[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SI speculates on who will succeed Tom Izzo at MSU...Wojo makes the list  (Read 7123 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Wojo mentioned as a long-term candidate -

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/07/08/michigan-state-spartans-tom-izzo-potential-replacements
Not the most well researched article. Crean would leave Indiana in a heart beat to take the Spartan job. Nice to see Wojo mentioned but he hasn't even been a head coach for one game.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
Crean would leave Indiana in a heart beat to take the Spartan job

Perhaps, but schools typically don't go after coaches in their own conference.  That eliminates TC as a candidate (for now).

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Perhaps, but schools typically don't go after coaches in their own conference.  That eliminates TC as a candidate (for now).

I rather doubt Crean is on MSU's list for many reasons.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for

Agreed.  The fact that he coaches at another conference school is probably least among them. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
Not the most well researched article.

The article was about who MSU might make an offer to, not who would take the job.  Hell, I'd take the job if it was offered to me...that doesn't make me a candidate.

Texas Western

• All American
I didn't say Crean would be on MSU's list.  I am just saying Crean would jump on the opportunity if offered  as he has always stated Michigan State was his dream job. That is one of the reasons I thought the article was written poorly.  Also Stan Heath has actually done a very good job post MSU with some weak programs.

We R Final Four

• All American
Wojo isn't leaving--3rd time I've said it.

MU82

• All American
Maybe we'll re-hire Crean after Wojo leaves.

Yep ... this is great ... I love talking about our brand new coach leaving. Fun stuff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Maybe we'll re-hire Crean after Wojo leaves.

Yep ... this is great ... I love talking about our brand new coach leaving. Fun stuff.

In order for the full-circle thingy to work, Crean will have had to win something at IU - ala LeBron.

MU82

• All American
In order for the full-circle thingy to work, Crean will have had to win something at IU - ala LeBron.

Well then ... never mind!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Do we need an official Wojo to.... thread?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
In my mind Wojo is gone after five years. That will be about the time Coach K retires and if Wojo has done a really good job he replaces K. On the flip side, if Wojo does a bad job we replace him. It also has occurred to me that the recruitment of Ellenson might determine Coach K's replacement. Ellenson picking MU puts Wojo in the drivers seat. Ellenson picking Northwestern puts Northwestern's coach in the drivers seat to replace Coach K.

Tums Festival

• All American
Not the most well researched article. Crean would leave Indiana in a heart beat to take the Spartan job. Nice to see Wojo mentioned but he hasn't even been a head coach for one game.

It's MSU!...it's MSU!
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Tums Festival

• All American
In my mind Wojo is gone after five years. That will be about the time Coach K retires and if Wojo has done a really good job he replaces K. On the flip side, if Wojo does a bad job we replace him. It also has occurred to me that the recruitment of Ellenson might determine Coach K's replacement. Ellenson picking MU puts Wojo in the drivers seat. Ellenson picking Northwestern puts Northwestern's coach in the drivers seat to replace Coach K.

I don't think the Duke job is Wojo's to lose by any means. Lots of other K disciples out there (Amaker, Dawkins), plus coaches outside the program (Stevens). Lots can happen in five years.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MU82

• All American
In my mind Wojo is gone after five years. That will be about the time Coach K retires and if Wojo has done a really good job he replaces K. On the flip side, if Wojo does a bad job we replace him.

First of all, as other posters have said, why would Wojo automatically be The One to replace K? So many other options.

Second of all, your "flip side" sentence demonstrates why coaches have no reason to be loyal to schools. Because you're right: We will fire Wojo's a$$ without a second thought if he doesn't win enough. Nobody will be whining about the coach's loyalty then.

Texas Western

• All American
[/quote
In order for Wojo to have another opportunity he has to do well  for an extended period here. At that point our program will have been successful with 3 consecutive coaches. At that point he has his own identity and can build his own legacy. So he would not necessarily be anxious to jump ship. In reality though he has not even coached a game. So at this point lets just get through the cupcake part of the schedule with a few wins and build from there.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American

I know everyone is adamant that Duke will be quick to hire Wojo if/when Coach K retires because he is a Duke guy, but the fact is that there are a lot of other Duke-connections that have a better resume and more experience to take over their program (Amaker, Dawkins, Capel, Snyder, Collins, and Hurley).  You can't ignore the fact that Kevin White, the Duke AD and former AD at Notre Dame, would probably put Mike Brey higher on his list.  Brey is a former Coach K assistant, has experienced success at Notre Dame, runs a clean/competitive program, and White hired him at Notre Dame in 2000. 

I personally think that Duke will hire outside the Duke circle, allowing the future coach to start fresh and put his own stamp on it.  I would list Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Josh Pastner, Fred Hoiberg and some other young coaches as having a higher probability of getting the Duke job.  Just my two cents.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Duke before MSU.

Crean may be tapped for MSU.
As long as he maintains average success at IU.
SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I personally think Coach K is going to retire in the next 3 years. I know he just made the "another 5 years" statement, but I don't buy it. I think he made that statement just to put recruits at ease. If Coach K does leave in the next 3 years, it will be too soon to tap Wojo.

And the whole bit about there being a dozen candidates for the Duke job is absolutely true. I think Wojo will be here for awhile (provided he succeeds).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.