[Today at 05:45:01 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks]Dwight, Jamil, putting up above average numbers to start Summer League  (Read 8313 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

Dwight, Jamil, putting up above average numbers to start Summer League

Dwight Buycks and Jamil Wilson will post above average Summer League ratings in a post I have going up on www.breitbart.com today. I have a simple rating system for Summer League Play - basically the NBA Efficiency Rating only we do not have easy access to turnovers or missed free throws.

There are 302 players in Summer League who have played at least 18 minutes so far - so obviously just getting started for most - but the average player has a 0.50 rating for one net contribution for every two minutes played. I listed the top 10 and then the wort few players so far. Mason Plumlee and Bernard James are the only two averaging more than one per minute, and Cleveland may want to worry a little about UVa's Joe Harris first outing after he moved so fast up the draft board.

Most importantly, Buycks is in the top third of all Summer League players (0.60 rating) after leading the Raptors with 21 points in a loss. Meanwhile Jamil Wilson's 16 points on only five missed shots in 37 minutes helps give him a slightly above average 0.54. I confess I cannot find any accounts of Jamil's play, so I am purely relying on the stats posted - so will go back on the Scoop to read up on news, but wanted to at least post this.

edit: Follow link for table...

Source: Dwight, Jamil, putting up above average numbers to start Summer League
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:28:15 AM by rocky_warrior »

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
I just realized Trent Lockett came in at 61st on the list to be in the top 20% of all summer league players. Go Trent!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Lennys Tap

• All American
I just realized Trent Lockett came in at 61st on the list to be in the top 20% of all summer league players. Go Trent!

But, but, Ners told me he wasn't much good. No talent, just a "glue guy".

brandx

Dwight, Jamil, putting up above average numbers to start Summer League

Dwight Buycks and Jamil Wilson will post above average Summer League ratings in a post I have going up on www.breitbart.com today. I have a simple rating system for Summer League Play - basically the NBA Efficiency Rating only we do not have easy access to turnovers or missed free throws.

There are 302 players in Summer League who have played at least 18 minutes so far - so obviously just getting started for most - but the average player has a 0.50 rating for one net contribution for every two minutes played. I listed the top 10 and then the wort few players so far. Mason Plumlee and Bernard James are the only two averaging more than one per minute, and Cleveland may want to worry a little about UVa's Joe Harris first outing after he moved so fast up the draft board.

Most importantly, Buycks is in the top third of all Summer League players (0.60 rating) after leading the Raptors with 21 points in a loss. Meanwhile Jamil Wilson's 16 points on only five missed shots in 37 minutes helps give him a slightly above average 0.54. I confess I cannot find any accounts of Jamil's play, so I am purely relying on the stats posted - so will go back on the Scoop to read up on news, but wanted to at least post this.

edit: Follow link for table...

Source: Dwight, Jamil, putting up above average numbers to start Summer League

Sounds interesting - but I'd shoot myself in the face before visiting Breitbart.com

Sorry.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
Sounds interesting - but I'd shoot myself in the face before visiting Breitbart.com

Sorry.

Seriously, I can't imagine saying something similar about HuffPo or any other wingnut site. Do you realize what a lunatic you come across as with these comments?

Badgerhater

• All American
Seriously, I can't imagine saying something similar about HuffPo or any other wingnut site. Do you realize what a lunatic you come across as with these comments?

+1  When did knee-jerk dismissal become part of an MU education?

GGGG

• All American
Bama does a great job of separating his politics from his basketball analysis.  Breitbart is only the site that houses his work.  No need to turn it political.

NersEllenson

• All American
But, but, Ners told me he wasn't much good. No talent, just a "glue guy".

LOL - Yeah...and I stand by it...Lockett was a glue guy on that Elite 8 team.  And Burton would have easily replaced his production last season if given 26 minutes a game that Lockett got...that was the point.

And let's not forget...Jamil is also showing up in the top 50% of summer leaguers....and many here trashed him all of last season...and he was a hell of a lot better player than Lockett was as a senior....even though Jamil's senior year he played alongside Derrick and Jake instead of Junior and Vander.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
Trent Lockett was named Marquette's 2012-13 defensive player of the year - more than just a glue guy.  His OR was slightly below Deonte's, but his defense was far superior.

That being said, I am confident that Deonte will be better than Trent when he leaves MU.

NersEllenson

• All American
Trent Lockett was named Marquette's 2012-13 defensive player of the year - more than just a glue guy.  His OR was slightly below Deonte's, but his defense was far superior.

That being said, I am confident that Deonte will be better than Trent when he leaves MU.

Truth.  And it won't even be close.  Let's not forget half of this board was screaming for Lockett to be benched through middle of February.  Look at Lockett's turnover percentage - the guy had major problems not turnover the ball....he consistently turned it over trying to go to the basket and moving quicker than his body would allow him.

Though I do agree he was a good defender - which is why I say glue guy - very good defender, not very good offensively.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

brandx

I would say the same about huffpo or any other liberal sites like that as well. if they make their money trying to destroy and slander people - then F them.

If you support that - there's no more to be said.

Lennys Tap

• All American

And let's not forget...Jamil is also showing up in the top 50% of summer leaguers....and many here trashed him all of last season...and he was a hell of a lot better player than Lockett was as a senior....even though Jamil's senior year he played alongside Derrick and Jake instead of Junior and Vander.

Trent, Jamil and Davante are all playing in the summer leagues. One guy is struggling, one guy is doing pretty well and one guy (the guy Jamil is "hell of a lot better than") is hitting it out of the park. Guess the "glue guy" is playing with a team of stars and Davante and (to a lesser extent) Jamil are playing with Derrick and his other brother Derrick. LOL

Galway Eagle

• All American
I would say the same about huffpo or any other liberal sites like that as well. if they make their money trying to destroy and slander people - then F them.

If you support that - there's no more to be said.

Would you say the same to any sites that slander people in a conservative manner?  Or is this a partisan thing?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brandx

Would you say the same to any sites that slander people in a conservative manner?  Or is this a partisan thing?
]
I didn't have any political meaning to it at all.

I would say the same thing about gossip columnists who rip people they have never met just to sell more copies of whatever rag they work for. Or the same for the National Enquirer or The Star. I was strictly talking about rags (or websites) that earn their money by trying to destroy people. I want no part of them.

He may have written a very good article and if it was on ESPN or Fox Sports, etc., I am sure I would have read it.

NersEllenson

• All American
Trent, Jamil and Davante are all playing in the summer leagues. One guy is struggling, one guy is doing pretty well and one guy (the guy Jamil is "hell of a lot better than") is hitting it out of the park. Guess the "glue guy" is playing with a team of stars and Davante and (to a lesser extent) Jamil are playing with Derrick and his other brother Derrick. LOL

And the one guy, Lockett, just finished a full year of playing against professionals and is a year older than Jamil.  I'm not ready to annoint Lockett that much better with more pro experience (as in no school to attend or worry about all of last year) and exactly a 2 game sample size...I'd wager Jamil has a better chance at making the NBA than Lockett.

Lennys Tap

• All American
And the one guy, Lockett, just finished a full year of playing against professionals and is a year older than Jamil.  I'm not ready to annoint Lockett that much better with more pro experience (as in no school to attend or worry about all of last year) and exactly a 2 game sample size...I'd wager Jamil has a better chance at making the NBA than Lockett.

Lockett is actually 3 weeks younger than Jamil and the point isn't whether we can anoint him "that much better" than Jamil. You considered Trent no big loss, nothing more than a glue guy, while Jamil and Davante were studs. If the guy who was no more than a glue guy on the 2012-13 team is as good or better than the "studs" from the 2013-14 team it gives you an idea of how overrated the retuning talent was last year.

brandx

The draft is all about NBA potential - not about what you did in college. If Jamil had the same production as a 19 year old and then went into the draft, I have no doubt that he would have been picked. But a guy who is going to be 24 early in the NBA season has to be special in at least two areas to get drafted.

What about Jamil is special? He does some things OK but nothing special.

It is why Jordan Bachynski at a legit 7'2" didn't get drafted despite getting 4 blocks a game. He will be 25 before the season starts. There is no potential involved. He just is what he is.

NersEllenson

• All American
The draft is all about NBA potential - not about what you did in college. If Jamil had the same production as a 19 year old and then went into the draft, I have no doubt that he would have been picked. But a guy who is going to be 24 early in the NBA season has to be special in at least two areas to get drafted.

What about Jamil is special? He does some things OK but nothing special.

It is why Jordan Bachynski at a legit 7'2" didn't get drafted despite getting 4 blocks a game. He will be 25 before the season starts. There is no potential involved. He just is what he is.

Very good point...

NersEllenson

• All American
Lockett is actually 3 weeks younger than Jamil and the point isn't whether we can anoint him "that much better" than Jamil. You considered Trent no big loss, nothing more than a glue guy, while Jamil and Davante were studs. If the guy who was no more than a glue guy on the 2012-13 team is as good or better than the "studs" from the 2013-14 team it gives you an idea of how overrated the retuning talent was last year.

