[Today at 09:13:49 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Derrick Wilson Blog Update  (Read 2497 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Derrick Wilson Blog Update
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:03:51 PM »
On Point: Derrick Wilson Blog Entry No. 4
Wilson talks Tony Romo and the World Cup
July 9, 2014

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/070914aaa.html

I'm back! I hope everybody had a great and safe 4th of July weekend. Now it's back to the real world. So this week I have a cool story to tell you that I forgot to tell you last week.

So about two weeks ago, we got a chance to meet and play a pick-up game with one of the best quarterbacks in the league, the one and only Tony Romo. He was a really cool guy and very down to earth. He was also a lot better at basketball than I expected. He could shoot, good passer to no surprise and also had an arsenal of moves that caught some of our players off guard. Overall it was a great experience and I thought he was great person. So, thank you Tony for taking time out to come speak to us and also play some basketball with us as well.

I also I know that people are wondering how our new teammates have been since they have arrived on campus. To answer that question, they have been great. We all know that they are really good players, but they are also really good people and teammates. Matt, Gabe and Sandy have been doing well in workouts and are going to be really good for our program for this up coming year and the years to come. I'm proud to call them my teammates and really excited that they are here.

These past couple of weeks has been crazy in the sports world. The two specific sports I've been paying attention to are basketball and soccer/football (whichever one you prefer). I'll start with basketball. For these past weeks the discussion in the locker room has been about where players are going to go, specifically LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Love because they are the three everybody has been talking about. Personally, I have no clue what any of those guys are going to do, but who ever ends up with those guys is going to be taking a step in the right direction. As for soccer, now that USA is out of the World Cup my back up team is Germany because it's my birthplace and I am what you call a band wagoner and I'm not ashamed to admit that. I have them taking it all.

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Derrick Wilson Blog Update
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 07:03:31 PM »
I wish I liked Derrick's game as much as his blogs.  This was fun to read - he's right - Tony Romo is a pretty good basketball player.  I played against him many offseasons in Dallas..when he and I were both a lot quicker - 2003 to 2006.  We'd always defend each other..and he was a very good player at 22 or 23...I was 29 at the time  He actually separated my shoulder...and it landed me in the emergency room..

Funny store how we met:  I was at my gym in Dallas where I'd play ball 5 days a week after work, and this particular day, I had MU official game basketball shorts on - that Mike Rice gave me from coaching MU basketball camps.  The shorts just said MU on them and the Golden Eagle.  This guy said to me - Did you go to Marquette?  I said, yes - How did you know? (nobody in Dallas knows what MU basketball shorts look like)  He said I grew up outside of Milwaukee and am a MU fan.

Said to him, cool.  What do you do down here?  He said:  I'm a football player.  Looked at him - it was his first year in Dallas..looked young - and figured he probably played at SMU across the freeway from our health club. Asked him though who he played for - he said the Cowboys!  Was surprised..as I had no idea who the guy was as it was first year in Dallas.  Asked him what position..he said QB.  From that day forward we squared off a lot...along with Terrance Newman...guy had crazy springs/hops.

Sorry for the name dropping....but it was fun to read Derrick's take on Tony now at age 35 coming off of 2 back surgeries...he's not nearly the athlete from a quickness perspective he was 11 years ago...but the guy is a very coordinated guy...

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:55:54 AM »
Tony now at age 35

Wow. How the hell did that happen?

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 10:08:51 AM »
Sorry for the name dropping... 

I assumed Chicos Hoopalooped your account

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
D. Wilson seems like such a great guy I actually feel guilty about the evil thoughts I have about him and his play during basketball season (: Must be the Catholic in me.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »
D. Wilson seems like such a great guy I actually feel guilty about the evil thoughts I have about him and his play during basketball season (: Must be the Catholic in me.
Yeah, he is a great guy, so he deserves to play all 40 every game.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.