'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jack Harbaugh Addresses The Team This Week (Tue, Jul 22)  (Read 8942 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Jack Harbaugh Addresses The Team This Week (Tue, Jul 22)
« on: July 24, 2014, 11:32:52 AM »
On Point: Derrick Wilson Blog Entry No. 6
Team workouts, guest speakers and more this week

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/072314aac.html

July 23, 2014

Hey, what's up everybody?

This past week has been pretty busy for the most part. We have had two team workouts this week, which I thought went well. The great Mr. Jack Harbaugh also came to visit on Tuesday and gave great advice for us individually and as a team. Also, this is a camp week so it's always good to have kids around who are excited to play basketball.

I'll start with the good stuff first. So, this week we had two team workouts. For the most part they went well, but we still have a lot of work to do. With that being said, I feel that we took steps in the right direction. As everybody knows, we lack in size in the post positions, however from what I have seen these past two days we have guys who play hard enough and are talented enough to make up for that lack of size.

In the end, I think each of us saw some good stuff and we also saw stuff we need to improve on. We are not where we need to be, like most college teams in America, but then again as time goes on, we will get there. It's all a process and success does not happen overnight.

A little background information on Mr. Harbaugh. He played college football at Bowling Green University and was drafted to the NFL. After his playing career, he coached college football for 41 years and in 2003 became one of Marquette's associate athletic directors. He has three kids, two of whom are among the best coaches in the NFL, John and Jim, and a daughter, Joani, who is married to current Indiana University men's basketball coach and former Marquette coach Tom Crean.

So, as you can tell Mr. Harbaugh comes from an elite family, that's had great success. Now let me tell you, he might be one of the best storytellers I have heard in my lifetime. I can go on and on about the amount of wisdom he gave to us, but I'll break down to the five main ingredients to become successful - discipline, attitude, enthusiasm, perseverance and persistence. By being great in these five areas every day, individually and as a group, we will help accomplish things that people doubt we can do. The stories he told about those five words and additional stories about his family and experiences inspired the team and fired us up.

The last thing he said to us was, "there are two kind of people in this world, gamers and non-gamers, you choose which one you want to be." Being a gamer is what I am choosing. Being great every day is far from easy, but as Mr. Harbaugh put it, "as long as you're getting one-percent better every day, that's a successful day."

Lastly, I would like to acknowledge all of our former Marquette players, Dwight Buycks, Vander Blue, Jamil Wilson and Davante Gardner, who were playing in the NBA summer league in Las Vegas these past couple of weeks. I did not get a chance to catch all of the games, but did check the stats and scores every night and I have to say I was impressed. Congrats fellas and I wish you all the best of luck in these next couple of months on your journey of chasing your dreams.

Well, that's it for this week, until next time, peace out.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Jack Harbaugh Addresses The Team This Week (Tue, Jul 22)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 11:57:55 AM »
Crean still has his tentacles in to destroy the Marquette program. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

augoman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:19:56 PM »
Thanks Heis',  Derrick sounds like an intelligent, appreciative young man.  My wife and I had an opportunity to have dinner with Jack and his wife along with Coach Raymonds and his wife a couple of years back and I could sense his love of MU..., I doubt it was hard to get him to visit with the team.  He would gladly have stayed in Milwaukee at MU had TC not left as he did.  I understand why he is an inspirational speaker.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:22:51 PM »
He would gladly have stayed in Milwaukee at MU had TC not left as he did.  I understand why he is an inspirational speaker.

They still have a home in the area, I believe.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »

Correct, much was made of them watching the Harbaugh Super Bowl from their home in Milwaukee.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »
Did he say anything about how big of a douchebag his daughter married?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »

Yes, Jack and his wife still live 20 or 30 minutes from MU.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
Any memorable stories 'bout presentin' the season ticket holder of the game?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
Yes, Jack and his wife still live 20 or 30 minutes from MU.

May come in handy to park the trailer there if T-Cubed's next gig is coachin' MATC, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »
Too lazy to look it up ... but wasn't Jack Harbaugh the Stanford football head coach for John Elway and the infamous Stanford Band Play?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 01:38:39 PM »
Too lazy to look it up ... but wasn't Jack Harbaugh the Stanford football head coach for John Elway and the infamous Stanford Band Play?

No.  Jack Elway was the Stanford coach for awhile, but not until after his son graduated.

Jack Harbaugh's son Jim was the Stanford coach.  Jack was very successful at the Division I-AA level at Western Kentucky where he won a national championship.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »
I think he also had a coaching roll at Michigan because I know John and Jim went to Ann Arbor Pioneer for high school.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:49:05 PM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 04:13:10 PM »
I think he also had a coaching roll at Michigan because I know John and Jim went to Ann Arbor Pioneer for high school.

He was a defensive coach at Michigan for many years. He went to Kalamazoo to coach Western Michigan after his time in Ann Arbor.

