[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Any Clash of Clan players here?  (Read 49373 times)

MARQTTE

• Walk-On
Any Clash of Clan players here?
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »
1993 MU Engineering Grad

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: Any Clash of Clan players here?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:31:34 AM »
Is the game worth downloading?  I actually just got done playing a round of Civ II. 

MARQTTE

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »
I'm addicted.  It's a lot of fun.  It's even more fun now that they released Clan wars. 
1993 MU Engineering Grad

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:39:08 AM »

My kids play, does that count?

MARQTTE

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »

My kids play too but I play a lot more than they do.  I just started my own clan so that I can watch who they chat with and to make sure the language is under control.  The leader of my previous clan started dropping f bombs so it was time to leave. 

I'd like to get the clan up to 10 people so I can start a clan war.  The clan name is the same as my screen name, MARQTTE.
1993 MU Engineering Grad

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »
I'll join your clan.  But I have a lot of f-bombs pent up from not being able to drop them on MUScoop, so you may have to ban me eventually.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 01:58:54 PM »
My pupils play CoC and it looks interesting.

What makes it enjoyable as an adult gamer?
SS Marquette

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 02:05:07 PM »
My pupils play CoC and it looks interesting.

What makes it enjoyable as an adult gamer?

the F-bombs of course

MARQTTE

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »
I like the game because it's not too complicated, there's some strategy, and you always seem to progress by making your village bigger and better.

Advantages: 
No annoying ads, anywhere.  They must make their money from people buying gems which allows you buy more items and buy them faster.
Doesn't require a ton of time.  You can check on your village, make a few tweaks and log off.
Can chat with friends/family if you are in the same clan.
Clan Wars allows you to fight other clans.

Disadvantages: Need an internet connection to the play the game.  Meaning you have to have a connection to play the game every time.  So if you have it loaded on an ipod or ipad, you need wifi to play.
Finding a good clan:  no explanation needed.
If you don't check on your village at least once a day, it will definitely get raided and destroyed (really not that big of deal).
1993 MU Engineering Grad

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 05:14:36 PM »
My kids play too but I play a lot more than they do.  I just started my own clan so that I can watch who they chat with and to make sure the language is under control.  The leader of my previous clan started dropping f bombs so it was time to leave. 

I'd like to get the clan up to 10 people so I can start a clan war.  The clan name is the same as my screen name, MARQTTE.

Why not join the clan already named Marquette?  They look like they have enough members for a clan war.

Is the game worth downloading?  I actually just got done playing a round of Civ II. 

Yes.  After all, it's free... you don't like, you delete.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 06:44:10 PM »

Yeah, right.... "My kids play"
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 08:11:58 PM »

Disadvantages: Need an internet connection to the play the game. 

That would make it tough to play in Seattle. One would be limited to everywhere

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »
Done. Will join soon.

Also downloaded Family Guy. Hilarious. VERY ADULT.

Already play Simpsons.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »
OK, I'll give it a whirl...kids say it is fun

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 07:03:31 AM »

Just started, says invite only.  Help a brotha out, screen name, obvi is reinko

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 07:06:45 AM »

My kids play Minecraft and I have to usually have to pull the plug on them.  And that's usually followed by a "Well Grammy said, you and your brother used to play Atari all the time." 

MARQTTE

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 07:54:40 AM »
So just to clarify - if you want to join my clan, or any clan for that matter, you have to search the clan name, click on it, and request to join. To search a clan, click on your clan castle, click on the clan icon, and then click on the Search clan tab:

Clans can be of three different types:
closed: meaning not taking new clan members
anyone can join: just like it sounds
invite only: meaning you have to request to join.  leaders and elders can accept these requests

1993 MU Engineering Grad

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 08:09:45 AM »
I've been playing CoC for a couple months .. for anyone here starting up, a few things I wish I'd known:

1. Don't so much worry about being attacked.  It's going to happen.  You're going to lose.  About the best thing you can hope for is to (eventually) make your castle look too scary to attack, then people will pass it up.  Eventually, someone will crush you.  But that's ok, you only lose gold and elixir and just a fraction of what you really have.  (You don't lose any of the things you've built.)   -- For the same reason, don't worry about losing your shield.  If you've sat down to play, play.

2. Upgrade your town hall until level 6.  Once that happens, things get tougher, in that, all the raids you go on, you'll be penalized for having a higher town hall than your victim, so you get tiny amounts of gold/elixir if you win.   I didn't know that, and when I upgraded to TH7, suddenly most raids either weren't worth the effort, or were way too hard to be competitive.  Sit at level 6 until most everything is upgraded.  True, level 7 gives you another camp, which means you have 40 more guys to throw into raids and that helps.. but the raids are worth so much less.

3. Naturally, your raids have a cost.  Example ..10 giants cost you 15,000 elixir.  No point in attacking someone with less than 15,000, as you have little to gain.  

4. Gems .. if you don't mind spending real $$, do what you wish.  If you do, never spend gems on "speeding things up".  Admittedly, I invested $10 in gems and bought two builders.  That helps you get things started quickly .. after a few months, though, I'll often have a builder or two not working because you won't have enough elixir to get them working, so they sit unused.

Any other tips from players?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:14:48 AM by mu_hilltopper »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 08:14:33 AM »
My kids play Minecraft and I have to usually have to pull the plug on them.  And that's usually followed by a "Well Grammy said, you and your brother used to play Atari all the time." 

The draw to play Minecraft in my house is intense, and mom is constantly nagging the kids to stop.

BTW, do you or your kids know about StampyLongnose on Youtube?   He puts out a 25 minute Minecraft video every day.  After 3 days, it'll have 1m views.   How much does he get?  Around $9,000 for each video.  Can you imagine that?   Each day, you wake up and decide .. should I screw around (??) and do nothing all day .. or play a video game for a half hour and make 9 grand.

Guy is my freaking hero.  23 years old.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 08:24:35 AM »
The draw to play Minecraft in my house is intense, and mom is constantly nagging the kids to stop.

BTW, do you or your kids know about StampyLongnose on Youtube?   He puts out a 25 minute Minecraft video every day.  After 3 days, it'll have 1m views.   How much does he get?  Around $9,000 for each video.  Can you imagine that?   Each day, you wake up and decide .. should I screw around (??) and do nothing all day .. or play a video game for a half hour and make 9 grand.

Guy is my freaking hero.  23 years old.

I always seem to catch them on the iPod watching a "new" video on "ideas for" Minecraft and have to ask don't you know how to play already, so I assume it's StampyLongnose. 

$9,000 a video?  Every day?  Snikes!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 08:30:02 AM »
Never played Minecraft... never really got it... kind of seems like legos on the computer, and then monsters try to attack your lego house.  Sure I've seen some really amazing 'art' and people recreating movies and cities on it, but that is way too much work for me.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 08:42:12 AM »
Never played Minecraft... never really got it... kind of seems like legos on the computer, and then monsters try to attack your lego house.  Sure I've seen some really amazing 'art' and people recreating movies and cities on it, but that is way too much work for me.

We agree.  It's kinda fun for 5-10 minutes .. I suppose fun to see what other people have created. 

Somehow, it's crack cocaine to those < 15 years old.

MARQTTE

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 08:48:41 AM »
I've been playing CoC for a couple months .. for anyone here starting up, a few things I wish I'd known:

1. Don't so much worry about being attacked.  It's going to happen.  You're going to lose.  About the best thing you can hope for is to (eventually) make your castle look too scary to attack, then people will pass it up.  Eventually, someone will crush you.  But that's ok, you only lose gold and elixir and just a fraction of what you really have.  (You don't lose any of the things you've built.)   -- For the same reason, don't worry about losing your shield.  If you've sat down to play, play.

2. Upgrade your town hall until level 6.  Once that happens, things get tougher, in that, all the raids you go on, you'll be penalized for having a higher town hall than your victim, so you get tiny amounts of gold/elixir if you win.   I didn't know that, and when I upgraded to TH7, suddenly most raids either weren't worth the effort, or were way too hard to be competitive.  Sit at level 6 until most everything is upgraded.  True, level 7 gives you another camp, which means you have 40 more guys to throw into raids and that helps.. but the raids are worth so much less.

3. Naturally, your raids have a cost.  Example ..10 giants cost you 15,000 elixir.  No point in attacking someone with less than 15,000, as you have little to gain.  

4. Gems .. if you don't mind spending real $$, do what you wish.  If you do, never spend gems on "speeding things up".  Admittedly, I invested $10 in gems and bought two builders.  That helps you get things started quickly .. after a few months, though, I'll often have a builder or two not working because you won't have enough elixir to get them working, so they sit unused.

Any other tips from players?

I agree with your tips.  I am also at town hall 7 and don't plan to go to 8 even if I have to.  

Some of my tips:
1. If you attack fairly often, you don't need many or high level elixir or gold collectors because you get a lot more loot from attacks.  Plus, I believe that full resource collectors attrack people to attack you.  On the other hand, if you don't attack very often, make sure to upgrade your collectors.

2. Try to always keep one builder free.  You can then upgrade your walls whenever you want.  

3. Place traps/mines etc. inside your walls and place them in small passageways where giants will pass.

4. Try to get the third builder as soon as you can.  You can do this by getting an additional 500 gems from achievements.

5. You can get more loot by dropping trophies.  But, it's much harder to steal dark elixir because not many people have it with fewer trophies.  

6. Be selective on who you attack.  I will sometimes go through 40 or 50 villages to find the right one.  The right one is usually one with the collectors completely full.  Look at the elixir collectors, they inidicate if they are full or not.

7.  Use the revenge feature on a occasion.  It's nice to steal back the stuff they stole from you!  

There's a ton more but these's are the one's off the top of my head.
1993 MU Engineering Grad

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 09:18:59 AM »
1. Especially at higher TH levels, the revenge feature is a cheap (free) way to choose who you want to raid.  Scout the guys who have attacked you, look at their gold/elixir storages, etc.  You don't have to waste 600-700 gold a pop passing on random villages you don't want to attack.

2. Through TH8, maximizing the number of builders speeds up your progress exponentially... I have four builders and they were always working until I got to TH8, then it dropped to 2 or 3 at a time, and now at TH9 (on verge of TH10), I've got 3 of 4 builders sitting idle at any given time since it takes me a week or more to build up the 3.5-5M gold needed for a building/defense upgrade.  I still recommend 3 or 4 builders early on, though.

3. Use obstacles (trees, bushes, etc.) and decorations strategically to "distract" attacks on your village.  Decorations are more of a psychological barrier since you can drop troops on them and/or the troops walk right through them, but troops can't walk through obstacles... especially with defending against wall breakers, the extra half second it takes them to walk around an obstacle might be just enough time for your tower or cannon to finish him off.

4. When I'm in non-war or "resource preservation" mode, I keep my TH on the outside of my walls.  It's an easy attack for trophy hunters who will only take 1,000 gold & elixir, and gives you a 12 hour shield.

5. Place your clan castles and heroes nearest to the center as possible.  You don't want your castle troops or heroes to be triggered until the attacking troops are engaged with buildings/defenses.  Especially important during clan wars.

6.  Make sure that every defense is within strike range of at least one extra defense.  Put "splash" defenses (cannons, wizard towers, etc.) behind the "front line" of archer towers and cannons... if possible make sure your storages are within strike range of wizard towers to protect against goblin attacks.

7. Army camps generally have the highest HP of buildings... put them within range of an archer tower so that you can maximize kills while opposing troops are distracted with such time-consuming attacks.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:21:02 AM by Benny B »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 09:52:41 AM »
5. Place your clan castles and heroes nearest to the center as possible.  You don't want your castle troops or heroes to be triggered until the attacking troops are engaged with buildings/defenses.  Especially important during clan wars.

Are you sure about that "especially during clan wars" bit?  Maybe I'm getting the terminology wrong, but I thought clan wars have only been going on for about 10 days now.   It seems as if there are two troop donation "banks" .. the clan castle and the war troops.  I would think if your castle troops were triggered, it wouldn't affect your war troop bank, even during a defense.  No?

Otherwise .. good tips, hadn't thought about some of that.