'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Which newcomer has the biggest impact?

Luke
29 (26.6%)
Duane
29 (26.6%)
Sandy
3 (2.8%)
Carlino
48 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Which newcomer has the biggest impact  (Read 3529 times)

tower912

• All American
Which newcomer has the biggest impact
« on: July 23, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
I think Luke, simply because there is no one else his size on the roster.   If he is as good as many think, is able to stay healthy and out of foul trouble, he could be a huge difference make by the time conference play comes around.   
Next up is Duane.   I think he comes out and shows why many expected him to be the starting PG last year before he got hurt.
I have a hard time picking Carlino third, as the team is going to need his perimeter scoring and senior leadership.   
I expect Sandy to look like a freshman.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Which newcomer has the biggest impact
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »
Good poll.

I think it will be Matt Carlino.  But I think "most improved" will be Duane Wilson.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:08:28 PM »
I'm saying Wojo.  Somehow I think he'll have a pretty big impact. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »
Carlino. Got the experience and presumably the starting spot.

Then Luke because of his size and our interior need.

Followed by Duane (explosive but off an injury year) and Sandy, who I really considered making a splash as the second most impactful.
SS Marquette

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »
Carlino - By virtue of greatly improving what was a potentially weak position - if Dawson and Duane turn out to not yet be ready to man the PG position for 30 minutes per game.

I'm not as bullish on Duane as many here seem to be.  Reports were he was struggling pretty good in practice prior to his injury...and I've heard Wojo sees him as a 2 - which tells me - he either A) Isn't a great ballhandler, but more than likely B) Isn't quick enough AT THIS LEVEL to be a highly effective PG.  D1 NCAA is a LONG WAY up from D3 Wisconsin high school ball - which is what I think his high school was? 

But, I've never seen Duane play, so don't have a great basis for making judgements on his game - just reading the tea leaves.  Not sure Duane is better than JJJ or Dawson, whom he'll also be competing with for minutes at the 2/3.  Will definitely be a 3 guard offense all year, unless we are getting hammered on the boards - then we may see more of Juan/Steve T at the 4 playing with LUke and Burton.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 04:38:04 PM »
Good poll.

I think it will be Matt Carlino.  But I think "most improved" will be Duane Wilson.

Totally agree on both counts.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »
I think it's Carlino, just by virtue of having the most experience.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:06:28 PM »

I'm not as bullish on Duane as many here seem to be.  Reports were he was struggling pretty good in practice prior to his injury...

He was injured pretty much the whole time.   It just took a while to figure out. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »
I dont know...That teve Taylor guy in the other poll seems pretty good. Why wasnt he included here  ::)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 07:12:57 PM »
Carlino - By virtue of greatly improving what was a potentially weak position - if Dawson and Duane turn out to not yet be ready to man the PG position for 30 minutes per game.

I'm not as bullish on Duane as many here seem to be.  Reports were he was struggling pretty good in practice prior to his injury...and I've heard Wojo sees him as a 2 - which tells me - he either A) Isn't a great ballhandler, but more than likely B) Isn't quick enough AT THIS LEVEL to be a highly effective PG.  D1 NCAA is a LONG WAY up from D3 Wisconsin high school ball - which is what I think his high school was? 

But, I've never seen Duane play, so don't have a great basis for making judgements on his game - just reading the tea leaves.  Not sure Duane is better than JJJ or Dawson, whom he'll also be competing with for minutes at the 2/3.  Will definitely be a 3 guard offense all year, unless we are getting hammered on the boards - then we may see more of Juan/Steve T at the 4 playing with LUke and Burton.

I personally just think Duane Wilson is being talked about as an off guard simply because the thing he does best is score the ball.  He is a scorer.  I don't necessarily think it's because he doesn't have the skill set to be a point guard, I just think that his skills best match those of a shooting guard.  Duane certainly does not lack quickness.  Other than possibly Todd (and even that I am not sure about), I would be shocked if there was anybody is quicker than Duane on the team (Deonte's first step may be quicker, but Duane's was very quick too).  Duane's problem in terms of being on the ball would just be strength and getting knocked off the ball by physical defenders.  Wasn't the most careful with the basketball in his hands.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:56:31 PM »
I personally just think Duane Wilson is being talked about as an off guard simply because the thing he does best is score the ball.  He is a scorer.  I don't necessarily think it's because he doesn't have the skill set to be a point guard, I just think that his skills best match those of a shooting guard.  Duane certainly does not lack quickness.  Other than possibly Todd (and even that I am not sure about), I would be shocked if there was anybody is quicker than Duane on the team (Deonte's first step may be quicker, but Duane's was very quick too).  Duane's problem in terms of being on the ball would just be strength and getting knocked off the ball by physical defenders.  Wasn't the most careful with the basketball in his hands.

Hey - This was one of your better posts in awhile.  Good analysis.  Your take very well may be a better one than mine.  I could see Duane being a player that is a lot like Todd Mayo actually - lots of talent, yet fairly small build.  I'm a big Mayo fan too and always have been.  I think Todd is tremendously talented but has had a rough go of it at MU, in part due to his own actions, but also due to Buzz coaching him poorly. 

Only thing I'll say perhaps contrary to what you've posted is that I've heard from a pretty good source, that Duane struggles to beat people off of the dribble at this level. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »
Hey - This was one of your better posts in awhile.  Good analysis.  Your take very well may be a better one than mine.  I could see Duane being a player that is a lot like Todd Mayo actually - lots of talent, yet fairly small build.  I'm a big Mayo fan too and always have been.  I think Todd is tremendously talented but has had a rough go of it at MU, in part due to his own actions, but also due to Buzz coaching him poorly. 

Only thing I'll say perhaps contrary to what you've posted is that I've heard from a pretty good source, that Duane struggles to beat people off of the dribble at this level. 

That could be, I really don't know.  If that is true I truly believe that it is more of a lack of physicality that would cause that problem for Duane, because he truly does not lack in quickness.  Obviously Duane and the guys he is playing with/against are at a different level, but what I mean by that is that I am a pretty slender build and when one of my friends in particular who is a pretty strong guy is guarding me when we play I struggle to beat him off the dribble not because I'm not quick enough, but because he just sticks his chest out and lets me bounce right back to where I was coming from.  I could see that being the problem with Duane, he has the quickness but if the defender is able to get his chest into him he isn't going anywhere.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:47:11 PM »
I dont know...That teve Taylor guy in the other poll seems pretty good. Why wasnt he included here  ::)

TEEEEEEEEEVE

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 11:35:42 PM »

Was that his pseudonym in an attempt to get out of Buzz's doghouse?