[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hunt Article about Carlino  (Read 10600 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Hunt Article about Carlino
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
40 minutes.  Ners must have a "Derrick Wilson was mentioned on Scoop" alert of some kind...
I was wondering if you were running some kind of experiment...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 10:39:09 AM »
I'm a Northwestern fan, who cannot stand UW but it seems to be in national speak too.  After all, following his transfer he made it to the Rose Bowl and then has since won a Super Bowl.  He's kind of a big deal.

Interesting. I live in New Jersey draped by the shadow that is the NY media and ESPN (so often the driver of the national speak race car) and have never heard that reference. Perhaps it's not national but a Big Ten thing? More upper Midwest thing bleeding down into the prairie farm basket? Large footprint in and of itself but not predominant. Someone from the PNW or the Delta or SoCal may know better.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »
40 minutes.  Ners must have a "Derrick Wilson was mentioned on Scoop" alert of some kind...

Funny - Perhaps if you didn't make inaccurate statements regarding him...there wouldn't be a need to comment.  Not surprised there wasn't any rebuttal to what I posted - as it was the true reality of last season.  Not sure why you feel the need to falsify or exaggerate the point.  Jesu84's point was correct - in hindsight it was pretty ridiculous that teams didn't press us more - whether it was Derrick or Dawson handling the ball.  They both struggled against intense ball pressure.  I just can acknowledge that Dawson did as well, instead of trying to suggest he didn't.  That's the crap that continues to perpetuate these discussions - when you falsify and exaggerate the reality of Derrick's performance last season.

I'll leave it at that.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 11:00:54 AM »
Interesting. I live in New Jersey draped by the shadow that is the NY media and ESPN (so often the driver of the national speak race car) and have never heard that reference. Perhaps it's not national but a Big Ten thing? More upper Midwest thing bleeding down into the prairie farm basket? Large footprint in and of itself but not predominant. Someone from the PNW or the Delta or SoCal may know better.

I only know it as the Trent Lockett Rule!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 11:04:28 AM »
I only know it as the Trent Lockett Rule!

I live in Seattle and we know it as the Trent Lockett Rule. Who is this Russell Wilson?

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 11:08:18 AM »
Funny - Perhaps if you didn't make inaccurate statements regarding him...there wouldn't be a need to comment.  Not surprised there wasn't any rebuttal to what I posted - as it was the true reality of last season.  Not sure why you feel the need to falsify or exaggerate the point.  Jesu84's point was correct - in hindsight it was pretty ridiculous that teams didn't press us more - whether it was Derrick or Dawson handling the ball.  They both struggled against intense ball pressure.  I just can acknowledge that Dawson did as well, instead of trying to suggest he didn't.  That's the crap that continues to perpetuate these discussions - when you falsify and exaggerate the reality of Derrick's performance last season.

I'll leave it at that.

I don't know if this is accurate but I read his first comment as obviously trying to bait you into getting all worked up... You bit.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »
Funny - Perhaps if you didn't make inaccurate statements regarding him...there wouldn't be a need to comment.  Not surprised there wasn't any rebuttal to what I posted - as it was the true reality of last season.  

You didn't provide any evidence that Derrick struggled against the press.  Only subjective comments like "he didn't look solid."  How am I supposed to "rebut" that?  

And then you went into your typical Derrick rant, which I have said repeatedly that I am going to ignore.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 11:43:46 AM »

You didn't provide any evidence that Derrick struggled against the press.  Only subjective comments like "he didn't look solid."  How am I supposed to "rebut" that?  

And then you went into your typical Derrick rant, which I have said repeatedly that I am going to ignore.

Sorry I can't upload game film here to show it to you...and if you didn't recognize that in watching last season...then you aren't very astute in seeing the reality of what's unfolding on the court.  Do you deny Derrick was not guarded within 4 feet 80% of the time by the opposition?  Do you not agree it is hard to turn the ball over when no one guards you within 4 feet?  Do you feel Derrick faced much full court pressure last season?  The answer is No - he didn't face much full court pressure, so wasn't exposed to the challenge it presented much...therefore had a very limited exposure or opportunity to turn it over against a full court press.

And...it's not a rant...its stating the facts.  This isn't a Derrick vs Dawson thing - I'm not saying Dawson handled pressure well...or would have handled it better than Derrick - the point is Derrick rarely faced any intense ball pressure...but when he did he generally went into a shell turning sideways to the basket...rarely tried to attack the pressure.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
And...it's not a rant...its stating the facts.  This isn't a Derrick vs Dawson thing - I'm not saying Dawson handled pressure well...or would have handled it better than Derrick - the point is Derrick rarely faced any intense ball pressure...but when he did he generally went into a shell turning sideways to the basket...rarely tried to attack the pressure.

I really don't like getting caught up in this, but you did go on a rant about Derrick.  The point Sultan made was only in regards to Derrick's performance against the press.

Why?  Derrick didn't turn the ball over very much at all against the press.  In fact, that was one of the things he did very well.

