Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hunt Article about Carlino  (Read 10514 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Hunt Article about Carlino
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/transfer-matt-carlino-took-long-road-to-marquette-b99313200z1-267876921.html

Point guard committed to Indiana, then went from UCLA to BYU before coming to Golden Eagles
By Michael Hunt of the Journal Sentinel July 20, 2014
submit to reddit EMAIL PRINT (15) COMMENTS
Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski often talks about the extreme transitory nature of college basketball, partially because of its recent impact on the Golden Eagles.

Gabe Levin transferred to Marquette after first committing to Hofstra and then leaving Loyola Marymount. Levin will be eligible for the 2015-'16 season along with fellow swingman Wally Ellenson, who transferred from Minnesota.

Then there is Matt Carlino, the new Marquette point guard who is a poster child for the sport's shell game.

In 2010, Carlino committed to Tom Crean at Indiana after finishing Bloomington (Ind.) South High a year early. Carlino backed out of his commitment with the Hoosiers and accepted a scholarship to UCLA, where he suffered a concussion and never got off the bench in seven games with the Bruins.

Similar to Marquette center Luke Fischer, who left Indiana during the first semester last season, Carlino departed UCLA in December of 2010 and soon announced his decision to transfer to Brigham Young.

As he did in high school, Carlino placed himself on an accelerated academic schedule at BYU with the intention of completing school to make things easier for himself by his senior year with the Cougars. But by the time he received his diploma last year, he was ready to move on from Provo.

So just as Trent Lockett arrived from Arizona State as a graduate student two years ago to play his final year of eligibility at Marquette, Carlino will have one season with the Golden Eagles.

Knowing he'd lose most of the Buzz Williams signees, Wojciechowski began looking for immediate help when he took the job on April 1. The so-called Russell Wilson rule that allows graduated student-athletes to continue their playing careers elsewhere without penalty immediately put Carlino on Wojciechowski's radar.

"It really helped when Coach Wojo called because I was already interested in Marquette when he took the job here," Carlino said Thursday during a break from summer school classes.

"The day I said I was leaving was the day Wojo got the job here. I had followed him from Duke. And then there are my family ties to Marquette. My uncle played here and I have a bunch of family here. I got lucky that Coach got the job here. When that happened, it made the process a lot easier."

Carlino's family moved to Scottsdale, Ariz., after he finished high school, but he sensed he had a made a mistake once he arrived at UCLA.

"It's not the most wholesome community at UCLA," Carlino said. "I didn't like it from when I got there. It just didn't feel right from a basketball standpoint, from everything.

"When I went there, I was young. You make that decision and it's tough. I picked a name rather than getting down to the nitty-gritty. You don't think about that stuff when you're a kid and your ego is so big."

Although he is not Mormon, Carlino said he chose BYU because its social climate was more suitable to him than the UCLA scene. He said he liked everything in Provo except basketball by his redshirt junior year. The fact that he had planned to get his undergraduate degree in three years gave him an escape route through the NCAA loophole.

"I had a really good experience at BYU, but I left for a reason," Carlino said. "I wasn't fully happy with the basketball situation. I wanted to give myself a better opportunity for my final year."

Carlino averaged 12.5 points and 4.6 assists and shot 39.7% in two-plus seasons while exclusively playing the point with the Cougars. How he fits in at Marquette remains to be seen, but he fills an immediate need.

Senior point guard Derrick Wilson struggled mightily to score last season, while freshman Duane Wilson sat out last year with a stress fracture. Senior Todd Mayo and sophomore Jajaun Johnson are the primary shooters for a team that could not shoot last season, while sophomore John Dawson is a combo guard.

Carlino, who is going through summer workouts with his new teammates, said Wojciechowski told him he would not be categorized by position.

"It's just going to be guards on the floor," Carlino said. "I've always brought the ball up the court, but whatever we need to do to make this team the best possible is what we're going to do."

In his only season at Marquette, Lockett immediately established himself as a team leader during the Golden Eagles' Elite Eight run. Carlino hopes to assume a similar role.

"I've always seen myself as a leader," he said. "But it's a unique situation with me coming in for a year. I think it's going to be a process. I think the guys see me working and they see what I can bring to the table. I'm earning their respect in being the player that I am."
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Hunt Article about Carlino
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:07:21 PM »
The last bit about Carlino "not being categorized by position" is interesting. It almost sounds as if Carlino will not be bringing the ball up the court next season.
TAMU

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »
Wow. Why didn't he like UCLA's campus life? There's a lot that goes on there. Hollywood premieres in Westwood, NBAers shooting hoops at Pauley, Tinsel Town actors/actresses going to school with you, top notch facilities and programs, great weather, tons of hot babes...
SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 04:21:08 PM »
Wow. Why didn't he like UCLA's campus life? There's a lot that goes on there. Hollywood premieres in Westwood, NBAers shooting hoops at Pauley, Tinsel Town actors/actresses going to school with you, top notch facilities and programs, great weather, tons of hot babes...

Well he transferred to Provo....maybe tells you something about his preferences.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »
Hmmm..

"It's just going to be guards on the floor,"

That's very interesting.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
The last bit about Carlino "not being categorized by position" is interesting. It almost sounds as if Carlino will not be bringing the ball up the court next season.

If Carlino, Duane and Mayo all start - a distinct possibility - any of the three could have the basketball at any time. Throw Dawson and, yes, Derrick in that mix, too.

Wojo might not think MU has a prototypical PG on the roster, but he has a lot of guys who can be strong with the ball. It would be wise to take advantage of all of their skills and not pigeon-hole any of them into a particular label or role. 
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »
Steve Taylor is the new Lazar (undersized center).
SS Marquette

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »
It wouldnt surpise me if Wojo went with the 4 guard offense a la 2005 U of I and Villanova when they had Scotty Reynolds.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 05:12:34 PM »
I believe Duane will be our PG and Matt and Mayo will play different positions this season. I would be shocked if Matt was not getting 30 minutes a game. Sounds like he adjusted well and think he plays very big role.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »
I believe Duane will be our PG and Matt and Mayo will play different positions this season. I would be shocked if Matt was not getting 30 minutes a game. Sounds like he adjusted well and think he plays very big role.

Pretty sure Duane won't be played as a PG.  From what I've heard Wojo sees him as more of a 2 guard.  Yet it sounds like Wojo isn't hell bent on having a defined PG.  We will definitely be a 3 guard lineup at all times minimum, with Burton at the 4 and Steve/Juan at the 5 till Fischer is eligible.

I'm excited to see what Duane can bring, yet, I feel some here have really high expectations for what he'll be able to deliver this upcoming season.  I'm not expecting great things from him this season.  Would be very surprised if he averaged more than 10ppg.  Very surprised.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »
If there's not going to be a designated PG, it will be very interesting to see how it gets settled each possession who brings the ball up the court.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 07:41:06 PM »
I read it to mean that all of the guards on the floor will be interchangeable at the 1-2-3.   Or switchables, as it were.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »
I read it to mean that all of the guards on the floor will be interchangeable at the 1-2-3.   Or switchables, as it were.   

Same here.

There will be times when some combo of Duane Wilson, Derrick Wilson, Carlino, and Dawson will be on the floor. They can all play the point and any of them can bring the ball up.

I would also venture a guess that we will have a lot less trouble against the press this year.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 09:30:03 PM »
Thought that word was banned from MU basketball!  :P
Goal is National Championship

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 09:37:34 PM »

Reeves Nelson.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 09:57:54 PM »
Steve Taylor is the new Lazar (undersized center).

So far Steve Taylor's not even the new Dwight Burke (undersized center). He's not in the same hemisphere as Lazar.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »
Same here.

There will be times when some combo of Duane Wilson, Derrick Wilson, Carlino, and Dawson will be on the floor. They can all play the point and any of them can bring the ball up.

I would also venture a guess that we will have a lot less trouble against the press this year.

In hindsight, pretty ridiculous that we didn't get pressed every game

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 10:44:57 PM »
I think other coaches quickly realized that they were better off to let MU shoot.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 08:02:40 AM »
I expect that Wojo will make line changes on nearly every possession for offense and defense.  Carlino will only sub in to bring the ball up the floor.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 08:04:22 AM »
So far Steve Taylor's not even the new Dwight Burke (undersized center). He's not in the same hemisphere as Lazar.

But, maybe Taylor communicates with the dead, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 09:13:50 AM »
Childish from me, but when did this become known as the "so-called Russell Wilson" rule? I understand local flavoring to the writing but no need to make crap up for a dumbed down audience.

As for guards, throw them all out there. Who really cares? Last year was a clusterunnatural carnal knowledge of epic proportions why even bother the tactical break down of 1s and 2s and what has to be here can't be there. Play the best and it figures itself out. Also, Duane Wilson will be a star.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »
Childish from me, but when did this become known as the "so-called Russell Wilson" rule? I understand local flavoring to the writing but no need to make crap up for a dumbed down audience.

I'm a Northwestern fan, who cannot stand UW but it seems to be in national speak too.  After all, following his transfer he made it to the Rose Bowl and then has since won a Super Bowl.  He's kind of a big deal.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 09:44:28 AM »
In hindsight, pretty ridiculous that we didn't get pressed every game

Why?  Derrick didn't turn the ball over very much at all against the press.  In fact, that was one of the things he did very well.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 10:23:59 AM »

Why?  Derrick didn't turn the ball over very much at all against the press.  In fact, that was one of the things he did very well.

We almost NEVER were pressed...and in the rare occasions we were - Derrick did not look solid or confident with ball...at all...either in a press situation or in the halfcourt.  Obviously he rarely faced intense ball pressure in the halfcourt as teams sagged 5' off of him...but when teams did crowd him..he was not very solid with the ball.  Derrick if crowded by a defender on the perimeter...rarely attacked him at all..but instead went into a shell mode turning sideways and simply tried to get rid of the ball.  How often did we really see Derrick take his guy off the bounce and collapse the defense and create an easy look for a teammate?

Dawson also struggled against intense ball pressure....yet faced it more per minute played as he was defended closely in the halfcourt...instead of having the "luxury" of being sagged off of 5 feet.

Sorry if again this comes across as hating on Derrick....it's just calling it like it was.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 10:28:17 AM »
40 minutes.  Ners must have a "Derrick Wilson was mentioned on Scoop" alert of some kind...

feedback