[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA denies Jameel McKay's waiver;stays ineligible until Dec. 20  (Read 9967 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Instead of leaving a week after midnight madness in late October, he could have stayed through the end of the semester and played in the first 10 or so games and would have been in exactly the same position he is in now.

NCAA denies Jameel McKay's waiver; redshirt junior stays ineligible until Dec. 20

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_45c15906-1125-11e4-82d0-0019bb2963f4.html

ISU basketball player Jameel McKay's waiver request for immediate eligibility has been denied by the NCAA, an ISU athletic department spokesperson confirmed.

McKay, a two-time NJCAA Division I All-American while at Indian Hills Community College, transferred to Iowa State from Marquette before the 2013-14 season began.

If his request was granted, McKay would have been eligible for the entire 2014-15 season. Instead, McKay will be forced to sit out until Iowa State takes on Drake at Wells Fargo Arena on Dec. 20.

The last time McKay saw action was in his sophomore season at Indian Hills, where he averaged 18.1 points, 10.6 rebounds, two blocks and 1.6 assists per game.

Litehouse

• All American
Re: NCAA denies Jameel McKay's waiver;stays ineligible until Dec. 20
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:31:22 PM »
If he played in just 1 game, wouldn't he have lost a year of eligibility?  and then only able to play for the second semester this year?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »
Do you think the determination of his ineligibility was more of a deadline and/or paperwork issue?
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
No, he entered Iowa State at the start of term in January.    He has to wait two semesters.   Pretty simple. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »
We really could have used him this year, especially his height. Looked to me to be taller than Rob Jackson and he is 6' 10". I saw McKay playing pick-up with Deontae, Dawson, Duane and JJJ a few months back. He can literally jump out of the gym. He is still lean, but he seemed to have put on some muscle and is absolutely ripped. He would have given us some nice depth and an early season stop-gap before Fischer joins the squad.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:54:49 PM »
I forget.  Was it ever determined exactly why he left?    Was it that he was asked to red-shirt?   Was it that he was being place at a position other than what he thought was his best?    Was it lack of immediate playing time?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »
I can't recall the talk about why he left, but did read recently that he has been Iowa State's best player by far in summer ball. Ouch. We certainly could have used him.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 03:12:36 PM »
I forget.  Was it ever determined exactly why he left?    Was it that he was asked to red-shirt?   Was it that he was being place at a position other than what he thought was his best?    Was it lack of immediate playing time?

I recall that he left within a week after midnight madness.  Nothing specifically was said but rumor was he did not want to play the 5.

Additionally, when Brent left he tweeted things to the effect that he was vindicated in leaving as Brent showed his true face.  Point is he was suggesting he did not like Brent and wanted out ASAP.

Other agree?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 03:45:10 PM »
I recall that he left within a week after midnight madness.  Nothing specifically was said but rumor was he did not want to play the 5.

Additionally, when Brent left he tweeted things to the effect that he was vindicated in leaving as Brent showed his true face.  Point is he was suggesting he did not like Brent and wanted out ASAP.

Other agree?

I remember the same as well.

Unhappy with playing the 5 spot.

From his recruiting videos, he looked like he was comfortable playing a shooting 4.
SS Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 03:48:48 PM »
I remember the same as well.

Unhappy with playing the 5 spot.

From his recruiting videos, he looked like he was comfortable playing a shooting 4.

What made that so confusing was we had Otule and DG last year so why was he going to play the 5?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:15:42 PM »
What made that so confusing was we had Otule and DG last year so why was he going to play the 5?

It was the minutes (or lack thereof) more so than it was the position.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 07:58:29 PM »
It was the phony cowboy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »
It was the minutes (or lack thereof) more so than it was the position.

This. He looked to be behind both Jamil and Steve Taylor Jr at the 4.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 08:14:42 PM »
There was also a rumor that Buzz asked him to redshirt?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 08:39:16 PM »
There was also a rumor that Buzz asked him to redshirt?

