[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Non-Conf Sched: 12/6 UW, 12/16 ASU, 12/22 UND, 12/28 Morgan St  (Read 24459 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American

Wisconsin (Moscow, USSR)

;D

Nicely done Chapman!

bradley center bat

• All American
I would expect 13, with one of them being a "preliminary" Orlando Classic game at home, unless the Old Spice change messes anything up.. but that should be workable.

So you have 27 games + 1 exempt tourney of 4 for a total of 31. 18 con, 13 nonconf.

It's looking like 12 games for MU, as Kansas and Michigan State got the 4th game as a home game for the Old Spice Classic.

Jay Bee

• All American
It's looking like 12 games for MU, as Kansas and Michigan State got the 4th game as a home game for the Old Spice Classic.

Huh? I think you're confused.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mubb34

• Team Captain
I graduated from Wisconsin Lutheran for my undergrad. Their girls team might compete better than their guys....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Rhode Island scares me.

Me too. Not a team a people should sleep on.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bradley center bat

• All American
Huh? I think you're confused.
How so?

MU will be playing 12, not 13 non conference games. 3 in Orlando.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 02:14:14 PM by bradley center bat »

Jay Bee

• All American
How so?

MU will be playing 12, not 13 non conference games. 3 in Orlando.

What does, "as Kansas and Michigan State got the 4th game as a home game for the Old Spice Classic" mean or have anything to do with MU's schedule?

Three in Orlando - yes. However, they may play four in the Orlando Classic.

Please read 17.3.5.1.1 of the D-I Manual if you have questions.

bradley center bat

• All American
What does, "as Kansas and Michigan State got the 4th game as a home game for the Old Spice Classic" mean or have anything to do with MU's schedule?

Three in Orlando - yes. However, they may play four in the Orlando Classic.

Please read 17.3.5.1.1 of the D-I Manual if you have questions.
In most cases 4 of the 8 in the Old Spice Field, only gets the 4th game. Kansas & Michigan State are the two. (Rider-Kansas & Santa Clara-Michigan St) There has not been anything out for MU playing the 4th game. They didn't last time as well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:49:53 PM by bradley center bat »

bradley center bat

• All American
Correction on #mubb opponent for Nov. 24. MU will face NJIT, not Mount St. Mary's, at the @BMOHBC before @OrlandoClassic

chapman

• All American
Correction on #mubb opponent for Nov. 24. MU will face NJIT, not Mount St. Mary's, at the @BMOHBC before @OrlandoClassic

Odd...wonder if a last minute scheduling issue or just a mess up on whoever updated it and MSM will just happen in December?

Also "officially" put up the UW game on GoMarquette.com.

Jay Bee

• All American
In most cases 2 of the 8 in the Old Spice Field, only gets the 4th game. Kansas & Michigan State are the two. (Rider-Kansas & Santa Clara-Michigan St) There has not been anything out for MU playing the 4th game. They didn't last time as well.

What? "gets the 4th game" doesn't make any sense - there isn't just one 4th game. It's all a matter of scheduling and negotiations. MU could have 30 or 31 - it's not dependent on KU and MSU. I can think of at least 4 of the 8 who played a non-bracketed Old Spice Classic game last year. It just depends.

Could be 3, could be 4.

chapman

• All American
What? "gets the 4th game" doesn't make any sense - there isn't just one 4th game. It's all a matter of scheduling and negotiations. MU could have 30 or 31 - it's not dependent on KU and MSU. I can think of at least 4 of the 8 who played a non-bracketed Old Spice Classic game last year. It just depends.

Could be 3, could be 4.

Saw this at the bottom of the empty "bracket" page, left in from last year's field:

Non-Bracketed Game(s): Memphis at Oklahoma St (Nov 19) & Siena at Purdue (Nov 24)

So those four had the extra game last year...odd that the two marquee teams played at OSU first as part of the tournament. 

Jay Bee

• All American
Saw this at the bottom of the empty "bracket" page, left in from last year's field:

Non-Bracketed Game(s): Memphis at Oklahoma St (Nov 19) & Siena at Purdue (Nov 24)

So those four had the extra game last year...odd that the two marquee teams played at OSU first as part of the tournament. 

"The extra game" isn't "THE" is my point. In many situations, teams in a tourney will play another team that isn't involved in the bracketed games at all.. but it's "included" in the tournament..

i.e., you may have 8 teams in a 'field' that everyone sees in the bracket.. but some or even all 8 of those teams have played one non-bracketed game against a 'preliminary opponent'... the reason for this is to get in a 31st game (27 games  + 1 exempt tourney is allowed, with a max of 4 games in the tourney... so you marry a game that isn't "really" a part of the tourney into the tourney to get to 31 games).

bradley center bat

• All American
Correct! However you want to word it, because everyone is saying the same meaning, just wording it different.

I'm guessing MU will have 30 total games, not 31. Meaning 12 non-conference, not 13.

