[April 19, 2024, 11:53:22 PM]

santa rosa flirt adult by JakeBarnes
[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Steve Wojciechowski and his perfect Marquette record  (Read 15815 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Steve Wojciechowski and his perfect Marquette record
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »
Very true: Al ( maybe a shooting guard?),  John Wooden, Coach K, Pitino, Billy Donnavan, Sean Miller, Shaka (D3), Dean Smith (point guard?), Travis Ford, etc. This was just off the top of my head.

And Sultan putting Bo in with Izzo and Cal is a bit of a stretch. Take away this past season and it's laughable that they're in the same category.
Tom Izzo was a DII All American for Northern Michigan

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »

Bo Ryan was one of the "top coaches" in college basketball even prior to last season.

Maybe, but I won't admit that. Seeing his name next to Izzo and Calipari there is a clear "one is not like the others".  
Bring back FFP!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
And Sultan putting Bo in with Izzo and Cal is a bit of a stretch. Take away this past season and it's laughable that they're in the same category.

I hate Bucky as much as the next sane person, but Bo Ryan is a helluva coach. He's not as good as Izzo or Cal but he is one of the top coaches of the 2000s.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Black Swan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »
I hate Bucky as much as the next sane person, but Bo Ryan is a helluva coach. He's not as good as Izzo or Cal but he is one of the top coaches of the 2000s.

Bo is an outstanding coach. I think he has turned into a bit of a prick over his tenure at UW but he can coach with anyone.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 06:02:34 PM »
Bo is an outstanding coach. I think he has turned into a bit of a prick over his tenure at UW but he can coach with anyone.

Yes, he is indeed a bit of a prick. 100% all beef penis.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »

We went through this before.  The correlation between "top coaches" and "playing D1 ball" isn't a strong one. All sorts of high level college coaches (Izzo, Ryan, Calipari) didn't play D1 ball.

Absolutely true .... but then we have Kevin Ollie, Tony Bennet, and Steve Alford.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:28:49 PM by Heisenberg »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 08:21:41 AM »
Steve Alford.  Wake me up when he actually accomplishes something.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:28 AM »
This is the point in the thread, where having lived through the last two regimes and had my heart broken both times, I caution everyone to pump the breaks a little on the Wojo love.  He has done and said all the right things, but he has to prove it on the court and prove it with long term actions.

It's a great start, but don't get to high, any fall will hurt worse.

You better get with the program, Mister!

Death on call

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »
This is the point in the thread, where having lived through the last two regimes and had my heart broken both times, I caution everyone to pump the breaks a little on the Wojo love.  He has done and said all the right things, but he has to prove it on the court and prove it with long term actions.
It's interesting you mention that. Somewhat related, I started reading scoop regularly when Buzz was the coach. From what I read, people seemed to hate Crean and moreover, seemed to have never liked him. I was pretty surprised because, while I heard he wasn't the most pleasant man in the world, he seemed to be an effective coach. Meanwhile midway through the first season people really started to be very positive about Buzz (except Chicos).

Lo and behold, Buzz leaves for browner pastures and the same thing happens to him -- all of a sudden no one likes him, and they never did! Made me think we should treat coaches like politicians -- praise them when they do well and raise your voice when they do poorly. Don't be a fan of the coach, be a fan of the program.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 05:41:07 PM »
"For the first time in the post-Tom Crean era, Marquette did not have a transfer during the offseason. "

DON'T JINX!!!
You can thank Buzz Numbnuts for the transfers. Think what would have been lost if El Bozo was not shown the door. Taylor, JJJ, and likely others. Sayonara, Phony lonesome hillbilly cowboy. Cue to the Buzz slurpers derogatory spiel.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »
You can thank Buzz Numbnuts for the transfers. Think what would have been lost if El Bozo was not shown the door. Taylor, JJJ, and likely others. Sayonara, Phony lonesome hillbilly cowboy. Cue to the Buzz slurpers derogatory spiel.

Buzz was not "shown the door."

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 08:09:31 PM »

Although, the door was not closed either...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 08:10:36 PM »
Although, the door was not closed either...

Right.  He was not let go, but they didn't go out of their way to make him happy.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 08:33:03 PM »

No, we do Buzz a greater disservice by not even talking about him. A guy with that ego? Would drive him crazy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »
It's interesting you mention that. Somewhat related, I started reading scoop regularly when Buzz was the coach. From what I read, people seemed to hate Crean and moreover, seemed to have never liked him. I was pretty surprised because, while I heard he wasn't the most pleasant man in the world, he seemed to be an effective coach. Meanwhile midway through the first season people really started to be very positive about Buzz (except Chicos).

