[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

NCAA Ticket Strategy by MU82
[March 18, 2024, 10:06:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Off-campus houses  (Read 7600 times)

Boone

• All American
Off-campus houses
« on: April 23, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »
After seeing Animal House in the summer of '78, I resolved that if I ever went to college I'd HAVE to live in a house.

Thankfully, my friends @MU freshmen and sophomore years shared the same vision, so the last 2 years ('85-'87) we rented houses on 18th St. between Kilbourn and State. I wasn't disappointed. There was always something going on at our houses -- even if it wasn't a party. Other friends who lived in apartments, sensed it, too, and visited so often they should have chipped in for rent.

To me, living in an old, decaying, character-filled house with 9 other idiots, who buried their dirty dishes in the backyard snow to avoid cleaning them, positioned coeds in skirts to a hole in the floor covered by a towel during parties, where friends in the basement could sneak a peak, was the true college experience.

Even now, on those rare occasions when I visit campus, I make it a point to drive around to see if the old houses are still occupied and haven't been razed and replaced by more of the antiseptic, cookie-cutter apartments that seem to be encroaching the neighborhoods. Always makes me smile, when I see kids hanging out on their front porch, a keg in the corner, carrying on the tradition.

Curious if anyone else felt the same about houses vs. apartment living. If so, what houses did you live in?

tower912

• All American
Re: Off-campus houses
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:06:55 PM »
21st and Michigan.   There was a row of 5 houses on the north side of the street.   Upper half of a house with 5 other guys.   Nice porch, from which we would routinely pee for distance, trying to reach the sidewalk. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:51:06 PM »
After seeing Animal House in the summer of '78, I resolved that if I ever went to college I'd HAVE to live in a house.

Thankfully, my friends @MU freshmen and sophomore years shared the same vision, so the last 2 years ('85-'87) we rented houses on 18th St. between Kilbourn and State. I wasn't disappointed. There was always something going on at our houses -- even if it wasn't a party. Other friends who lived in apartments, sensed it, too, and visited so often they should have chipped in for rent.

To me, living in an old, decaying, character-filled house with 9 other idiots, who buried their dirty dishes in the backyard snow to avoid cleaning them, positioned coeds in skirts to a hole in the floor covered by a towel during parties, where friends in the basement could sneak a peak, was the true college experience.

Even now, on those rare occasions when I visit campus, I make it a point to drive around to see if the old houses are still occupied and haven't been razed and replaced by more of the antiseptic, cookie-cutter apartments that seem to be encroaching the neighborhoods. Always makes me smile, when I see kids hanging out on their front porch, a keg in the corner, carrying on the tradition.

Curious if anyone else felt the same about houses vs. apartment living. If so, what houses did you live in?

I happen to live between Kil and State on 18th right now.  What address were you at?
Maigh Eo for Sam

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:00:23 PM »
Thankfully, my friends @MU freshmen and sophomore years shared the same vision, so the last 2 years ('85-'87) we rented houses on 18th St. between Kilbourn and State.

I lived a block north, at 822 N. 18th.  At the time, the only two homes on the block which weren't boarded up were 822 and the townies who lived next door to the north.  Across the street was a homeless mission, (probably still is).

I lived in a large bedroom on the first floor.  During finals week in the Spring of my junior year, the weather was finally nice enough to open the windows.  I set an alarm a good two hours before my exam to finally start studying.  Naturally, I hit snooze repeatedly.  After the seventh or so snooze, a homeless gentlemen yelled through my window, "You better wake up!  You're gonna be late!"

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:33:59 PM »
18th and the alley just south of State.  Chris Ganos (red door) the landlord.  That was '84-85.

17th and one house south of Kilbourne (the Red House) in '85-86.

Best of friends and best of times.  Too many stories to recount here (including our version of your dirty dishes).

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:36:49 PM »
I lived a block north, at 822 N. 18th.  At the time, the only two homes on the block which weren't boarded up were 822 and the townies who lived next door to the north.  Across the street was a homeless mission, (probably still is).

I lived in a large bedroom on the first floor.  During finals week in the Spring of my junior year, the weather was finally nice enough to open the windows.  I set an alarm a good two hours before my exam to finally start studying.  Naturally, I hit snooze repeatedly.  After the seventh or so snooze, a homeless gentlemen yelled through my window, "You better wake up!  You're gonna be late!"

18th north of State was untrodden territory in my day (class of '86) -don't think anyone lived there.  Only time we crossed State was to go to OP's.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
18th north of State was untrodden territory in my day (class of '86) -don't think anyone lived there.  Only time we crossed State was to go to OP's.

We chose to not risk the crossing, and went no further than Good Time Charlie's.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »

You're absolutely right, and I'm absolutely wrong.  I lived south of State, (which is one of the main reasons I'm still alive to type this).

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
The Lighthouse was on 15th, 120 steps from OD's. We had 10 Half barrels every weekend first semester of Junior year, either Friday or Saturday and sometimes both days. 

Another fun fact was there was a hot chick who lived in the apartment next door. If the lights were off in a bedroom upstairs in our house, we could watch her in various stages of undress/sexual acts.

Our house stories about mice and rats would have any MU alum on the floor laughing.  Good times.  Good times.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:57:13 PM »
Bagpiper, we lived at 912 and 946 (I believe).

Lloyd, I think we were the next tenants in the 946 house after you. It was the last house on the block heading north and an alley ran next to it. There was a club on the corner that blared jazz music deep into the night.

Ganos was our slumlord, too. During a party a water pipe in the upstairs bathroom broke. He accused us of breaking the pipe by swinging from it and screamed 'Are you f*ckers on drugs?'    

