[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mike Hunt also says AD search accelerated  (Read 4151 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Mike Hunt also says AD search accelerated
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:07:50 AM »
From Hunt ....

The next AD will have stability with men’s basketball, but will face challenges posed by the reorganized Big East. Marquette and six other Catholic schools founded the new league last year, but it struggled with identity from a lack of national recognition and exposure.

------

Huh?

Identity?  It's a basketball only conference of catholic schools (save Butler).  That is a stronger identity than the old BE (not as good a basketball conference, but don't confuse identity with strength of schedule)

Recognition and exposure?  This is just a swipe a fox sports.  Hunt buys into the idea that your either on ESPN or you might as well be on cable access at 3am. (Note to Mr. Hunt, if Fox and Time Warner merge, their combined sports programming will be bigger than ESPN).  The recognition part is purely ESPN hacks dissin the BE now they are not on ESPN anymore.  That's objective.

What this was is a lazy line by a lazy reporter ... He wanted to finish the article noting issues with the BE and put no thought into it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:11:30 AM by Heisenberg »

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:05:24 AM »
From Hunt ....

The next AD will have stability with men’s basketball, but will face challenges posed by the reorganized Big East. Marquette and six other Catholic schools founded the new league last year, but it struggled with identity from a lack of national recognition and exposure.

------

Huh?

Identity?  It's a basketball only conference of catholic schools (save Butler).  That is a stronger identity than the old BE (not as good a basketball conference, but don't confuse identity with strength of schedule)

Recognition and exposure?  This is just a swipe a fox sports.  Hunt buys into the idea that your either on ESPN or you might as well be on cable access at 3am. (Note to Mr. Hunt, if Fox and Time Warner merge, their combined sports programming will be bigger than ESPN).  The recognition part is purely ESPN hacks dissin the BE now they are not on ESPN anymore.  That's objective.

What this was is a lazy line by a lazy reporter ... He wanted to finish the article noting issues with the BE and put no thought into it.
Agree a very sloppy article. The Big East is a huge asset for Marquette and the outlook is good.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 02:28:34 PM »
Has there even been any mention of possible candidates from any sources?  I don't recall ever hearing any names being tossed around.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 03:56:07 PM »

Huh?

I don't agree that this is lazy.
I read that as Hunt saying basketball is secure, but the other sports will be a challenge for the new AD, because of their varied membership outside of the basketball schools.

I'm not saying I agree that the BE lacks exposure or even recognition, but I concede that it could be a challenge for an AD. For example, I don't recall seeing much on FS1 last month welcoming Florida and Vanderbilt to the BE for women's lacrosse.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Black Swan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 04:19:36 PM »
Why is Mike Broeker  not a solid choice? I have always liked him and the people I know in the basketball program have very good things to say about him.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:01:35 PM »
Why is Mike Broeker  not a solid choice? I have always liked him and the people I know in the basketball program have very good things to say about him.

+1

I've heard great things about Mike.  I'm sure he would do a great job.  He already has an understanding of the school and program.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 08:45:04 PM »
Shaka got a voice in this hire too?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:03:10 PM »
Agree a very sloppy article. The Big East is a huge asset for Marquette and the outlook is good.

What do you expect from a very sloppy guy?
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »
Shaka got a voice in this hire too?

Shaka doesn't but Lovell has been shuttling back and forth to Richmond on Dick Strong's jet to get Maya's input and blessings.

Death on call

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »
Sorry guys but anyone falling for the whole "maya said no, after shaka said yes" is truly gullible.  Gullible to believe the cover your ass excuse a local jock sniffer came up with to explain his whiff at his 15 minutes of fame.  #donedeal

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 12:22:09 AM »
Sorry guys but anyone falling for the whole "maya said no, after shaka said yes" is truly gullible.  Gullible to believe the cover your ass excuse a local jock sniffer came up with to explain his whiff at his 15 minutes of fame.  #donedeal

you forget yourself, sir! you are speaking of a true friend of the program!

Death on call

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:47:56 AM »

It's my understanding that Broeker is perfectly happy dealing with everything bball related and doesn't want to tackle the other sports. I could be WAY off here, but I believe he focuses mostly on men's basketball.
Bring back FFP!!!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:17 AM »
Has there even been any mention of possible candidates from any sources?  I don't recall ever hearing any names being tossed around.
haven't heard about possible candidates, but part of El Bozo's severance package gives him final approval of the selected candidate.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback