[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Sam Hauser  (Read 126783 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Sam Hauser
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
One thing I know for sure is, Hauser might be good, but you can't compare him to Dekker. Dekker was ranked in the top 20 coming out of high school. He may be a very high #1 draft pick in the NBA.

It seems like their style of play is comparable. But yes, Hauser is definitely no where near the talent level of Dekker.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2014, 11:35:41 AM »
One thing I know for sure is, Hauser might be good, but you can't compare him to Dekker. Dekker was ranked in the top 20 coming out of high school. He may be a very high #1 draft pick in the NBA.
My recollection is Dekker blew up for WI Playground Warriors the summer between his sophomore and junior years (where Hauser is now). It really helped Dekker having the highly touted J.P. Tokoto on his team because Tokoto was seen as the best in the state since 7th grade. Ritchie Davis really promotes his guys and they did some national tourneys where Dekker got his name out there, similar to how Pritzl did with his hot spring. I'm not saying Hauser is going to be an ESPN top 20 or NBA pick, I think their games look pretty similar at this point in Hauser's development other than I think Dekker was a little more athletic. I would also say Hauser is going to end up being a 4-star and top 100 guy based on my eye test. Certainly could be wrong, but I think once he gets on a more national stage, his rankings will go way up. Obviously, this weekend is an important step in this direction. Just one man's opinion.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »
My recollection is Dekker blew up for WI Playground Warriors the summer between his sophomore and junior years (where Hauser is now). It really helped Dekker having the highly touted J.P. Tokoto on his team because Tokoto was seen as the best in the state since 7th grade. Ritchie Davis really promotes his guys and they did some national tourneys where Dekker got his name out there, similar to how Pritzl did with his hot spring. I'm not saying Hauser is going to be an ESPN top 20 or NBA pick, I think their games look pretty similar at this point in Hauser's development other than I think Dekker was a little more athletic. I would also say Hauser is going to end up being a 4-star and top 100 guy based on my eye test. Certainly could be wrong, but I think once he gets on a more national stage, his rankings will go way up. Obviously, this weekend is an important step in this direction. Just one man's opinion.

The only reason I brought this up is because I was kinda surprised that ESPN and Scout don't even have a profile for him. Like I said, I trust your opinion as well as the others who have watched him and would love for him to be at Marquette, but right now he seems like one of the most underrated players in the country....which is a good thing.
Bring back FFP!!!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 05:33:01 PM »
In my opinion Dekker is a 3/4 and I think Hauser is a 3/2. Dekker is the better inside player. Hauser the better outside shooter. Duke and I am assuming Wojo place a high value on outside shooters.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »
Like to see this cat rockin' the Warrior uni
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2014, 09:26:40 AM »
Chris Carrawell was in Louisville last night watching Sam. I think Flory played there as well.
Bring back FFP!!!

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:02 AM »
One major difference when comparing those schools, Stevens Point and Fond du Lac are two of the largest high schools in the state of Wisconsin. Fond du Lac (2,477 students and #1 enrollment in the state), Stevens Point (1,728 students and #24 in enrollment in the state). Also, Matt Heldt is from Neenah and they have the #10 enrollment in the state at 2,156.

Cassville is ranked #360 with an enrollment is 170 students, and Wausaukee is ranked the #333 largest school in Wisconsin with an enrollment of 214. Sheboygan Lutheran is hard to gauge because it is in a large community. One thing I know for sure is, Hauser might be good, but you can't compare him to Dekker. Dekker was ranked in the top 20 coming out of high school. He may be a very high #1 draft pick in the NBA.

that is crazy and can put things into perspective.  For example my son was an all conference baseball player this spring.  Every team in his conference, sans two, is larger than fon du lac.  he was actually on one of the two smaller.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2014, 10:01:45 AM »
http://247sports.com/Player/Sam-Hauser-31242

