[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Henry the 8th?  (Read 28090 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Henry the 8th?
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »
Yes. We are simply gnashing our teeth over it.

Marquette has 7 kids from Wisconsin on their roster, zero held a UW offer.
Wisconsin has 4 kids from Wisconsin (including Pritzl), three held Marquette offers.

Good luck with Henry. I'm still holding out hope, but would rather see him in Milwaukee than at another Big Ten school.

It's going to be challenging to use historical numbers to predict future recruiting battles. Wojo seems to be going after different players than Buzzard was.

Agreed on keeping elite WI talent in-state. I want to watch these kids flourish (and the state of BBall in WI with it)!

BKBucky

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »
It's going to be challenging to use historical numbers to predict future recruiting battles. Wojo seems to be going after different players than Buzzard was.

Agreed on keeping elite WI talent in-state. I want to watch these kids flourish (and the state of BBall in WI with it)!
Totally agree. It already seems the Wojo is more interested in Bo's type of players than the previous MU regimes. Not sure that's going to help either school, but it will certainly make for some interesting recruiting classes.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »
good work guys.  one more thread that started about MU Basketball, lasted about half a page, and turned into stupid ramblings about whatever tangent could be drawn from the original post.  

I'll be the old man and say that it didn't used to be this bad.  years ago, MUScoop could at least get a page or two out of topic before someone hijacked it.  now it's a dream to see 25% of the posts actually be about the MU.  

Blast me if you want.  say that i shouldn't read if i don't like what i see.  but frankly i come back to see info on MU not about herman's hermits.  This board is becoming crap.  I hope players/coaches/recruits/opponents don't visit this site so they don't think these message board conversations are indicative of what our fanbase consists of.

It's easy to criticize.  Why don't you contribute some on topic posts to show us the way?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 02:38:57 PM »

Awesome reference. Great movie.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »
Yes. We are simply gnashing our teeth over it.

Marquette has 7 kids from Wisconsin on their roster, zero held a UW offer.
Wisconsin has 4 kids from Wisconsin (including Pritzl), three held Marquette offers.

Good luck with Henry. I'm still holding out hope, but would rather see him in Milwaukee than at another Big Ten school.

If MU gets Henry, will Swenson still be in his bunker saying MU has never landed a national recruit that considered Duke or some other major program.  LOL.  Make sure you guys get your obligatory attacks in on the parents of the player as that is par for the course the last 10 years.

Gnashing of teeth might be about right, so many posts again about non-rival Marquette on Vadger boards.  Always interesting, no other non-rival ever has so much dedication and love.    

At any rate, you came here nicely and hope you stay. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 02:47:28 PM »
Totally agree. It already seems the Wojo is more interested in Bo's type of players than the previous MU regimes. Not sure that's going to help either school, but it will certainly make for some interesting recruiting classes.

The inverse is true as well.  Bo seemed to be allergic to Milwaukee for the most part and many Madison kids seemed to be allergic to Bo, opting to come to Marquette or go out of state over the years.  Do you have any guesses why? 

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »
Here's a good article that shows where players come from and where they play in college. Minnesota is a surprise in the latter category.

http://deadspin.com/infographics-where-do-high-school-basketball-stars-com-5984694
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

BKBucky

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »
If MU gets Henry, will Swenson still be in his bunker saying MU has never landed a national recruit that considered Duke or some other major program.  LOL.  Make sure you guys get your obligatory attacks in on the parents of the player as that is par for the course the last 10 years.

Gnashing of teeth might be about right, so many posts again about non-rival Marquette on Vadger boards.  Always interesting, no other non-rival ever has so much dedication and love.    

At any rate, you came here nicely and hope you stay. 
Usually, when quoting a post, you actually address what was written. That was like you blacked out and spouted out a bunch of Badger-related drivel. Stick to the talking points. It is much easier than engaging in discussion. Keep up the good work.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 03:00:02 PM »
Usually, when quoting a post, you actually address what was written. That was like you blacked out and spouted out a bunch of Badger-related drivel. Stick to the talking points. It is much easier than engaging in discussion. Keep up the good work.

I wanted to make sure you knew I was talking to you.  So to make it easier to engage in the discussion, here was the quote from swenson \ redforeman: "Koenig was recruited at an elite level and the others were not. Koenig had offers from UNC, Duke, KU".   Sounds like that makes Henry an elite level recruit.