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:04:41 PM »
Bagpiper, we lived at 912 and 946 (I believe).

Lloyd, I think we were the next tenants in the 946 house after you. It was the last house on the block heading north and an alley ran next to it. There was a club on the corner that blared jazz music deep into the night.

Ganos was our slumlord, too. During a party a water pipe in the upstairs bathroom broke. He accused us of breaking the pipe by swinging from it and screamed 'Are you f*ckers on drugs?'    

Haha I happen to be living next door to where you lived but currently watching the Blackhawks game in what used to be your living room.  I can promise you they have lived up to your expectations and so did whoever lived here when I was a freshman in 09-10
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:31:46 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:21:55 PM »
Of the many great Ganos stories, my favorite had to be when we moved in, the gas literally was not connected, and had a notice on the furnace from the gas company saying it didn't meet code.  We pointed that put to Chris, who said, "no worry, guys, I hook it up."  And he did.  I gess we are still alive because we didn't turn the heat on un til Novemeber, and the airflow was still powerful enough with the windows closed that CO leaks had no effect.

That club on the corner was mostly a local joint-kind of a date spot, but we headed over there a few times.

Remember the garbage trucks parked behind the house all the time??

Bagpiper--Hawks game now killing me--why so many goals at the end of period end of games??

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 10:32:29 PM »
Of the many great Ganos stories, my favorite had to be when we moved in, the gas literally was not connected, and had a notice on the furnace from the gas company saying it didn't meet code.  We pointed that put to Chris, who said, "no worry, guys, I hook it up."  And he did.  I gess we are still alive because we didn't turn the heat on un til Novemeber, and the airflow was still powerful enough with the windows closed that CO leaks had no effect.

That club on the corner was mostly a local joint-kind of a date spot, but we headed over there a few times.

Remember the garbage trucks parked behind the house all the time??

Bagpiper--Hawks game now killing me--why so many goals at the end of period end of games??

I don't know! Especially after a shut out last game!!!!!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Boone

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »
Yes, Lloyd, I remember those trucks. Think they parked by that 'Municipal Services' shed (the would-be name of our band, had we shown some initiative to actually form one). Between the 10 of us, we had only one car, parked across from the shed. The first nite, the housemate who owned it made the mistake of not locking it up and it got broken into. It was stripped clean, including the tape deck. The next nite, he locked it and it was busted into again and the only contents remaining -- a 6-pack of Coke -- was stolen.

When you lived there did anyone sleep in a room the size of a large walk-in closet on the east side of the building on the 2nd floor? Somehow, that was my bedroom. I shoehorned a twin bed and a dresser in there, but it was worth it to pay a little less rent than the others. 

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 11:05:11 PM »
Yes, Lloyd, I remember those trucks. Think they parked by that 'Municipal Services' shed (the would-be name of our band, had we shown some initiative to actually form one). Between the 10 of us, we had only one car, parked across from the shed. The first nite, the housemate who owned it made the mistake of not locking it up and it got broken into. It was stripped clean, including the tape deck. The next nite, he locked it and it was busted into again and the only contents remaining -- a 6-pack of Coke -- was stolen.

When you lived there did anyone sleep in a room the size of a large walk-in closet on the east side of the building on the 2nd floor? Somehow, that was my bedroom. I shoehorned a twin bed and a dresser in there, but it was worth it to pay a little less rent than the others. 

Yes--same deal for us--the guy (my best friend to this day) who spent a semester in Rome got that room and lower rent.   How about the slab in the basement where you has to walk over the dirt floor to get to it- bathroom down there never worked.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 12:07:41 AM »
One guy slept in the bat cave. Kind of creepy down there.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »
Junior & Senior year ('89 - '91) I shared an apartment on W. Kilbourn next to the alleyway between 15th & 16th Street.  House is since torn down and I think the lot is still vacant.  Looks like the alley that connected to Wells is now partially occupied by Campus Town Apartments.  We used to borrow a snow fence that seemed to float around campus and have parties in our backyard parking lot in conjunction with the next door ROTC House .  When it was decent outside we'd hold smaller parties on our sizeable front porch.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.041627,-87.932002,3a,75y,181.88h,82.47t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s7xfMG9XgqA45QnW4RwUKhQ!2e0

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:43:15 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 08:06:38 AM »
I just did Google street view out of curiosity and in an ironic twist the building next door says "The Ritz Luxury Apartments."  It was anything but when I was there as it was full of retirees, screwballs, rednecks and ex-cons.  Times have changed.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »
841 N. 19th - 1992-1994

Google Street view
https://www.google.com/maps/place/841+N+19th+St/@43.041241,-87.936631,3a,90y,265.79h,96.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sDTHNvNNqS7KQvnBqzKcGZA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88051bd4eba85a89:0x53d2d8855681962b!6m1!1e1

There was most certainly not a playground when I lived there.  Used to have keg races in that open lot.  Place was such a sh!thole.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »
841 N. 19th - 1992-1994

Google Street view
https://www.google.com/maps/place/841+N+19th+St/@43.041241,-87.936631,3a,90y,265.79h,96.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sDTHNvNNqS7KQvnBqzKcGZA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88051bd4eba85a89:0x53d2d8855681962b!6m1!1e1

There was most certainly not a playground when I lived there.  Used to have keg races in that open lot.  Place was such a sh!thole.

Can see my former apartment building on the left behind the playground.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 02:27:12 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 02:35:57 PM »
Could anyone tell me the origins of the 16 foot flip cup table in the basement of 914/916 it was painted turquoise.  Just wondering how long that was down there for.  It was just demolished this year.
Maigh Eo for Sam