Sam Hauser is ranked 77 in the first 247sports composite rankings for 2016

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2014, 12:56:45 PM »
Lots of talent comes out of SP, including the state's #1 ranked professional golfer.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2014, 01:12:59 PM »
http://247sports.com/Player/Sam-Hauser-31242

Sam Hauser is ranked 77 in the first 247sports composite rankings for 2016

This makes me laugh at all the people who said offering Hauser was a terrible idea and Wojo shouldn't be bothering with 2 star white kids from Stevens Point
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2014, 01:18:58 PM »
This makes me laugh at all the people who said offering Hauser was a terrible idea and Wojo shouldn't be bothering with 2 star white kids from Stevens Point

You're right about that, my friend.

I swear, some folks think Wojo is stupid and/or desperate. He played for and coached under one of the great basketball minds in history; I'm guessing he has an idea of what a legit D1 player looks like.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2014, 05:13:30 PM »
Lots of talent comes out of SP, including the state's #1 ranked professional golfer.

Steve Stricker is from Stevens Point?

Nope....

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »
Heading into his freshman year it will be lite, but I sure as heck hope he develops better than Dekker has in college.  Talk about a player leveling off at the college level.  All I heard about Dekker was that he was a more athletic Steve Novak, would only be around for 2 years at the absolute max, would possibly be a one and done, would be the most athletic player on the court in most games, etc. etc. etc.  While certainly far from a bad player, Dekker has not come close to living up to the hype/expectations.

He's solid, some had unrealistic expectations for him. You'd take Dekker on your team in a heartbeat..

As for Hauser, he's a stud. I'm surprised Wisconsin hasn't offered.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:53:37 PM by OnWisconsin »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2014, 09:25:33 PM »
He's solid, some had unrealistic expectations for him. You'd take Dekker on your team in a heartbeat..

As for Hauser, he's a stud. I'm surprised Wisconsin hasn't offered.

I think everyone here would take Dekker in a heartbeat. What I think he was saying was that Dekker hasn't improved from year to year as much as we would have expected.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »
Heading into his freshman year it will be lite, but I sure as heck hope he develops better than Dekker has in college.  Talk about a player leveling off at the college level.  All I heard about Dekker was that he was a more athletic Steve Novak, would only be around for 2 years at the absolute max, would possibly be a one and done, would be the most athletic player on the court in most games, etc. etc. etc.  While certainly far from a bad player, Dekker has not come close to living up to the hype/expectations.

He may not have lived up to the hype because some thought he would be one and done. 

But leveling off at the College level?  He went 12.4/6.1 last year on a Final Four team.  I would take him on Marquette in a second.  In fact, I would trade any of Marquette's players, with the exception of Burton's next three years, to have Dekker's last two.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2014, 09:51:59 PM »
I have heard that this will most likely be Dekker's last year at UW

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2014, 09:55:42 PM »

Hopefully for him he develops this year. He'd be the standard Bucks pick who does absolutely nothing in the NBA. Which is why I say he hasn't developed like expected. He was supposed to be a can't miss guy. Someone who would be the best player on the floor every game. He simply is not that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2014, 10:37:20 PM »

He will need to get a LOT better to play in the NBA. A lot.

brandx

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »
He will need to get a LOT better to play in the NBA. A lot.

He will need to improve, but I expect him to be at least a borderline lottery pick whenever he leaves. Players appear to develop more slowly under Bo because of some of the things he expects them to do.

Also, he has been measured at 6'9" several times this summer - including at the Lebron skills camp. I think Dekker, Looney and Rozier all have a chance to surprise and really move up the draft next year.

I see Chandler Parsons all over again when I watch Dekker. Chandler's 16.6 ppg, 5.5 reb, and 4 assists sounds like a reasonable place where Sam will end up in the NBA.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2014, 07:09:49 AM »
Hopefully for him he develops this year. He'd be the standard Bucks pick who does absolutely nothing in the NBA. Which is why I say he hasn't developed like expected. He was supposed to be a can't miss guy. Someone who would be the best player on the floor every game. He simply is not that.

Only people who had unrealistically high expectations said that.  Look around where he was rated.  You'll see a couple NBA guys, but mostly people are are at or below his level.

Very similar to the Blue conversation of a few weeks ago.  People's unrealistic expectations aren't his fault.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2014, 08:13:22 AM »
So... how about that Sam Hauser fellow?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »

Only people who had unrealistically high expectations said that.  Look around where he was rated.  You'll see a couple NBA guys, but mostly people are are at or below his level.

Very similar to the Blue conversation of a few weeks ago.  People's unrealistic expectations aren't his fault.

Every recruiting service had him rated a 5 star and every recruiting service other than ESPN (who had him at 17) had him as a top 15 recruit.  I personally would hope for more than 12 and 6 from a guy rated that highly during his sophomore year.  I also would expect that he be the best player on the team going into his upper class years, but an unranked, awkward big has developed into that.

Again, do I think he is a bad player?  No.  Do I think he has developed as much as he was expected to up to this point in his career, based on all the hype surrounding him coming into his college career?  No.  Will he still be in the NBA someday?  Yup.  But he is not a guy who you have to fear every time he steps on the court, like many said he would be.

Blue was rated as a 4 star by Scout and ESPN and a 5 star by Rivals.  He was ranked 34 and 31 by Scout and ESPN, respectively, and 24 by Rivals.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:10:42 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2014, 09:10:33 AM »
He will need to improve, but I expect him to be at least a borderline lottery pick whenever he leaves. Players appear to develop more slowly under Bo because of some of the things he expects them to do.

Also, he has been measured at 6'9" several times this summer - including at the Lebron skills camp. I think Dekker, Looney and Rozier all have a chance to surprise and really move up the draft next year.

I see Chandler Parsons all over again when I watch Dekker. Chandler's 16.6 ppg, 5.5 reb, and 4 assists sounds like a reasonable place where Sam will end up in the NBA.

You know, brand, after reading what you say here and after thinking about it more, you're probably right. Heck, if he had declared this year, he might have been a first-rounder.

He has good size and very good athletic ability and a GM would have little trouble seeing potential in Dekker. And that's what they're drafting. Because of his body, he has considerably more potential than Vander ever did.

I like it when a reasoned argument can get me to change my mind!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2014, 10:04:19 AM »
Every recruiting service had him rated a 5 star and every recruiting service other than ESPN (who had him at 17) had him as a top 15 recruit.  I personally would hope for more than 12 and 6 from a guy rated that highly during his sophomore year.  I also would expect that he be the best player on the team going into his upper class years, but an unranked, awkward big has developed into that.

Again, do I think he is a bad player?  No.  Do I think he has developed as much as he was expected to up to this point in his career, based on all the hype surrounding him coming into his college career?  No.  Will he still be in the NBA someday?  Yup.  But he is not a guy who you have to fear every time he steps on the court, like many said he would be.

Again, for the *third* time, it isn't his fault that people had unrealistic expectations. 

And go back to your original post.  You said he "leveled off."  He hasn't.

You also said that he was supposed to be a "more athletic Steve Novak."  Well he can't shoot like Novak (few can), but he certainly is more athletic.

He is better than anyone Marquette has on its roster, with the possible exception of Deonte Burton.  (Ask me at the end of this year.)  He is a very good player. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
He is better than anyone Marquette has on its roster, with the possible exception of Deonte Burton.  (Ask me at the end of this year.)  He is a very good player. 

Agreed, but nobody here is talking about anyone on the Marquette roster as a lottery pick.  And for the Parsons comparison, he was SEC player of the year and still was only a mid 2nd round pick.  I think Dekker is very good, I think its probably in his best interests as a player with professional aspirations to leave after this year, but I don't see him as a lottery pick without a BIG jump this year.  I do think he'll benefit from Kaminsky taking alot of attention off him, but was there ever a time last year that Dekker took over a big game?