Lo and behold, Buzz leaves for browner pastures and the same thing happens to him -- all of a sudden no one likes him, and they never did! Made me think we should treat coaches like politicians -- praise them when they do well and raise your voice when they do poorly. Don't be a fan of the coach, be a fan of the program.

It's human nature, and the nature of fans.

A guy can date a girl for months, and if she drops him, he's say something like "She was a b*tch anyways". He's trying to save face, and he doesn't want to face the facts.

Some fans get very emotionally wrapped up in the coaches. They often look for, or even project traits onto their favorite coach so they can be in love with him.

"He really gets it! We are so lucky to have him."

People will love MU's coach right up until he decides he wants to be someplace else, then some people will turn on him like a scorned lover.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 09:56:11 AM »
Yeah, and you may want to light up on the ole Duke integrity thing.  They have a finely crafted public image, but I don't think they have much more integrity than the average high level, D1 athletic program.  Special majors for athletes....Lance Thomas....Coach K's volcanic temper...

And your implication that Buzz Williams isn't very smart is pretty inaccurate as well.  He may come off as a country bumpkin type, but I also think that is a pretty well crafted image.
Slurp to the bottom.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 09:57:53 AM »

Many ways to show one the door, including blowing a hole in the wall with a hand grenade.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 10:00:13 AM »
Slurp to the bottom.

Well, he was smart enough to apparently getting huge contract concessions from Virginia Tech without the use of an agent.

Really, there are a lot of ways you can criticize Buzz Williams.  Lack of intelligence isn't one of them.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »
Steve Alford.  Wake me up when he actually accomplishes something.
Let's see--for a start, nailing down Looney when your idol the Buzzster could not get a sniff out of the batter's box. An there are more.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 10:04:22 AM »
one quibble….
For now, Wojciechowski has won. He’s assembled a decorated coaching staff, brought back a legend in Travis Diener and is on the verge of securing the five-star center Williams never could

I assume this is referring to Ellenson……He is not a center…..He could play some center but if he comes to MU he will be primarily a 4/3. Fischer and Heldt will play the 5 the majority of the time.

Buzz has had plenty of 5 star bigs: Otule, Roseboro, Mbao, Durley, Williams, and Gardner. If you add up their stars, it could come to 5.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 10:11:54 AM »
Let's see--for a start, nailing down Looney when your idol the Buzzster could not get a sniff out of the batter's box. An there are more.

Steve Alford:  19 years as a head coach...two Sweet 16s.
Buzz Williams:  7 years as a head coach...one Elite 8 and two additional Sweet 16s.

Buzz is a better coach than Alford.  

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »
Tom Izzo was a DII All American for Northern Michigan

Was that for their 6' and Under squad?

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »

Steve Alford:  19 years as a head coach...two Sweet 16s.
Buzz Williams:  7 years as a head coach...one Elite 8 and two additional Sweet 16s.

Buzz is a better coach than Alford.  
I see what you did there. Buzz is a better coach, but your comment was wake you up when Alford has accomplished something.

Alford has accomplished a lot: Indiana Mr. basketball; PG on NCAA Champion; 4 years in NBa; Gold medal Olympian averaging 10.3 ppg; Top 10 player of the 80's; 4 time team MVP; All American; Big 10 Player of the Year; twice won Big 10 Conference tourney; etc. etc.

Hopefully that has woke you up. Because that is what you said. Wake us all up when you accomplish something Sultan.

And by the way, take a poll on which is the better gig--HC at UCLA or Va. Tech.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2014, 08:42:30 PM »

Well, he was smart enough to apparently getting huge contract concessions from Virginia Tech without the use of an agent.

Really, there are a lot of ways you can criticize Buzz Williams.  Lack of intelligence isn't one of them.
I would submit that his asinine coaching strategy that led to 17-15 speaks volumes. I don't know if he is intelligent--do you?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »
I see what you did there. Buzz is a better coach, but your comment was wake you up when Alford has accomplished something.

Alford has accomplished a lot: Indiana Mr. basketball; PG on NCAA Champion; 4 years in NBa; Gold medal Olympian averaging 10.3 ppg; Top 10 player of the 80's; 4 time team MVP; All American; Big 10 Player of the Year; twice won Big 10 Conference tourney; etc. etc.

Hopefully that has woke you up. Because that is what you said. Wake us all up when you accomplish something Sultan.

And by the way, take a poll on which is the better gig--HC at UCLA or Va. Tech.

Since the subject of the thread was obviously coaching, I didn't think that I would have to explain the context of my quote was in regards to his lack of accomplishment as a coach.  I now know that I have to explain things in a little greater detail for you to understand.  I will try harder next time.

And Buzz Williams reportedly turned down an opportunity to interview at UCLA.  If that job would have come open a year later, Buzz may have been coaching there instead of Alford.