'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: If MU ever decides to pick up FB again, do you think they'd join these guys?  (Read 40928 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
SS Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
I could see it. Though I still maintain hockey would be the better of the two for Marquette.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I could see it. Though I still maintain hockey would be the better of the two for Marquette.

It's an idea that makes a lot of sense. Geographically sound, more relevant than tennis, more profitable than track and field, and we already have the facility.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
It's an idea that makes a lot of sense. Geographically sound, more relevant than tennis, more profitable than track and field, and we already have the facility.

Plus untapped market.  I mean the admirals draw fans but a UW vs MU hockey game would be HUGE.  Gotta figure the resurgance of the popularity of hockey in chicago would help to since we have so many Chicagoland students. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Lemme get Saban on the phone and see if he's interested in coaching.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American

I second that.  Growing up deeply around hockey I had known Wisconsin was a hockey state because of UW, but upon arrival to Marquette I was surprised to see that Milwaukee was not a hockey town.

Texas Western

• All American
We need to have a write in campaign to get Derrick Wilson an invite to Next years NFL Combine.  I think some team would be willing to take a flyer on him.  That would be the closest Marquette comes to football.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
DeWil would make a great NFL CB/S, maybe even an HBack-type tight end.
Of course that sets the table for Bane as LB/TE if he chooses that direction. 

GGGG

• All American

Where?

I think both football and hockey would be a waste of resources.

alexius23

• Starter
Football is a black hole of expenses. I was involved in MU's Club Football back in the early '70's. The ASMU gave the Team $25,000 for a season. Not chump change at that time. I pointed out that at that same time Notre Dame spent a similar amount for athletic tape and similar training products.
MU had some good players when it folded the team but the money to keep up with the big boys of football  just wasn't there. Post World War II there was a growth spurt in collegiate football. Marquette tried to keep up but in the end the resources just weren't there
The start up money required to begin a team would need a huge capital investment and it would take years to make the program self sustaining much less a cash generator.
Even if MU could afford to field a team where would they play? Don't say Miller Park. That's impossible on so many levels.
No one would be happier than myself for a viable football team at MU. Perhaps starting in DIII or DII but I also would like Government to function in Washington DC too. One can dream but when you wake up you would need a tremendous will with very deep pockets to make it happen!

GGGG

• All American

No one would be happier than myself for a viable football team at MU. Perhaps starting in DIII or DII

That's can't happen.  They would have to start as non-scholarship FCS.  That's the Pioneer League.

And most DIII powers would roll over those schools.  It isn't good football at all.

MU82

• All American
I second that.  Growing up deeply around hockey I had known Wisconsin was a hockey state because of UW, but upon arrival to Marquette I was surprised to see that Milwaukee was not a hockey town.

Wisconsin is not a hockey state.

Maybe compared to, say, Alabama it is. But I think if you polled all Wisconsin sports fans and asked their favorite sport to watch or to play, hockey would be well down the list.

I lived in Minnesota for 10 years. It of course is considered a hockey state; it and Michigan are the closest thing we have to "hockey states" in the U.S. But vast swaths of Minnesota sports fans barely care about hockey, especially NHL and college hockey. And for every hockey player, there are dozens of basketball players.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Wisconsin is not a hockey state.

Maybe compared to, say, Alabama it is. But I think if you polled all Wisconsin sports fans and asked their favorite sport to watch or to play, hockey would be well down the list.

I lived in Minnesota for 10 years. It of course is considered a hockey state; it and Michigan are the closest thing we have to "hockey states" in the U.S. But vast swaths of Minnesota sports fans barely care about hockey, especially NHL and college hockey. And for every hockey player, there are dozens of basketball players.

Agreed.  I've lived in Minnesota for the past 16 years...and while many consider it a "hockey state," the Wild are still WAY behind the Vikings, Twins and even Timberwolves in terms of general interest and water cooler discussion.  There are quite a few people who live and breathe hockey, but those people are outliers even in the quintessential "hockey state."

Lennys Tap

• All American
Hockey is a niche sport everywhere in the US. Fans are passionate but relatively small in number.

MU82

• All American
Hockey is a niche sport everywhere in the US. Fans are passionate but relatively small in number.

"Niche" is the perfect word for it.

Not trashing hockey. I like hockey and thoroughly enjoyed this year's NHL playoffs. I used to enjoy the North Stars and Gophers. But I'm a realist.

The Flyers, Rangers, Blackhawks and Stars can sell out their arenas, but that doesn't make Penn, NY, Ill and Tex "hockey states." Even Detroit -- "Hockey Town" has far more Tigers and Lions fans than Wings fans. Probably even more Pistons fans.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

Where?

I think both football and hockey would be a waste of resources.

The Bradley Center
TAMU

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
The Bradley Center

Between the Bucks, MU hoops, the Admirals and concerts, I'm not sure how many open dates the BC has during hoops/hockey season.

Add that to the fact that we'd be lucky to get a couple thousand fans, and I'd doubt the cost would be worth it - for MU or the BC.  It might be worth it if we could instantly produce a legit D-1 team that would compete with UW-Madison, ND, Michigan, Minnesota, etc...but it would be many years before we'd ever have a chance to get that far.

Seems like we'd need a smaller/cheaper facility to make it worth it at the level we'd start out.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Between the Bucks, MU hoops, the Admirals and concerts, I'm not sure how many open dates the BC has during hoops/hockey season.

Add that to the fact that we'd be lucky to get a couple thousand fans, and I'd doubt the cost would be worth it - for MU or the BC.  It might be worth it if we could instantly produce a legit D-1 team that would compete with UW-Madison, ND, Michigan, Minnesota, etc...but it would be many years before we'd ever have a chance to get that far.

Seems like we'd need a smaller/cheaper facility to make it worth it at the level we'd start out.

We'd do better than a couple thousand.  Heck the club hockey team gets a really good chunk of fans to take buses out to Brookfield.  I believe we'd be just fine with fans. 

As far as WI being a hockey state or not.  Maybe it isn't everywhere but everyone I'm friends with from up north live and die for hockey.  They still talk about their HS hockey accomplishments like it's the olympics and there are tons of NHL and AHL players from WI so there obviously is a lot of talent.  I'm sure it's similar in minnesota, not trying to act like I know you guys, but how many of you are from St cloud, daluth, morehead etc.  I'm sure up there is where Minnesota earns it's hockey state mentality.  Same with the U.P. in Michigan.  Also you guys are forgetting Massachussetts is HUGE into hockey it gets overshadowed because all Boston sports are fantastic but I gaurantee the Bruins are just as big as the other teams minus the Patriots. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American

Even if they got 5,000 fans per game, and I think that is a lot, it's going to look terrible in an arena that big.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American

Even if they got 5,000 fans per game, and I think that is a lot, it's going to look terrible in an arena that big.

5k really isnt that much. Thats half the student body and I know more than a few people who refuse to go to basketball games but would hapilly go to hockey games. Plus the fans who just love going to MU sporting events would go regardless. The biggest problem for me is the lack of other high caliber D1 hockey teams. You have the boston schools, the big 10 schools and really nobody else besides really small schools.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
We'd do better than a couple thousand.  Heck the club hockey team gets a really good chunk of fans to take buses out to Brookfield.  I believe we'd be just fine with fans. 

As far as WI being a hockey state or not.  Maybe it isn't everywhere but everyone I'm friends with from up north live and die for hockey.  They still talk about their HS hockey accomplishments like it's the olympics and there are tons of NHL and AHL players from WI so there obviously is a lot of talent.  I'm sure it's similar in minnesota, not trying to act like I know you guys, but how many of you are from St cloud, daluth, morehead etc.  I'm sure up there is where Minnesota earns it's hockey state mentality.  Same with the U.P. in Michigan.  Also you guys are forgetting Massachussetts is HUGE into hockey it gets overshadowed because all Boston sports are fantastic but I gaurantee the Bruins are just as big as the other teams minus the Patriots. 

MN is in a whole different category when it comes to hockey popularity.

WI isn't even close. It's not a good comparison.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
You have the boston schools, the big 10 schools and really nobody else besides really small schools.

This isn't true. At all.

Go back and look at the WCHA. LOTS of good/great teams that aren't from Hockey East, and didn't move to the B10.

EDIT This will save you some time.

Some great hockey programs here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Collegiate_Hockey_Conference
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:26:50 AM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

Galway Eagle

• All American

The Admirals average 5,624. They reached their best in 11-12 with 6,226.  It's safe to assume that a handful of those are hardcore hockey fans that we could draw.  In terms of NCAA attendence similar schools like BC average 6,384 and Notre Dame 4,885 .  Numbers 6 and 13 respectively.  It should be noted that in order to house D1 hockey the arena does not have to be that big.  Heck there's smaller ones than the AL out there.  So if you put in the hockey capacity there that's one option.  Option two is the bradley center only renting the lower bowl, which I believe the admirals do for a lot of games?.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
MN is in a whole different category when it comes to hockey popularity.

WI isn't even close. It's not a good comparison.

Not denying that.  I'm just saying that WI can still be considered a Hockey state even though it doesn't measure up to say Minnesota.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback