[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ellenson and Stone at USA Basketball tryout camp in Colorado Springs Now  (Read 3874 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
AAU championships tip off Wednesday at KFEC
Steve Jones, swjones1@courier-journal.com 9:55 a.m. EDT July 23, 2014

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/recruiting/2014/07/22/aau-brings-basketball-championships-louisville/13022909/

[snip]

Several top players who would otherwise be playing in Louisville with their club teams are instead taking part in a USA Basketball tryout camp in Colorado Springs. The same is true for E1T1 forward/LSU commitment Ben Simmons, the No. 1 player in 2015 who is back in his native Australia and working with his national team.

There will be 33 players at the U.S. camp that will determine the 12-man squad for the U17 World Championships. The event will be open to college coaches at least one day, and the tryout roster is loaded with players with local recruiting ties.

They include UK targets Malik Newman, Henry Ellenson, Diamond Stone
, Ivan Rabb and Caleb Swanigan (also IU), who just got an offer this week, from the 2015 class and Derryck Thornton (also U of L), Tyus Battle (also U of L), Jayson Tatum (also IU), Harry Giles and Malik Monk (also IU) from 2016. Other U of L targets are Bryant Crawford (2015) and T.J. Leaf (2016, also IU). Taylor County's Quentin Goodin, who has an IU offer and interest from U of L and UK, is the only Kentuckian competing.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

Malik Newman, Ivan Rabb, Jayson Tatum, Malik Monk among 33 members battling for USA U17 roster spots this week
Scott Phillips
Jul 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/21/malik-newman-diamond-stone-lead-33-members-battling-for-usa-u17-roster-spots/

This week, the USA Basketball will conduct tryouts with 33 of the best high school basketball players in the country in Colorado Springs for the U17 World Championship team.

Tryouts begin on July 24th and finalists will be announced on July 26th for the U17 team that will travel to Dubai from August 8-16 to play in the 16-team FIBA U17 World Championships.

While the U.S. is the two-time defending U17 gold medal winners, this week’s development camp is significant for another reason as well: it falls right in the midst of the final week of the July live evaluation period when coaches can watch high school basketball prospects.

According to USA Basketball, July 25th will be the only day that college coaches will be allowed to attend the two-a-day practice sessions and it means that many of the top recruits for high-major programs in the country will not be babysat by college coaches during most of the last July period.

This could open up college coaches to evaluating new prospects in places like Las Vegas or Louisville (where CBT will have coverage from both this week) or targeting younger classes of players during the last week of the July live evaluation period.

Here are the 33 players trying out for the U17 team in Colorado Springs this week:

Tyus Battle (Gill St. Bernard’s School/ Edison, N.J.)

Terrell Brown (St. Andrew’s School/ Barrington, R.I.)

Thomas Bryant (Bishop Kearney H.S./Rochester, N.Y.)

Marquese Chriss (Pleasant Grove H.S./Elk Grove, Calif.)

Amir Coffey (Hopkins H.S./New Hope, Minn.)

Bryant Crawford (Gonzaga College H.S., D.C./Kensington, Md.)

Eric Davis (Arthur Hill H.S./Saginaw, Mich.)

Juwan Durham (Tampa Preparatory School/Tampa, Fla.)

Henry Ellenson (Rice Lake H.S./Rice Lake, Wis.)

Terrence Ferguson (Prime Prep Academy/Flower Mound, Texas)

De’Aaron Fox (Cypress Lakes H.S./Katy, Texas)

Daniel Giddens (Wheeler H.S./ Mableton, Ga.)

Harry Giles (Wesleyan Christian Academy/Winston-Salem, N.C.)

Quentin Goodin (Taylor County H.S./Campbellsville, Ky.)

Jessie Govan (St. Mary’s High School/Queens Village, N.Y.)

Mustapha Heron (Sacred Heart H.S./West Haven, Conn.)

Josh Jackson (Consortium College Prep H.S./ Southfield, Mich.)

V.J. King (St. Vincent-St. Mary H.S./Akron, Ohio)

Joshua Langford (Madison Academy/ Huntsville, Ala.)

T.J. Leaf (Foothills Christian H.S./Lakeside, Calif.)

Malik Monk (Bentonville H.S./Bentonville, Ark.)

Doral Moore (Luella H.S./Locust Grove, Ga.)

Malik Newman (Callaway H.S./Jackson, Miss.)

Payton Pritchard (West Linn H.S./West Linn, Ore.)

Ivan Rabb (Bishop O’Dowd H.S./ Oakland, Calif.)

Devearl Ramsey (Sierra Canyon H.S./Los Angeles, Calif.)

Kobi Simmons (St. Francis H.S./ Alpharetta, Ga.)

Dennis Smith Jr. (Trinity Christian School/Fayetteville, N.C.)

Diamond Stone (Dominican H.S./Milwaukee, Wis.)

Caleb Swanigan (Homestead H.S./Fort Wayne, Ind.)

Jayson Tatum (Chaminade College Prep/St. Louis, Mo.)

Derryck Thornton (Findlay Prep, Nev./Simi Valley, Calif.)

D.J. Williams (Simeon Career Academy/Chicago, Ill.).

All 12 member’s of last year’s gold-medal winning U16 team will tryout for the U17 team, with the exception of South Carolina native Seventh Woods, who is out for July with a broken wrist.

Newman was the MVP of that U16 team last season and Bryant, Ferguson, Giddens, Giles, Jackson, King, Rabb, Ramsey, Stone, and Tatum were also on the team.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Zag mentioned a rumor of a possible Rabb/Newman/Stone package to Kansas or Kentucky
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
Zag mentioned a rumor of a possible Rabb/Newman/Stone package to Kansas or Kentucky
But, but, but, package deals don't happen. If Stone and Newman end up going to school together it wasn't because it was a package, despite them talking about being a package for a year, it's just a crazy coincidence that they happened to both want to go to the same school.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
But, but, but, package deals don't happen. If Stone and Newman end up going to school together it wasn't because it was a package, despite them talking about being a package for a year, it's just a crazy coincidence that they happened to both want to go to the same school.

https://twitter.com/iammaliknewman/status/491244675479904257

They do happen. But they are very rare. Stone-Newman is not one of them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
https://twitter.com/iammaliknewman/status/491244675479904257

They do happen. But they are very rare. Stone-Newman is not one of them.

I'm not saying that I think they're going to end up at the same school, but what is Newman supposed to say? "Diamond's committing before I want to announce my commitment, but we're a package deal. Where he announces is where I will eventually announce." If the both end up at Kansas or Kentucky I doubt it is just a random coincidence.  They've been talking about being a package for a year. No need to think they've been lying but still just happened to end up at the same place.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Atticus

• All American
Zags has a new article up. A new potential package deal...Stone, Newman, Rabb. Rabb, however, seems to be down to UK and KU.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/ivan-rabb-could-package-with-newman-stone-at-kansas-or-kentucky/#more-118860

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I'm not saying that I think they're going to end up at the same school, but what is Newman supposed to say? "Diamond's committing before I want to announce my commitment, but we're a package deal. Where he announces is where I will eventually announce." If the both end up at Kansas or Kentucky I doubt it is just a random coincidence.  They've been talking about being a package for a year. No need to think they've been lying but still just happened to end up at the same place.

As I understand the term "package deal" it means that you do not get one without the other. If they were a true package deal, then they would announce at relatively the same time. One would not make a decision before the other because they would be discussing it as a unit.

Say Diamond commits to Kentucky. If Newman commits to Kentucky three months later, that doesn't make them a package deal. I'm sure having his buddy Diamond there was a big factor. But having a friend recruiting you to a school does not a package deal make. That would be like saying Noskowiak and Ellenson would be a package deal if Henry came to Marquette.

Now, Quincy Miller telling schools that he would not go anywhere unless his buddy Duece Bello was going. That's a package deal.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.