[Today at 10:54:04 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Another Unflattering Article About Diamond Stone  (Read 13202 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Another Unflattering Article About Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
Reminds me ofan interview with an NBA player who said they were gonna turn their season around 360 degrees. The name of the player escapes me.
Back to the future...er, present...     ;)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »
You spin me right round, baby, right round, like a record baby, right round.......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
You spin me right round, baby, right round, like a record baby, right round.......

Meatspin?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2014-15 Milwaukee Bucks.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 09:30:10 PM »
That's all well and good but why would Rob Dauster and Scott Phillips have sour grapes?

First three responses in the thread have been quite positive about Diamond Stone from, presumably, Marquette fans.

By bringing it up here.  There are plenty of articles about how great Stone looked, too.  It appears to me there isn't a chance in hell he is coming to MU, thus we put negative articles up about him (what few there are) to justify it's ok he isn't coming here.  When in reality, I believe just about everyone here would be quite pleased if he was to be a Warrior.  My two cents.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 11:41:46 PM »
Have we started the conspiracy that Bo is leaking bad pub on him to lower his self-esteem so low that he would consider UW?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 05:37:32 AM »
By bringing it up here.  There are plenty of articles about how great Stone looked, too.  It appears to me there isn't a chance in hell he is coming to MU, thus we put negative articles up about him (what few there are) to justify it's ok he isn't coming here.  When in reality, I believe just about everyone here would be quite pleased if he was to be a Warrior.  My two cents.

Not true ... Remember he and the other top players are playing for coaches in several of these tournaments this month for the open evaluation period.  What I have been posting is neutral observers opinions, as opposed to the individual school scout boards stories gushing how great he is because their school is recruiting him.

Here is a more flattering story, but it also notes he has not looked good as some of these tournaments and offers a reason why.

(As I posted in the previous thread with unflattering stories about stone, it happens.  Players have bad stretches but it doesn't mean he is a bad player)

------------------

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/18/uaa-the-finals-thursday-recap-josh-jackson-vs-jaylen-brown-highlights-the-day/

Diamond Stone also plays well: I caught Stone’s final game of the day, as he squared off with Penn State-commit Mike Watkins and put together the most impressive performance that I have seen from the big man to date. He knocked down a couple of trail-threes from the top of the key, make a couple of plays around the rim and had one startling crossover that led to a dunk over Watkins in a half-court possession.

Stone, who is ranked No. 6 in the Class of 2015 by Rivals, did not have an overly impressive performance in Philly last week for the Breakout Classic, but certainly made his presence known on Thursday. The Wisconsin-native has made a point to try and show off his perimeter ability this July, which is frustrating and promising at the same time: he does appear to be getting better with his ability to shoot the ball and face opponents up, but his biggest strength still lies in his back-to-the-basket game.

But hey, that’s really what AAU basketball is for, a chance for kids to try out moves they have been working on in games that, in all reality, don’t matter.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:50:20 AM by Heisenberg »

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 06:13:01 AM »
I don't care what anyone says here,  If you've seen Diamond Stone and Henry Ellenson play, they are about as good a big men as you are going to see in this state.  I'd take either in a heart beat and I'm sure the new coaching staff feels the same way.  That said, I don't see Diamond coming to Marquette and I hope he makes the best decision for him.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 08:06:24 AM »
I will also bet you any amount you want, and I will give you 50 to 1 odds that David Stern will never call his name.

So bet me $200 and if Stern calls his name, I will pay you $10,000.

Interested?

I will take that action if you substitute Adam Silvers name for Stern...:)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 09:05:29 AM »
By bringing it up here.  There are plenty of articles about how great Stone looked, too.  It appears to me there isn't a chance in hell he is coming to MU, thus we put negative articles up about him (what few there are) to justify it's ok he isn't coming here.  When in reality, I believe just about everyone here would be quite pleased if he was to be a Warrior.  My two cents.

