[Today at 08:43:00 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sam Hauser  (Read 127243 times)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
Re: Sam Hauser
« Reply #200 on: May 15, 2015, 09:58:50 AM »
http://virginia.scout.com/story/1546414-hauser-recaps-uva-visit
The Stevens Point connections/familiarity give UVA a nice selling point. Plus, TB is one of the nicest guys around and as far as coaching he is stern but fair. He has his father's Xs and Os, but has a much sunnier disposition that players seem to like. The other side of this to me is Paul Jesperson -- he was a very highly rated 6' 6" shooter/wing from Merrill, WI who got a ride to UVA. I don't think TB recruited him, but he did coach him. He was almost identical to Hauser (size, athleticism), and it didn't work out. I think Jesperson was one of the top 3 recruits in WI (could have been #1) in like 2011. Jesperson transferred and now plays/played at Northern Iowa. I never saw Jesperson play in HS, but just by looking at him back then, he looked much weaker (almost fragile?) than Hauser (and Hauser doesn't look that strong at this point either). But he was a wissports top prospect. It seems like TB is making him a priority, so it may not matter, but I'm sure they are aware that very recently a 6' 6" shooter/wing from WI went there and ended up transferring under Bennett.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2015, 10:02:14 AM »
Bennett did recruit Jesperson.  He has been at UVa since 2009, and Jesperson arrived there in 2011.  The connection was Brad Soderburg's brother is the head coach at Merrill. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »
I'd say Hauser is more athletic and better off the dribble.  Granted I'm comparing them off of my limited viewing of them at the State tourney.  But Hauser jumped out at me more than Jesperson did.  By that I mean I saw more tools in Hauser that should translate to the high major level.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:43:17 PM by Hauser's Headband »

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »
I'd say Hauser is more athletic and better of the dribble.  Granted I'm comparing them off of my limited viewing of them at the State tourney.  But Hauser jumped out at me more than Jesperson did.  By that I mean I saw more tools in Hauser that should translate to the high major level.
I've seen Hauser play a ton, but I never saw Jesperson. Perhaps his high ranking was due to a weaker recruiting class. I tried to look back in the archives of Wisports player ranking and it only goes back to 2012/13, but holy crap did that class have the D1 players, looks to be 15 guys. Jesperson's brothers was #15 to Pepperdine, btw.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:53:19 AM by Freeport Warrior »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »
I've seen Hauser play a ton, but I never saw Jesperson. Perhaps his high ranking was due to a weaker recruiting class. I tried to look back in the archives of disports player ranking and it only goes back to 2012/13, but holy crap did that class have the D1 players, looks to be 15 guys. Jesperson's brothers was #15 to Pepperdine, btw.

Mr. Basketball that year in Wisconsin was Nimrod Hilliard...if that tells you anything.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2015, 11:59:25 AM »
Saw them both play--No comparison--S.HAUSER!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »
The Stevens Point connections/familiarity give UVA a nice selling point. Plus, TB is one of the nicest guys around and as far as coaching he is stern but fair. He has his father's Xs and Os, but has a much sunnier disposition that players seem to like. The other side of this to me is Paul Jesperson -- he was a very highly rated 6' 6" shooter/wing from Merrill, WI who got a ride to UVA. I don't think TB recruited him, but he did coach him. He was almost identical to Hauser (size, athleticism), and it didn't work out. I think Jesperson was one of the top 3 recruits in WI (could have been #1) in like 2011. Jesperson transferred and now plays/played at Northern Iowa. I never saw Jesperson play in HS, but just by looking at him back then, he looked much weaker (almost fragile?) than Hauser (and Hauser doesn't look that strong at this point either). But he was a wissports top prospect. It seems like TB is making him a priority, so it may not matter, but I'm sure they are aware that very recently a 6' 6" shooter/wing from WI went there and ended up transferring under Bennett.

I thought of Jesperson as a shooter. Hauser is a lot more. Similar "look" to them, but Hauser is a lot better, more athletic, more versatile, etc.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2015, 05:40:24 PM »
I thought of Jesperson as a shooter. Hauser is a lot more. Similar "look" to them, but Hauser is a lot better, more athletic, more versatile, etc.
That is exactly what I thought, but I never saw Jesperson actually play. Going to watch the 15U feature game tonight, WI Playground vs. Howard Pulley Black (MN). We may eventually play the loser down the road in the bracket. What do you know about Howard Pulley 15U Black, Jay Bee? Is Sage Booker on that team?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2015, 06:23:35 PM »
That is exactly what I thought, but I never saw Jesperson actually play. Going to watch the 15U feature game tonight, WI Playground vs. Howard Pulley Black (MN). We may eventually play the loser down the road in the bracket. What do you know about Howard Pulley 15U Black, Jay Bee? Is Sage Booker on that team?

