[Today at 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stu Jackson hired by Big East  (Read 4918 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Stu Jackson hired by Big East
« on: July 19, 2014, 07:14:34 AM »
Stu Jackson hired by Big East

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11219816/stu-jackson-joins-big-east-front-office

Former Wisconsin coach and NBA executive Stu Jackson has been hired by the Big East as a senior associate commissioner.

He will oversee men's basketball operations and strategic planning. Jackson spent the 2013-14 season as a game analyst for Big East basketball on Fox Sports 1 and as a studio analyst on NBA TV.

Jackson spent 13 years in the NBA, most recently as executive vice president of basketball operations. He also spent six years as president and general manager of the Vancouver Grizzlies (1994-2000) and four seasons as an assistant and then coach of the New York Knicks (1987-91).

His college basketball resume includes two seasons as coach at Wisconsin. He also was an assistant at Providence, Washington State and Oregon.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Stu Jackson hired by Big East
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »
I saw news about this on JSOnline of all places a few days ago.  It's goes into more depth than ESPN. 

One thing that I thought was kind of interesting that Jackson said is the conference isn't really looking at expansion essentially until the current 10 establish themselves.  He didn't give any time tables when they might look to expand either.  Basically, the current members need to find their footing.

He is an interesting addition to the conference hierarchy, hopefully he can help advance it.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
My memories of Mr. Jackson as coach at UW-Madison are far from flattering.  Hopefully changed and gained some valuable skills.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 11:15:19 AM »
To me, us and Butler are the keys right now for this conference taking off.  All 10 are important of course, but MU and Butler especially need to quickly rebound from last years poor showings, and return to what they both were doing from 2010-2013.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »
Ra$hard Griffith would be proud....nice investment by $tu Jack$on back then.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
To me, us and Butler are the keys right now for this conference taking off.  All 10 are important of course, but MU and Butler especially need to quickly rebound from last years poor showings, and return to what they both were doing from 2010-2013.

I agree we both need to rebound but the three elite bball schools are us GTown and nova.  GTown needs to rebound, nova needs to get to the second weekend and we definitely need to rebound.  To me us and those two are the only schools that come to mind in this conference when you think all time best basketball schools.  And it showed in that espn 50 for 50 a few years back.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »
I agree we both need to rebound but the three elite bball schools are us GTown and nova.  GTown needs to rebound, nova needs to get to the second weekend and we definitely need to rebound.  To me us and those two are the only schools that come to mind in this conference when you think all time best basketball schools.  And it showed in that espn 50 for 50 a few years back.  

+1- forgot about Georgetown, although they haven't had near the recent NCAA success MU and Butler has had.  But they were almost or as disappointing as MU and Butler were last year.   They are synonymous with Big East basketballs, so they are critical too.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »

Tough order.

No Stevens pretty much guaranteed a very tough year for Butler, which had a season's troubles compounded by injuries.

Glad we have a solid hire in Wojo. But as they say, it's all about the W/L columns.
SS Marquette

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 01:26:16 PM »
Tough order.

No Stevens pretty much guaranteed a very tough year for Butler, which had a season's troubles compounded by injuries.

Glad we have a solid hire in Wojo. But as they say, it's all about the W/L columns.

Stevens leaving was major for both Butler and the conference in its first year.  The new conference lost their most high profile coach before even playing a game.   Hope they get back on track except against us going forward.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »
I like our conference at 10 teams right now. The double round robin aspects really develops the rivalries. Jackson is right we need to develop our footing. That said, I think with good years from Marquette and Georgetown should enable the conference to develop some momentum. Villanova appears to be in a good place. Xavier is sold and Providence and St. Johns had solid years which they can build off of. Seton Hall is slowing emerging from the depths and got a major recruit. Butler will take a step up and Hopefully Creighton has some gas left in the tank post McDermott, I think 2014-15 will be a very fan friendly year in the conference as almost every game should be competitive, even the Depaul games.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 11:08:05 PM »
DePaul needs to add men's basketball.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 08:50:11 AM »
Former UW basketball coach Stu Jackson joins Big East
By Michael Hunt of the Journal Sentinel   
July 15, 2014

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/267204631.html

Stu Jackson, who coached Wisconsin basketball to two post-season appearances from 1992 to 1994, has been named the Big East's senior associate commissioner for men's basketball.

After taking UW to the NIT and the NCAA Tournament, Jackson left the Badgers 20 years ago to become general manager of the NBA's Vancouver Grizzlies. He was replaced for one season by Stan Van Gundy, the current president and head coach of the Detroit Pistons.

Jackson spent 13 years in the NBA front office and coached the New York Knicks before replacing Steve Yoder in Madison in 1992. Last year he worked as a studio analyst for Fox Sports 1 on Big East telecasts.

Jackson will oversee the league's men's basketball operations and strategic planning.

