Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Henry Ellenson Follows MU Closely And Is A Big Wojo Fan!  (Read 50082 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Henry Ellenson Follows MU Closely And Is A Big Wojo Fan!
« on: July 09, 2014, 07:49:43 PM »
I stumbled across this, not sure if it has been posted here.  See the highlighted part below.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2014/5/25/5748302/is-it-a-chance-that-2015-henry-ellenson-plays-with-his-aau-teammate

Where will Henry Ellenson land?

Henry Ellenson, who is in the Class of 2015 and plays EYBL for Playground Elite, has a couple Big East offers from the likes of the Creighton Bluejays, the Marquette Golden Eagles, and the Georgetown Hoyas. The Hoyas appear that they are not really involved because they are already stocked full of big men, with three already and the last big man that they are targeting is 2015 recruit Ivan Rabb.

Ellenson plays with 2015 Marquette commit Nick Noskowiak, which could be good news for the Golden Eagles because should Ellenson tag along, then they will have a sense of chemistry between them. Ellenson is a big bodied, athletic player who can score well in the low post and plays with a glimmering presence of confidence.

When it comes to keeping track of Marquette, the 6-foot-9 forward from Rice Lake, Wisc. is far from a stranger. Ellenson told me he's been intently following them and is a big fan of new head coach Steve Wojciechowski. This does give Noskowiak some confidence because, much like his fellow teammate, he's a staunch supporter and builds up the chemistry between the two young men.

Ellenson said he will talk to several coaches in the summer, but also added that he does not feel like he need to take an official visit during the summer because he wants to work on refining his game. Ellenson also informed Big East Coast Bias that he is aware that a few coaches will come to see him play during the live period in July.

I also got the chance to talk to Ellenson's teammate about the possibility of playing with him. "I would feel really good," Nick said. "We really want him at Marquette. We make each other's games better."

With Nick being the first commit, it increases their chances of playing with one another since they both hail from Wisconsin. As we have seen in the past, the in-state factor can play a huge role in this spectrum.

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Henry Ellenson Follows MU Closely And Is A Big Wojo Fan!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:55:18 PM »
Yeah baby--Nick has taken the lead from Duane and could soon be the Mayor of MU!

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:09:44 PM »
Com'on down Henry Ellenson. Be a "Wojo Warrior"!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:25:31 PM »
Bump....Very good news and very good to hear..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:59:53 PM »
Definitely sounds positive. Hoping that Wojo can out-duel his mentor for this one!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 03:01:00 AM »
Oooohhhh!!!

The Henry and Nick show at MU!

Premiering in the Fall of 2015!
SS Marquette

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:56:45 AM »
Hope we see them together this winter at BMO Harris Bradley buying nachos at halftime.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 09:31:09 AM »
It's really nice to hear that the current and future players are such active evangelists for Marquette!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:33:38 AM by Skatastrophy »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 07:04:33 PM »
Five-star 2015 forward Henry Ellenson working to become a more versatile player
Jul 10, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/10/five-star-2015-forward-henry-ellenson-working-to-become-a-more-versatile-player/

One of the best individual matchups of the first day of action at the LeBron James Skills Academy was the one consisting of five-star 2015 prospects Henry Ellenson and Ivan Rabb. While both performed very well in the first half of the contest, the fact of the matter is that neither was on the court at the same time. That changed in the second half, as they were faced with the challenge of defending each other.

With the resistance having increased, both had to work harder for their offensive opportunities. But that’s what the point of camps such as these should be, with the saying of “iron sharpens iron” being the one that applies. For Ellenson, the opportunity to compete with and against his peers is something he can use to his benefit as he works to improve his skill set.

“I’m just trying to take in everything that these coaches are teaching us,” Ellenson told NBCSports.com. “I worked with the bigs yesterday and tried to take some lessons from that, and I worked with the wings today. Just trying to soak it all in.”

The 6-foot-10 forward has been the object of attention for many high-major programs, and he’s part of a family that doesn’t lack for athleticism. Henry’s the third of four children, with two (Wally, who recently transferred to Marquette, and Ellwood) having already landed college scholarships. The tallest of the bunch, Henry’s next in line due to his wide array of skills.

While there’s been the need to go into the post to battle with some of the bigger prospects at the LeBron camp, Henry’s also shown off the ability to step out onto the perimeter and get things done offensively. And on the defensive end he’s performed well, both in the paint and defending in the pick and roll games that tend to dominate such camps. The goal for Ellenson is to be able to help a college program in a variety of ways, as opposed to being pigeonholed into a particular position.

“Being a ‘mismatch’ guy who can take a big man out on the wing and go by him, or take a smaller guy into the post. A guy who just really picks his spots on offense,” Ellenson said.

As a junior at Rice Lake (Wisconsin) High School, Ellenson posted averages of 27.5 points and 13.1 rebounds per game and was a unanimous first team Division 2 all-state selection as a result. And with that ability on full display, programs such as Duke, Marquette, UCLA and Michigan State were among those mentioned by Ellenson as being the most active in his recruitment at present time.

“I’ve taken visits to Marquette, Northwestern, Duke, Michigan State, UCLA, Iowa State and Michigan are some of the other schools that have contacted me,” noted Ellenson.

