[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Per Mark Miller... Matt Heldt just committed to MU  (Read 105048 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Per Mark Miller... Matt Heldt just committed to MU
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 12:24:29 PM »
Welcome, Matt.

Did he not have an offer from Wisconsin?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »
Can we take him and Ellenson?  Is that realistic?  Can I assume that he might be more of developing player who will look to start as an upperclassmen whereas Ellenson could be gone by then?

Definitely. Heldt's body will need some work, and he plays a different game than Ellenson.

When I see Ellenson play, the first guy I think of is Singler. Might not be as good of a shooter yet, but can definitely see similarities. I'm sure Wojo does as well.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 12:34:15 PM »
So we went from recruiting 4 star studs and JC all-americans with Buzz; to recruiting 3 star Kids from Neenah who were considering Lehigh and Drake?
We went from recruiting switchables to an actual center.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »
Wait, did you really just say that?  WTF.  You asked where is someone getting 3 stars from.  The answer was provided to you, from two recruiting services.  YOU asked, then you make that kind of statement when someone provided you with the information?  I also called him an up and comer, by the way.

For the record, his lowest rankings is with Rivals, no stars.   

My original comment was rhetorical. Settle down.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »
Welcome, Matt.

Did he not have an offer from Wisconsin?

No offer from UW-madison, but they were keeping tabs on him.  Henry is their guy they are targeting and if he fell through, Heldt was a potential option B.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 12:40:28 PM »
My original comment was rhetorical. Settle down.

If it was rhetorical, then your follow-up comment to me was not necessary at all.  Maybe it wasn't so rhetorical.  At. All. 

Settled down.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »
Wait, did you really just say that?  WTF.  You asked where is someone getting 3 stars from.  The answer was provided to you, from two recruiting services.  YOU asked, then you make that kind of statement when someone provided you with the information?  I also called him an up and comer, by the way.

For the record, his lowest rankings is with Rivals, no stars.    

heavy...stop making me agree with chicos.  

time will tell on this one, but if i were in wojo's shoes i wouldn't turn down an easy to land big man.  worst case scenario we get a solid role/situational player that can give us 5 fouls when need be, and will require anyone guarding him to step out on the perimeter.  upside on a big man with outside range/skills can obviously be far beyond that.

that said, i'd bet this is the biggest moment in this kids life, and he's on the internet reading all about it...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:52:27 PM by avid1010 »

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »
Matt Heldt
‏@HeldtMatt
Ecstatic to be committed to Marquette! Thanks to everyone who has helped me on my journey so far. #blessed
9:58 AM - 1 Jul 2014

Nick Noskowiak ‏@NickNoskowiak  6m
@HeldtMatt let's get it !!

Matt Heldt ‏@HeldtMatt  6m
@NickNoskowiak I'm all in brother!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:04:17 PM by VegasWarrior77 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 01:03:15 PM »
No offer from UW-madison, but they were keeping tabs on him.  Henry is their guy they are targeting and if he fell through, Heldt was a potential option B.

Actually, Stone is the guy they are targeting at the 5 (Heldt's position). Don't think they'll get him and I assume we're officially out with Matt's commitment. Ellenson is a 4.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
heavy...stop making me agree with chicos.  

time will tell on this one, but if i were in wojo's shoes i wouldn't turn down an easy to land big man.  worst case scenario we get a solid role/situational player that can give us 5 fouls when need be, and will require anyone guarding him to step out on the perimeter.  upside on a big man with outside range/skills can obviously be far beyond that.

that said, i'd bet this is the biggest moment in this kids life, and he's on the internet reading all about it...

Reading lots of good things about him on Twitter. Mark Miller has him ranked third in the state. Very solid player who's only going to get better. Win-win for him and for MU.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 01:16:47 PM »
He seems like the type of big we've wanted for years right?

Black Swan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »
I really like this commit. I wasn't high on him his Soph year but he made huge strides last summer. Very good footwork around the basket and finishes well with both hands. Outstanding passer and seems comfortable dealing with double teams, catches and looks opposite extremely well. Has played very well in screen and roll game as his point guard was outstanding in this part of the game (Pohlman, going to Northern Michigan) and also has pick and pop potential. He shoots it well to 15 and should be solid out to 3 as he gets stronger (he can shoot it now but I am not sure that you want him to yet). Runs the floor easily but he doesn't have really quick feet so ball screen defense could be a challenge. Not an explosive player but perhaps he will improve a bit with maturity.  As he gets stronger I think he will be a very nice high D1 player. I am really surprised that UW didn't recruit him harder. Now go get Ellensen and Wojo will be looking very good.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 01:27:04 PM »
Skilled big who can run the floor, shoot and score in the low post.....what's not to like?

Frank Kaminsky was a 3 star without any high major offers outside of UW....how did that work out?

230lbs now and trying to get up to 240 by the start of the season.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
Traditional U. I like it. Great way to go up against UW, hey?

If you can't beat 'em join 'em

Death on call

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 01:55:38 PM »
Mike Deane must be back, I hope we can recruit one minority kid this year.  Good pick up as a back-up to Fisher, it gives Heldt a couple of years to work behind Fisher.  There are only 3
scholarships left fro 2015, if the Ellenson boys take them, that will leave one.  I think that should be saved for 2016 unless there is really a 4 or 5 star kid that wants to come to MU.  With Levin
and Heldt, they will have some good depth which they really need this year.  5 deep upfront in 2 years compared  to 3 deep this year.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
So we went from recruiting 4 star studs and JC all-americans with Buzz; to recruiting 3 star Kids from Neenah who were considering Lehigh and Drake?

Recruiting and Getting are two different things.  Name a highly ranked true Center Buzz landed during his tenure?  What good does clinging to the revisionist image of Buzz do for us?  He didn't want to be at MU, Wojo does...wait a year or two before you tarnish his abilities.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 02:16:14 PM »
Mike Deane must be back, I hope we can recruit one minority kid this year.

The fact that I am associated with the Marquette fan base can be so damn depressing at times.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »
I really like this commit. I wasn't high on him his Soph year but he made huge strides last summer. Very good footwork around the basket and finishes well with both hands. Outstanding passer and seems comfortable dealing with double teams, catches and looks opposite extremely well. Has played very well in screen and roll game as his point guard was outstanding in this part of the game (Pohlman, going to Northern Michigan) and also has pick and pop potential. He shoots it well to 15 and should be solid out to 3 as he gets stronger (he can shoot it now but I am not sure that you want him to yet). Runs the floor easily but he doesn't have really quick feet so ball screen defense could be a challenge. Not an explosive player but perhaps he will improve a bit with maturity.  As he gets stronger I think he will be a very nice high D1 player. I am really surprised that UW didn't recruit him harder. Now go get Ellensen and Wojo will be looking very good.

How dare you offer insight on the man's basketball skills!

Seriously, Scoopers gnash their teeth over MU's inability to land a 5 and then when we do get someone who has national-level attention there is more wailing and lamenting! You guys would bitch about a blow job...  

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »

You haven't posted much, but I love what you write.  Very quality stuff.

Yes, Heldt and Ellenson can play together.  My guess for awhile is that Stone isn't coming here.

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »
Geez.

Now we don't even wait for the kid to enroll before we say he's not good enough?
\
No kidding!  Though I'm sure the poster is a much better judge of basketball ability then Wojo!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »

You haven't posted much, but I love what you write.  

I agree. When Bob Lackey posts Scoopers ought not to ignore his wisdom

Death on call

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2014, 02:25:35 PM »
Skilled big who can run the floor, shoot and score in the low post.....what's not to like?

Frank Kaminsky was a 3 star without any high major offers outside of UW....how did that work out?

230lbs now and trying to get up to 240 by the start of the season.

Great stuff Mark.  BTW, there are people on here who think that Frank the Tank has NOT worked out cuz he plays in Madison.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »
How dare you offer insight on the man's basketball skills!

Seriously, Scoopers gnash their teeth over MU's inability to land a 5 and then when we do get someone who has national-level attention there is more wailing and lamenting! You guys would bitch about a blow job...  

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »
No offer from UW-madison, but they were keeping tabs on him.  Henry is their guy they are targeting and if he fell through, Heldt was a potential option B.

My guess is if Henry stays in state, it will be at Marquette.  There doesn't seem to be much interest in UW from his end.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »
Agree with this. He played with Noskowiak and Pritzl last year, but switched back to Spartans (his original team) this year and has really improved. I heard he went back because it was just bombs away for Pritzl all last year. Noskowiak left as well. I would project Heldt to be a hybrid of Fischer and Kaminsky. Can definitely shoot it, but I think he could be a pretty special player once he hits the weight room for two years. Hindsight is 20/20 and there are no results to speak of yet, but MU basketball has a totally different feel for me under Wojo. The program feels "cleaner" to me. There was a certain slime factor/schtick with Buzz that you knew existed, but put up with because he was delivering. Wojo just makes MU look/feel more legit IMO. We're not getting Stone, but if Wojo delivers Ellingsen, he is putting together an awesome recruiting class on paper.