[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting "traditional" tweet  (Read 6951 times)

BallBoy

• All American
Interesting "traditional" tweet
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:27:37 PM »
Brian Snow tweeted this on the topic.

Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout  5m
I keep reading that basketball players are less skilled than 30 yrs ago, yet I keep watching games and saying "Damn these dudes are skilled"

Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout  2m
I think people equate more athletic to less skilled. It just isn't reality. They are now more athletic and as skilled if not more skilled

So it looks like Athletes and Traditionals can intermix. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Interesting "traditional" tweet
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:00:12 PM »
Less fundamentals, I believe.

You can have some skills but not have the fundamentals of them.
Athleticism helps to cover or make up the difference.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:28:49 PM »
Less fundamentals, I believe.

You can have some skills but not have the fundamentals of them.
Athleticism helps to cover or make up the difference.

You know "athletic" is code for one group as "studious" or "industrious" is code for ours.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:38:26 PM »

You know "athletic" is code for one group as "studious" or "industrious" is code for ours.

I finally know who you are, Keefe!

But I thought you were dead!
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 01:21:19 AM »
I think that high school, college and NBA players are way more skilled than they were 20 years ago.  Really I don't think it is very close.

Go look at games from back then.  It is a noticeable difference.

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »
...So it looks like Athletes and Traditionals can intermix...

I think there are still laws against this in a few southern states.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:55:56 AM »
A couple major differences.  Ball handlers are allowed to carry the ball now.  What is standard dribbling now was not allowed 40 years ago.  On the flip side, referees are much more lenient when it comes to allowing defenders to reach in for the steal.

The other big difference in skill set, at least to me, is that the pull up jumper is a lost art.  Back in the day most guards could start a drive and pull up quickly anywhere from 6-15 feet and take a solid jumper.  It seems that the 3 point line and the desire to get to the foul line has led to guys either firing from long range or taking it all the way to the rim, with the pull-up jumper disappearing from most players arsenals.

Also, defensive techniques and footwork are much improved over the last 40 years.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »
A couple major differences.  Ball handlers are allowed to carry the ball now.  What is standard dribbling now was not allowed 40 years ago.  On the flip side, referees are much more lenient when it comes to allowing defenders to reach in for the steal.

The other big difference in skill set, at least to me, is that the pull up jumper is a lost art.  Back in the day most guards could start a drive and pull up quickly anywhere from 6-15 feet and take a solid jumper.  It seems that the 3 point line and the desire to get to the foul line has led to guys either firing from long range or taking it all the way to the rim, with the pull-up jumper disappearing from most players arsenals.

Also, defensive techniques and footwork are much improved over the last 40 years.

I think the latter has impacted the jumper. The kids are longer and will contest shots more.

Everytime I see a jumper in old films, I usually see the guy just stand there looking with/without his arms challenging the shot.
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 01:50:16 PM »
Also, when you watch NBA and college games from 30 + years ago, the defensive rotations are not nearly as sophisticated.   Prior to the 3pt line, you would just see sagging and clogging of the middle.    Now, the switches and rotations are much more elaborate.    Agreed on the close outs.   You would see teams work for the 17 ft jumper, which would be nearly uncontested.  Think Sikma, Laimbeer, Bernard King.   The Lakers, Celtics, and 76ers played good man to man, but it wasn't until the Bad Boys that you really saw sophisticated switches and help.    A lot of that came thanks to Jordan.    And yes, they were far more physical than is permitted today.   Many would double the post, but the Pistons were the first to always send a second player at a scoring wing or point.   
  Even watching the 77 championship game, look at how simple the man schemes are.    Look at how basic Al's zone was.    And yet it changed the flow of the game.     Because of the shot clock and the 3 pt shot, defenses at the college level are far more sophisticated.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »

This   is   why   Mayo's   pull-up   jumper   is   so   valuable.          Hopefully   he   has   noticed    that   it's   easier   to   pull   up   for   an   easy   2   rather   than   trying   to   get   all   the   way   to   the   hoop.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 08:42:29 AM »
Yet a "dime a dozen" guard like Steph Curry can excel in the NBA, because of shooting; not athletics.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:44:48 AM by Knight Commission »

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 10:00:29 AM »
Yet a "dime a dozen" guard like Steph Curry can excel in the NBA, because of shooting; not athletics.

Speaking of Curry's shooting, a couple of those shots he hit at the end of the game last night were insane.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »
Not as smart as players used to be. That's my opinion. Maybe more skilled and certainly more athletic. But I can't tell you how many times I shake my head at the lack of rudimentary basketball strategy knowledge some players have.

feedback