collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: espn-double standard much??  (Read 65154 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: espn-double standard much??
« Reply #325 on: July 29, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
Exactly. It was ESPN being freaking annoying and shoving him down everyone's throats for 3 years. Not his Christianity.

Hmm, so if people feel like Sam, Collins, etc are shoved down everyone's throats that's ok to opine about?  Want to bet the second that starts one is labeled as homophobic.  Again, the double standards.

And yes, a number of people slammed him for BEING Christian in the open, regardless of what ESPN or anyone else did.  They didn't like his answers when a microphone was in his face or reporter printing his words.  Happy to provide those examples and then you adjust your quote above accordingly.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #326 on: July 29, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
Well if it hurts that much to see a white Christian torn up then he can look for the support of another one of the millions of other white Christians who aren't getting torn up.  If Sam gets torn up there's not exactly millions of out black gay men.  

I'm with sultan I'm sure he got mocked but I think you're acting like he's Obama on Fox News while in actuality he just annoyed a few people with the religion.  Bottom line is a public figure is gonna get torn apart no matter what.  But to say someone who's part of a super majority deserves the same sensitivity as a super minority just seems wrong on all sorts of levels.

Again, can you provide all the examples of Sam being torn up by the media.  I'd like to see these, since he is a public figure and all.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #327 on: July 29, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »
Where do I fell like a victim of discrimination in this situation?  I do feel there is a double standard in many of these things, but that hardly means a feeling of discrimination in this situation.  You want to talk about other topics where there is discrimination, I'm all for it, but you're off base here.

Tebow didn't come out as a Christian guy.  What you are missing here is that he was excoriated by many because he did.  His views, don't count.  In fact, he was often butchered for them.  That was the point.  Thus the double standard.  This isn't really that hard.

Well you keep complaining about intolerance of religious views.  You keep saying about how unfair Tebow was treated.  I can only imagine as a christian yourself that this feeling is rooted in something you feel you have experienced.  If I'm wrong then my sincerest apologies.  

What do you mean by his views don't count and he was butchered.  The guy's a football player not a politician views don't count unless he's talking about what play to run.  Consequently it makes no sense for him to talk about his christian views or anything as Christianity is the super majority in terms of religion (including atheism) in this country.  The reason Sam needs to talk about it is because if when he was drafted the camera caught him kissing his boyfriend, without him coming out, then half of America (particularly 45.7% in 08 and 47.2% in 12) would sh*t a brick.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #328 on: July 29, 2014, 11:26:57 AM »
Well you keep complaining about intolerance of religious views.  You keep saying about how unfair Tebow was treated.  I can only imagine as a christian yourself that this feeling is rooted in something you feel you have experienced.  If I'm wrong then my sincerest apologies.  

What do you mean by his views don't count and he was butchered.  The guy's a football player not a politician views don't count unless he's talking about what play to run.  Consequently it makes no sense for him to talk about his christian views or anything as Christianity is the super majority in terms of religion (including atheism) in this country.  The reason Sam needs to talk about it is because if when he was drafted the camera caught him kissing his boyfriend, without him coming out, then half of America (particularly 45.7% in 08 and 47.2% in 12) would sh*t a brick.  

Whoa whoa, because he is a football player he can't talk about something other than football?  Did you really just say that?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #329 on: July 29, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »
Again, can you provide all the examples of Sam being torn up by the media.  I'd like to see these, since he is a public figure and all.

Well here's one example http://www.edgeboston.com/news/national/News/162106/labarbera:_michael_sam_is_a_%E2%80%99bad_role_model,%E2%80%99_should_become_an_%E2%80%99ex-gay%E2%80%99

But no reason for him to be he came out and told the world he was gay, isn't putting it in the spotlight instead is just trying to make the team.  

Quite frankly Tebow rubbed it in peoples faces he made it front and center about him being an athlete.  Not only that but he made sure that everyone knew he was extremely devout.  If a person wants to not get torn up say your a christian leave it at that and let your game do the talking (which in Tebow's case I guess I see why he had to rely on the Christian thing)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #330 on: July 29, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
Whoa whoa, because he is a football player he can't talk about something other than football?  Did you really just say that?

In terms of his views "counting", which is the term you used, then yes. He's a football player his views "count" for football.  Of course beyond that he's going to get torn apart.  Did not say he can't talk about something other than football.  But he's going to get torn apart as a public figure. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #331 on: July 29, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »
I guess I would like to see some examples of Sam being shredded in the media for his beliefs and statements?  It's so toxic and so glowing hot, it won't happen.  Tebow, on the other hand, got killed left and right because it's open season to rail on Christians.  If you can find a number of examples where the MEDIA rips on Sam or Collins, I'm all ears.  I suspect if you were to do an honest comparison of the two, the assaults would be much higher on one side than the other.  

Minority vs. Majority. Same as every other topic in history ever. Also, the same things you agreed with me about the first time you responded. I'll just copy/paste this again:

Difference is, with Sam in a super minority, there are more vocal defenders. Pretty true for any minority situation across the board. There are people who attack any/every group across the world. And yes, the media is very hypocritical in a lot of ways.

Is everyone coming up with arguments just for the sake of arguing at this point? EVERYONE gets persecuted by someone. The media is stupid. Hypocrites and double standards exist. Can we move on from that terribly repetitive line of drivel now?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #332 on: July 29, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »

Well here's one example http://www.edgeboston.com/news/national/News/162106/labarbera:_michael_sam_is_a_%E2%80%99bad_role_model,%E2%80%99_should_become_an_%E2%80%99ex-gay%E2%80%99

But no reason for him to be he came out and told the world he was gay, isn't putting it in the spotlight instead is just trying to make the team.  

Quite frankly Tebow rubbed it in peoples faces he made it front and center about him being an athlete.  Not only that but he made sure that everyone knew he was extremely devout.  If a person wants to not get torn up say your a christian leave it at that and let your game do the talking (which in Tebow's case I guess I see why he had to rely on the Christian thing)

Edgeboston?  Please, tell me you can do better on the media side.  Show me all these crazy beatdowns in the media Sam is getting from established media.

How did Tebow "rub it in people's faces"?   You are feeding right into the double standard by JUSTIFYING the actions taken against him. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #333 on: July 29, 2014, 12:52:19 PM »
In terms of his views "counting", which is the term you used, then yes. He's a football player his views "count" for football.  Of course beyond that he's going to get torn apart.  Did not say he can't talk about something other than football.  But he's going to get torn apart as a public figure. 

Classic double standard.  Would Sam get torn apart in the media for views outside of football?  Of course not, partly because they would be fearful of being labeled as anti-gay. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #334 on: July 29, 2014, 12:54:26 PM »
Minority vs. Majority. Same as every other topic in history ever. Also, the same things you agreed with me about the first time you responded. I'll just copy/paste this again:

Difference is, with Sam in a super minority, there are more vocal defenders. Pretty true for any minority situation across the board. There are people who attack any/every group across the world. And yes, the media is very hypocritical in a lot of ways.

Is everyone coming up with arguments just for the sake of arguing at this point? EVERYONE gets persecuted by someone. The media is stupid. Hypocrites and double standards exist. Can we move on from that terribly repetitive line of drivel now?

You seem to get it, but based on Bagpipe's last two answers, he certainly doesn't.  Some people don't recognize or acknowledge the hypocrisy.  What's worse, they perpetuate it and fuel it.  Even justify it in their own minds.  Fun to watch, that's for sure. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #335 on: July 29, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
You seem to get it, but based on Bagpipe's last two answers, he certainly doesn't.  Some people don't recognize or acknowledge the hypocrisy.  What's worse, they perpetuate it and fuel it.  Even justify it in their own minds.  Fun to watch, that's for sure. 

People root for underdogs.

There. I said it.

Is everybody good?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #336 on: July 29, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »

It's not hypocrisy to be sensitive minorities that face discrimination and just let majorities be.  Like I said before I think you're blowing the amount of criticism tenor faced WAY out of proportion just to back up your point.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #337 on: July 29, 2014, 01:24:16 PM »
The wars began well over 100 years ago on H2O out west.  Not sure how we are "wasting" water our here, but I suppose any interpretation could work.  I'm seriously considering putting in artificial grass.  Three neighbors on the street have done so in the last year.  It's a hassle to mow the lawns anyway and I refuse to hire illegal labor to do it, so that might be an option.

Um, I meant when the western states come demanding water from the Great Lakes. Too bad they stole water to irrigate early in the last century, perhaps you wouldn't have looked so inviting to immigrants and would have less problems now vs. the good old days.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #338 on: July 29, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
Hmm, so if people feel like Sam, Collins, etc are shoved down everyone's throats that's ok to opine about?  Want to bet the second that starts one is labeled as homophobic.  Again, the double standards.

And yes, a number of people slammed him for BEING Christian in the open, regardless of what ESPN or anyone else did.  They didn't like his answers when a microphone was in his face or reporter printing his words.  Happy to provide those examples and then you adjust your quote above accordingly.

I love how even talking about Sam being gay equals it being "shoved down" your throat.You clearly have an issue with even two minor-athletes coming out being a story at all. I've turned on ESPN semi-recently, haven't heard about Sam once.

Tebow on the other hand, was a completely different story:

http://deadspin.com/5948667/you-cant-talk-enough-tebow-espns-instructions-to-on-air-talent
http://deadspin.com/5967232/espn-finally-disavows-its-tebow-coverage-we-didnt-handle-that-very-well

But then again, YOU only see what YOU want to see.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #339 on: July 29, 2014, 02:50:03 PM »
My mother in law has, as many do, become more religious as she has gotten older.    Gone from the Wisconsin Lutheran faith of her upbringing to a fundamentalist mega-church wannabe congregation in rural Indiana.   So be it.  It makes her happy.      All of this leads into my take on the Tebow story.

She was visiting us the week after Tebow had led Denver to their playoff victory over the Steelers.   His game is coming on and she is rhapsodizing poetic about how amazing he is.   How she would love it if he ended up with either the Colts or the Packers.  (Her favorite two teams).    I asked her why she wished her favorite two teams ill, as  he was a fine young man, a good leader, but a lousy quarterback.   She got upset.  She equated his Christianity with him being a great football player.   As if none of the other players were religious at all.   I disagreed and she got offended.  

IMO, Tebow is the most overhyped 3rd string QB in history.   I couldn't care less about his religion.  If the Lions were to sign him to replace Kellen Moore as their 3rd QB, I would be ambivalent.   Both are lefthanded QB's who won a lot in college, but lack the fastball to be a fulltime starter in the league.   To me, nothing more, nothing less.  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:17:45 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #340 on: July 29, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »

There is a joke somewhere in here....I just can't find it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brandx

« Reply #341 on: July 29, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »
My mother in law has, as many do, become more religious as she has gotten older.    Gone from the Wisconsin Lutheran faith of her upbringing to a fundamentalist mega-church wannabe congregation in rural Indiana.   So be it.  It makes her happy.      All of this leads into my take on the Tebow story.

She was visiting us the week after Tebow had led Denver to their playoff victory over the Steelers.   His game is coming on and she rhapsodizing poetic about how amazing he is.   How she would love it if he ended up with either the Colts or the Packers.  (Her favorite two teams).    I asked her why she wished her favorite two teams ill, as  he was a fine young man, a good leader, but a lousy quarterback.   She got upset.  She equated his Christianity with him being a great football player.   As if none of the other players were religious at all.   I disagreed and she got offended.  

IMO, Tebow is the most overhyped 3rd string QB in history.   I couldn't care less about his religion.  If the Lions were to sign him to replace Kellen Moore as their 3rd QB, I would be ambivalent.   Both are lefthanded QB's who won a lot in college, but lack the fastball to be a fulltime starter in the league.   To me, nothing more, nothing less.  

Funny!! It reminds me of the Rich Campbell deal in Green Bay on steroids. Sucked as a QB, but he was such a good christian man.

But, your story describes the Tebow phenomenon to a 'T'. Because if we criticized his football abilities, we were persecuting christians and mocking God.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #342 on: July 29, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »
There is a joke somewhere in here....I just can't find it.

LOL. I hope Chico did it on purpose.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #343 on: July 29, 2014, 04:17:03 PM »
I don't even know what this thread is about, but I know it's been reported too many times for me to let it keep going.