[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Kentucky Cooling On Diamond Stone?  (Read 9727 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Is Kentucky Cooling On Diamond Stone?
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »
I know Wojo left today on a recruiting trip ... was he at this?

Calipari, Pitino at Philly Reebok camp
5:49 p.m. EDT July 9, 2014

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/recruiting/2014/07/09/calipari-pitino-at-reebok-camp/12429261/

Kentucky coach John Calipari and Louisville coach Rick Pitino have begun the July live evaluation period at the Reebok Breakout Challenge camp in Philadelphia.

According to Josh Newman of the Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, Calipari and Pitino were both watching an early-evening game that featured Diamond Stone, the nation's No. 1 2015 player by Scout.com, five-star power forward Skal Labissiere, five-star-star 2016 point guard Derryck Thornton and five-star 2016 shooting guard Tyus Battle.

Stone is not thought to be a primary UK target, but it would be no surprise if the Wildcats ramp up their interest, considering that he and Malik Newman - the nation's top guard and a primary UK target - have said they want to attend the same college.

Top-20 2016 big man Abdulhakim Ado is another U of L target in Philly.

Newman tweeted that Wisconsin's Bo Ryan and UConn's Kevin Ollie were also on hand for the first game at the camp.

Pitino said on Wednesday that he would be in Philly, then Indianapolis - the site of the Adidas Invitational. Trinity big man Ray Spalding would figure to be a player he'll watch in Indy.

U of L assistant Mike Balado is thought to be in Las Vegas attending the LeBron James Skills Academy.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Is Kentucky Cooling On Diamond Stone?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »
Another Article that suggest Kentucky is cooling on Stone ...

Summer vacation ends now for John Calipari and staff

July 9, 2014

http://wildcatbluenation.com/2014/07/09/summer-vacation-ends-now-john-calipari-staff/

Now that the Fourth of July holiday is past us, it’s time to really get to work for John Calipari and his staff. Today at 5:00PM marks the beginning of the July evaluation period, which is probably the most crucial part of the college recruiting season. Unclear about exactly what the evaluation period is?  Here ya go:

For three consecutive weekends during the month, coaches are allowed to evaluate prospects from 5:00 p.m. on a Wednesday until 5:00 p.m. on a Sunday. What that means is that during a 15-day stretch in the middle of the summer, these high school players will be in gyms across the country, essentially auditioning for the coaches that they hope to one day play for.

Audition is the proper word to use here as well.

No in-person contact is allowed between the college coaches and the recruits or the families of the recruits. It’s strictly an opportunity for scouting and evaluation, which creates a surreal environment at the events that take place. Family, friends, AAU coaches and the athletes themselves are all ushered onto one side of the court after entering the gym through one entrance. The college coaches are fenced in on the other side of the court after entering through a different entrance. 

This recruiting cycle is especially crucial for Kentucky, who has just one recruit committed in the form of Charles Matthews.  With Kentucky there is a lot of uncertainty as to how many players will leave, but it should be a large number.  And while Kentucky is recruiting a lot of 2015 players, it still seems as if no real leader has emerged yet.  The July period should clarify who Calipari’s main targets are and the eval period is a time when players either stand out or fall back.  It will be interesting to see who stands out for Kentucky.

Five of the past six years John Calipari has signed the top recruiting class in the country and usually heading into July there’s a player or two, typically at the top of the rankings, that you point at and say he is going to Kentucky. This year, I’m not quite sure who that is. The Wildcats are heavily recruiting top 10 players Diamond Stone (how hard has remains to be seen), Jaylen Brown, Malik Newman, Cheick Diallo, Stephen Zimmerman, Skal Labissiere and Carlton Bragg. Since 2009 they’ve picked up 15 top 100 players, so they are sure to get one or more, but it’s not clear cut which player Kentucky will walk away this go around.

Even though Kentucky is going to lose a ton of talent after this season, they should still have most of their 2014 class hanging around another year. Only Karl Towns may be a one and done player and you get the feeling that he may stick around another year. The above players will be the leaders of the 2015-16 team and now is a good time as any to be thankful that Kentucky will have Tyler Ulis then.

The 2015 class is a very thin class for point guards and most teams that need one will be scrambling. The bit from Evan Daniels just stresses the importance of Tyler Ulis.

I’ve received countless phone calls from college coaches searching for point guards in the 2015 class. 13 of the top 30 lead guards in the class are already committed. It’s already a thin group, as just 16 point guards are in the 2015 top 100. There will be ample opportunity for some new guys to emerge. If I were a betting man the best chance for a new name to emerge would be at Reebok Breakout Camp, the Victor Oladipo/Ty Lawson All-American Camp, out in Las Vegas or at one of the Hoop Group events.

I would not expect any commitments to come the rest of the summer for Kentucky basketball, but as we have learned, we don’t have to worry about recruiting with John Calipari at the helm. This year seems as confusing as any, but I would expect the late signing period in May to be the busier one for Kentucky. That said, look for Calipari to lock target on a couple of recruits after the eval period and turn up the pressure. We should have a clearer picture of recruiting in the Fall.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:19:39 PM »
... and this too ...

Kentucky
July Storylines
July 9, 2014

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Article/Kentucky-storylines-to-follow-entering-July-evaluation-period-29530926

After two relatively quiet months on the recruiting trail, the first of three July evaluation periods begins on Wednesday at 5:00 PM EST.

John Calipari and the rest of the Kentucky staff, along with college coaches from around the country, will spend the next three weekends in gyms across the country scouting out and following their main recruiting priorities.

Mystery and Intrigue

Already the most crucial stretch of the recruiting calendar year, after just one evaluation period in the spring as opposed to the usual two, this summer's live period is of even more significance.

In most years, the UK staff will have already tabbed their top targets by this point in the year but with only one spring evaluation opportunity, may not be as far down the road during this cycle.

There is certainly a pool of guys that the Wildcats are already in on, but there is a little bit more mystery and intrigue involved in this class.

It's a pretty good bet that Calipari will ink another impressive recruiting class and while UK is at or near the top of the list for a number of prospects, there doesn't seem to be a sure-fire lock in 2015 like in years past.

First Rodeo

This summer evaluation period will also mark the first for new UK assistant Barry Rohrssen, who was recently named one of the top 10 impact coaching changes from a recruiting standpoint by CBSSports.com.

It's doubtful much will change on the recruiting trail for Calipari and Kentucky, who have the ability to go into any nook or cranny in the country and recruit, but Rohrssen should give the Wildcats a presence in the northeast, particularly New York City, in the spot vacated by Orlando Antigua.

While it's a common misconception that Rohrssen was the point man on Cheick Diallo's commitment while at Pittsburgh, he has nevertheless been instrumental in getting UK involved with both he as well as 2016 5-star Tyus Battle.

Package Deal

When it comes to package deals, it's best to bet against them but the most-talked about pairing in 2015 continues to be Malik Newman and Diamond Stone.

While Kentucky has made its desire for Newman known for some time, the Wildcats have yet to jump into Stone's recruitment with both feet.

Will be interesting to see if and when that changes and where Stone falls in UK's frontcourt pecking order with so many other quality options on the board.

Looking Ahead

While UK may not be as far along in 2015, in part due to the uncertainty surrounding who will depart after this season, they have been more aggressive than usual in its recruitment of the next class.

With so much potential roster turnover from year to year, Calipari rarely has the luxury of recruiting ahead but was very active at the beginning of the contact period June 15, extending offers to 2016 5-stars Thon Maker, Udoka Azubuike, Tyus Battle and Derryck Thornton.

New Names

Without fail, as well as you think you have UK's yearly recruiting efforts pegged, there are new names that pop up on the radar by the time July rolls around and it's a safe bet this year will be no different.

Several names to keep an eye on that the Wildcats have not been involved with to this point are 5-stars Ray Smith, Allonzo Trier, Antonio Blakeney, Dwayne Bacon and Deng Adel.

UK vs. KU

It's been hard to match Kentucky's recruiting prowess since Calipari arrived in Lexington five years ago but after scoring recruiting victories over UK for Andrew Wiggins, Kelly Oubre and to an extent Cliff Alexander, Kansas has been as hot a name as any on the recruiting trail over the past two years.

That won't change in 2015 and it looks as though UK and KU will lock horns for 5-star prospects Malik Newman, Cheick Diallo and Carlton Bragg.

And you can tell. Word has it there's been a lot of negative recruiting coming from the Kansas camp, particularly as it pertains to Diallo and Bragg.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:26:21 PM »
According to Mark Miller, Wojo is in Vegas watching Ellenson.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »
Nothing in any of those indicates anything about "cooling". Nice attention-grabbing headline though.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:41:13 PM »
Heavily recruiting=cooling?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:51:48 PM »
Do you guys remember the zillions post here that said Stone was a #donedeal! to Kentucky?
How about the posts that said Stone and Newman were a package deal?

Given that all the "experts" here said Stone as a lock for Kentucky, how is the current national champion recruiting of the nation's number 1 player being described by three different stories dated today?

* Stone is not thought to be a primary UK target
* The Wildcats are heavily recruiting top 10 players Diamond Stone (how hard has remains to be seen) ...
* the Wildcats have yet to jump into Stone's recruitment with both feet

So either all the talk here about Stone to Kentucky was flat out wrong, or, something has changed and Kentucky has "cooled" on him.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:57:56 PM by Heisenberg »

Black Swan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
I don't see Stone as being close to a one and done guy.  He doesn't appear that explosive to me...does that sound like a UK guy? Not a must get for Cal in my book. Just a gut feel but I think UCLA maybe?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:31:27 PM »
I have a feeling Stone will fall into the Cameron Ridley type. Which is really not a bad thing, just not the 1 and done everybody expected.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 09:47:33 PM »
Do you guys remember the zillions post here that said Stone was a #donedeal! to Kentucky?
How about the posts that said Stone and Newman were a package deal?

Given that all the "experts" here said Stone as a lock for Kentucky, how is the current national champion recruiting of the nation's number 1 player being described by three different stories dated today?

* Stone is not thought to be a primary UK target
* The Wildcats are heavily recruiting top 10 players Diamond Stone (how hard has remains to be seen) ...
* the Wildcats have yet to jump into Stone's recruitment with both feet

So either all the talk here about Stone to Kentucky was flat out wrong, or, something has changed and Kentucky has "cooled" on him.

I can't find a single post here in the search that says Stone is going to Kentucky as a donedeal.  Not one, let alone zillions.  I can see about 8 that say Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, KU or somewhere else, but not one that says Kentucky alone.  The closest one is Bilsu saying "I think Stone ends up at Kentucky, especially if he does not commit to UW soon after the final four".  That's not donedeal. 

Yes, package deal posts were listed, and that may or may not be true. 

brandx

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 09:54:43 PM »
Well, Kentucky has 4 bigs this year (who knows how many will return) plus they have excellent chances at LaBissiere and Diallo.

You can only have so many bigs on one team.

Hopefully this is to MU's advantage.

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 10:03:11 PM »
The most surprising part of the articles is that Newman actually posted that Bo Ryan was in attendance. I'm shocked that he even mentioned the fact that Bo Ryan was there to watch. That makes me think that you can't count out Wisconsin for Stone if Newman is actually interested in UW. A Stone/Newman recruitment would be pretty amazing for anyone. Bo would be getting away from his traditional recruiting, and who knows what that would bring. It could bring more success, or more headaches. Even if Diamond and Newman have an interest in UW, I would be pretty shocked if they could land these two over the major powers in the nation. One never knows. Bo's getting up there in years, and I'm sure he would do whatever he could to bring home a national championship.

I'm glad to hear that Wojo is actively making sure that Henry sees him whenever and wherever he plays. He would be a huge get for MU! Extremely versatile 6'10" player with a great shooting touch from deep, a good passer, and tremendous ball handler for a big, can beat his man off the dribble, and is crafty inside as well. If Henry comes to MU, this will be a great recruiting class! I like our chances with Henry more than UW's to land Stone. Who knows, maybe Stone will see the light and follow Henry to MU as well. It would be a recruiting class with three 6'10"'s but I think we could find room for all. Each one of them bring something different from a skill set point of view. Stone is a true post, Heldt is more of a power forward. He can step out and hit from deep or post you up. He is an above average passer as well. Ellenson can actually play the small forward, power forward, or center position at times. I know that is extreme wishful thinking, but one can dream. You never know!

Go MU!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 10:08:24 PM »
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello  3m 
 More
 Coach K, Roy Williams, Steve Alford, Wojo, Arizona all here for Ivan Rabb vs. Henry Ellenson.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 10:12:08 PM »
Stone* cooled on Kentucky. He's looking for a more "care for the whole person" approach to his education. No telling who might lead in that category.

Fixed
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:54:14 PM by WarriorCode »
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 10:25:46 PM »
Some cooled on Kentucky. He's looking for a more "care for the whole person" approach to his education. No telling who might lead in that category.

I think the only given in this whole thing is anywhere but UK.

My money is on Georgetown.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »
I can't find a single post here in the search that says Stone is going to Kentucky as a donedeal.  Not one, let alone zillions.  I can see about 8 that say Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, KU or somewhere else, but not one that says Kentucky alone.  The closest one is Bilsu saying "I think Stone ends up at Kentucky, especially if he does not commit to UW soon after the final four".  That's not donedeal.  

Yes, package deal posts were listed, and that may or may not be true.  

So If I said "Kentucky was always cool on Stone and remains that way" it would be a better title?

If so, a more interesting question is why Calipari is unsure about the guy ranked #1 in the nation by Scout.  I don't care how many bigs you have, how do you not "go hard" after the #1 player?

My answer, you have concluded he is going somewhere else and your time is better spent chasing others.  If so, could MU be that "somewhere else?"
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:37:57 PM by Heisenberg »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »
The most surprising part of the articles is that Newman actually posted that Bo Ryan was in attendance. I'm shocked that he even mentioned the fact that Bo Ryan was there to watch. That makes me think that you can't count out Wisconsin for Stone if Newman is actually interested in UW. A Stone/Newman recruitment would be pretty amazing for anyone. Bo would be getting away from his traditional recruiting, and who knows what that would bring. It could bring more success, or more headaches. Even if Diamond and Newman have an interest in UW, I would be pretty shocked if they could land these two over the major powers in the nation. One never knows. Bo's getting up there in years, and I'm sure he would do whatever he could to bring home a national championship.

I'm glad to hear that Wojo is actively making sure that Henry sees him whenever and wherever he plays. He would be a huge get for MU! Extremely versatile 6'10" player with a great shooting touch from deep, a good passer, and tremendous ball handler for a big, can beat his man off the dribble, and is crafty inside as well. If Henry comes to MU, this will be a great recruiting class! I like our chances with Henry more than UW's to land Stone. Who knows, maybe Stone will see the light and follow Henry to MU as well. It would be a recruiting class with three 6'10"'s but I think we could find room for all. Each one of them bring something different from a skill set point of view. Stone is a true post, Heldt is more of a power forward. He can step out and hit from deep or post you up. He is an above average passer as well. Ellenson can actually play the small forward, power forward, or center position at times. I know that is extreme wishful thinking, but one can dream. You never know!

Go MU!

I read this to mean Bo has given up on Ellenson otherwise he would have been in Las Vegas today.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 10:42:18 PM »
I wouldn't take it any other way. There is no other explanation.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:44:13 PM by We R Final Four »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 11:53:29 PM »
The way I read the articles the question is not whether Kentucky has cooled on Stone, but it is whether Kentucky's interest will heat up?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 11:57:07 PM »
So If I said "Kentucky was always cool on Stone and remains that way" it would be a better title?

If so, a more interesting question is why Calipari is unsure about the guy ranked #1 in the nation by Scout.  I don't care how many bigs you have, how do you not "go hard" after the #1 player?

My answer, you have concluded he is going somewhere else and your time is better spent chasing others.  If so, could MU be that "somewhere else?"

I have posted a couple of times that Kentucky had not been recruiting Stone...but...they were lurking in the distance. Stone only made #1 recently. Kentucky has been more interested in a few other bigs including Diallo, Rabb, Labriesse, and Zimmerman. I think there was some momentum on Stone when the package deal with Newman was announced. But that momentum cooled when Stone's dad debunked the package deal rumors.

As it stands now I think its Marquette if he chooses local and North Carolina if he chooses blue blood. But, there's a lot of time between now and him signing somewhere. Kentucky is ALWAYS in play. Remember they signed Terrence Ross after he committed to Washington. Coach Cal is ALWAYS in play.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »
The way I read the articles the question is not whether Kentucky has cooled on Stone, but it is whether Kentucky's interest will heat up?

That's how I read it too.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 12:01:44 AM »

Scout has him #5 in the nation, #1 center.

I don't have a problem with the title, but don't see where all these people here said Kentucky was a done deal. 

Kentucky selects who they want to bother with.  Who knows how involved they are, but you need guys at all positions and they might think they are done at the 5 spot.  My guess is if Kentucky wants to be involved, Stone will listen but doesn't mean he is going there. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 12:05:17 AM »
I wouldn't take it any other way. There is no other explanation.

Isn't the explanation that Stone was playing in Philadelphia and Ellenson in Las Vegas, can only be in one place at one time?  I doubt very much UW-madison has given up on recruiting Ellenson, that's silly talk IMO.

brandx

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 12:54:40 AM »

Kentucky is able to recruit a little differently than most schools. They don't need to get in early on top players and cultivate a long relationship.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 01:28:07 AM »

Go MU!

The Newman you are referring to is media guy Josh Newman and not Malik Newman.

I think Wisconsin still has a shot at Stone and I'm betting Bo will be in Chicago today to watch big man Josh Sharma from Northfield (MA) Mount Hermon as the Adidas camp opens to coaches today.  That probably gives you an indication as to who Bo is focused on.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:29:57 AM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

feedback