The Equalizer

• All American
"The extra game" isn't "THE" is my point. In many situations, teams in a tourney will play another team that isn't involved in the bracketed games at all.. but it's "included" in the tournament..

i.e., you may have 8 teams in a 'field' that everyone sees in the bracket.. but some or even all 8 of those teams have played one non-bracketed game against a 'preliminary opponent'... the reason for this is to get in a 31st game (27 games  + 1 exempt tourney is allowed, with a max of 4 games in the tourney... so you marry a game that isn't "really" a part of the tourney into the tourney to get to 31 games).

That game really "IS" part of the tourney, otherwise the teams playing a non-bracked game last year would have exceeded their 27 game + one qualifying regular-season multiple-team event limitation under 17.3.5.1 that you cited above. 

Given that MU is in the Orlando Classic tournament, as of right now scheduled to play 3 games in that tournament, and can only play 27 other games (prior to the conference tournament), our schedule is currently capped at 30 games plus the Big East Tournament. 

Marquette has no independent authority to "marry" another game on its schedule to the Orlando Classic to reach 31 games. What could possibly happen is that the organizers of the Orlando Classic schedule another non-bracketed game and invite Marquette to either host or play, getting us to 4 games in that particiular tournament.   

That would, when added to our other 27 games, give us a total of 31.

Jay Bee

• All American
That game really "IS" part of the tourney, otherwise the teams playing a non-bracked game last year would have exceeded their 27 game + one qualifying regular-season multiple-team event limitation under 17.3.5.1 that you cited above. 

Given that MU is in the Orlando Classic tournament, as of right now scheduled to play 3 games in that tournament, and can only play 27 other games (prior to the conference tournament), our schedule is currently capped at 30 games plus the Big East Tournament. 

Marquette has no independent authority to "marry" another game on its schedule to the Orlando Classic to reach 31 games. What could possibly happen is that the organizers of the Orlando Classic schedule another non-bracketed game and invite Marquette to either host or play, getting us to 4 games in that particiular tournament.   

That would, when added to our other 27 games, give us a total of 31.

No. You don't understand the scheduling process or the financial/contractual aspects. MU might play 30, they may play 31 (with a non play-in, loosely-related-to-the-Orlando-Classic game).

Texas Western

• All American
So far MU has announced 8 games and have said there will be 3 more home games after Wisconsin. That is a total of 11.  I guess that implies if we are going to have 12 games we will have one more road game after that....maybe ND?

The Equalizer

• All American
No. You don't understand the scheduling process or the financial/contractual aspects. MU might play 30, they may play 31 (with a non play-in, loosely-related-to-the-Orlando-Classic game).

No,

Under 17.5.3.1, the NCAA says teams can play 27 games plus one in-season tournament.

There is no or provision for "loosely-related" games.

So, therefore, the only way that MU can play a 31st game this year is to play 27 games plus 4 in the Orlando Classic.

Yes, Marquette could always request the organizers of the Orlando Classic to add another game to the tournament that would include MU.  And that would probably include some financial/contractual aspects.

But it would be entirely at the discretion of the organizers. If for whatever reason the organizers don't want to add another non-bracketed game to the 2014 Orlando Classic, then Marquette is capped at 30 games for the season--27 plus 3 games as part of the Orlando Classic as currently scheduled.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Off topic here but what tourney are we in for the 15' season? Just like to see a little ways ahead for these things.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MUDagwood

• Walk-On
Based on the schedule release so far, it looks like we will have one more home game (17 vs 16) than recent seasons due to the addition of the exhibition. Any chance the exhibition is played at the Al and isn't part of the season ticket package?

Nukem2

• All American
Based on the schedule release so far, it looks like we will have one more home game (17 vs 16) than recent seasons due to the addition of the exhibition. Any chance the exhibition is played at the Al and isn't part of the season ticket package?
Should be at the Bradley Center to get the new staff and the team acclimated to playing there prior to the regular season.

GB Warrior

• All American
It'd be nice for us to set up another home-away agreement with UWGB, though with Sykes back, this is a ballgame that could easily not go our way in 2014. In 2015, this would be a great chance to rub UWGB's noses in all the recruits we won over them.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:30:18 PM by Not Chris Otule's Coach »

chapman

• All American
Arizona State confirmed for 12/16.  Thought they'd do a buy game on that Sat/Sun/Mon after finals week, but unless something isn't yet confirmed, there will be a 10 day window between UW and ASU. 

Texas Western

• All American
Looks like ASU will be Luke Fischers first game. Hopefully we can schedule a couple more before the start of the Big East season.

bradley center bat

• All American
Arizona State confirmed for 12/16.  Thought they'd do a buy game on that Sat/Sun/Mon after finals week, but unless something isn't yet confirmed, there will be a 10 day window between UW and ASU. 
MU has always played a home game after finals on that Saturday. I'm stunned there is no game on Dec. 13.