BKBucky

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »
The inverse is true as well.  Bo seemed to be allergic to Milwaukee for the most part and many Madison kids seemed to be allergic to Bo, opting to come to Marquette or go out of state over the years.  Do you have any guesses why? 
Not sure about the Milwaukee kids. Are there any you're thinking of, in particular? I don't feel like UW has "missed" on anyone looking back over the years. Tokoto wasn't really a Milwaukee kid. Gasser, Hughes, Landry are all from the Milwaukee area.

It's pretty obvious in hindsight that Blue and Maymon wouldn't have clicked with Bo. Nankivil and Flowers both had very nice careers at UW. Anyone else you're thinking of, in particular?

BKBucky

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 03:04:49 PM »
I wanted to make sure you knew I was talking to you.  So to make it easier to engage in the discussion, here was the quote from swenson \ redforeman: "Koenig was recruited at an elite level and the others were not. Koenig had offers from UNC, Duke, KU".   Sounds like that makes Henry an elite level recruit.
Not exactly sure why you were talking to me about something swenson said here about Bronson Koenig. Haven't seen anyone claiming that Henry isn't an elite recruit though. Also haven't seen him announce that he's going to Marquette just yet.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »
Not sure about the Milwaukee kids. Are there any you're thinking of, in particular? I don't feel like UW has "missed" on anyone looking back over the years. Tokoto wasn't really a Milwaukee kid. Gasser, Hughes, Landry are all from the Milwaukee area.

It's pretty obvious in hindsight that Blue and Maymon wouldn't have clicked with Bo. Nankivil and Flowers both had very nice careers at UW. Anyone else you're thinking of, in particular?

I thought Hughes was a NY City kid who boarded at St. John's Military Academy near West Bend, neither very Milwaukee.  Was Gasser any more Milwaukee than Tokoto?  (I actually don't know, but I thought they were both from outer Milwaukee suburbs.)

Most of us around here like to include Wauwatosa in the Milwaukee area which would give Bo another Milwaukee guy with Harris.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:15:40 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 03:20:13 PM »
Most of us around here like to include Wauwatosa in the Milwaukee area which would give Bo another Milwaukee guy with Harris.

Who was recruited by Soderberg.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »

Wes Matthews.  Vander you mentioned, certainly enough that UW made an offer to him.  I know some of this is prior to Bo, but with Gaines, Maymon, Blue, Matthews, etc not staying in town.  I have heard reasons why, just curious what you think.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 03:26:39 PM »
I thought Hughes was a NY City kid who boarded at St. John's Military Academy near West Bend, neither very Milwaukee.  Was Gasser any more Milwaukee than Tokoto?  (I actually don't know, but I thought they were both from outer Milwaukee suburbs.)

Bo didn't recruit Harris, he inherited him.  You are correct on Hughes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2014, 03:27:01 PM »
Bkbucky, thanks for stopping buy and engaging in rational discussion.   A genuine pleasure.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2014, 03:31:50 PM »
Not exactly sure why you were talking to me about something swenson said here about Bronson Koenig. Haven't seen anyone claiming that Henry isn't an elite recruit though. Also haven't seen him announce that he's going to Marquette just yet.

I'm trying to understand the psyche a bit, I realize much of it is provincial in the thinking along with the bias that goes along with every sports fan, regardless of whom they cheer for.

Glad that we agree he is an elite recruit.  No idea where he will attend school.  Honestly, after reading the latest comments from UW fans that we are mid-major, play in a mid-major conference, are free falling to earth as a program, have a terrible tv deal (that's still my favorite), and an academic rating only in the top 75 (apparently our students can barely read and write), I'm just flabbergasted that Henry is considering us.  Maybe it's all a head fake and just trying to give one of the in state schools some love.   ;)

BKBucky

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
Wes Matthews.  Vander you mentioned, certainly enough that UW made an offer to him.  I know some of this is prior to Bo, but with Gaines, Maymon, Blue, Matthews, etc not staying in town.  I have heard reasons why, just curious what you think.
Gaines was 15 years ago and didn't want to play for Dick Bennett. That's easy.

Bo's offered four Madison kids so far during his time at UW. Two came to Wisconsin. Two went to Marquette. Matthews had well documented issues with his father who played at Wisconsin and didn't necessarily feel any ties to the university. Vander didn't appreciate rumors about his academics getting published and listened to people who told him his best career path was in Milwaukee. It's a really small sample size and both seem to be unique situations.

I don't know if you have something you want to say. This is a Marquette board. I assure you that you are in a safe place to say it.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »
Thanks for stopping by BK....