Death on call

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 04:54:08 PM »
I can only hope Jack is more like John and less than Jim.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 06:50:32 PM »
Pops must beaming today how his son acted to Ray Rice getting suspended for 2 whole games after punching his then fiance.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 09:20:15 PM »
Pops must beaming today how his son acted to Ray Rice getting suspended for 2 whole games after punching his then fiance.
At the risk of pissing people off, does anybody think there's more to this story? The video I saw shows him dragging her from the elevator...I may be wrong...there could be more. Is it possible there were extenuating circumstances that led to such a short suspension? I have no horse in this race. If it's confirmed he punched her in the face it should be more, but something doesn't make sense here. Doesn't seem to add up to 2 games.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 11:16:28 PM »
Why Jack Harbaugh and his wife, Jackie, live in Mequon
By Bob Wolfley of the Journal Sentinel Jan. 21, 2013

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/187746841.html?ipad=y

Jack Harbaugh and his wife, Jackie, have lived in Mequon since 2003, when their son-in-law, Tom Crean, was head coach at Marquette University. Crean is married to Joani, the sister of John and Jim Harbaugh, whose teams are to compete in Super Bowl XLVII.

In 2003, Jack Harbaugh was hired as associate athletic director at Marquette, primarily responsible for athletic-related community and public relations at MU. Then-athletic director Bill Cords had tried to hire Jack Harbaugh in the summer of 2002, but Harbaugh decided to take on his 14th and final season as head football coach at Western Kentucky.

Jack Harbaugh's tenure at Marquette ended the same time Crean left to take the job at Indiana on April 1, 2008. Since then, Jack and Jackie Harbaugh have continued to reside in Mequon.

In 2003, when he was hired by MU, Jack Harbaugh was identified in a news report as the father-in-law of Crean and "the father of former National Football League quarterback Jim Harbaugh." Jack Harbaugh is 73.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 11:06:16 AM »
At the risk of pissing people off, does anybody think there's more to this story? The video I saw shows him dragging her from the elevator...I may be wrong...there could be more. Is it possible there were extenuating circumstances that led to such a short suspension? I have no horse in this race. If it's confirmed he punched her in the face it should be more, but something doesn't make sense here. Doesn't seem to add up to 2 games.

Maybe Rice is sleepin' with Goodell, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 12:20:16 PM »
Yeah, Rice gets two games for beating his girl friend unconscious, while a Vikings asst. gets three games for saying some "unkind" words about Kluwe. So name calling is worse than beating the hell out of a woman, in the PC eyes of Roger the Dodger.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 01:36:18 PM »
Yeah, Rice gets two games for beating his girl friend unconscious, while a Vikings asst. gets three games for saying some "unkind" words about Kluwe. So name calling is worse than beating the hell out of a woman, in the PC eyes of Roger the Dodger.
That's what I mean. Is it possible that the beating wasn't actually a beating? I saw video of him dragging her out of the elevator. I guess what I'm saying is, could she have passed out? I have no idea. If he punched her in the face as has been reported, 2 games seems like a bad joke! Again, I may be missing something...I hope to God if he beat her unconscious he'd get more than 2 freaking games.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 02:02:20 PM »
Why Jack Harbaugh and his wife, Jackie, live in Mequon
By Bob Wolfley of the Journal Sentinel Jan. 21, 2013

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/187746841.html?ipad=y

In 2003, Jack Harbaugh was hired as associate athletic director at Marquette, primarily responsible for athletic-related community and public relations at MU. Then-athletic director Bill Cords had tried to hire Jack Harbaugh in the summer of 2002, but Harbaugh decided to take on his 14th and final season as head football coach at Western Kentucky.

Wonder if has has been / will be approached about the AD job?
Might be too much baggage for that leap, but if he had a good relationship with Cords, you never know...

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 02:04:22 PM »
Might be too much baggage for that leap, but if he had a good relationship with Cords, you never know...

Not capable.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »

He's 75 years old and in retirement.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:13:00 PM by Heisenberg »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 02:39:15 PM »
That's what I mean. Is it possible that the beating wasn't actually a beating? I saw video of him dragging her out of the elevator. I guess what I'm saying is, could she have passed out? I have no idea. If he punched her in the face as has been reported, 2 games seems like a bad joke! Again, I may be missing something...I hope to God if he beat her unconscious he'd get more than 2 freaking games.

Chris Mortenson on ESPN, cited sources who have seen the video.  Something to the effect, of them having an argument in the elevator, her slapping him, him punch/shove her, and she hit her head on the railing in the elevator getting knocked out.  He also reported that his finance asked the Commish, to not punish him too hard, because she had been drinking.  There is a video of what happened, just hasn't been leaked yet...but Mort said if it does, it will not be a good thing, and could come back to haunt Goddell.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
If he didn't beat her, and it was something else, like she hit her head, then there should not even be a suspension.

It is a real screw up.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.