[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best Pizza  (Read 29251 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Best Pizza
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »
If you ever find yourself in Stamford I recommend the Coalhouse. My first meal back in CONUS when I was living in Asia was always a pie from here. Never disappointed.

Keefe,
Coalhouse Pizza just was named in Connecticut Magazine's Best of Connecticut issue, but not listed under pizza.  (There was no "Pizza" category.)   It was listed under Experts’ Picks: Best Craft Beer Haven.

http://www.connecticutmag.com/Connecticut-Magazine/January-2015/Winter-2015-Dining-Guide/Best-Restaurants-in-Connecticut-2015-Experts-Picks/

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
People love to debate pizza, and in America there are many different variations, and everyone has an opinion and preference. Whenever I travel to different cities I always make a point to do a lot of research and go to the best local food spots(many of them pizza places). I have been to many nationally ranked and highly regarded pizza places throughout the country and I've come up with a list of the best.
10. Modern Apizza-New Haven CT- great pizza, classic thin crust not too long of a wait.
9. Pizzeria Uno's(original location)-Chicago- awesome deep dish, tastes completely different from the chain restaurant locations throughout the country, delicious flakey buttery crust.
8.Gino's East-Chicago-Another great deep dish, heavier than Uno's and it had more/better sauce
7. L&B Spimoni Gardens-Brooklyn-Hole in the wall place in Brooklyn's Italian Bensonhurst neighborhood. If you don't like tourists than this is the place for you, deep in the heart of Brooklyn far beyond where most average tourists would dare to go. I hate going to cheesy places, and this is the exact opposite. Definitely a regulars place where the locals go to eat delicious Sicilian style pizza. This pizza is a hybrid between Thin crust and deep dish. They cook it in a big rectangular tray and put the cheese on before the sauce, like a deep dish pie.
6. Pizzeria Caserta- Providence- Similar to Spimoni Gardens. more cheese on this pizza but still good and saucy. Nice crisp crust. Great place in Providence's famous Federal Hill neighborhood which is filled with great restaurants.
5. Bob and Timmy's- Providence- Also located on Federal Hill this place is extremely unique. They are famous for their grilled pizza's. They have a really thin crust, and the bottom of the pizza is really crisp, almost like a cracker. I'm aware that this type of pizza isn't popular in the Midwest but the buffalo chicken pizza is the best.
4. Grimaldi's-Brooklyn- Located underneath the famous Brooklyn Bridge this is one of the oldest and most famous pizza places in the country. Expect to wait in a long line out front, but the location provides amazing views of the Bridge, the river/harbor, and the skyline. Classic Neapolitan pizza with nice pieces of mozzarella cheese and a really good sweet tomato sauce made with San Marzano tomatoes imported from Italy. Also cooked in a very hot coal brick oven which gives the crust great flavor.
3. Pizzeria Regina's-Boston-Located in Boston's historic and picturesque North End neighborhood. Expect to wait in line, but it is well worth it. Amazing all around pizza place that has been around 1926. This place is old school and still uses the original brick oven from 1926, which they say is so seasoned with flavors over all the years that you simply cannot copy the taste. This is a classic Boston place with great history and attitude.
2. Frank Pepe's-New Haven CT- On famous Wooster st. this is a New Haven staple. Another old school place that also uses their old brick oven to create amazing flavors. Classic east coast thin style pizza with an amazing tasting crust.
1. Santarpio's-Boston-pronounced Santahpio's this place serves the best pizza in the country. Everything about this place is great. Located in East Boston this place is much more of a locals place than Regina's is. Awesome character and attitude at this place that makes it a Boston landmark. When most people talk about a pizza having a great crust they are referring to the dough at the end of each slice. However, Santarpio's has and amazing undercrust that is so unique and delicious. You get a great crunchy taste from the crust in every bite. Awesome sauce and cheese to go along with it. If you want a true taste of Boston, and an amazing meal go to Santarpio's.

let me know if any of you have been to these places and tell me what you think.
Also share your personal favorites

The Truth

Somehow I missed your original post on this????

#10) Modern & #2) Pepe's - I still frequent both. 

Post-Marquette graduation, I tried to recreate my college "fun" and avoid driving anywhere by moving Downtown New Haven.  I lived 2 blocks from Modern and I ate take-out from there every Friday.
Pepe's is still my clear favorite as I mentioned already in this thread.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 07:32:39 PM »
Keefe,
Coalhouse Pizza just was named in Connecticut Magazine's Best of Connecticut issue, but not listed under pizza.  (There was no "Pizza" category.)   It was listed under Experts’ Picks: Best Craft Beer Haven.

http://www.connecticutmag.com/Connecticut-Magazine/January-2015/Winter-2015-Dining-Guide/Best-Restaurants-in-Connecticut-2015-Experts-Picks/

An excellent choice. Man, did I look forward to having my first back in the States meal there. Really, really great stuff.

Cheers, Nutmeg

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »
An excellent choice. Man, did I look forward to having my first back in the States meal there. Really, really great stuff.

Cheers, Nutmeg

Cheers!  Na zadrowie!

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »
If any Scoopers find yourselves in west Michigan, check out Fricano's Pizza. The original location in Grand Haven is the oldest pizza place in that part of the state. All they serve is thin crust pizza and it only comes in one size. Try the E.B.A. (everything but anchovies) it's a one of a kind.

"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2014, 09:54:07 AM »
Any other old school Milwaukeeans remember the Leaning Tower of Pizza on Hampton?  Back in the day, my dad used to bring this home for dinner on Friday nights.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »
Any other old school Milwaukeeans remember the Leaning Tower of Pizza on Hampton?  Back in the day, my dad used to bring this home for dinner on Friday nights.

Ned's??

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
Como Inn on 27th south of Wisconsin Ave.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 01:20:54 AM »
Como Inn on 27th south of Wisconsin Ave.

On Saturdays they had the Privileged Three featuring Don Momblow on guitar. Friday Fish Fry just $1.50. Why didn't i know about this place?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19710121&id=d3YfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=iCgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2110,203590

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 08:19:10 AM »
Don always had a very satisfied grin on his kisser, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »
Don always had a very satisfied grin on his kisser, hey?

And why not? Guy always reeked of fish fry with that glaze of grease on his face

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 11:20:08 AM »
Peqoud's pizza in Chicago is the best pizza I have ever had....it's like a slice of heaven and I wish I had one right now!! They put cheese between the pan and dough, then the cheese carmelizes to the dough when being cooked. It's kind of like slightly burnt cheese and it's delicious.

For a unique thin crust, I like Sammy's pizza in Green Bay. Really thin crust, but is very good. They cut the pizza into little squares, giving each piece it's own little sausage meatball.

+1

Including UNO on the list makes the OP lose all credibility with me. I can think of literally a dozen better deep dish places in Chicago.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »
And why not? Guy always reeked of fish fry with that glaze of grease on his face

Last name of Momblow says it all, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »
If any Scoopers find yourselves in west Michigan, check out Fricano's Pizza. The original location in Grand Haven is the oldest pizza place in that part of the state. All they serve is thin crust pizza and it only comes in one size. Try the E.B.A. (everything but anchovies) it's a one of a kind.

Another great place in SW Michigan.  DiMaggio's   http://www.dimaggiospizzaandburgers.com/

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »

Last name of Momblow says it all, hey?

That's what she said

Death on call

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2015, 03:31:59 PM »

I remember the Leaning Tower of Pizza.  It was like a cool little three-story replica of the actual leaning tower of Pisa.  It felt really cramped and crooked on the inside.  I don't remember the pizza being very good but as kids we always begged to go there. When it closed, I'm sure they had to tear the building down since it would be impractical for any other business.  The Leaning Tower of Hair Extensions, maybe?  :/
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2015, 04:11:56 PM »
Coulda been a good spot for a day care or nail joint, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »
When in St. Paul try the East Sider at Savoy's.  Sausage and sauerkraut.  Surprisingly good.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
Somehow I missed your original post on this????

#10) Modern & #2) Pepe's - I still frequent both. 

Post-Marquette graduation, I tried to recreate my college "fun" and avoid driving anywhere by moving Downtown New Haven.  I lived 2 blocks from Modern and I ate take-out from there every Friday.
Pepe's is still my clear favorite as I mentioned already in this thread.

Nutmeg

I was on the running machine at the club on a rainy day last week and I saw a show on burger joints. The one that caught my eye was this one - Louis Lunch in New Haven. It really did seem like the all-time best.

Thoughts?

http://www.louislunch.com/

Death on call

fjm

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2015, 02:13:05 PM »
Transfer Pizzeria Cafe on 1st and Mitchell. By far my favorite in Wisconsin.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2015, 02:38:21 PM »
Nutmeg

I was on the running machine at the club on a rainy day last week and I saw a show on burger joints. The one that caught my eye was this one - Louis Lunch in New Haven. It really did seem like the all-time best.

Thoughts?

http://www.louislunch.com/

In my opinion it's unique but not spectacular.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2015, 05:45:54 AM »
when i was knee-high to a grasshopper-shakey's was THE PLACE.  my parents would take any of us 5 young-ens out to eat anywhere we wanted on our birthdays.  we could have picked sanford if it were around back then, but nope-shakey's it was.  we thought the coolest thing was you could watch them make the pies and chicken w/mojos through a window.  don't remember if the pizza was any good, but my mom n dad were probably relieved sanford didn't have pizza on their menu
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2015, 06:38:55 AM »
when i was knee-high to a grasshopper-shakey's was THE PLACE.  my parents would take any of us 5 young-ens out to eat anywhere we wanted on our birthdays.  we could have picked sanford if it were around back then, but nope-shakey's it was.  we thought the coolest thing was you could watch them make the pies and chicken w/mojos through a window.  don't remember if the pizza was any good, but my mom n dad were probably relieved sanford didn't have pizza on their menu

Barnabys was a similar deal for us.  I still like going there when I can.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2015, 09:14:50 AM »
The fact that any of that deep dish garbage appears anywhere in the top 10 completely invalidates your list.