I think the problem that many of us have with your Badger baord mates is the way they react whenever MU gets a recruit from the state. Doesn't matter if UW wanted him or not.....they rip on the kid and at times even his parents. We have seen it over and over again...most recently with Noskowiak and Heldt but before that with Duane Wilson, Wes, Vander etc etc.

When Gasser decided to go to UW I don't recall the same reaction on any of our boards(even though MU didn't offer him)...ditto for Keaton or Decker.

Illinois offered Nick when Buzz left......after he recommitted to MU Swenson couldn't stop himself from making his way over to the Illini board to tell them they didn't miss anything....."He wasn't good enough for the Big 10...if he was Bo would have offered" yada yada yada..as if Bo never gets it wrong........Everybody gets it wrong from time to time......JP and Evan Anderson are just 2 examples.

You seem like a reasonable guy....glad to have you contributing here.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 03:47:58 PM »
BkBucky, most here respect Bo as a coach and the UW as a program.   A fair percentage of the Badger hatred comes as reflex against some of the more prolific UW message board posters who feel the necessity to invent lies out of the air to trash MU.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »
BkBucky, most here respect Bo as a coach and the UW as a program.   A fair percentage of the Badger hatred comes as reflex against some of the more prolific UW message board posters who feel the necessity to invent lies out of the air   their ass to trash MU.  

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
Gaines was 15 years ago and didn't want to play for Dick Bennett. That's easy.

Bo's offered four Madison kids so far during his time at UW. Two came to Wisconsin. Two went to Marquette. Matthews had well documented issues with his father who played at Wisconsin and didn't necessarily feel any ties to the university. Vander didn't appreciate rumors about his academics getting published and listened to people who told him his best career path was in Milwaukee. It's a really small sample size and both seem to be unique situations.

I don't know if you have something you want to say. This is a Marquette board. I assure you that you are in a safe place to say it.

Perhaps another day.

Again, thanks for stopping by.  I've been accused here often of being a Bo lover, which isn't true at all, but I do respect his accomplishments as a coach.  When Badger fans were off the rails in January and calling for his head, some of us knew it was a blip.  Too good of talent and coach not to bounce back, which you guys did.  And again, I'm thrilled that little, tiny, mid major us can be considered in the running for an elite recruit. 

Happy 4th

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »
Thanks for stopping by BK....

I think the problem that many of us have with your Badger baord mates is the way they the way a select few of them react whenever MU gets a recruit from the state. Doesn't matter if UW wanted him or not.....they rip on the kid and at times even his parents. We have seen it over and over again...most recently with Noskowiak and Heldt but before that with Duane Wilson, Wes, Vander etc etc.

When Gasser decided to go to UW I don't recall the same reaction on any of our boards(even though MU didn't offer him)...ditto for Keaton or Decker.

Illinois offered Nick when Buzz left......after he recommitted to MU Swenson couldn't stop himself from making his way over to the Illini board to tell them they didn't miss anything....."He wasn't good enough for the Big 10...if he was Bo would have offered" yada yada yada..as if Bo never gets it wrong........Everybody gets it wrong from time to time......JP and Evan Anderson are just 2 examples.

You seem like a reasonable guy....glad to have you contributing here.

I think it's worth noting that the Badger fanbase is quite large, and there are a few in the vocal minority that REAAAAAALLLLLLYYYY enjoy trashing MU.

Now, I've run into plenty of "homer" Badger fans as well, so there is no shortage of those guys around, but if we are talking specifically about people that love trash MU players/families/etc., I think that's a vocal minority.

(I can't believe I'm sort of defending the Badgers).

BKBucky

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2014, 04:05:52 PM »
Perhaps another day.

Again, thanks for stopping by.  I've been accused here often of being a Bo lover, which isn't true at all, but I do respect his accomplishments as a coach.  When Badger fans were off the rails in January and calling for his head, some of us knew it was a blip.  Too good of talent and coach not to bounce back, which you guys did.  And again, I'm thrilled that little, tiny, mid major us can be considered in the running for an elite recruit. 

Happy 4th
You have a selective memory and an agenda, it would seem. Neither makes for very compelling conversation.

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
This must drive UW-Mad fans nuts, as they believe every WI kid worth anything should be at UW-Mad.  And, obviously, if the WI kids don't go to UW-Mad, then Bo knew instinctively they were (insert characteristic here) and unworthy of greater consideration.  This is an impressive number, maybe even the highest number in MU history.  Kudos to WI HS basketball and MU!

None of those 7 players were ever offered by UW, I think the Badgers are doing just fine with who they have. High school basketball in Wisconsin is improving to the point where both programs can really benefit.

Definitely a talented group of players committed to MU.