Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette's Chris Sheridan, NBA Reporter  (Read 8573 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Marquette's Chris Sheridan, NBA Reporter
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:02:42 AM »
NBA columnist Chris Sheridan is making big news by claiming that sources have confirmed to him that LeBron is going back to Cleveland. I saw in Sheridan's bio that he is a Marquette grad. Anyone here know him?

http://www.sheridanhoops.com
We Are Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Marquette's Chris Sheridan, NBA Reporter
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »
NBA columnist Chris Sheridan is making big news by claiming that sources have confirmed to him that LeBron is going back to Cleveland. I saw in Sheridan's bio that he is a Marquette grad. Anyone here know him?

Did he mention thousands of heads exploding in Chicago and Los Angeles?

Richie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »

Class of '89 here, Chris Sheridan often hung out with the late and great Joe Metz and 2 other alums whose names I cannot recall; they were class of 88 I think. Chris was always the quiet one, nice guy, but compared to Metz anybody was quiet; we'd hang out at the Gym and argue about sports. Tragically, Joe was hit by a car while getting out of his car to go to grad class; I think he'd be happy with Chris today.

Cowherd is talking about him now on his show -- I hope Chris is right.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
Absolutely right, Richie.   Another east coast kid, roommate of Joe Metz during his upperclass years, along with Joe Burke and Glen Hendry.    Chris had one of the more....ummmm.... challenging freshman year roommates.     Nice guy in college.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:56:13 AM »
Class of '89 here, Chris Sheridan often hung out with the late and great Joe Metz and 2 other alums whose names I cannot recall; they were class of 88 I think. Chris was always the quiet one, nice guy, but compared to Metz anybody was quiet; we'd hang out at the Gym and argue about sports. Tragically, Joe was hit by a car while getting out of his car to go to grad class; I think he'd be happy with Chris today.

Cowherd is talking about him now on his show -- I hope Chris is right.

I hope he is right as well. I follow Sheridan on Twitter and in response to challenges, he said that he's been a reporter for 25 years and he wouldn't risk everything if he was wrong. Sheridan has gone as far as to basically make LeBron to Cleveland a "done deal."

To me it's very interesting that in the four years since LeBron left Cleveland that the small market Cavaliers got not one but two number one picks that turned into a PG and a SG and were able to swing a three-way trade just this week to clear max cap space for LeBron at the exact same time LeBron opted out in Miami.

If it wasn't collusion one could cynically think that the NBA had this narrative of the "golden boy returns home" planned and coordinated for years..........
We Are Marquette

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »
I hope he is right as well. I follow Sheridan on Twitter and in response to challenges, he said that he's been a reporter for 25 years and he wouldn't risk everything if he was wrong. Sheridan has gone as far as to basically make LeBron to Cleveland a "done deal."

To me it's very interesting that in the four years since LeBron left Cleveland that the small market Cavaliers got not one but two number one picks that turned into a PG and a SG and were able to swing a three-way trade just this week to clear max cap space for LeBron at the exact same time LeBron opted out in Miami.

If it wasn't collusion one could cynically think that the NBA had this narrative of the "golden boy returns home" planned and coordinated for years..........

Three #1 picks - Anthony Bennett.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:06:20 PM »
Three #1 picks - Anthony Bennett.

Yikes. You're right. But I'm sure there number ones is just a coincidence........ ::)
We Are Marquette

chuck

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »
Hi, this is Chuck Ulie, class of '88 and former post-college roommate of one of the two Chris Sheridans being discussed here.
Sportswriter Chris Sheridan (class of 87, I believe) is not the same Chris Sheridan (class of 88) who hung out with Joe Metz, etc...
The confusion is that they both have the same name, both were at Marquette at the same time, both are from the New York area, and both were journalism majors for a while (Class of 88 Chris Sheridan switched to Business) — geesh, throw in a spurned woman and we have all the makings for a Lifetime movie.
Adding to the two-degrees-of-separation here is that I worked at the Hammond Times newspaper in the mid-90s with Bernadette Sheridan, sister of sportswriter Chris Sheridan.
Class of '88 Chris Sheridan lives in Chicago, as do I.

chuck

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »
Also, in regard to the death of Joe Metz, he was killed when he was hit by a car when crossing a street, he was not exiting a car.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:37:20 AM »

Source?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 10:41:34 AM »
Yikes. You're right. But I'm sure there number ones is just a coincidence........ ::)

Forget New York, L.A., Boston, Chicago and Miami. It obviously is the NBA's goal to establish a dynasty in Cleveland.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 10:48:16 AM »
Chris Sheridan is a good friend and is one of the hardest-working people I know ... not just in journalism but in any industry.

Chris is one of many accomplished MU-grad sportswriters who have been dubbed the Marquette Media Mafia. That list includes the likes of Steve Rushin, Mary Schmitt Boyer, Mike Nadel, Nancy Armour, Steve Aschburner, Don Burke, Tom Keegan and Dan McGrath. (Hope I didn't leave anybody out.) Throw in Cubs broadcaster Len Kasper as an honorary member!

I am rooting for Chris to be right on this story.

chuck

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »
Hi Lens, the source is me. I talk to and see Class of 1988 Chris Sheridan regularly, lived with him for four years, was a reader at his wedding, and he was a reader at my wedding. I also am the godfather to one of his daughters.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »
Chris Sheridan is a good friend and is one of the hardest-working people I know ... not just in journalism but in any industry.

Chris is one of many accomplished MU-grad sportswriters who have been dubbed the Marquette Media Mafia. That list includes the likes of Steve Rushin, Mary Schmitt Boyer, Mike Nadel, Nancy Armour, Steve Aschburner, Don Burke, Tom Keegan and Dan McGrath. (Hope I didn't leave anybody out.) Throw in Cubs broadcaster Len Kasper as an honorary member!

I am rooting for Chris to be right on this story.

Throw in fellow Brother Rice alum and MU alum Brad Galli. At only 25 he's making waves in Detroit. A couple weeks ago he won a sports Emmy on the night of his wedding. If Brad wasn't so loyal to Detroit I think he could be on FS1 some day as he's clearly a big east guy...wife went to Xavier. (fuk ESPN)
Bring back FFP!!!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 11:27:29 AM »
He was right

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

I'm glad he's going to Cleveland.  As a sports city, they deserve something good to happen.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:32:53 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Richie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
Hi, this is Chuck Ulie, class of '88 and former post-college roommate of one of the two Chris Sheridans being discussed here.
Sportswriter Chris Sheridan (class of 87, I believe) is not the same Chris Sheridan (class of 88) who hung out with Joe Metz, etc...

Thanks Chuck, didn't know all that.

Anybody think Wade was the source for Chris?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »
Hi Lens, the source is me. I talk to and see Class of 1988 Chris Sheridan regularly, lived with him for four years, was a reader at his wedding, and he was a reader at my wedding. I also am the godfather to one of his daughters.

So you're saying..."I am the source" ?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 12:18:20 PM »

Thanks Chuck, didn't know all that.

Anybody think Wade was the source for Chris?

You may be correct,  I suspected somebody with the Heat was his source.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 01:14:12 PM »
The confusion is that they both have the same name, both were at Marquette at the same time, both are from the New York area, and both were journalism majors for a while (Class of 88 Chris Sheridan switched to Business) — geesh, throw in a spurned woman and we have all the makings for a Lifetime movie.
Adding to the two-degrees-of-separation here is that I worked at the Hammond Times newspaper in the mid-90s with Bernadette Sheridan, sister of sportswriter Chris Sheridan.

Thanks, Chuck.   I have always been confused by the two Chris Sheridans.   I, too, was friends with the class of 88 version, as well as Joe, Joe, Glen, etc.     The clarification is welcome.    Sean
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »
Did he mention thousands of heads exploding in Chicago and Los Angeles?

Miami currently. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 01:40:09 PM »
Miami currently. 

Are there Heat fans?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 02:33:08 PM »
Miami currently.  

From the Miami Herald online:

Miami (AP) Miami mayor Philip Levine called up the National Guard today, closed all beaches and declared a general state of emergency as heads began to randomly explode throughout the community. "It's carnage like I've never seen" said an obviously shaken Mayor. "It's worse than any hurricane that's ever hit the area - I can't imagine what could have caused this disaster". Told by a reporter that LeBron James was taking his talents back to Cleveland, the mayor reeled, staggered and fell lifeless as large chunks of his brain splattered the crowd. Mayor Levine is already the 47,562nd confirmed fatality, with the number expected to climb to 200,000 by nightfall. Acting mayor Jamie "Chico" Dyckes said he expects mass casualties in Los Angeles and Chicago, too, but at this moment streets remained calm in our nation's second and third largest cities. When asked about Dycke's dire prognostication, Chicago mayor Rahm Emmanuel replied "Lebron who?" and LA mayor Eric Garcetti reportedly said, "Whatever, dude". Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:38:45 PM by Lennys Tap »

source?

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »
From the Miami Herald online:

Miami (AP) Miami mayor Philip Levine called up the National Guard today, closed all beaches and declared a general state of emergency as heads began to randomly explode throughout the community. "It's carnage like I've never seen" said an obviously shaken Mayor. "It's worse than any hurricane that's ever hit the area - I can't imagine what could have caused this disaster". Told by a reporter that LeBron James was taking his talents back to Cleveland, the mayor reeled, staggered and fell lifeless as large chunks of his brain splattered the crowd. Mayor Levine is already the 47,562nd confirmed fatality, with the number expected to climb to 200,000 by nightfall. Acting mayor Jamie "Chico" Dyckes said he expects mass casualties in Los Angeles and Chicago, too, but at this moment streets remained calm in our nation's second and third largest cities. When asked about Dycke's dire prognostication, Chicago mayor Rahm Emmanuel replied "Lebron who?" and LA mayor Eric Garcetti reportedly said, "Whatever, dude". Stay tuned.

See, this here is what makes scoop worth visiting. You have to wade through countless thread jackings about who hates which player and who slurps whom, but these kinds of posts make it worthwhile. Bravo, sir.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 03:38:40 PM »
Are there Heat fans?

Not anymore!

Hell, they had a good run. Many franchises in many sports never get to have a run like that in their entire history.