[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: espn-double standard much??  (Read 65144 times)

brandx

Re: espn-double standard much??
« Reply #275 on: July 27, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
Many accept grants and aid, some do not.  Several dioceses no longer accept any state or federal monies of any kind, while certainly others still take funding to help the hospital, school, etc.

It's one of the reasons Notre Dame sued the current administration as has Catholic charities. 

Basically the gov't is saying if you accept money of any kind, you must provide all these services or lose the money....your religious views don't mean a damn...money trumps all.  I get why the gov't attaches the strings, but I also feel the gov't has no trouble squashing religious rights over other rights....religious rights become secondary. 

Wrong. All catholic hospitals accept gov't dollars.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #276 on: July 27, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »

Ah yes, pity the poor, downtrodden American Christian.

If it isn't the "War on Christmas," it is "reverse discrimination" or some other scourge that lets them set a mere 98% of the national agenda.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #277 on: July 27, 2014, 08:22:07 PM »
Wrong. All catholic hospitals accept gov't dollars.

So what you are telling us is a Catholic ( a Marquette grad spelling Catholic with a lower case c tells me a lot about you.) hospital gives up its principles to accept Medicare and Medicaid.  These are funds that allow it to continue operating and continuing to serve a population that is underserved already.  Or maybe they should just move to the suburbs?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #278 on: July 27, 2014, 08:22:48 PM »
Ah yes, pity the poor, downtrodden American Christian.

If it isn't the "War on Christmas," it is "reverse discrimination" or some other scourge that lets them set a mere 98% of the national agenda.

98%....which orifice did that come from?   ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #279 on: July 27, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »
If I don't have the ability to pick and choose where my tax money goes, why should they have the ability to pick and choose where they get to spend it?

Haven't you learned?  Life ain't fair.  Why is it fair that I get to pay taxes at a much higher rate than most people?  Why is it fair that 47% of the "citizens" in this country pay no federal income taxes?    Lots of stuff isn't fair. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #280 on: July 27, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »
So what you are telling us is a Catholic ( a Marquette grad spelling Catholic with a lower case c tells me a lot about you.) hospital gives up its principles to accept Medicare and Medicaid.  These are funds that allow it to continue operating and continuing to serve a population that is underserved already.  Or maybe they should just move to the suburbs?

I can only imagine Brandx was responding to me.  smh   Apparently he doesn't realize the number of hospitals and doctors who no longer Accept Medicare.  The majority still do, but not all.

Also, should the 1973 Church Amendment should be ignored?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #281 on: July 27, 2014, 10:37:58 PM »
98%....which orifice did that come from?   ;D

Sorry. More like 99.5%.

Happy Holidays!

brandx

« Reply #282 on: July 27, 2014, 11:03:17 PM »
I can only imagine Brandx was responding to me.  smh   Apparently he doesn't realize the number of hospitals and doctors who no longer Accept Medicare.  The majority still do, but not all.

Also, should the 1973 Church Amendment should be ignored?

Hmm... So some Catholic hospitals are turning away the elderly, disabled, and Veterans? I didn't think they could stoop any lower than their previous scandal.

But as I said earlier - and it IS fact - all hospitals receive public funding. Some here want to manipulate statistics to say it isn't so, but that is a lie.

This occurs not only through the obvious Medicare and Medicaid payments, and treatment of Veterans, but also through the use of public bonds to fund things like construction and improvement programs. All of us taxpayers - Catholic and non-Catholic - are paying to have Vatican doctrines deny things like voluntary sterilization, HIV prevention counseling and even simple referrals for birth control.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #283 on: July 28, 2014, 10:18:38 AM »
This thread should turn to fishing.

It's the only way it can be saved.

I'll start.

My favorite fish to eat is bluegill/sunfish. You have to catch a lot of them to make a decent meal, but man, I love the taste.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #284 on: July 28, 2014, 10:27:26 AM »

I'll start.

My favorite fish to eat is bluegill/sunfish. You have to catch a lot of them to make a decent meal, but man, I love the taste.

I've always been partial to perch or walleye…perch because they are thinner and when fried are delicious.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #285 on: July 28, 2014, 10:54:38 AM »

Yes.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #286 on: July 28, 2014, 10:55:44 AM »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #287 on: July 28, 2014, 10:59:04 AM »
Another 1% martyr.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #288 on: July 28, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »

I'll start.

