have to remember is the team's success often turns on who wins the close games. We could of easily won another 4+ games last year.

I think those are all fair and reasonable points. But a lot of them are assumptions. You are right that it would be hard to have less fast break points, but we have no idea what kind of defense Wojo runs.

The three point shooting I feel can only go up. Carlino alone made almost half of what our entire team did last season. And Duane shot 55% from 3 as a HS senior. Some of that should translate to the college level.

Burton would have to average 15 ppg a game to beat out Davante's mark. I think he is definitely capable of it but 15 ppg is no small feat. We also have other capable scorers in Mayo, Carlino, and maybe even Johnson who could take the ball out of Burton's hands.

I got frustrated with paint touches last season as well, but for all we know, Wojo will have the same rule!

We definitely missed on most of our close games last season. We were 4 points away from a 21-11 season and another year dancing. Many attributed it to lack of leadership. Who is the leader this season? Derrick has the personality but not the game. Mayo has the game but not the personality. Carlino is an unknown, but some one here have indicated hearing that he was viewed by some as a negative force in the locker room. I'm hoping it's Burton, but he is young, will the others follow him?

I agree that this team had more talent than it showed last year. I also agree that to just look at the numbers would be a mistake (for any team but especially this team). But you can't just toss the numbers out either. This is a very small team, with few experienced players (and less good experienced players), who will have to rely on several players who have yet to play a game as a Warrior (Carlino, Duane, Luke, and to a lesser extent Chief), who are learning a brand new system with a brand new coaching staff.

Despite all that, I think fixing the PG problem, establishing a less crazy defensive scheme, and getting some of the talent that was stuck on the bench onto the floor means we will be a better team season. Tournament good? I hope so. I am cautiously optimistic.
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
Where in my post did you see anything about a Buzz bubble? I said we could either take a small step back or a big step forward. I think we will be better but I am not sure if we will make the tourney or not.
Easy, your analysis indicates you are not too optimistic about being better than last year. That is your defense for the Buzzster. You have always had a Buzz bubble. We will be better than last year, if for no other reason than the phony one is gone.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Texas Western

• All American
Big East Basketball Primed For Stronger Showing in 2014-15
July 25, 2014 11:15 am EDT by Zach DiSchiano

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2014/07/25/big-east-basketball-primed-for-stronger-showing-in-2014-15/

Once the premier basketball conference in the country, the Big East‘s inaugural season after reconstruction was anything but extraordinary.

Now, the conference needs to have a bounce-back season or risk continuing its progressive drift into the sea of irrelevance. Just two players (one first-rounder, one second) from the league were selected in July’s NBA Draft, and outside of Bryce Cotton, no undrafted Big East alum has signed a contract with an NBA team.

Luckily for Big East basketball fans, the near future is exceptionally brighter than the recent past. Generally speaking, the Big East was a young conference with a lack of experience at key positions. This season, teams like Villanova, Marquette, Georgetown, Butler and St. John’s will return the majority of their core players and hopefully establish a bigger presence in the top-25 polls consistently.

While teams like Creighton, Providence and Xavier lost their star players, these schools have built up their programs nicely and attracted some quality recruits to join decent lineups. Each team is well-coached and could also be a factor in the conference championship race.

Despite less-than-ideal records last season, there was evidence of new stars developing all across the conference. D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera and Joshua Smith will be a deadly combination for the Hoyas, while JayVaughn Pinkston, Josh Hart and Ryan Arcidiacono make for a well-balanced attack on offense for Villanova.

New head coach Steve Wojciechowski has a lot of talent to play with for his first season at Marquette, starting with Todd Mayo and the gifted freshman guard Sandy Cohen. Rysheed Jordan of St. John’s is another guard absolutely loaded with talent, but he will need to improve on a rather pedestrian freshman campaign last year.

Austin Chatman is an outstanding veteran guard who will replace Doug McDermott as the primary creator for the Creighton offense. He contributes a nice combination of scoring and assists, and he will be trusted with more responsibility during his senior season. Butler also boasts a plethora of crafty players in the backcourt, with the lethal shooter Kellen Dunham and all-around stud Roosevelt Jones, who is looking to rebound after spending most of last season on the sidelines injured. The Bulldogs return four starters this season and are sure to build on their 4-14 record during conference play.

