[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: espn-double standard much??  (Read 65139 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
espn-double standard much??
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:41:16 PM »
i looked all over espn for any mention of this.  sorry if i missed it somewhere, but let's just say donald sterling said he wouldn't draft any gays so he wouldn't have to deal with it and get out of the way.  and tony dungee hasn't even won any life time achievement awards from the naacp...yet. the reason i bring this up is because it's emblematic of our media(term used loosely) and how hypocritical it is

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/07/21/report-dungy-wouldnt-have-drafted-michael-sam-because-he-is-gay/
don't...don't don't don't don't

brandx

Re: espn-double standard much??
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 06:13:03 PM »
i looked all over espn for any mention of this.  sorry if i missed it somewhere, but let's just say donald sterling said he wouldn't draft any gays so he wouldn't have to deal with it and get out of the way.  and tony dungee hasn't even won any life time achievement awards from the naacp...yet. the reason i bring this up is because it's emblematic of our media(term used loosely) and how hypocritical it is

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/07/21/report-dungy-wouldnt-have-drafted-michael-sam-because-he-is-gay/

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/6398/dungy-would-not-have-selected-sam

#1  Try looking
#2  I don't even understand what your misspoken, convoluted point was in your post. I can only guess that you either feel persecuted by the liberal media or that only white people are picked on for saying stupid things. Blah,blah,blah.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »

The statements that "dungee" made are not even in the same universe as the statements that Sterling made.

And even if they were - which, again, they weren't - Sterling is a team owner in a position of power and influence who can make or break people's lives. Dungy is a TV commentator.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 07:27:23 PM »

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/6398/dungy-would-not-have-selected-sam

#1  Try looking
#2  I don't even understand what your misspoken, convoluted point was in your post. I can only guess that you either feel persecuted by the liberal media or that only white people are picked on for saying stupid things. Blah,blah,blah.

wow!  you sound like an angry person.  i said sorry if i missed it.  i went on espn.com and did not see it as i did on pittsburgh cbs., but thank you(i guess) for finding it.  nope, don't feel persecuted by anything and nope again, many people of all persuasions say stupid things.  hope you feel better soon though ?-(  

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »
The statements that "dungee" made are not even in the same universe as the statements that Sterling made.

And even if they were - which, again, they weren't - Sterling is a team owner in a position of power and influence who can make or break people's lives. Dungy is a TV commentator.

sorry about the "dungee"  that was stupid. 
you mean dungy was a tv commentator?  remember rush limbaugh's comments?  probably not in the same universe though, ey?  yous guys are funny though

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
I heard the quote on espn radio with sedano & stink. A double standard? Meh. Not a good thing to say by dungy? Yup. There are some things that are bigger than sports.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »
wow!  you sound like an angry person.  i said sorry if i missed it.  i went on espn.com and did not see it as i did on pittsburgh cbs., but thank you(i guess) for finding it.  nope, don't feel persecuted by anything and nope again, many people of all persuasions say stupid things.  hope you feel better soon though ?-(  

Thanks!!

People blaming the media is a pet peeve of mine. After re-reading what I wrote, it came out different than what I was thinking.

I'm not absolving the media, by the way. There are plenty of times where they can be blamed. I just think it's the easy way out to automatically put the blame there. And, with this board's history of attacking ESPN, I put 2+2 together and came up with whatever it was I came up with.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »
sorry about the "dungee"  that was stupid. 
you mean dungy was a tv commentator?  remember rush limbaugh's comments?  probably not in the same universe though, ey?  yous guys are funny though

No, not in the same universe. While the end results are equally disgusting, the intentions were much different.

Dungy's comments came from ignorance and religion. Rush's came from his political agenda that blacks are given everything and whites aren't.

GGGG

• All American

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »
Michael Sam is a questionable NFL talent, and going public only made his draft stock fall.  In this day and age, playing ability is the only important thing, and there were many questions.  If Michael Sam he becomes a good player, then the Rams got a steal.  I hope he has a good career.

From a team point of view Michael Sam is a distraction.  The media will waste a lot of coaches and players time asking the same stupid questions.  Players don't care about his orientation, or most coaches.  Apparently, most of his teammates at Missouri knew he was gay and did not care.  That generation doesn't really care about sexual orientation. That is not the issue.

I do think TD's skin color gives him leeway that others would never get.  Maybe he can lead us to a frank discussion on issues  affecting sports that will lead to a more universal understanding. (gay or race issues would be a good start)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:07:11 AM by mu-rara »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »
ya know, let's be honest here- tony dungy probably said what most people were thinking, but wisely chose not say.  dungy would have been better off not saying anything, but...i believe what dungy really means is, as a coach, dealing with the distractions the media will create here, will be a difficult atmosphere to coach in. the yahoo article, unfortunately has to drag tony dungy's "conservative christianity" into this, then proceeds to feed off that and blast him. most people today don't really care about michael sam, the homosexual football player.  most people only care about michael sam, the football player and whether or not he can play football as dan wetzel reasonably concludes  

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »
ya know, let's be honest here- tony dungy probably said what most people were thinking, but wisely chose not say.  dungy would have been better off not saying anything, but...i believe what dungy really means is, as a coach, dealing with the distractions the media will create here, will be a difficult atmosphere to coach in. the yahoo article, unfortunately has to drag tony dungy's "conservative christianity" into this, then proceeds to feed off that and blast him. most people today don't really care about michael sam, the homosexual football player.  most people only care about michael sam, the football player and whether or not he can play football as dan wetzel reasonably concludes  

eh... The guy traded for Keyshawn Johnson. And went to bat for Vick.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »
Simple reality is that a number of other people saying what Dungy said on ESPN would be suspended or worse, just the way it is.  I love Dungy, respect the heck out of him...he has done work for us in the past so I am bias.  I appreciate his honesty and he has the ability to be honest in a PC world without retribution.  Many others do not.

He may not be right, but he said what he felt and I applaud that, especially in today's world where you often cannot do that without retaliation of some kind.

brandx

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 10:42:57 PM »

Dungy SHOULD catch flak for this. He is saying he would deny employment for Sam based solely on his sexual orientation. Because it would be a distraction.

Dungy needs to remember that people like him were once denied an opportunity to coach (or even play) solely for being black.

I wonder if Dungy would have considered Jackie Robinson to be a "distraction".

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 05:42:17 AM »
Dungy SHOULD catch flak for this. He is saying he would deny employment for Sam based solely on his sexual orientation. Because it would be a distraction.

Dungy needs to remember that people like him were once denied an opportunity to coach (or even play) solely for being black.

along with chico's quote  +1000   it will be interesting to see how nbc handles this one.  as i noted from the yahoo article posted previously.  they will probably attack him from the "conservative christian" angle, then go in for the kill.  that will play better for the pc crowd because you have a couple of dynamics working here-"i mean you got the first mainstream african-american who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice looking guy.  i mean that's storybook man"  maybe uncle joe can help get him out of this one.   ;D

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 07:37:01 AM »
along with chico's quote  +1000   it will be interesting to see how nbc handles this one.  as i noted from the yahoo article posted previously.  they will probably attack him from the "conservative christian" angle, then go in for the kill.  that will play better for the pc crowd because you have a couple of dynamics working here-"i mean you got the first mainstream african-american who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice looking guy.  i mean that's storybook man"  maybe uncle joe can help get him out of this one.   ;D

What are you saying here?  Honestly. 

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 08:31:54 AM »

First of all, I hate the criticism that a player will "cause a distraction."  It is so vague that it ceases to mean anything.

But even beyond that, how about the simple irony that Tony Dungy, now a part of the media, is the one creating the damn distraction?

And all this from the guy who came out lobbying so strongly for teams to sign Michael Vick after his prison sentence - objectively a bigger distraction.   

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »

I have an issue with him "catching flak".  I disagree with his opinion, but I think he should absolutely feel free to share his opinion.  It may or may not be the prevailing viewpoint, but even extreme viewpoints(I wouldn't label this extreme) should be shared so we can have a discourse about it.

My whole thing is every time someone states an opinion and people react by attacking the speaker or trying to force the speaker to apologize we weaken our society and generally dumb people down while decreasing public discourse which was the whole point of founding this country in the first place.

I always remember a quote from the musical 1776(I know I'm a major nerd) from the congressional delegate from Rhode Island

"Well, in all my years I ain't never heard, seen nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about. Hell yeah! I'm for debating anything. Rhode Island says yea!"

Let's debate the merits of what Dungy said, but not the fact that he said it.  I'm glad he did.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:35 AM »
I have an issue with him "catching flak".  I disagree with his opinion, but I think he should absolutely feel free to share his opinion.  It may or may not be the prevailing viewpoint, but even extreme viewpoints(I wouldn't label this extreme) should be shared so we can have a discourse about it.

My whole thing is every time someone states an opinion and people react by attacking the speaker or trying to force the speaker to apologize we weaken our society and generally dumb people down while decreasing public discourse which was the whole point of founding this country in the first place.

I always remember a quote from the musical 1776(I know I'm a major nerd) from the congressional delegate from Rhode Island

"Well, in all my years I ain't never heard, seen nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about. Hell yeah! I'm for debating anything. Rhode Island says yea!"

Let's debate the merits of what Dungy said, but not the fact that he said it.  I'm glad he did.

I put little merit into what he said because he was willing to defend other "distractions" and even accept them on his own team. If he wants to address the gay portion of the situation (which I think is his real talking point, he just doesn't want to say it), then I'll put more merit into his statements.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 09:09:03 AM »

seriously?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 09:16:33 AM »

I asked the same question when Joe said that very thing 6 years ago, and then wondered if someone other than Joe or his side said it how much of an uproar it would have caused, how many heads exploded, etc.  Then I thought about those running a Dunkin Donuts for a bit.....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 09:21:19 AM »

Agree

The part that bothers me to no end is that the Flak Givers, the Flak Shooters tend to ramp up or dial back their targeting.   As has ALWAYS been the case and is even more of an issue in today's society, it isn't always what is said, but who says the what.   Free passes or wrist slaps are given out a plenty, and watching the double standard is half the fun sad part.

Reminds of a time when someone talked about a "light skinned" gentlemen without a dialect....it's all about who says it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:10:34 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »
eh... The guy traded for Keyshawn Johnson. And went to bat for Vick.

Not only that, but "distractions" are what prevented some people from integrating sports in the first place.

Good thing Branch Rickey had the balls to deal with the "distractions."  Too bad Dungy doesn't seem to have that courage.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 09:24:04 AM »
Simple reality is that a number of other people saying what Dungy said on ESPN would be suspended or worse, just the way it is.  I love Dungy, respect the heck out of him...he has done work for us in the past so I am bias.  I appreciate his honesty and he has the ability to be honest in a PC world without retribution.  Many others do not.

He may not be right, but he said what he felt and I applaud that, especially in today's world where you often cannot do that without retaliation of some kind.

Let's give Tony Dungy the benefit of the doubt - let's assume he's not a bigot. Given that, the BEST we can say about him is that he's a bit of a coward. He knows what's right but wants someone else to be Branch Rickey. He wants someone else's kids to go to integrated schools, someone else to live in the integrated community. His career is testimony to his own ability AND to people with courage who were willing to deal with the "distractions" that come with employment based on merit without regard to color, sexual orientation, etc. You want to applaud his hypocrisy as honesty and lack of PC? Fine, but it just makes you as hypocritical and wrongheaded as Dungy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 09:27:52 AM »
Let's give Tony Dungy the benefit of the doubt - let's assume he's not a bigot. Given that, the BEST we can say about him is that he's a bit of a coward. He knows what's right but wants someone else to be Branch Rickey. He wants someone else's kids to go to integrated schools, someone else to live in the integrated community. His career is testimony to his own ability AND to people with courage who were willing to deal with the "distractions" that come with employment based on merit without regard to color, sexual orientation, etc. You want to applaud his hypocrisy as honesty and lack of PC? Fine, but it just makes you as hypocritical and wrongheaded as Dungy.

Exactly.  His career is a testament to the courage of others to stand up to the status quo and to change the system.  It is very likely that Dungy would not have been an NFL coach had he been born a generation earlier.

But when it comes to integrating open homosexuals into professional sports?  That's someone else's problem I guess.

feedback