I have bolded the parts in your response that was not in regards to Derrick's performance against the press.

We almost NEVER were pressed...and in the rare occasions we were - Derrick did not look solid or confident with ball...at all...either in a press situation or in the halfcourt.  Obviously he rarely faced intense ball pressure in the halfcourt as teams sagged 5' off of him...but when teams did crowd him..he was not very solid with the ball.  Derrick if crowded by a defender on the perimeter...rarely attacked him at all..but instead went into a shell mode turning sideways and simply tried to get rid of the ball.  How often did we really see Derrick take his guy off the bounce and collapse the defense and create an easy look for a teammate?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 12:09:46 PM »
Do you feel Derrick faced much full court pressure last season?  The answer is No - he didn't face much full court pressure, so wasn't exposed to the challenge it presented much...therefore had a very limited exposure or opportunity to turn it over against a full court press.

Fine.  But when he did, he performed well.

I mean, if it was such a weakness of his, why didn't opposing coaches press him more often?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 12:21:18 PM »

Fine.  But when he did, he performed well.

I mean, if it was such a weakness of his, why didn't opposing coaches press him more often?

No - He didn't perform well against the press...do you recall one instance where we were pressed and he beat the press and turned it into an easy 3 on 2, or 2 on 1 type of fast break?  We had virtually NO fast break points last season.  As for as for how much press we faced last season - I'd put the number at less than 50 maybe 70 possessions for the year.

And why wouldn't opposing coaches press him more often?  What's the point of running the risk of your press potentially* getting beat, and having numbers....when you know you get to have a 5 on 4 defense to offense advantage in the halfcourt due to the opposition team's PG not needing to be defended within 5 feet.  I mean come on...nobody even Buzz..denied that we were playing 4 on 5 on in the halfcourt.

Duh.  Are you really this basketball dense Sultan?  I've always felt you at least had a reasonable understanding of the game.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 12:27:49 PM »
Not about to get in the DWil stuff, but jesmu84's original point stands. As a team MU scored 61 points on 83 possessions (.735 PP) against the press, a below average mark that ranked in the 16th percentile of all teams. That's pretty bad.

Of those 83 possessions, 21 resulted in a turnover. That's awful. Here is the breakdown:
5- Davante
4- Derrick, Mayo
3- Jake
1- Juan, JJJ, Jamil Dawson, STJ

Of those 83 possessions, Derrick and Jamil handled over half of them togehter, followed by Mayo and Jake.

Here are the facts. Make of them what you will.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 12:48:29 PM »
I live in Seattle and we know it as the Trent Lockett Rule. Who is this Russell Wilson?

In Las Vegas it's known as the "Kevin Kruger rule".  He played for his dad during the 2006-2007 season and helped UNLV to the sweet sixteen.  This was way before Wilson and Lockett.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:38:06 PM by VegasWarrior77 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 12:54:53 PM »
I have heard "Russell Wilson rule" in Texas. I think I have heard it on ESPN as well
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:38 PM »
Not about to get in the DWil stuff, but jesmu84's original point stands. As a team MU scored 61 points on 83 possessions (.735 PP) against the press, a below average mark that ranked in the 16th percentile of all teams. That's pretty bad.

Of those 83 possessions, 21 resulted in a turnover. That's awful. Here is the breakdown:
5- Davante
4- Derrick, Mayo
3- Jake
1- Juan, JJJ, Jamil Dawson, STJ

Of those 83 possessions, Derrick and Jamil handled over half of them togehter, followed by Mayo and Jake.

Here are the facts. Make of them what you will.

Well there ya go.  I was wrong.  But at least there were stats to show it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 02:07:42 PM »

You must have forgotten because when we were pressed and trapped last season we struggled to bring the ball across. We also had numerous 5 second calls. These were hallmarks of Al's teams who played ferocious defense which made last year all the more painful.

Ners' point is spot on - every team we played sagged off of Wilson. 

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 06:59:35 PM »
Sorry I can't upload game film here to show it to you...and if you didn't recognize that in watching last season...then you aren't very astute in seeing the reality of what's unfolding on the court.  Do you deny Derrick was not guarded within 4 feet 80% of the time by the opposition?  Do you not agree it is hard to turn the ball over when no one guards you within 4 feet?  Do you feel Derrick faced much full court pressure last season?  The answer is No - he didn't face much full court pressure, so wasn't exposed to the challenge it presented much...therefore had a very limited exposure or opportunity to turn it over against a full court press.

Ners...you need to...learn...what a comma is...how it is used...and when a prop...er time to use...pauses are...in your sentences...sometimes I...feel like you might...be Freeway... .

Anyways, with that said, Derrick vs. Dawson is now spilling over into new point guard threads.  Good stuff.  I participated in those for long enough.  Enjoy this thread, I'll be in the Stone, Noskowiak, and Ellenson ones until Wilson overtakes those.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:01:21 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter