'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Per Mark Miller... Matt Heldt just committed to MU  (Read 105061 times)

GOO

• All American
Re: Per Mark Miller... Matt Heldt just committed to MU
« Reply #300 on: July 28, 2014, 10:41:49 AM »

This is just selective memory.  We had a couple players who under performed (Erik Williams, Jamail Jones), a couple that performed as expected (Blue, Cadougan), and a bunch that performed better than we thought they would (Gardner, Jae, DJO, Butler).
I think he is referring to recruits that are not trending upwards when they commit.  E.g Caougan had big offers early, but those teams were backing off and we got him.  Or JJJ who had Memphis on him but was a second choice for Memphis and when Memphis signed the guy they wanted, we then got JJJ. 

Not so much the actual performance at MU, rather sometimes we got highly rated recruits who were not going up the rankings.  It seemed like the guys who were going up the ranking ended up elsewhere.

It maybe selective memory, but it is something that I've often noticed/thought during the process.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #301 on: July 28, 2014, 10:42:01 AM »
From a big picture perspective, MU should recruit/offer/sign any and every top 100 kid from the state. (assuming Matt is borderline).

It's not that I have a big affinity for WI prep hoops, but there are a lot of built in advantages and efficiencies recruiting locally vs recruiting (insert far away small town).

Now, I'm not saying MU shouldn't still recruit nationally, but if you've got a good player(s) in your backyard, you take 'em.  

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #302 on: July 28, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »
I think he is referring to recruits that are not trending upwards when they commit. 

Not so much the actual performance at MU, rather sometimes we got highly rated recruits who were not going up the rankings.  It seemed like the guys who were going up the ranking ended up elsewhere.

It maybe selective memory, but it is something that I've often noticed/thought during the process.

Agree. Always nice to get a guy whose stock is rising. We've had a couple (Wade, Crowder) and they worked out pretty well. We've had many more whose stock was static or slipping and the results have been mixed. As an example, Vander was a top 25, borderline 5* who slipped to the 40s and a 4*. Many were disappointed that he struggled early on, but he was young for his class (he's a year and a half younger than Todd Mayo) AND coming in on a bit of a down tick.

Nice to see Heldt (much like Fischer) moving sharply to the upside - the trend is your friend.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #303 on: July 28, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »
Many of Williams so called top 100 recruits did not end up actually being top 100 recruits. I do not care where they were rated, but Eric Williams and Jones were not top 100 recruits

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #304 on: July 28, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
I've said it numerous times before, but I don't care what a recruit is "rated" by the so-called experts.  If Wojo thinks they can come in and help the team win games, that's all that matters.

Is it good that "analysts" think we are recruiting good players.  Of course.  Perception counts for something.  However, results drive the bus.  Win games, the players will come.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #305 on: July 28, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »
I've said it numerous times before, but I don't care what a recruit is "rated" by the so-called experts.  If Wojo thinks they can come in and help the team win games, that's all that matters.

Is it good that "analysts" think we are recruiting good players.  Of course.  Perception counts for something.  However, results drive the bus.  Win games, the players will come.
Completely agree.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #306 on: July 28, 2014, 07:06:28 PM »
Hey Jay Bee---- Heldt just got better and smarter every game this year. Will be a HUGE asset to MU's
program.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #307 on: July 28, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »
I think he is referring to recruits that are not trending upwards when they commit.  E.g Caougan had big offers early, but those teams were backing off and we got him.  Or JJJ who had Memphis on him but was a second choice for Memphis and when Memphis signed the guy they wanted, we then got JJJ. 

If you compare pre-senior to post-senior RSCI rankings, almost none of MU's recruits trended downward.

JJJ improved from 57 in the fall RSCI to 30 in the final rankings.  That's a huge jump.
Burton fell, but only from 52 to 55.  Also flat was Wilson, who improved improved from 60 to 59th.

Steve Taylor fell from 73rd to 82nd. Not a huge change.

Juan Anderson moved up from 95th in the fall, to 81st in the final rankings.  Not a huge increase, but certainly not trending downward.

Jamail Jones fell slightly from 74 to 84th
Vander Blue improved from 53rd to 48th.

Cadougan jumped from 70th to 47th
Williams improved from 78th to 57th
Maymon from 85th to 73rd

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #308 on: July 28, 2014, 07:31:50 PM »
Wow, I was going to do that Equalizer but didn't have the time.  Great work.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #309 on: July 28, 2014, 07:53:19 PM »
If you compare pre-senior to post-senior RSCI rankings, almost none of MU's recruits trended downward.

JJJ improved from 57 in the fall RSCI to 30 in the final rankings.  That's a huge jump.
Burton fell, but only from 52 to 55.  Also flat was Wilson, who improved improved from 60 to 59th.