While the conference is still a long way from the former elite status it once boasted, the Big East is taking strides of improvement toward becoming one of the more respectable leagues in the nation. The talent is there; now the teams just need to capitalize on their abilities and develop, win some games over top programs from other leagues and have more than one or two teams continue climbing up the weekly rankings. There may not be an absolute star this season like McDermott last year, but this season’s conference is much deeper and the players will deliver some quality basketball all year long.
The Big East outside of Marquette and Georgetown had a good year last year. If We and Georgetown return to form, the story line will change about this league.

tower912

• All American
If MU's success next season is based Cohen's success as a freshman, I am even more worried.   For me, there are too many unknowns to be truly optimistic.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
The Big East outside of Marquette and Georgetown had a good year last year. If We and Georgetown return to form, the story line will change about this league.

Right but were two of the only three traditionally top tier teams in this league us and GTown doing bad makes the rest look bad even if the other teams do good
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Easy, your analysis indicates you are not too optimistic about being better than last year. That is your defense for the Buzzster. You have always had a Buzz bubble. We will be better than last year, if for no other reason than the phony one is gone.

Happily slurping Coach Wojo now. Don't really give a rat's rear about the head coach of Virginia Tech. Contrary to what you said, I am actually optimistic for next season. On paper, we should be a worse team than last year, which would put us in the barely top 100 category and a 9th place finish in the Big East. Because of what Wojo has done since coming here, and because I am confident that he will do an exemplary job as both development and in game coach, I think we actually will be better than last year. Now my prediction isn't as high as some others, but I think low at large seed in the NCAA tournament -NIT berth is an optimistic pick for this team. I mean, most people making predictions (and before anyone says it, I realize how worthless these are at this point in the year) are projecting us as the 2nd worst team in the BEast.
TAMU

NersEllenson

• All American
If MU's success next season is based Cohen's success as a freshman, I am even more worried.   For me, there are too many unknowns to be truly optimistic.   

I think this upcoming season will highlight the importance of having very good guard play.  We had a very talented big in Davante last season, a good 3/4 combo in Jamil...and it didn't matter.

This is the biggest known to me for this upcoming season that has me very optimistic - much improved guard play.

Think how MU was able to be so successful largely in the last 14 years without really good bigs....but really good guards.  As Chicos says - it is a guards game...and we have a lot of talent in the backcourt.  Not to mention an absolute superstar in the making in Deonte.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
The guard play is going to have to carry MU early.   I think it is interesting that Carlino said in his interview that they are 'guards', but don't really have an official position.    I take that to mean that there will be multiple ball handlers, multiple wings, multiple shooters, switchables.   Taylor, Juan, and Burton are going to have to cowboy up the first 10 games and play decent defense without fouling.   JJJ and Sandy are the next two bigs (until Luke arrives) and I just cannot envision that ending well.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Marquette is returning the majority of its core players?  While teams like Creighton, Providence and Xavier (but not Marquette) lost their star players... Sorry, Chris, Davante, Jamal, Jake.

Maybe he meant MU is returning many players that should have been starters from last year.   ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Yet another article authored by a clueless individual. Do better.

Can you fill us in on that Kentucky scholarship offers....

Jay Bee

• All American
I think this upcoming season will highlight the importance of having very good guard play.  We had a very talented big in Davante last season, a good 3/4 combo in Jamil...and it didn't matter.

That's not a fair assessment. While we did have Davante (and Toddler & Deonte) who is a 25%+ usage guy in an ideal world, he and other higher-usage players started (the majority of) games on the bench and didn't see the minutes other players - who are built to be low-usage players - got to spend on the court.

It's so very important to understand how Buzz's personnel decisions set MU up for failure last year. You could have kept Derrick as your point guard, but had him with Todd and/or Davante more often and been in a much better spot to compete. His lineup combinations were poor last season and that was more of a factor, "oh this guy got to play PG or player X got to play SG."

If you look at Jake Thomas, by and large he was a solid guard from an offensive efficiency standpoint. But, not a big part of the offense. Derrick had assists... poor shooting, but he rarely shot.

Happy to be heading back to the tourney this season!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.