[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tyler Thornton- New Grad Assistant?  (Read 10802 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Tyler Thornton- New Grad Assistant?
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 09:57:47 AM »
What do you mean by saying that UNC "did have a Roy Williams which Duke doesn't"?  Do you mean a former assistant who got head coaching experience elsewhere?  Won't Duke have Amaker, Chris Collins, and Wojo fit that description when Coach K retires?

IIRC, the guy who replaced Dean at UNC who didn't work out was Guthridge who had stayed at UNC as an assistant and hadn't gotten HC experience elsewhere.

There was also the Matt Doherty experience...

Doherty had distinguished himself at ND

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
Everyone thinks Duke will hire another Dukie to replace Coach K but I think they might have noticed how that didn't work for UNC when Dean Smith retired, lucky for them they did have a Roy Williams which Duke doesn't.

Coach K and Dean Smith are the best coaches ever at their respective programs.

However both Duke and North Carolina were good before each of them got there...and North Carolina has been good since.

Duke will be fine.  Even if they struggle without Coach K at first, they will eventually find someone who will make it work.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »

No.  They upped the admittance requirements. 

No. The FFP that we all know and love is gone. Thanks Scott.
Bring back FFP!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2014, 10:38:31 AM »
No. The FFP that we all know and love is gone. Thanks Scott.

I didn't know it.  I didn't love it.

But FFP is still around.  It has changed however.  Such is life.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »
There was also the Matt Doherty experience...

Doherty had distinguished himself at ND
Keefe--you are slipping. There is nothing to be distinguished with at No Dick. Just like Geico, everybody (except arrogant ND fans) knows that.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »
Keefe--you are slipping. There is nothing to be distinguished with at No Dick. Just like Geico, everybody (except arrogant ND fans) knows that.

Willie

I was kidding, mate

Death on call

Slim

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 11:36:38 AM »
I still think Brad Stevens ends up coaching Duke.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2014, 11:46:20 AM »
Maybe eventually, but I think it will go to a Duke insider first. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 02:24:55 PM »
Willie

I was kidding, mate
I figured you were. But even to put distinguished and ND together in a sentence must be called out. Unless it is in reference to old school ND, as in Rockne, Hornung, Parsegian, or Montana.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »
I still think Brad Stevens ends up coaching Duke.

Brad is the next coach at IU, not Duke.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2014, 03:02:49 PM »

You really think so?

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2014, 03:21:06 PM »
Bring back Bobby Knight. His time has come again, especially to counterpoint the PC crowd. We need a General Patton patrolling the sidelines, beating the hell out of telephones, throwing chairs at the Commies, and slapping players around. The horsewhip with Calvin Cheyney is an all time classic. Especially if you compare it to Crean's kiss.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »
You really think so?
I don't know.   The prevailing wisdom on their boards seems to be that Crean gets to stay until his buyout is manageable.   If the results aren't there, they let him go and make the big push for Brad.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
I don't know.   The prevailing wisdom on their boards seems to be that Crean gets to stay until his buyout is manageable.   If the results aren't there, they let him go and make the big push for Brad.   

They aren't going to outpay the Boston Celtics and Stevens does not like the recruiting aspect of college basketball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 04:46:24 PM »
Fair enough.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »
Hunt just posted this ... nothing gets past this guy!  And I love the detail, so enlightening.

--------------------------------------

Tyler Thornton joins men's basketball staff
By Michael Hunt of the Journal Sentinel   
July 26, 2014 6:14 p.m.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/268746361.html

Former Duke point guard Tyler Thornton has joined the Marquette staff, coach Steve Wojciechowsk tweeted.

Thornton's job has yet to be specified, but it is believed he will be a graduate assistant.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »
What do you mean by saying that UNC "did have a Roy Williams which Duke doesn't"?  Do you mean a former assistant who got head coaching experience elsewhere?  Won't Duke have Amaker, Chris Collins, and Wojo fit that description when Coach K retires?

IIRC, the guy who replaced Dean at UNC who didn't work out was Guthridge who had stayed at UNC as an assistant and hadn't gotten HC experience elsewhere.

That's like Hank Raymonds replacing Al, right?
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »

That's like Hank Raymonds replacing Al, right?

We had Denny f ucking Crum jumping up and down doing the Arnold Horshak "Ooooh Pick Me!" but Marquette hired Hank. The long winter of our discontent could have been avoided completely.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »
They aren't going to outpay the Boston Celtics and Stevens does not like the recruiting aspect of college basketball.

Both true. I personally don't think Stevens will last as the Celtics head coach. Or as any NBA head coach for that matter.  Being an NBA head coach is more about being a figurehead, providing motivation, creating team culture, and dealing with people that tend to have massive egos. I think Xs and Os have little to do with success at the professional level of American basketball. Brads Stevens is an Xs and Os coach. I think he will find the most success at the college level.

Besides, the Celtics faithful might have forgiven last years 25-57 performance because it was a rebuilding year, but they won't forgive very many more.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2014, 06:12:24 AM »
Tyler Thornton @tythornton3  ·  3h
I have been blessed with a great opportunity to join coach @Steve_Wojo at Marquette University. I'm really excited to be here. #GoEagles

Miles Plumlee @milesplumlee13  ·  2h
Congrats @tythornton3 on the new job! You have the knowledge, work ethic, and demeanor to be a great coach!! Proud of you man

Matt jones @matt13jones_  ·  2h
In just one year my man @tythornton3 Taught me so much and now he's a coach! Thanking God for him being in my life #Marquette #congrats

He's new so I'll give him a pass, but that might be the first time I've ever seen someone write Go Eagles in reference to dear old MU. It doesn't look or sound quite right. I hear go Eagles and think Philadelphia.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2014, 08:28:52 AM »
Both true. I personally don't think Stevens will last as the Celtics head coach. Or as any NBA head coach for that matter.  Being an NBA head coach is more about being a figurehead, providing motivation, creating team culture, and dealing with people that tend to have massive egos. I think Xs and Os have little to do with success at the professional level of American basketball. Brads Stevens is an Xs and Os coach. I think he will find the most success at the college level.

I think being a good Xs and Os coach, especially on the defensive side of the ball, is a lot more important than you are letting on here.  And yeah given how young (and bad) the Celtics are, I am not sure how long he will last.

But the question becomes, is he going to take the route of a PJ Carlesimo or Stan Van Gundy and stick with the pro game?  Or the route of a Lon Kruger or Rick Pitino and go back to college?

Given that Kruger and Pitino seem to enjoy the recruiting aspects of college, while Carlesimo and Van Gundy do not (like Stevens), my guess is that he will make a career out of the NBA.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2014, 08:40:48 AM »

I think being a good Xs and Os coach, especially on the defensive side of the ball, is a lot more important than you are letting on here.  And yeah given how young (and bad) the Celtics are, I am not sure how long he will last.

But the question becomes, is he going to take the route of a PJ Carlesimo or Stan Van Gundy and stick with the pro game?  Or the route of a Lon Kruger or Rick Pitino and go back to college?

Given that Kruger and Pitino seem to enjoy the recruiting aspects of college, while Carlesimo and Van Gundy do not (like Stevens), my guess is that he will make a career out of the NBA.

If he stays NBA, I can see him landing at the Woofies.  Flip has a full time job as Prez.  He will probably split his time as coach for a year, then do the prez gig full time.