Steve Taylor fell from 73rd to 82nd. Not a huge change.

Juan Anderson moved up from 95th in the fall, to 81st in the final rankings.  Not a huge increase, but certainly not trending downward.

Jamail Jones fell slightly from 74 to 84th
Vander Blue improved from 53rd to 48th.

Cadougan jumped from 70th to 47th
Williams improved from 78th to 57th
Maymon from 85th to 73rd

Rankings are nice for comparing initial recruiting classes, but how many teams have had so many top recruits like Buzz had with so little individual success. I doubt if you compare a lot of these players' college careers to other players in their class they would not be considered top 100 at the end of their careers. I would say of the above players only Burton should of been ranked better than 55th.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2014, 08:00:43 PM »
Rankings are nice for comparing initial recruiting classes, but how many teams have had so many top recruits like Buzz had with so little individual success. I doubt if you compare a lot of these players' college careers to other players in their class they would not be considered top 100 at the end of their careers. I would say of the above players only Burton should of been ranked better than 55th.

As I mentioned above, we had a few that underperformed, a few that performed as expected, and a number who performed better than expected. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2014, 08:08:39 PM »

I don't have the energy to cross reference the lists, but I'd be willing to bet that busts happen to many coaches, all the time (Georgia Tech, St. John's, and Maryland seem to come to mind). Especially if you define bust as being outside the theoretical top 100 at the end of their college careers. It just seems like it happens to us all the time because we are only paying attention to Marquette. I would guess that at least 35 top 100 players a year end up finishing their careers with less than top 100 performances.

I would also put Vander, Mbakwe, and Maymon in the top 55 of their respective classes. Burton will probably be. We have no idea about Duane and JJJ (or Luke/Sandy for that matter)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:13:11 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #312 on: July 28, 2014, 09:17:18 PM »
We have no idea about Duane and JJJ (or Luke/Sandy for that matter)

Sure we do
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #313 on: July 29, 2014, 07:30:59 AM »
Sure we do

????

We know that by the time they graduate if they will have one of top 55 college careers of their respective classes?
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #314 on: July 29, 2014, 08:35:42 AM »
He was right in that this board is full of ideas about players.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #315 on: July 29, 2014, 08:44:48 AM »
I don't have the energy to cross reference the lists, but I'd be willing to bet that busts happen to many coaches, all the time (Georgia Tech, St. John's, and Maryland seem to come to mind). Especially if you define bust as being outside the theoretical top 100 at the end of their college careers. It just seems like it happens to us all the time because we are only paying attention to Marquette. I would guess that at least 35 top 100 players a year end up finishing their careers with less than top 100 performances.

I would also put Vander, Mbakwe, and Maymon in the top 55 of their respective classes. Burton will probably be. We have no idea about Duane and JJJ (or Luke/Sandy for that matter)
Mbakwe was not a Buzz recruit. It might be closer than I think, Maymon was a very good player, but was he top 55? I would rank anyone ahead of him in his class that were actually drafted whether it was after their first, second, third, fourth or fifth year in college. Maybe the battle for the 55th best player in that class would be between Maymon and Jamil. I think Vander would be closer than Maymon to be top 55 and most likely he was, but he threw away his last year of college so how does that effect his ranking?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #316 on: July 29, 2014, 11:55:34 AM »
Sure we do
Agreed. And we have a great deal of knowledge of the elite game changer' abilities.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #317 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:34 PM »
Agreed. And we have a great deal of knowledge of the elite game changer' abilities.

Shouldn't you be happy? MU landed a big who will be ranked in the top 100.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #318 on: July 29, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »

Thanks Willie. I was worried that a thread was getting this long without any irrelevant posts about Derrick
TAMU

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #319 on: July 29, 2014, 11:00:54 PM »
Evan Daniels of Scout in an article today said Heldt along with Creighton commit Justin Patton will be in the top 100 on the next round of rankings.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #320 on: July 30, 2014, 07:17:45 AM »
Evan Daniels of Scout in an article today said Heldt along with Creighton commit Justin Patton will be in the top 100 on the next round of rankings.
and that would be when?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #321 on: July 30, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »
...in the next round of rankings

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #322 on: July 30, 2014, 09:20:39 AM »
and that would be when?

Probably end of summer

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #323 on: August 14, 2014, 11:49:07 AM »
Sorry if I have missed this elsewhere but Scout now has Matt as a 4 star recruit.  He's the #15 center in the class and is ranked #56 overall. 

Looks like a nice little bump.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #324 on: August 14, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »

Didn't paint touches or cracked sidewalks do a study on this a few years back? Like how many end up drafted or something?
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback