[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Good John Dawson Interview...  (Read 33877 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Good John Dawson Interview...
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »
This gives me an idea

I am Irish.   And stunningly good looking.   With a hot significant other.   And I have been accused by people in positions of power of devious plotting.   Not without merit.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2014, 06:32:11 PM »
Sign me up for the pro Dawson club.

Politics or high major D1 coaching may be a solid backup career for this kid.

Amen.

And it's not that Derrick makes him look better: he's heady, cool, and can hit the shot or drive. He just needs more experience and game time to put it all together.

RE: Buzz and JJJ, Buzz rolled the dice hoping to win with what he thought were the best candidates for that to happen.
I feel that he didn't play JJJ enough because Buzz wasn't looking forward (to 2014-15), rather he was looking out the door, coveting over people's positions.
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2014, 06:40:28 PM »
Amen.

And it's not that Derrick makes him look better: he's heady, cool, and can hit the shot or drive. He just needs more experience and game time to put it all together.

RE: Buzz and JJJ, Buzz rolled the dice hoping to win with what he thought were the best candidates for that to happen.
I feel that he didn't play JJJ enough because Buzz wasn't looking forward (to 2014-15), rather he was looking out the door, coveting over people's positions.
If Buzz wasn't looking forward, he wouldn't have red-shirted DWilson and wouldn't have tried to convince McKay and STjr to do the same.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2014, 06:53:57 PM »
My view, right or wrong, is that at some point in the season Buzz decided Marquette wasn't part of his long-range plans. I don't know if it was Jan. 1 or not. I think that attitude made him coach differently, although some say he didn't change at all.

To those who say he didn't, well, that's an even bigger indictment of Buzz because a good coach knows how to make changes when things aren't working. I firmly believe in change for the sake of change if the thing is broken, and many Hall of Fame coaches in all sports do, too.

I'm not a Buzz-hater, I'm a realist. He had a very good first five seasons and a very poor sixth. He didn't just become stupid and forget how to coach; he let himself be influenced by outside forces and/or inner demons and it affected him. He wasn't the first and he won't be the last.

As for Ners claiming we had enough talent to "win big," how does he know? It's an easy thing to claim because it can't be disproven. We know the "talent" Buzz kept playing wasn't good enough for us to even win little. But would we have won "big" with a bunch of freshmen on the floor? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know how Ners (and others who make grandiose claims) can be so certain of stuff all the time.

I would have liked to have seen JJJ, Dawson, Taylor and Burton play more simply because what Buzz was doing wasn't working. While there's no guarantee we would have been any better, it's hard to imagine us being much worse. And even if we were, who cares if we were 14-18 instead of 17-15? Same freakin' difference to me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
Ners,

This is what it seems to me you are saying:

1.We both thought Buzz Williams was a good man and a good coach. Therefore we liked him and defended him him against his detractors.

2.Last year YOU discovered that he was neither. He changed, is now a horrible person and knows nothing about coaching basketball.

3. Since we both supported him when we thought he was a good man and a good coach, we must now trash him because you have decided he is neither.

Sorry, but I don't agree with #2 so I won't go along with #3.

My position is clear. I think Buzz did a bad job as a GM last year. The team he went to war with wasn't very good. Not having Vander, Jameel and Duane was part of the reason. Steve Taylor Jr's step backwards was another. But it's still ultimately on Buzz. As for coaching, I thought he coached like he always did, but less talent equaled less wins.

You are free to disagree with my assessment. Come up with all kinds of reasons why we didn't win more often - even go so far as to accuse Buzz of throwing games. I remain unconvinced of your position.

Finally, people are not stocks to be traded. The key to business partnerships, friendships, marriages, etc., isn't to buy low, sell high. It's sticking with people through the good times and bad. Buzz can be fairly criticized for bailing when things got rocky. So can you.

I agree with what I bolded....and follow that credo in my personal and business life.  However, being a coach is a high profile position and in a way, as a public figure...every coach deals with fans perceptions of their performance.  Buzz isn't a friend of mine, a business partner, certainly not domestic partner - so I don't view him in the context you used.

If Buzz reveled in all the glory and adulation he was given by 90% of the fanbase the first 5 years, and rewarded handsomely by the university for his results...then he shouldn't be so hyper sensitive to the criticism of last season and turn and bail after 1 bad season.  That doesn't demonstrate good character - at first sign of adversity you bail?  So yes, I bailed on Buzz in the sense that I didn't support him the same way I did his first 5 years...as I saw a different guy...and a different coach...call it an off year...nonetheless I wasn't screaming for his head or suggesting he be fired, move on, etc...but just that he had a really bad year.

Turns out Buzz decided to leave on his own or..depending on what you believe...was slightly encouraged to do so..as admin that worked near him on a daily basis probably saw what he had become - highly egotistical and entitled.  Buzz ultimately in some ways proved me right....that he wasn't of the character I felt he was in his early years at MU...and was think skinned as I suspected he was...

Obviously...a lot of last year's frustration stems from the total and complete unwillingness to drastically alter his backcourt...PG particularly.  It was clear PG was the achilles heal of the team...and Buzz tried every single other change/tinker/tweak imagineable...but absolutely refused to turn PG over to Dawson to at least just see how things would go for 3-5 games.  A guy needs real minutes to show what he can do...a few 2 to 3 minute stints aren't reflective of a guys ability.  Just like Mayo looked like a totally different player the last 10 games when given LONG stretches of playing time...the same would have held true for Dawson...Burton...and JJJ - all 3 of those guys are more talented than the guys in front of them.  Buzz...for whatever reason was hell bent on not changing PG and its beyond me why...when he conceded he was playing 4 on 5!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »
My view, right or wrong, is that at some point in the season Buzz decided Marquette wasn't part of his long-range plans. I don't know if it was Jan. 1 or not. I think that attitude made him coach differently, although some say he didn't change at all.

To those who say he didn't, well, that's an even bigger indictment of Buzz because a good coach knows how to make changes when things aren't working. I firmly believe in change for the sake of change if the thing is broken, and many Hall of Fame coaches in all sports do, too.

I'm not a Buzz-hater, I'm a realist. He had a very good first five seasons and a very poor sixth. He didn't just become stupid and forget how to coach; he let himself be influenced by outside forces and/or inner demons and it affected him. He wasn't the first and he won't be the last.

As for Ners claiming we had enough talent to "win big," how does he know? It's an easy thing to claim because it can't be disproven. We know the "talent" Buzz kept playing wasn't good enough for us to even win little. But would we have won "big" with a bunch of freshmen on the floor? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know how Ners (and others who make grandiose claims) can be so certain of stuff all the time.

I would have liked to have seen JJJ, Dawson, Taylor and Burton play more simply because what Buzz was doing wasn't working. While there's no guarantee we would have been any better, it's hard to imagine us being much worse. And even if we were, who cares if we were 14-18 instead of 17-15? Same freakin' difference to me.

Amen to bolded.  My biggest beef was that it was clear what Buzz was rolling out..wasn't going to allow us to win at a good rate...beat anybody of consequence.  And as you point out..if it aint working..you try something else.  The only thing he basically refused to try all year...was chaning PG and SG positions...but instead played them MORE minutes than any two players..and they were the least effective.

As for winning big - I tend to think that the Big East coaches know the roster composition of the 9 other teams in the conference...at Big East Media day...when they vote....and for MU to be picked 1st by the coaches...certainly guys with a pretty high degree of basketball knowledge (I mean they are D-1 coaches in a strong conference) looked at the MU roster and felt it should win fairly big...

As much as Jamil and Davante both got dogged by the guys who took up for Derrick and Jake - both those guys made NBA Summer League rosters...okay..not a huge accomplishment...but really no different than Vander or Wes...Davante was MVP at Portsmouth..Jamil 1st Team at Portsmouth...Mayo..we saw what he could do when Buzz finally gave him a fair shot...real minutes..and being allowed to play through mistakes.  Saw Burton put up 23 in his last game of the year in his 2nd highest minute game 24 minutes...Dawson..enough has been said...got 1 game of 30 minutes all year..played well.  JJJ?  Buzz just buried him on the bench...the guy he said was the toughest and most impressive guy at Boot Camp.

It's for those reasons above that I felt the team could have won, and won big...if it were coached well.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2014, 08:33:59 PM »
LOL - Thank you so much Sultan..you just proved a point of mine...you used to CRITICIZE me for "having outbursts" toward anyone who was critical of Buzz....but then this last season...YOU of all people along with Tower, Guns, TAMU...got ALL OVER ME FOR CRITICIZING BUZZ!! 

So...when I defend Buzz and didn't criticize him...back in the day...you had an issue...now this past season when I was critical of Buzz...you have an issue. 