Of course, with the presence of Marquette the question of how much his older brother’s decision to join Steve Wojciechowski’s program will impact Henry’s decision comes up. And while it is something Henry has considered, according to him that won’t be the biggest factor when he decides on which school to attend.

“It’s a bonus, but overall I’m going to make the decision that’s best for me,” Ellenson said. “[Wally's transferring to Marquette] is just another positive for that school.”

Among the factors Ellenson mentioned when asked what he’s looking for in a school were his relationship with the coaching staff, the style of play and the program’s ability to develop its players into pro prospects.

Taking the style of play into consideration, the goal of avoiding being placed into one particular “box” is something that’s important to Ellenson. But it’s clear that he also understands the need to work hard enough at his skill set to make sure the positional options remain available. Because without the skill needed to handle multiple responsibilities on the court, it becomes tougher for the coach to place the player in a position where versatility is required.

“I’m looking to improve everything,” said Ellenson. “A lot of ball-handling, because I do want to be able to play all over the court and ball-handling is a huge part of that. Also, I’m working on developing strength and quickness.”

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 07:54:31 PM »
Kyle Singler anyone?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 08:20:45 PM »
Kyle Singler anyone?

Yeah but with more of a Plumlee rebounding presence, I'd say.
SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »
Five-star 2015 forward Henry Ellenson working to become a more versatile player
Among the factors Ellenson mentioned when asked what he’s looking for in a school were his relationship with the coaching staff, the style of play and the program’s ability to develop its players into pro prospects.[/b]
“I’m looking to improve everything,” said Ellenson. “A lot of ball-handling, because I do want to be able to play all over the court and ball-handling is a huge part of that. Also, I’m working on developing strength and quickness.”

If those are his top factors, I would choose Duke. We could do all those things for him but Wojo has yet to prove himself.
TAMU

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:20:45 PM »
If those are his top factors, I would choose Duke. We could do all those things for him but Wojo has yet to prove himself.

Then again it is a pretty generic description of what he wants ... what elite player would disagree with this?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 09:29:28 PM »
It's funny how much things can change within a year.  A year ago, with Buzz as coach, I would've said that the odds of us landing Henry were under 5%.  He didn't seem like a Buzz switchable, and the running gag about never recruiting solid big men certainly carried some weight.  I would've guessed we would have had a better shot (not much higher, but higher nevertheless) at Diamond Stone who appeared to fit within Buzz's program much more.

Now, today, we have a very realistic and reasonable chance at landing Henry with Wojo, and, to a lesser, but still realistic, extent, Diamond.  Very cool.

Bottom line, whether it's a year, a summer, or a half in a game, things can chance very quickly.  Things looked up a year ago.  Things are looking even higher today.  Very proud and excited to be an MU grad and basketball fan.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 10:29:27 PM »
I agree.  I'm just used to getting my hopes up only to have them dashed.  I feel like a Cavs fan right now...full of promise and hope waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under me at the same time.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 08:19:02 AM »
“I’ve taken visits to Marquette, Northwestern, Duke, Michigan State, UCLA, Iowa State and Michigan are some of the other schools that have contacted me,” noted Ellenson.

Interesting that neither UW or Minnesota are mentioned there at all.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 08:27:42 AM »
This statement is confusing. Which schools did he visit and which schools have contacted him?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/266731081.html

Wojo in Las Vegas watching Henry Ellenson
By Michael Hunt of the Journal Sentinel   
July 11, 2014 6:00 a.m.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/266731081.html

College basketball coaches are in the midst of the all-important July evaluation period, during which staffs may travel to watch prospects at various camps around the country.

Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski is in Las Vegas to keep an eye on five-star power forward Henry Ellenson, who will be a senior this year at Rice Lake High. Here is a report from nbcsports.com on Ellenson's progress in the LeBron James Skills Academy in Vegas.

The Golden Eagles recently tapped into the Ellenson family by getting brother Wally as a transfer from Minnesota. Whether it works out as a package deal remains to be seen because all of the major college basketball powers are in on Ellenson.

Speaking of package deals, center Diamond Stone of Whitefish Bay Domincan, one of the top recruits in the country, recently told the same website that his package deal with point guard Malik Newman is not set in stone.

UW coach Bo Ryan is out in Philly watching Stone.

Wojo has been successful with in-state players during his first four months on the job. Swingman Sandy Cohen of Seymour stayed after Buzz Williams left. Guard Nick Noskowiak is on board for 2015, as is center Matt Heldt of Neenah.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »
Interesting that neither UW or Minnesota are mentioned there at all.

I think Wally was mostly what gave Minnesota a chance.  Last fall was the last time that they were really mentioned.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »
Would love to see Henry play for Marquette. He can lead them to a NCAA championship.  When will he commit?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »
Would love to see Henry play for Marquette. He can lead them to a NCAA championship.  When will he commit?

Let's not set the expectations too low
TAMU

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »
Haha.  Why not?

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »
Ellenson could be MU's future and we are the frontrunners to get him! When was the last time MU got a top 5 recruit? Has that ever happened?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 11:56:23 PM »
Ellenson could be MU's future and we are the frontrunners to get him! When was the last time MU got a top 5 recruit? Has that ever happened?

I believe Doc Rivers was top 5. As was Bernard Toone.
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »

The Destroyer, The Dream, McNeill, Chones, Luke, Tatum, Toone. Not sure about Doc but he was very highly regarded.

Death on call