A nice lemon swordfish
Bring back FFP!!!

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #289 on: July 28, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »
Yes.
Not exactly sure how to interpret, but
hey, how about those tasty lake perch or walleyes?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #290 on: July 28, 2014, 11:38:09 AM »
Another 1% martyr.   

Grateful people (1%ers -99%ers) are happy people. Resentful braggarts in the 1% or "you owe me!" people in the 99th%? - not so much.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #291 on: July 28, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »
I've always been partial to perch or walleye…perch because they are thinner and when fried are delicious.

Oooh, I love me some walleye. It's been so long since we lived in Minnesota. People down south never heard of it.

My single favorite fish, though, is Copper River Salmon. It's available only for a few weeks every year, usually in June. Very prevalent in Washington state, though it gets shipped fresh around the country. I like to season it a little and then grill it on a cedar plank! Sadly, I was able to get it only once this year.

brandx

« Reply #292 on: July 28, 2014, 03:49:07 PM »

I'll start.

I'm not a fisherman - and it still sounds like a good idea.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #293 on: July 28, 2014, 07:17:39 PM »
Mrs. Paul's vs VandeKamp's.    Discuss.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #294 on: July 28, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
Your victimhood is so pathetic.

Blah blah blah.

First, I'm not in the 1% and never will be.   Reinko suggested that the media wasn't doing some of this with Tebow.  Many of us disagree, this political cartoon illustrates it quite nicely.  Of course they did it with Tebow. 

That's all it was, nothing to do with victimhood, just showing how the media has a double standard, but it is fun watching you and the others get upset and start throwing around 1%, martyrdom, etc....must be part of the tolerance play.   :D

Carry on with your tunnel vision. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #295 on: July 28, 2014, 07:28:54 PM »

I'll start.

My favorite is the delta smelt fish that is preventing farmers in this state from getting water to grow enough crops to feed this nation.  They are really important fish....apparently.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #296 on: July 28, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »
Grateful people (1%ers -99%ers) are happy people. Resentful braggarts in the 1% or "you owe me!" people in the 99th%? - not so much.

Study after study, libertarians (small "l") and conservatives happier than liberals.  I know I am.  

Who is bragging they are in the 1%?  No one here that I can see, so you must have made up shyte again.  I don't come close, that being said I do pay a lot of taxes and many people pay very little.  As stated, life isn't always fair.  It is what it is.  Some people deserve the services they receive and can't pay taxes.  Others, well they cheat the system badly and the rest of us have to pay.  Life isn't always fair.

Let me know the next made up statement you are going to make, though it might take me a week or two to get back to you so make sure it's a doozy.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:35:07 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #297 on: July 28, 2014, 08:12:36 PM »

Yeah...because the fact that a good amount of professional athletes are Christian, but only one (at the time) athlete had come out as gay had nothing to do with it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:15:05 PM by Warriors10 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #298 on: July 28, 2014, 08:16:04 PM »
Warriors, no one denies this, but at least admit the double standard.

Also, are you suggesting there were a lot of other athletes like Tebow?  If that is the case, seems a little odd that so much would be made of him since there are so many like him.  In my view, he was a unique situation, just as Sam is.

My two cents, but I don't buy for a second that there are plenty in the media and elsewhere that will shut you down immediately when religious overtones come into play vs other commentary.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #299 on: July 28, 2014, 08:50:45 PM »
Warriors, no one denies this, but at least admit the double standard.

Also, are you suggesting there were a lot of other athletes like Tebow?  If that is the case, seems a little odd that so much would be made of him since there are so many like him.  In my view, he was a unique situation, just as Sam is.

My two cents, but I don't buy for a second that there are plenty in the media and elsewhere that will shut you down immediately when religious overtones come into play vs other commentary.

Wait I'm confused are actually trying to say that you think a white christian guy coming out as a christian in a predominately christian white country in which one of the two national parties attempts to include christianity in it's agenda should be applauded as much as an african american coming out as gay in a country where a party is actively trying to prevent them from equality and a still huge amount of people actively hate that form of sexuality?

I'm sorry man I know you feel like a victim of discrimination because nobody wants to tolerate intolerance but there's different levels of being a minority and Sam hit the jackpot thus deserves to be applauded tremendously. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback