Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA denies Jameel McKay's waiver;stays ineligible until Dec. 20  (Read 9945 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: NCAA denies Jameel McKay's waiver;stays ineligible until Dec. 20
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 11:21:51 AM »
Never heard that one.  This is one that I feel *pretty* confident in the information I was given.  He was told he would see well under 10 mpg last year and didn't like that.  Now, does that mean that he was told something else during his recruitment and that's why he didn't like it?  That part I do not know.

Did you ever get to see him play? Reports out of Iowa State last year and over this summer seem to be very positive for McKay. I wonder what he's shown now that he didn't show Buzz or whether he's improved dramatically from a less than 10 mpg guy at Marquette to what seems a healthy contributor at Iowa State. Caveat is I've never seen McKay dribble a ball so I don't know his  game at all.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 11:55:29 PM »
I cannot think of his name, but the reports last summer were that the UW transfer sitting out a Iowa was the best player in practice. He was good last year, but he did not even start. I also remember hearing how good Fitz was when he was sitting out. He was a good player for MU, but not as good as his hype. The only player sitting out that I ever remember exceeding his hype was Wade. I can remember leaving MU madness last year and in the hallway there was a group of people talking about a player. They said he did not even a rebound. I figured at that time they were McKay's family/friends and I can easily believe they encouraged him to transfer. The first time I watched McKay in the pro am I was really giddy about him. By the time the pro am was over I posted here that he would not be a starter and was overrated. You watch him and you easily see how he can run the floor and he can score on alley oops. It struck me at some point that he has small hands and it became obvious as the pro am went on that the bigger more experience centers were just keeping him from getting inside on offense. The more I watched him the more he reminded me of Blackledge. I of course thought Blacklegde should of played more at MU then he did, so it is not as negative as it sounds. However, I think Blackledge is a better outside shooter than McKay showed me and was quicker and more athletic. Anyways he hastily quit the team and basically lost a half season of his career. In my opinion that does not show good decision making skills. I also think the same thing about Fischer, but he at least played the first semester.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 12:04:12 AM »
I cannot think of his name, but the reports last summer were that the UW transfer sitting out a Iowa was the best player in practice. He was good last year, but he did not even start.

jarrod uthoff
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 10:45:08 AM »
Did you ever get to see him play? Reports out of Iowa State last year and over this summer seem to be very positive for McKay. I wonder what he's shown now that he didn't show Buzz or whether he's improved dramatically from a less than 10 mpg guy at Marquette to what seems a healthy contributor at Iowa State. Caveat is I've never seen McKay dribble a ball so I don't know his  game at all.

I saw him play once - last year at Midnight Madness. He ran the court well, but had difficulty with the physical nature of the play in the paint (not just from Otule but also from Steve Taylor Jr). In his defense, maybe he already knew he was leaving and had mentally "checked out".

feedback