Never heard that one.  This is one that I feel *pretty* confident in the information I was given.  He was told he would see well under 10 mpg last year and didn't like that.  Now, does that mean that he was told something else during his recruitment and that's why he didn't like it?  That part I do not know.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 09:01:59 PM »

More like a tip-in 4, or maybe a hustle 4, or an energy 4,.......but certainly not a shooting 4. 

Would have loved to have him, but certainly not for his shot.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »
We really could have used him this year, especially his height. Looked to me to be taller than Rob Jackson and he is 6' 10". I saw McKay playing pick-up with Deontae, Dawson, Duane and JJJ a few months back. He can literally jump out of the gym. He is still lean, but he seemed to have put on some muscle and is absolutely ripped. He would have given us some nice depth and an early season stop-gap before Fischer joins the squad.

Mr. Freeport - Can McKay figuratively jump out of the gym, or literally jump out of the gym?   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
He was playing the five in practice because Buzz was giving Gardner the chance to play the four, which pushed Wilson to the three where McKay wanted to play. You can say trying to please Gardner lead to McKay being unhappy. When McKay told Buzz he was going to transfer, Buzz said he could redshirt here instead of sitting out a year elsewhere, but McKay was not interested. It is possible Gardner wanting to play the four screwed up the whole year. When he did not start at the four Gardner kind of stop playing hard in practice, which he indicated in January/February when he said he had not been working as hard in practice as he should have. McKay simply jumped ship to early, because in the end Wilson moved to the four and Gardner to the five. Had McKay been willing to work he would of been starting at the three by mid-season. I think Buzz was used to players being willing to play out of position and had no patience for a newcomer who would not. To Buzz it showed a lack of toughness, which is the quality Buzz perhaps valued the most.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »
He was playing the five in practice because Buzz was giving Gardner the chance to play the four, which pushed Wilson to the three where McKay wanted to play. You can say trying to please Gardner lead to McKay being unhappy. When McKay told Buzz he was going to transfer, Buzz said he could redshirt here instead of sitting out a year elsewhere, but McKay was not interested. It is possible Gardner wanting to play the four screwed up the whole year. When he did not start at the four Gardner kind of stop playing hard in practice, which he indicated in January/February when he said he had not been working as hard in practice as he should have. McKay simply jumped ship to early, because in the end Wilson moved to the four and Gardner to the five. Had McKay been willing to work he would of been starting at the three by mid-season. I think Buzz was used to players being willing to play out of position and had no patience for a newcomer who would not. To Buzz it showed a lack of toughness, which is the quality Buzz perhaps valued the most.

It couldn't have been defense if he thought Gardner was even a remote possibility a the 4.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 07:05:44 AM »
Mr. Freeport - Can McKay figuratively jump out of the gym, or literally jump out of the gym?   ;)
About halfway out -- Hand above the square

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 08:01:36 AM »
I heard he chafed at Buzz's insistence on timeliness and other aspects of his personality. People around him encouraged him to quit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 08:07:11 AM »

Yeah and combined with the people around him, as Texas Western mentioned, it was a recipe for transfer.

Now he definitely would be playing the center position this year, but I don't think Wojo is going to use that position like Buzz did, so he may have been fine with that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »

Yeah and combined with the people around him, as Texas Western mentioned, it was a recipe for transfer.

Now he definitely would be playing the center position this year, but I don't think Wojo is going to use that position like Buzz did, so he may have been fine with that.

I doubt Buzz would have used McKay as a traditional 5 (Otule, Gardner) - probably more of a hybrid of Lazar/Oxtule.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
I'm going to trust wadesworld here. He was the one that broke the news of the transfer so I'm guessing his source is reliable.
Bring back FFP!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 10:05:43 AM »
I'm going to trust wadesworld here. He was the one that broke the news of the transfer so I'm guessing his source is reliable.

Not saying others are wrong. Some of the additional information certainly sounds reasonable. I just believe the part that I heard to be true.