I never said Jamil was a stud..ever...said he wasn't part of the team's problem last year, nor was Gardner.  You disagree.  That's fine.  Jamil and Gardner put up numbers slightly better than they did as juniors...so essentially, they didn't let the team down a whole lot over Junior year.  Lockett's production could have and would have been replaced easily by Burton, had Burton been given 26 minutes. Buzz had that choice, you know - but instead awarded minutes to Juan Anderson.  Vander's production?  Would have been replaced/equaled/exceeded had Buzz given Mayo 33 minutes per game...but Todd averaged 23...meanwhile Jake Thomas averaged ~28.  So...all things essentially were equal with the Elite 8 team, and last year's team...other than PG...and once again...Buzz had a choice there...and chose not to play the more talented guy max minutes.

Nobody would dispute if they are being reasonable:

Burton > Juan Anderson
Todd Mayo > Jake Thomas

Yet brilliant Buzz apparently didn't seem to think so last year....and that was a huge miscalculation...just as it was to continue to try to play Derrick 33 a game and think we could win.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
Bama does a great job of separating his politics from his basketball analysis.  Breitbart is only the site that houses his work.  No need to turn it political.

Thanks for defending me, but also no offense taken for anyone who doesn't like Breitbart. In a time when newspaper jobs are going away this MU journalism grad appreciates anyone who can figure out how to create revenue and pay journalist. Obviously I loved being paid to get their sports section up and running and its cool to have AP rights to run photos with my stories etc, and it has given me a chance to get davantes photo in front o their 10.5 million unique monthly visitors LOL.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

Sorry.

FWIW, the link in the bottom of the post goes to Cracked Sidewalks...click with confidence to see the table.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
    • Value Add Basketball
Yes, and here is where they are ranked  - the best 10 so far, the worst few, and the three Marquette guys in between:

1   Mason Plumlee
2   Bernard James
3   Will Cherry
4   Trey Thompkins
5   Quincy Miller
6   Rudy Gobert
7   Cory Jefferson
8   Glen Rice Jr.
9   Nerlens Noel
10   Arinze Onuaku
61     Trent Lockett
93   Dwight Buycks
127   Jamil Wilson
285   Alec Brown
298   Joe Harris
299   Dennis Horner
300   Jerome Jordan
301   Jerome Dyson
302   Scott Wood

Lennys Tap

• All American
I never said Jamil was a stud..ever...said he wasn't part of the team's problem last year, nor was Gardner.  You disagree.  That's fine.  Jamil and Gardner put up numbers slightly better than they did as juniors...so essentially, they didn't let the team down a whole lot over Junior year.  Lockett's production could have and would have been replaced easily by Burton, had Burton been given 26 minutes. Buzz had that choice, you know - but instead awarded minutes to Juan Anderson.  Vander's production?  Would have been replaced/equaled/exceeded had Buzz given Mayo 33 minutes per game...but Todd averaged 23...meanwhile Jake Thomas averaged ~28.  So...all things essentially were equal with the Elite 8 team, and last year's team...other than PG...and once again...Buzz had a choice there...and chose not to play the more talented guy max minutes.

Nobody would dispute if they are being reasonable:

Burton > Juan Anderson
Todd Mayo > Jake Thomas

Yet brilliant Buzz apparently didn't seem to think so last year....and that was a huge miscalculation...just as it was to continue to try to play Derrick 33 a game and think we could win.

So in your view Jamil and Davante were nothing special (I agree) - we had two returning starters last year who weren't as good as our "glue guy". But Deonte Burton was better than that glue guy as a freshman. I disagree. And Todd Mayo, who played very little behind Vander was as good or better than him. I disagree. And Magic Dawesome, a 2.5 star freshman was ready to step in for three year starting point guard Junior Cadougan. I vehemently disagree.

Two non stud front court guys, freshmen at the 1 and 3, and a guy who earned 15 minutes a game at the 2 (and was basically totally benched for our Elite 8 run). You think that's elite talent. I see it as one elite talent with zero experience and four guys - three experienced decent guys and one guy who may be decent with experience.

You erect a straw man of wanting more Mayo, but he was playing starter minutes for most of the season. And another straw man with Anderson, who played very little once the conference season began. You're only legit complaints are more minutes for a freshman who played a lot and big minutes for a freshman who had many more poor performances than good ones.

Final analysis - our experience wasn't very talented and our talent wasn't at all experienced. That's a bad mix, a prescription for a frustrating year. Buzz the GM deserves the blame for that kind of roster.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:45:52 PM by Lennys Tap »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Final analysis - our experience wasn't very talented and our talent wasn't at all experienced.

I like that line. Well said Lenny.

I definitely wanted more Mayo. He did get starter's minutes, but it was the least of the starters by 3 mpg. I didn't want it to come at the expense of Jake's minutes though. I think we were at our best when they were both on the court. Jake could stretch the D and Mayo could drive to the hoop. You mix in some more Burton/Dawson and some less Derrick/Juan, I think we could have won at least 4 more games.

Who knows? Impossible to prove it now.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.