Diamond is from Milwaukee. He's widely recognized as a top ten player in his class. Marquette has been recruiting him for probably at least 5 years. Marquette is still recruiting him and from every report is still on his list. As a Marquette fan, I'm interested in his performances against top flight competition this summer - whether he's overwhelming or less than that. It's mind boggling that a guy capable of writing ultra negative/mean spirited things about our players is so sensitive to very mild criticism of a recruit's performance.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »
Not true ... Remember he and the other top players are playing for coaches in several of these tournaments this month for the open evaluation period.  What I have been posting is neutral observers opinions, as opposed to the individual school scout boards stories gushing how great he is because their school is recruiting him.

Here is a more flattering story, but it also notes he has not looked good as some of these tournaments and offers a reason why.

(As I posted in the previous thread with unflattering stories about stone, it happens.  Players have bad stretches but it doesn't mean he is a bad player)

------------------

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/18/uaa-the-finals-thursday-recap-josh-jackson-vs-jaylen-brown-highlights-the-day/

Diamond Stone also plays well: I caught Stone’s final game of the day, as he squared off with Penn State-commit Mike Watkins and put together the most impressive performance that I have seen from the big man to date. He knocked down a couple of trail-threes from the top of the key, make a couple of plays around the rim and had one startling crossover that led to a dunk over Watkins in a half-court possession.

Stone, who is ranked No. 6 in the Class of 2015 by Rivals, did not have an overly impressive performance in Philly last week for the Breakout Classic, but certainly made his presence known on Thursday. The Wisconsin-native has made a point to try and show off his perimeter ability this July, which is frustrating and promising at the same time: he does appear to be getting better with his ability to shoot the ball and face opponents up, but his biggest strength still lies in his back-to-the-basket game.

But hey, that’s really what AAU basketball is for, a chance for kids to try out moves they have been working on in games that, in all reality, don’t matter.
I agree that AAU provides an opportunity for skills development against top flite competition. We have to keep making the case that we can develop Stone to his full potential. One aspect of that is with MU he is the featured player, with maximum playing time, versus question marks on those points at other schools  .As they have  recruited a number of other big men and there is no guarantee those other players are one and done. These unflattering stories play into that theme.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 11:04:57 AM »

leever

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
I will take that action if you substitute Adam Silvers name for Stern...:)

Can I please get in on this?

Adam Silvers is never going to call Stone's name either.

Can someone hold the $200 in escrow?

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 12:20:16 PM »
If Stone commits to MU, Scoopers are gonna be pulling 360s so hard someone might snap a neck.
Don't you mean a 180?

If someone does a 360 they end up in the same place they started.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »
Hey here is what some people were saying about Nerlens Noel before he played at Kentucky.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2012/08/18/top-prospect-nerlens-noel-is-most-overrated-prospect-in-2012/

"Those who have been waiting for Noel to develop offensively were sorely disappointed during the Adidas Nations event that took place from August 2-6. Noel showed little development offensively or physically, where he is still skinny and can easily be pushed around. His points were restricted to putbacks off offensive rebounds or catch and dunk opportunities. He was also considerably outplayed by several centers at the event, including Isaiah Austin and Steven Adams."

This stuff happens every year. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 01:32:12 PM »
Hey here is what some people were saying about Nerlens Noel before he played at Kentucky.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2012/08/18/top-prospect-nerlens-noel-is-most-overrated-prospect-in-2012/

"Those who have been waiting for Noel to develop offensively were sorely disappointed during the Adidas Nations event that took place from August 2-6. Noel showed little development offensively or physically, where he is still skinny and can easily be pushed around. His points were restricted to putbacks off offensive rebounds or catch and dunk opportunities. He was also considerably outplayed by several centers at the event, including Isaiah Austin and Steven Adams."

This stuff happens every year. 

Yes!

Again I'm the one posting the "unflattering" Stone articles not because he is bad or the second coming of Lloyd Moore.  Rather, that "it happens" and players have a bad stretch, which he seems to have had at some of these tournaments.  This does not change how good he is or his potential.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »
Well to be intellectually honest, you should post the positive ones as well.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »
Well to be intellectually honest, you should post the positive ones as well.

I did about 5 or 6 posts above.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 03:33:41 PM »
Don't you mean a 180?

If someone does a 360 they end up in the same place they started.

Late, late show is starting now...

feedback