collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best Pizza  (Read 29248 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Best Pizza
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
Nutmeg

I was on the running machine at the club on a rainy day last week and I saw a show on burger joints. The one that caught my eye was this one - Louis Lunch in New Haven. It really did seem like the all-time best.

Thoughts?

http://www.louislunch.com/

The birthplace of the hamburger.  Others make the claim but this is the only place still open.  It's very unique.  It's literally a shack made of brick.  It was moved 2 blocks to it's current location to save from demolition.

They make the burger fresh in front of you.  They cook the burgers vertically in what looks like those old toasters. (Gas oven.)
They serve it on white bread because anything else detracts from the taste and never ask for ketchup or French fries because they don't serve them.

I'm a fan.  FWIW, my wife is not a big hamburger eater.  She only eats homemade burgers and Louie's.  And you can get that New England staple, birch beer, with your burger.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2015, 08:27:02 PM »
Seymour.  Home of the hamburger.

http://homeofthehamburger.org
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:30:21 PM by real chili 83 »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2015, 07:05:17 AM »
Seymour.  Home of the hamburger.

http://homeofthehamburger.org

We have one of those proclamations in Connecticut also.  Is Charlie's still in business?  As I recall reading he didn't serve so much as hamburgers, but more smushed meatballs?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2015, 08:00:24 AM »
I'll give three just in case you find yourself in the Cleveland area:

Pizzaria Cerino (Seven Hills) - Great thin pizza from the third generation of a well-known Cleveland restaurant family.  Try the Pancetta & Pomodoro.

3 Palms Pizzeria (Hudson) - A relatively new place that my kids had discovered previously, and finally got me there this past weekend.  Really nice, fresh thin crust pizza in a wood-fired oven.

Romitos (Independence and elsewhere) - Our old stand-by.  Great for parties and large groups.  Thicker crust and great sauce.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »
Transfer Pizzeria Cafe on 1st and Mitchell. By far my favorite in Wisconsin.

Transfer is really good.  And it's a cool place.  I still prefer Zaffiro's pizza, but I do also like Transfer.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2015, 08:15:59 PM »
anyone familiar with any of these?  thumbs up or down on the 2015 picks-

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/07/29/best-pizza-places-in-america-ranked-by-tripadvisor/?intcmp=hpffo&intcmp=obnetwork

I have been to Moose's Tooth. I am surprised it's pizza is ranked that highly; the beer is the real attraction there. Definitely worth a stop if in Anchorage.

Death on call

source?

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2015, 02:30:29 AM »
anyone familiar with any of these?  thumbs up or down on the 2015 picks-

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/07/29/best-pizza-places-in-america-ranked-by-tripadvisor/?intcmp=hpffo&intcmp=obnetwork

Spent a substantial portion of my childhood in Connecticut. If you find yourself out that way definitely stop by Frank Pepe. If I could afford it I would go back just to eat it for a week straight.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2015, 03:40:27 AM »
Spent a substantial portion of my childhood in Connecticut. If you find yourself out that way definitely stop by Frank Pepe. If I could afford it I would go back just to eat it for a week straight.

Where the hell did you hear that?

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2015, 07:18:57 AM »

Keep talking source? !

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2015, 03:50:55 PM »
I have been to Moose's Tooth. I am surprised it's pizza is ranked that highly; the beer is the real attraction there. Definitely worth a stop if in Anchorage.

so no relation to moose knuckle? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2015, 11:48:49 AM »

In anchorage next month on my way to Kodiak. Will definitely stop there

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2015, 08:11:38 PM »

Browns?

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »
Buddy's in Detroit
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2015, 09:42:09 PM »

Some friends just got back from there. Dollies, Rockfish, and Halibut are great this year.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2015, 12:23:09 AM »

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2015, 09:21:51 AM »
Keefe,
I have a co-worker who recently relocated to Connecticut and he's living in Stamford and I mentioned the Coalhouse to him based on your rec.

The list is missing the other two places of New Haven note: Modern Apizza & The Bar.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:25:06 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2015, 12:00:53 PM »
Keefe,
I have a co-worker who recently relocated to Connecticut and he's living in Stamford and I mentioned the Coalhouse to him based on your rec.

The list is missing the other two places of New Haven note: Modern Apizza & The Bar.
I have family in Stamford so I'll definitely have to try the coalhouse next time I'm down there. I think modern is great and I want to try The Bar, but whenever we're driving down 95 it's hard to pass up Pepes for anything else. Unreal pizza, one of my favorites.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2015, 12:26:21 PM »
I have family in Stamford so I'll definitely have to try the coalhouse next time I'm down there. I think modern is great and I want to try The Bar, but whenever we're driving down 95 it's hard to pass up Pepes for anything else. Unreal pizza, one of my favorites.

Pepe's & Sally's is like the Hatfield's & McCoys.  You go to one or the other.  I've never actually been to Sally's, but frequent Pepe's quite often.  Lines at Modern are usually shorter than Sally's or Pepe's.  Bar is very at mealtimes especially on the weekends.  Plus The Bar brews and services their on beer.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »

I was just at Moose's tooth and was underwhelmed by the pizza. The beer  is the attraction. Met a guy at the bar who is a salvage diver and he regaled me with his experience helping to get that Italian liner off the reef in Italy. Can't recommend the pies at all.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2015, 12:40:48 PM »
Pepe's & Sally's is like the Hatfield's & McCoys.  You go to one or the other.  I've never actually been to Sally's, but frequent Pepe's quite often.  Lines at Modern are usually shorter than Sally's or Pepe's.  Bar is very at mealtimes especially on the weekends.  Plus The Bar brews and services their on beer.

I agree, I've never been to Sally's and I probably never will go there

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2015, 01:20:22 PM »
   I was just at Moose's tooth and was underwhelmed by the pizza. The beer  is the attraction. Met a guy at the bar who is a salvage diver and he regaled me with his experience helping to get that Italian liner off the reef in Italy. Can't recommend the pies at all.

Let me reiterate that I was surprised Moose's pizza was mentioned as I was never overly impressed. It's not bad but it is far from great. Standard fare, really.

The great thing about drinking in Alaska is the great cast of characters who inhabit the bars. There are some great aviator bars filled with bush pilots, freight guys, and fighter pilots along with commercial fishermen, oil patchers, weed growers, and others of questionable background.

One can never quite capture the color of Alaska in words.

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2015, 10:41:23 PM »
After MU I dated a friend's younger sister for a while as they had an awesome place up by Land O lakes and we would drive up from Chi to spend weekends there. we went our separate ways and years later I picked up an Outside magazine and Lo' there was an article about Kitty who was the first lady bush pilot to regularly  fly people onto a glacier. pretty proud of her

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »
After MU I dated a friend's younger sister for a while as they had an awesome place up by Land O lakes and we would drive up from Chi to spend weekends there. we went our separate ways and years later I picked up an Outside magazine and Lo' there was an article about Kitty who was the first lady bush pilot to regularly  fly people onto a glacier. pretty proud of her

Who doesn't love a Lady Bush Pilot...

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »
Indeed!