Actually my position on Buzz hasn't changed.  I think he is a good coach who needs some fences around him to make sure he doesn't go off the reservation. 

I didn't think he was a great coach (like you did) when he started, and never thought he was irreplaceable. 

I didn't think he was a bad coach last year.  (I think he made too many recruiting mistakes that bit him.)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
Amen to bolded.  My biggest beef was that it was clear what Buzz was rolling out..wasn't going to allow us to win at a good rate...beat anybody of consequence.  And as you point out..if it aint working..you try something else.  The only thing he basically refused to try all year...was chaning PG and SG positions...but instead played them MORE minutes than any two players..and they were the least effective.

As for winning big - I tend to think that the Big East coaches know the roster composition of the 9 other teams in the conference...at Big East Media day...when they vote....and for MU to be picked 1st by the coaches...certainly guys with a pretty high degree of basketball knowledge (I mean they are D-1 coaches in a strong conference) looked at the MU roster and felt it should win fairly big...

As much as Jamil and Davante both got dogged by the guys who took up for Derrick and Jake - both those guys made NBA Summer League rosters...okay..not a huge accomplishment...but really no different than Vander or Wes...Davante was MVP at Portsmouth..Jamil 1st Team at Portsmouth...Mayo..we saw what he could do when Buzz finally gave him a fair shot...real minutes..and being allowed to play through mistakes.  Saw Burton put up 23 in his last game of the year in his 2nd highest minute game 24 minutes...Dawson..enough has been said...got 1 game of 30 minutes all year..played well.  JJJ?  Buzz just buried him on the bench...the guy he said was the toughest and most impressive guy at Boot Camp.

It's for those reasons above that I felt the team could have won, and won big...if it were coached well.

I give absolutely zero credence to the coaches' vote. Didn't we have McKee and Duane then? And even if we didn't, those things end up being so often bad. I'm curious as to where AAC coaches had UConn before the season.

I'm not going to go into a rebuttal of our talent vs. our lack thereof. You saw more talent on the MU roster last year than I did. Neither one of us can be proven right or wrong.

I disagree that Buzz tanked the season. I simply think he was distracted or disturbed or stubborn or something else. I can't know exactly because I'm not in his head, thank goodness.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2014, 09:55:57 PM »
I give absolutely zero credence to the coaches' vote. Didn't we have McKee and Duane then? And even if we didn't, those things end up being so often bad. I'm curious as to where AAC coaches had UConn before the season.

I'm not going to go into a rebuttal of our talent vs. our lack thereof. You saw more talent on the MU roster last year than I did. Neither one of us can be proven right or wrong.

I disagree that Buzz tanked the season. I simply think he was distracted or disturbed or stubborn or something else. I can't know exactly because I'm not in his head, thank goodness.

In my view...if the team improves quite a bit over last year....while having lost its 2 leading scorers...and 3 post presence players...it will point toward:  1) There was a lot of talent on the roster last year...and 2) It just needed a Point Guard that could play the position at the high major level.  Highly doubt Derrick will see 30 minutes a game again...and that alone will help the team win more games.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »
In my view...if the team improves quite a bit over last year....while having lost its 2 leading scorers...and 3 post presence players...it will point toward:  1) There was a lot of talent on the roster last year...and 2) It just needed a Point Guard that could play the position at the high major level.  Highly doubt Derrick will see 30 minutes a game again...and that alone will help the team win more games.

It also could point toward players maturing, getting stronger, getting more confident, etc. Freshmen become sophomores and usually get better, regardless of who's coaching them.

I agree Wojo and staff could be a factor but it would be a leap to say they were the factor if JJJ, Dawson, Burton, Duane progress as sophs often do.

Either way, we won't actually know. We'll just be able to opine.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2014, 10:59:53 PM »
It also could point toward players maturing, getting stronger, getting more confident, etc. Freshmen become sophomores and usually get better, regardless of who's coaching them.

I agree Wojo and staff could be a factor but it would be a leap to say they were the factor if JJJ, Dawson, Burton, Duane progress as sophs often do.

Look, if we can't point fingers and assign blame, what reason do we even have for being here?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2014, 11:05:17 PM »

Did Juan, Derrick and Todd make major leaps between freshman and sophomore year?  Vander?  It is hardly a given guys improve that much between freshman and sophomore year.  Quite frankly virtually NONE of Buzz's high school recruits showed much of anything as freshman or sophomores.  Mayo had 1 year of prep ball...Junior was a Top 50 recruit...didn't do jack as a sophomore...Jamail Jones?  Nope.  Erick Williams?  Nope.  

Dawson, Deonte and JJJ all had a better ability to put the ball in the hoop than the guys who played in front of them last season.  Period.  The other guys were slightly better defenders...though not much....and in my view their defensive "prowess" in no way offset nor made up for their severe limitations offensively.  Hell even the best offensive players only are successful 50% of the time...they fail 1 out of every 2 times...so is defensive value as important as offensive ability?  Consider a guy who simply cannot put the ball in the basket from outside of 2', and the other from anywhere inside of 20'0" - well that is with you 100% of the time on the offensive end of the court...and it drastically affects the other guys on the floor with you..
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:06:55 PM by Ners »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2014, 11:32:04 PM »

to make sure he doesn't go off the reservation. 

Please, there is no reason to make this ethnic

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2014, 12:06:40 AM »

Amen brother82
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2014, 12:59:54 AM »
Did Juan, Derrick and Todd make major leaps between freshman and sophomore year?  Vander?  It is hardly a given guys improve that much between freshman and sophomore year.    

As Al used to say, "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores".

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2014, 08:20:55 AM »
As Al used to say, "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores".

I'm aware of that quote....but still waiting for someone to point out which MU player under Buzz improved so much between their freshman and sophomore year?  In my view...the biggest leap should happen from sophomore to junior year.

So all of a sudden if Burton, JJJ and Dawson all take big steps up - its simply because they are now sophomores?  That would make 3 guys in one year...when in the prior 5 of Buzz's tenure - NOT ONE PLAYER showed any marked improvement from freshman to sophomore year.  I'd say that would be quite shocking...and in truth....more evidence that the guys had the necessary talent as freshman...But Buzz was hell bent on being stubborn, knew he was on his way out, and ultimately didn't give a crap and was his F You to admin for them trying to reign in his overblown ego.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
So all of a sudden if Burton, JJJ and Dawson all take big steps up - its simply because they are now sophomores?  That would make 3 guys in one year...when in the prior 5 of Buzz's tenure - NOT ONE PLAYER showed any marked improvement from freshman to sophomore year. 

That is simply not true.  Gardner, Blue, Anderson, Cadougan (who was hurt) were all better as sophomores than they were as freshman.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »

That is simply not true.  Gardner, Blue, Anderson, Cadougan (who was hurt) were all better as sophomores than they were as freshman.

Uh...okay...your definition of "better" sure is pretty lenient.  Only thing that changed as far as their output was the fact they got a little more playing time than they did as freshman.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2014, 09:03:34 AM »
Yeah....they got more playing time, and made more contributions to the success of the team, because they were better. 

I mean, what exactly are you expecting?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2014, 09:23:52 AM »
I didn't really want to get involved in this, but I've been mentioned several times so I'll just offer this:

- I don't see coaches or players in black or white. This includes players and coaches that I may "like" or "dislike".
- I'm interested in MU hoops, but I'm not as emotionally invested as some fans, and I try not to have emotional outbursts on a keyboard. 
- I'm not compelled to "buy early" or "sell early" on players or coaches. It doesn't add anything for me. I just like to watch and be entertained and sometimes discuss MU hoops. 
- Most often, I have a "wait and see" approach because I've been proven wrong about a lot of things in life. I'm not very smart, and I know it.

Now, I make these statements because I don't think they match how some other fans may intake Marquette basketball, and that's okay. We can all still be friends and not try to kill each other with words.

That's it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »
Yeah....they got more playing time, and made more contributions to the success of the team, because they were better. 

I mean, what exactly are you expecting?

LOL - I'm expecting a little more of a jump in production, than what was achieved, given the increased minutes.

Actually Blue, Gardner, and Juan's O-Rating regressed as sophomores.  Cadougan only played in 12 games as a freshman...due to his achilles...the improvement was really relevant...and albeit limited..

As freshman:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=davante-gardner&davante-gardner=2010-2011&i=1&juan-anderson=2011-2012&junior-cadougan=2009-2010&p1=vander-blue&p2=juan-anderson&p3=junior-cadougan&vander-blue=2010-2011

As sophomores:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=davante-gardner&davante-gardner=2011-2012&i=1&juan-anderson=2012-2013&junior-cadougan=2010-2011&p1=vander-blue&p2=juan-anderson&p3=junior-cadougan&vander-blue=2011-2012

Once again you fail to make a good point...but nice try.  Knew you'd take the bait..and try to discredit my original point...that there hasn't been a freshman under Buzz who showed any significant improvement between sophomore and junior year...during his entire 6 year tenure.
And let's face it...none of the guys you mention...other than Gardner put up any type of world beater kind of numbers as freshman..so not asking a whole lot to improve on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2014, 09:30:33 AM »
I didn't really want to get involved in this, but I've been mentioned several times so I'll just offer this:

- I don't see coaches or players in black or white. This includes players and coaches that I may "like" or "dislike".
- I'm interested in MU hoops, but I'm not as emotionally invested as some fans, and I try not to have emotional outbursts on a keyboard. 
- I'm not compelled to "buy early" or "sell early" on players or coaches. It doesn't add anything for me. I just like to watch and be entertained and sometimes discuss MU hoops. 
- Most often, I have a "wait and see" approach because I've been proven wrong about a lot of things in life. I'm not very smart, and I know it.

Now, I make these statements because I don't think they match how some other fans may intake Marquette basketball, and that's okay. We can all still be friends and not try to kill each other with words.

Oh man, after those comments, you're dead to me!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »
I'm aware of that quote....but still waiting for someone to point out which MU player under Buzz improved so much between their freshman and sophomore year?  In my view...the biggest leap should happen from sophomore to junior year.

So all of a sudden if Burton, JJJ and Dawson all take big steps up - its simply because they are now sophomores?  That would make 3 guys in one year...when in the prior 5 of Buzz's tenure - NOT ONE PLAYER showed any marked improvement from freshman to sophomore year.  I'd say that would be quite shocking...and in truth....more evidence that the guys had the necessary talent as freshman...But Buzz was hell bent on being stubborn, knew he was on his way out, and ultimately didn't give a crap and was his F You to admin for them trying to reign in his overblown ego.

I agree with your thesis.

And yet we still won't know if coaching will have been the main reason JJJ et al get better as sophomores.

What if Mayo for some reason gets worse? Will it be the coach's fault?

It will all still be mere conjecture on our part.

Yes, that's why we're here ... though some do like to "conject" more than others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2014, 09:39:12 AM »
Once again you fail to make a good point...but nice try.  Knew you'd take the bait..and try to discredit my original point...that there hasn't been a freshman under Buzz who showed any significant improvement between sophomore and junior year...during his entire 6 year tenure.

Well, when you say inaccurate things, I am going to challenge them.

All four players I mentioned improved.

But again, what were you expecting?  Really, I am trying to find an instance where an MU freshman made a huge jump as a sophomore.  Players like the Big 3, Novak, Deiner, etc. all played more as freshmen...but none showed enormous improvement as sophomores.  All were marginally better.  Just like the ones I mentioned.

I think you are creating (yet another) false narrative to discredit your former idol.  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2014, 09:47:57 AM »

Well, when you say inaccurate things, I am going to challenge them.

All four players I mentioned improved.

But again, what were you expecting?  Really, I am trying to find an instance where an MU freshman made a huge jump as a sophomore.  Players like the Big 3, Novak, Deiner, etc. all played more as freshmen...but none showed enormous improvement as sophomores.  All were marginally better.  Just like the ones I mentioned.

I think you are creating (yet another) false narrative to discredit your former idol.  

Please cite the improvement those guys showed...what categories?  Here's the deal....I'll be happy to go on record and say Dawson, JJJ and Burton will show more than minuscule improvement this upcoming season over their freshman years.  Hopefully Wojo nails Derrick to the bench for 35 minutes a game and gives those 35 minutes to guys who are the future of the program at the guard position - Duane, Dawson, JJJ.

And no...this isn't creating another false narrative to discredit my former idol...never had to create any false narratives to prove out my contention all last season...the proof was in the production and performance.  Ironically, you on the other hand spent all last season creating false narratives to try to support the coaching performance and decisions of Buzz.

Ironically you conveniently took a break from this site for Lent - right as the season was ending and the team and Buzz flounder to a big thud of a finish..and then Buzz's departure.  Certainly didn't want to stick around here and try to continue to defend your ludicrous viewpoints on last season.

I will say your consistently wrong takes and intuitions on MU basketball are quite entertaining.

feedback