[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's going on at the pro-am?  (Read 5086 times)

🏀

• All American
What's going on at the pro-am?
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »
Heard all MU players, except Burton, did not participate this weekend.

The Lens

• All American
Re: What's going on at the pro-am?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:39:15 PM »
Must not be a point of emphasis with Wojo.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 10:25:02 PM »
Per twitter, and a youtube vid, Burton had 47, including a sick one-handed 360 reverse dunk, in one game.

https://twitter.com/mubbnation/status/491051635523592193

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »
I heard Duane scored 79

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 10:42:56 PM »
It's great that they get to play against good talent and all, but I'm not a fan of this simply for how unstructured it is. It's a great place to undo all of the lessons-learned and dos' and don'ts taught by coaches. Basically, the home run derby of the Marquette offseason.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:23:04 PM »
It's great that they get to play against good talent and all, but I'm not a fan of this simply for how unstructured it is. It's a great place to undo all of the lessons-learned and dos' and don'ts taught by coaches. Basically, the home run derby of the Marquette offseason.

But it's almost like, "Guys, get the run and gun ballhog out of your system."

I understand where you're coming from, but there's more structure there: guys come from D-1/professional clubs, so running sets may NOT be there, they can read and react accordingly.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:47:12 PM »
But it's almost like, "Guys, get the run and gun ballhog out of your system."

I understand where you're coming from, but there's more structure there: guys come from D-1/professional clubs, so running sets may NOT be there, they can read and react accordingly.

It's great until Burton wrecks his knee playing street ball.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »
Per twitter, and a youtube vid, Burton had 47, including a sick one-handed 360 reverse dunk, in one game.

https://twitter.com/mubbnation/status/491051635523592193

That dunk was disgusting. Awesomely disgusting. I also liked seeing Burton hit a few treys in there. If that is part of his offensive arsenal...he will be really special
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 08:14:26 AM »
That dunk was disgusting. Awesomely disgusting. I also liked seeing Burton hit a few treys in there. If that is part of his offensive arsenal...he will be really special

Well...Deonte was 4 of 8 from 3 point land last season...think he's got that in his game....yet when you can bully and get your way to the basket ANYTIME you want - what's the point of settling for a 3?  Probably the bigger reason why he only shot 8 of them last season.  He's going to be a stud.  Best potential in a player at MU since Wade.  Man among boys.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:28:47 AM »
Well...Deonte was 4 of 8 from 3 point land last season...think he's got that in his game....yet when you can bully and get your way to the basket ANYTIME you want - what's the point of settling for a 3?  Probably the bigger reason why he only shot 8 of them last season.  He's going to be a stud.  Best potential in a player at MU since Wade.  Man among boys.

A lot of potential, but Jamil probably had more than Burton.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »

An extra point?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 08:36:30 AM »

They're going to be playing ball somewhere.  Might as well do it in a semi-structured environment like this one against higher level talent.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »
Agree, Sultan.  Better to play in the 'shootemup' league against other quality players than play horse with your brother.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »
A lot of potential, but Jamil probably had more than Burton.

I tend to think Jamil's "potential" has long been overrated by many.  He looks the part...and has nice measurables....yet....he isn't overly basketball athletic.  He plays very upright/erect...doesn't have great body lean, nor a very explosive first step.  Rarely could Jamil do much off the dribble.  Eventually the "potential" needs to be realized and show up...and in my view...it showed up...he got what he could out of his ability.  Of course he would have put up better numbers last season if he wasn't paired with such a limited backcourt.

Deonte in my view has a lot more potential than Jamil.  Much more physical...lower center of gravity...plays with great body lean, can get low to the floor...and has a far more explosive first step...and a consistent ability to beat defenders off the dribble.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 09:51:44 AM »
I think Jamil's potential has a lot to do with his lofty national rankings early on in his high school career, which IMO has warped a lot of fan's thoughts about what he can do and what he can turn into. 

Jamil finished his high school career as the 94th rated prospect by Rivals.  Now if he would have come to MU by *rising up to* that level, and produced the same numbers, we probably would have been satisfied with his production.  But of course we think of the guy who I believe was a top 10 guy as a sophomore, and judge his performance through that prism, and are disappointed.

In the end, Burton's final rating was higher than Jamil's.  I think Burton has the potential to have more impact on the collegiate level than Jamil did.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 09:54:49 AM »
    Of course he would have put up better numbers last season if he wasn't paired with such a limited backcourt.

So close Ners---almost an entire post without a dig at DWill and Jake----yet couldn't quite do it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
So close Ners---almost an entire post without a dig at DWill and Jake----yet couldn't quite do it.

Well played.  Got a legitimate LOL out of that.  I'll see what I can do...

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »
I think Jamil's potential has a lot to do with his lofty national rankings early on in his high school career, which IMO has warped a lot of fan's thoughts about what he can do and what he can turn into. 

Jamil finished his high school career as the 94th rated prospect by Rivals.  Now if he would have come to MU by *rising up to* that level, and produced the same numbers, we probably would have been satisfied with his production.  But of course we think of the guy who I believe was a top 10 guy as a sophomore, and judge his performance through that prism, and are disappointed.

In the end, Burton's final rating was higher than Jamil's.  I think Burton has the potential to have more impact on the collegiate level than Jamil did.

potential was never the issue with Wilson it was his mental makeup/toughness.  Fell into the old looks like Tarzan plays like Jane category.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 12:04:14 PM »
I tend to think Jamil's "potential" has long been overrated by many.  He looks the part...and has nice measurables....yet....he isn't overly basketball athletic.  He plays very upright/erect...doesn't have great body lean, nor a very explosive first step.  Rarely could Jamil do much off the dribble.  Eventually the "potential" needs to be realized and show up...and in my view...it showed up...he got what he could out of his ability.  Of course he would have put up better numbers last season if he wasn't paired with such a limited backcourt.

Deonte in my view has a lot more potential than Jamil.  Much more physical...lower center of gravity...plays with great body lean, can get low to the floor...and has a far more explosive first step...and a consistent ability to beat defenders off the dribble.
Agreed and also I would add he was most comfortable being the third person on the team. I thought he played the best in 2011-12 with Jae an DJO as the primaries .

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 12:05:50 PM »
potential was never the issue with Wilson it was his mental makeup/toughness.  Fell into the old looks like Tarzan plays like Jane category.

I never thought he looked like Tarzan. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »
Agreed and also I would add he was most comfortable being the third person on the team. I thought he played the best in 2011-12 with Jae an DJO as the primaries .

Early in that season when we still had Otule I'd agree (pause for how what that team could've been if he hadn't gotten injured  :'( ) but I think in his natural position he was most effective playing off Vander. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »

Yup. Kids looks great in highlights and on paper.

But he lacks the type "A" personality and killer persona.
Not that that's a bad thing, but it's rare to get a player who lacks the takeover skill (and can execute it) in the League.

However, he is a superb complementary player. He filled the role well with DJO, Jae, Davante, Vander, and Trent.
SS Marquette