“Few people in basketball can match Stu Jackson's experiences at all levels of the game, and we are very excited that he will bring his leadership skills and wealth of expertise to the Big East," said league commissioner Val Ackerman.

"We have set our sights on keeping the Big East at the forefront of college basketball, and Stu will play a critical role as our schools and coaches work to maintain top-flight programs and our student-athletes strive to fulfill their potential, both on and off the court.”

The reformed Big East struggled to gain a foothold in its first year of competition. The league is trying to find ways to make itself to make its flagship sport more appealing.

“The sport of basketball is my lifelong passion, and I am honored to join Val and the Big East basketball management team as the conference looks to the future,” said Jackson. “The Big East has one of the most storied histories in college basketball, and I am eager to contribute to its continued successes, especially during such a pivotal time in its evolution.”

New exec Stu Jackson on Big East expansion: 'We can't get ahead of ourselves'

By Bob Wolfley of the Journal Sentinel   
July 16, 2014

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/267406651.html

The new senior associate commissioner of the Big East Conference, Stu Jackson, told Milwaukee radio station WSSP-AM (1250) on Wednesday that part of his job is to improve the brand of the conference.

“The Big East historically has had great tradition with storied programs and everyone is aware of its history,” Jackson said. “We’re at a pivotal time in terms of continuing to build on that tradition and an excellent brand going forward in a 10-team league.

“We can’t equate the 10-team league with the 16-team league that it was formerly,” Jackson said. “But there’s the opportunity for growth and building on the tradition and that’s really, really positive. We need to continue to field teams that are at a national level and that are tournament worthy.”

Jackson was asked about attracting other basketball-centric schools to the league.

“We can’t get ahead of ourselves,” Jackson said. “We have first got to build on the strength of the 10 teams that we have. . . . Once we do that and are able to maybe take another step and maybe grow the conference, so be it.”

Jackson was an assistant under Rick Pitino at Providence in the old Big East in the mid-1980s. He coached Wisconsin from 1992-’94.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 09:42:19 PM »
My memories of Mr. Jackson as coach at UW-Madison are far from flattering.  Hopefully changed and gained some valuable skills.

Well, yeah.

He's been an NBA Vice President for about a decade.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 08:42:08 AM »
DePaul needs to add men's basketball.

+1

augoman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 08:59:49 AM »

Well, yeah.

He's been an NBA Vice President for about a decade.

Don't know if you remember him Sultan, but his wife (UW-Madison prof-psych?) was needed to control him on occasion- hot temper, short fuse, lousy coach, poor leader of men, team was loaded with talent but some were 'non-readers' and much disarray (no idea how he got them in school much less kept them eligible).  He hasn't excelled in any of his positions IMHO, but has had a spot in the NBA admin for several years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
Don't know if you remember him Sultan, but his wife (UW-Madison prof-psych?) was needed to control him on occasion- hot temper, short fuse, lousy coach, poor leader of men, team was loaded with talent but some were 'non-readers' and much disarray (no idea how he got them in school much less kept them eligible).  He hasn't excelled in any of his positions IMHO, but has had a spot in the NBA admin for several years.

I don't think he was a terrible coach.  He was actually considered a coup of a hire being a former NBA coach and all.  He got them to their first NCAA appearance in something like 50 years.  (Same year that Marquette beat UK to get to the Sweet 16...1994). 

The problem was that he was out of place in the midwest, and frankly in college basketball.  He moved on pretty quickly to become GM of the Grizzlies and has been with the NBA for years.  What he is doing for the BE pretty much fits with what he did for the NBA.  Not a bad hire IMO.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »
Ra$hard Griffith would be proud....nice investment by $tu Jack$on back then.

Once Donna $halala decided that UW be OK paying the Luxury Tax, UW Athletics really took off.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

augoman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 07:09:16 PM »
I think it took off after Shalala left, but not sure.  She had an AD (Abe something) that ran up a huge deficit and they canned their football coach (had more NFL players than any other NCAA team but had a horrible record) but had to pay him out for several years.  Wound up going to board of Regents and state legislature for bigger piece of the tax dollar pie to support the athletic programs.  Think it was her sucessor.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 08:11:09 PM »
I think it took off after Shalala left, but not sure.  She had an AD (Abe something) that ran up a huge deficit and they canned their football coach (had more NFL players than any other NCAA team but had a horrible record) but had to pay him out for several years.  Wound up going to board of Regents and state legislature for bigger piece of the tax dollar pie to support the athletic programs.  Think it was her sucessor.

The AD was Ade Sponberg. 

Pat Richter is the AD that hired Stu Jackson.  After he left, he appointed Stan Van Gundy for a year, then hired Dick Bennett...then Bo Ryan.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »

The AD was Ade Sponberg. 

Pat Richter is the AD that hired Stu Jackson.  After he left, he appointed Stan Van Gundy for a year, then hired Dick Bennett...then Bo Ryan.

Sounds right Sultan.

feedback