Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mike Hunt Says...  (Read 29980 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Mike Hunt Says...
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2014, 11:33:18 AM »

The entire article and set of maps from last year is interesting

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6?op=1

The way I read this map is that Milwaukee and St. Louis are very sophisticated cities, on par with the likes of NYC and LA.

Suffice to say, the usage of "soda" in MKE and StL clearly has something to do with the brewing heritage of those cities... I just can't connect the dots.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2014, 11:40:16 AM »
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel??????

Isn't that for cleaning up the southern portal?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2014, 11:48:15 AM »
Do they still make Graf's? Their root beer, Grandpa Graf's, wasn't bad actually. The brand featured a stylized guy in a Bavarian hat and lederhosen with a Bismark stache.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
Usage of the word "anymore."  Heck, even Mississippi and Alabama have this one figured out... what's your deal, Indiana?

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2014, 02:37:23 PM »
I learned to appreciate Vernor's while working in Detroit and pick it up in Wisconsin at Pick N Save stores.  Not fond of diet Vernor's.

I feel the same way about Sprecher's Lo-Cal root beer.

yuck!
SS Marquette

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2014, 02:42:47 PM »
Anyone else a fan of Jones Soda? That's some quality pop.
Bring back FFP!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »

Despite the laugh at the jones soda is quality pop phrase I had to say their cream soda and root beer are amazing but their ginger ale is an abomination.  That's all I tried
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »
What do you call the white papery substance you use to blow your nose with?

a tissue

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2014, 05:25:06 PM »

A Seattle Original!!

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2014, 07:34:49 AM »
I miss Graf's

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »
Do they still make Graf's? Their root beer, Grandpa Graf's, wasn't bad actually. The brand featured a stylized guy in a Bavarian hat and lederhosen with a Bismark stache.

I still see it on and off in stores around here and have had one or two within the last couple of years.  Good stuff.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
I feel the same way about Sprecher's Lo-Cal root beer.

yuck!

The only good thing about SLCRB is that it's labelled for what it is: low calorie.  It's amazing how many people are duped into the whole "diet" soda thing... if sugar is bad for your diet, so are artificial sweeteners.

If it isn't sweetened exclusively by something ending in -ose (except sucralose), it's crap.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
The only good thing about SLCRB is that it's labelled for what it is: low calorie.  It's amazing how many people are duped into the whole "diet" soda thing... if sugar is bad for your diet, so are artificial sweeteners.

If it isn't sweetened exclusively by something ending in -ose (except sucralose), it's crap.

I dunno man, I think Diet Dr. Pepper really does taste like regular Dr. Pepper!!!!!!!!!

brandx

« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »
Usage of the word "anymore."  Heck, even Mississippi and Alabama have this one figured out... what's your deal, Indiana?

Other than the Northern 10% of the state and Indianapolis, Indiana is even more hick than Mississippi or Alabama.

They had the largest KKK organization in the country and the John Birch Society originated in Indiana.

Guess the hillbillies needed more than one organization to hate blacks, Jews, and Catholics.

Plus they can't even spell potato!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2014, 06:32:44 PM »
I dunno man, I think Diet Dr. Pepper really does taste like regular Dr. Pepper!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Pepper is the best of the diet drinks. For ginger ale I remember Vernor's being my favorite

[/img]

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2014, 10:12:17 AM »

Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper is the only diet soda I can stomach.  Probably because the aftertaste of the artificial cherry and vanilla flavors drowns out the chemically sweetened taste.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2014, 10:44:40 AM »
The only diet offering in the soda machine in McCormick's lobby my freshman year was Tab.

How I survived that year remains a mystery. Must have been the nutritious eating!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »
The only diet offering in the soda machine in McCormick's lobby my freshman year was Tab.

How I survived that year remains a mystery. Must have been the nutritious eating!

Lemon Pepsi! "Lemon" was code for No Cal.

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2014, 03:30:55 PM »
How the Golden Eagles might line up this season

By Michael Hunt

For the second consecutive year they've lost their top returning scorer in similar ways.

Vander Blue left after his junior year to give the NBA a shot. It hasn't worked out the way he wanted so far, but he made some money overseas last year. Earning a living also was the driving influence for Todd Mayo, and more power to him as he seeks a job overseas, but that's where the parallels end.

Blue's surprising departure pretty much crippled Marquette last year. With him, it would have been good NCAA tournament team. Without a go-to scorer, the offensively challenged Golden Eagles couldn't even make the NIT.

Mayo's departure won't radically change Marquette's fortunes. The Golden Eagles probably would have struggled to make the NIT with him. They'll be somewhere in that ballpark without him. Although he had shown some signs of improvement, he wasn't on the verge of a huge breakout year like Blue. Still inconsistent, Mayo probably would have been a 12- to 15-point scorer on a team that was bringing back not much offense beyond Deonte Burton.

So how do they line up this year with just 10 players?

Good question.

Right now, I'd say:

PG Derrick Wilson
 SG Matt Carlino
 C Steve Taylor Jr.
 SF Juan Anderson
 PF Deonte Burton

Of course, this changes after Dec. 14, when center Luke Fischer becomes eligible. Taylor, at 6-7, can move back to one of the forward positions. But Taylor still has to pick up his game. He was a disappointment last year after coming off a knee injury. Even when he was physically able, Buzz Williams sat him. Fischer has developed a nice jump hook that's hard to stop from a 7-footer, so he'll add a little offense along with a defensive presence around the rim. Anderson has never been a numbers guy. Burton is probably Marquette's best overall player at the moment, a guy who can fill a variety of positions at 6-4, but he struggled defensively last year. It will be interesting to see what the lone incoming freshman, Sandy Cohen, can provide.

I go with experience in the backcourt right now with Wilson, a senior, and Carlino, a graduate student. But Wilson struggled to score so much last year that teams sometimes played Marquette 4-on-5. Carlino is an unknown. He left BYU because he was coming off the bench. He's a point guard, but with the loss of Mayo he'll play both. The best all-around guard might be Duane Wilson, who missed last year with a stress fracture. He could be in the starting lineup before long. John Dawson showed form and promise as a shooter last season. There are still a few questions on Jajaun Johnson, who, like Taylor, fell deep into Williams' doghouse last year.

No doubt, all 10 guys will have to contribute. Steve Wojciechowski will probably add another body or two via transfer or walk-on, but he'll probably only get a practice body at this point. That's the thing. If someone is hurt, sick or in class, the Golden Eagles won't have enough players to scrimmage. Good thing for them, they have young assistants who played at a high level and could act as fill-ins.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/269415471.html

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2014, 03:42:55 PM »

By Michael Hunt

For the second consecutive year they've lost their top returning scorer in similar ways.

Vander Blue left after his junior year to give the NBA a shot. It hasn't worked out the way he wanted so far, but he made some money overseas last year. Earning a living also was the driving influence for Todd Mayo, and more power to him as he seeks a job overseas, but that's where the parallels end.

Blue's surprising departure pretty much crippled Marquette last year. With him, it would have been good NCAA tournament team. Without a go-to scorer, the offensively challenged Golden Eagles couldn't even make the NIT.

Mayo's departure won't radically change Marquette's fortunes. The Golden Eagles probably would have struggled to make the NIT with him. They'll be somewhere in that ballpark without him. Although he had shown some signs of improvement, he wasn't on the verge of a huge breakout year like Blue. Still inconsistent, Mayo probably would have been a 12- to 15-point scorer on a team that was bringing back not much offense beyond Deonte Burton.

Good question.

Right now, I'd say:

PG Derrick Wilson
 SG Matt Carlino
 C Steve Taylor Jr.
 SF Juan Anderson
 PF Deonte Burton

Of course, this changes after Dec. 14, when center Luke Fischer becomes eligible. Taylor, at 6-7, can move back to one of the forward positions. But Taylor still has to pick up his game. He was a disappointment last year after coming off a knee injury. Even when he was physically able, Buzz Williams sat him. Fischer has developed a nice jump hook that's hard to stop from a 7-footer, so he'll add a little offense along with a defensive presence around the rim. Anderson has never been a numbers guy. Burton is probably Marquette's best overall player at the moment, a guy who can fill a variety of positions at 6-4, but he struggled defensively last year. It will be interesting to see what the lone incoming freshman, Sandy Cohen, can provide.

I go with experience in the backcourt right now with Wilson, a senior, and Carlino, a graduate student. But Wilson struggled to score so much last year that teams sometimes played Marquette 4-on-5. Carlino is an unknown. He left BYU because he was coming off the bench. He's a point guard, but with the loss of Mayo he'll play both. The best all-around guard might be Duane Wilson, who missed last year with a stress fracture. He could be in the starting lineup before long. John Dawson showed form and promise as a shooter last season. There are still a few questions on Jajaun Johnson, who, like Taylor, fell deep into Williams' doghouse last year.

No doubt, all 10 guys will have to contribute. Steve Wojciechowski will probably add another body or two via transfer or walk-on, but he'll probably only get a practice body at this point. That's the thing. If someone is hurt, sick or in class, the Golden Eagles won't have enough players to scrimmage. Good thing for them, they have young assistants who played at a high level and could act as fill-ins.
Derrick Wilson starting. Uh Oh! I can see ban hammer coming down. How many posts?
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »
Derrick Wilson starting. Uh Oh! I can see ban hammer coming down. How many posts?

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2014, 03:54:12 PM »
Mike Hunt is pulling stuff out of his a$$ again.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2014, 04:02:25 PM »

By Michael Hunt

Good question.

Right now, I'd say:

PG Derrick Wilson
 SG Matt Carlino
 C Steve Taylor Jr.
 SF Juan Anderson
 PF Deonte Burton

This has absolutely nothing to do about soda.

PG - Pepsi Light (w/the lemon and saccharine)
SG - Ginger Beer - goes great with bourbon
SF - Jones Green Apple - switchable
PF - Dr. Pepper
C - Sprecher Root Beer - Solid rebounder

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »

Won't Levin and Ellenson be able to practice with the team this season?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »
Won't Levin and Ellenson be able to practice with the team this season?

Yes.