Not a lot, but yes Booker is on that team. Traditional Ryan Larson from up north can fill it up. Big 6'6" Daniel Oturo from Cretin-Derham Hall is another to watch. Coffey teammate (Hopkins) DeLawrence Aaron can play too.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2015, 07:29:07 PM »
More self-hatred from MU fans.

Seriously I have been to both places.  Charlottesville is nice.  But some people prefer the urban environment.  And Marquette gives you a very nice education to succeed in society today.  He should go where he is most comfortable.

Guy, I have zero self-hatred. I know this area has become your raison d'etre these last few months but I didn't write one negative word about Marquette University or its basketball program.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »
2016 Meme Tournament Watch List

Self-Hating MU Fans[move]
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2015, 09:11:19 PM »

Mr. Basketball that year in Wisconsin was Nimrod Hilliard...

You made that name up

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »
What a bizarre collegiate career...

http://nccueaglepride.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4491

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2015, 09:18:19 PM »
You made that name up

IIRC, I had a disagreement with Chick and others over Nimrod Hilliard's name when the possibility of him transferring came up or something.  I think that Chick even had a hoodie from his High School because the Glows used to vacation near there.  I thought that "Nimrod" was an unfortunate name due to the connotation that "Nimrod" now has.  Others pointed out the origin of the name Nimrod in the Bible as "a great hunter" or some such.

Long story short, I think this guy is real.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »
Unfortunately, Numbnuts Crean is real too, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »
What a bizarre collegiate career...

http://nccueaglepride.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4491

Four schools in four years (1 JUCO) with no sitting out as a transfer red shirt.  I've got to think that he has a brilliant law career ahead of him, if he so chooses.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2015, 12:30:54 AM »
Former MU guard Jamal Ferguson was one of Hilliard's teammates this year and scored 22 points in the conference season. Ferguson was an outstanding prospect as a sophomore in high school and has never seemed to improve.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2015, 07:46:30 AM »
Unfortunately, Numbnuts Crean is real too, ai na?

Yes, but do you know if the Hypobaric chamber caused Crean's numbnuts, or did Crean's numbnuts cause the Hypobaric chamber?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »
I watched a lot of Nimrod at the 17U level (pause). He was a fun player to watch - very good low to MM guard.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »
IIRC, I had a disagreement with Chick and others over Nimrod Hilliard's name when the possibility of him transferring came up or something.  I think that Chick even had a hoodie from his High School because the Glows used to vacation near there.  I thought that "Nimrod" was an unfortunate name due to the connotation that "Nimrod" now has.  Others pointed out the origin of the name Nimrod in the Bible as "a great hunter" or some such.

Long story short, I think this guy is real.

Know nothing about the player but Watersmeet MI HS are the Nimrods and yes chick has a sweatshirt.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #220 on: May 16, 2015, 12:29:42 PM »
Not a lot, but yes Booker is on that team. Traditional Ryan Larson from up north can fill it up. Big 6'6" Daniel Oturo from Cretin-Derham Hall is another to watch. Coffey teammate (Hopkins) DeLawrence Aaron can play too.
They had a non-traditional big, who looked to be about 6' 7" who just destroyed every big on Playground Warriors including Jack Plumb. I believe it was Oturo. PG Warriors have 7' 0" freshman from Apple Valley who made Rod Gross (old school reference) look coordinated. Oturo just abused him. Howard Pulley had them by 7 with a minute left. After 4 offensive rebounds on the last possession, Jordan McCabe hit a fade away three in the corner to win by 1.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #221 on: May 16, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »
They had a non-traditional big, who looked to be about 6' 7" who just destroyed every big on Playground Warriors including Jack Plumb. I believe it was Oturo. PG Warriors have 7' 0" freshman from Apple Valley who made Rod Gross (old school reference) look coordinated. Oturo just abused him. Howard Pulley had them by 7 with a minute left. After 4 offensive rebounds on the last possession, Jordan McCabe hit a fade away three in the corner to win by 1.

Rod Grosse, the biggest disappointment I ever experienced in terms of an over hyped recruit.  I do wonder whether it would have been different if he had the opportunity to play for the guy who recruited him, Majerus, instead of Dukiet. Oi Vey!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #222 on: May 16, 2015, 12:50:23 PM »

Sounds like a decent game to go along with some solid talent. Even though I'm not all that concerned with who wins or loses a travel team game when I'm evaluating certain individual players, it sure makes it more enjoyable when it's a close, hard-fought game.

Sounds like Oturo. His high school has produced numerous star-athletes in various sports and sends many kids to Marquette. Here's a pic of him:

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #223 on: May 16, 2015, 12:57:14 PM »
Know nothing about the player but Watersmeet MI HS are the Nimrods and yes chick has a sweatshirt.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #224 on: May 16, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »

feedback