[March 18, 2024, 11:12:52 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Northwestern football players to vote on union Friday  (Read 158778 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Northwestern football players to vote on union Friday
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:19:21 AM »
This can be a game changer for both football and basketball.

Northwestern football players to vote on union Friday

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-northwestern-football-union-vote-20140422,0,4342638.story

8:15 a.m. CDT, April 23, 2014
Northwestern University football players are scheduled to vote Friday morning on whether they want to be represented by a union.

Northwestern, which is a private university, is not allowing reporters on campus at Welsh-Ryan Arena, where the vote will take place, citing the players' wishes to avoid media attention.
Peter Sung Ohr, regional director of the National Labor Relations Board, ruled in February that Northwestern's football players on athletic scholarships are university employees, setting the stage for the election.

For the College Athletes Players Association, or CAPA, to bargain on behalf of the players, the majority of the football players voting would have to side with the union.

In total, 76 players are eligible to vote, but they are not required to do so.

During football practices earlier this month, the players were uncomfortable with questions about unionization. Some players ducked the media. Some referred questions to Kain Colter, NU’s former quarterback and the face of the unionization campaign.

Others publicly criticized the effort.

Quarterback Trevor Siemian said he no longer believes a union is the right avenue and that he should have gathered more information before signing a union card in January.

"This all began with the best of intentions," Siemian said during a practice. He added that the players should have taken their concerns to coach Pat Fitzgerald and/or the school's athletic director, Jim Phillips.

Fitzgerald has encouraged the football players to vote against the union.

Earlier this month, the school appealed Ohr’s ruling to the NLRB in Washington. In the appeal, which is known as a request for review, Northwestern argued that Ohr mischaracterized, slanted and ignored relevant facts, such as the evidence of Northwestern's primary commitment to education of all its student-athletes.

The union contended that Ohr's decision was meticulously and carefully reasoned. It added that the school's accusations were unfounded and that many of the supposed errors and omissions the university attributes to Ohr do not qualify for review under NLRB rules.

If the NLRB grants Northwestern's request, both parties would have the opportunity to file more documents in support of their positions. The board would then affirm, modify or reverse the ruling.

The election could be delayed if the NLRB accepts the request before Friday, but that's unlikely. After the election takes place, the ballots will remain secret until the board makes a final decision on the appeal.
The case eventually could be resolved in federal court.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Northwestern football players to vote on union Friday
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:33:43 AM »
I'm going to say they vote no

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:08:42 PM »

You might be correct.  I think they approve it but it will be close.

And if NU says no, the union movement is set back but not killed.  They will try at another school (most stories suggest Georgia Tech will be next up)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 02:32:53 PM »
Just when you thought Trade Unionism was dead...

Athletes of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your scholarships!

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »

Doesn't matter anymore - the schools will take things into their own hands and the players will get what they were seeking when they attempted to unionize.

The threat of unionizing will accomplish their purpose.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »
Doesn't matter anymore - the schools will take things into their own hands and the players will get what they were seeking when they attempted to unionize.

Have to agree with this. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »

Much of it already in the works, but we'll see.  If you truly believe what you are saying, then all that has to happen is the players threaten to unionize every Summer....how long do you think that lasts?  It's not indefinite, you can't give and give and give and give, but then again unions have refused to learn that lesson for a 100 years to their detriment. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:16:27 PM »
Much of it already in the works, but we'll see.  If you truly believe what you are saying, then all that has to happen is the players threaten to unionize every Summer....how long do you think that lasts?  It's not indefinite, you can't give and give and give and give, but then again unions have refused to learn that lesson for a 100 years to their detriment. 

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 03:34:32 PM »

Taking things to the extreme much? You've made up a brand new argument here - and it has nothing to do with what the players are asking.

There is no reason to think the college players will increase demands every year because they asked for something one time.

Your hatred of unions isn't allowing you to think straight on this.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 03:57:07 PM »
"Probably the saddest thing you'll ever see is a mosquito sucking on a mummy.  Forget it, little friend."

-Jack Handey (1997, The Lost Deep Thoughts)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brandx

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »

And the middle class wonders why their numbers have dwindled so much. Unions have become like most Dems - afraid to take a stand so they don't offend anyone.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
Taking things to the extreme much? You've made up a brand new argument here - and it has nothing to do with what the players are asking.

There is no reason to think the college players will increase demands every year because they asked for something one time.

Your hatred of unions isn't allowing you to think straight on this.

I don't hate unions...my wife is a member of a union.  I hate the rules in place for unions, such as forcing their dues to be spent on things that many in the membership don't support. 

As for your first two points, it is human nature and as sure as the day is long this will happen.  You can say demands won't increase, but that would buck what we've seen in the marketplace for many years.  Is it every year, perhaps not.  Will there be this tool to threaten in the future, sure as hell yes.  That's how it works, until management puts an end to it or the business goes under.  The whole point of the union is to push for greater yields.  So to suggest there is no reason to think this will happen, quite frankly is laughable in my opinion.  It's all a matter of time...some "great injustice" has to be complained about and leveraged.  As some people say, "never let a crisis go to waste"...especially when you can make up a fake crisis whenever you wish.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »
my wife is a member of a union

The making of the MU Quilt

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 06:08:29 PM »

They sure work harder than some of the American kids do today!
SS Marquette

brandx

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 07:47:40 PM »

That's too funny. I've been in some of those places.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:19 PM »

LOL.  Good one.  She was a member of the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, though she has not supported many of the "initiatives" her dues went to support.  I suppose I should use the former now since she has been a stay at home mom now for quite some time, but was a member of that union for well over a decade.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »
LOL.  Good one.  She was a member of the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, though she has not supported many of the "initiatives" her dues went to support.  I suppose I should use the former now since she has been a stay at home mom now for quite some time, but was a member of that union for well over a decade.

In other words, no union to stand in the way of getting the quilts done.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »
In other words, no union to stand in the way of getting the quilts done.

Chico: "When will that quilt ever get done? I can't believe I married you! No DirecTV for you tonight!"

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 09:52:54 PM »
They sure work harder than some of the American kids do today!

My American kid can't even get a job today at traditional teen related jobs because they are all filled by 30 year olds with questionable citizenship.  Progress.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 09:54:15 PM »
Chico: "When will that quilt ever get done? I can't believe I married you! No DirecTV for you tonight!"

It's done...I posted pictures of it.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41541.msg587311#msg587311

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 11:31:07 PM »
It's done...I posted pictures of it.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41541.msg587311#msg587311

That is really, really cool. You found a keeper in that one, JD.

I love how the ND square jumps off the bed.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 12:55:38 PM »
Presented without comment

Oklahoma Athletic Director Gets $30,000 for Gymnastics Titles
2014-04-24 17:45:08.354 GMT
By Eben Novy-Williams

April 24 (Bloomberg) -- University of Oklahoma Athletic Director Joe Castiglione received $30,000 in bonuses tied to the postseason success of the women’s gymnastics team, a program that lost more than $1.5 million last year.

The Sooners won the Big 12 title in March, their sixth in seven years, and shared the National Collegiate Athletic Association championship last weekend. The program was one of four women’s gymnastics teams whose expenses outpaced revenue by more than $1.5 million in the year ended June 30, according to data schools submit to the U.S. Department of Education.

Castiglione, who is being paid a $905,000 guaranteed salary this year, was unavailable to comment, according to athletics spokesman Pete Moris. An e-mail sent to university President David Boren’s office wasn’t returned.

Castiglione’s contract, obtained through open records laws, includes bonuses of $10,000 for the gymnastics team’s conference title, and $20,000 for the NCAA championship.

“‘We try to say college sports isn’t a business, and yet we let athletic directors operate like for-profit CEOs with all this incentive pay,” said David Ridpath, a sports administration professor at Ohio University. Ridpath is president-elect of the Drake Group, a collection of university faculty members who since 1999 have called for reform of an athletic system that they say prioritizes money over academics.

Castiglione isn’t the only athletic director to have bonuses tied to the performance of money-losing teams. Ohio State University’s Gene Smith received an $18,086 bonus -- one week of his $940,000 base salary -- when wrestler Logan Stieber won his weight class at the NCAA championship in March. The wrestling program lost $805,000 in fiscal 2013. California’s Sandy Barbour got a $10,423 bonus -- 2.5 percent of her $416,931 base salary -- for the men’s NCAA swimming and diving title last month. Those programs lost a combined $534,000.

Only Oklahoma

Oklahoma is the only school to reward its athletic director for a women’s gymnastics title among the NCAA’s top- five ranked programs, according to a review of of contracts at the schools.

Lawsuits over use of players’ images and claiming antitrust violations as well as an effort by Northwestern University football players to unionize have led to new scrutiny of college sports.

In current broadcast contracts alone, the NCAA and the five richest conferences are guaranteed more than $31 billion. That doesn’t include other sources of revenue such as sponsorship, merchandise sales, ticket sales and booster donations.

“The only reason we’re able to pay out those salaries and incentives for a gymnastics team’s performance is because we’re suppressing the earning power of the labor, so the system itself is broken,” Ridpath, a former assistant wrestling coach at Ohio, said in a telephone interview. “I know $30,000 for some of these programs would be fantastic. Let’s help out the students.”

$100,000 Bonuses

Heading into this academic year, Sooners teams had won eight national championships and 60 conference titles under Castiglione, who has been with the Norman, Oklahoma, school since 1998. He was named Athletic Director of the Year in 2009 by the Sports Business Journal. Oklahoma’s intercollegiate sports programs turned a $17.5 million profit in the year ended June 30, according to the Department of Education data.

Castiglione this year received $40,000 for the football team’s participation in the Sugar Bowl and $25,000 for the men’s basketball team’s berth in the NCAA tournament. Both those programs made money in fiscal 2013, according to the U.S.
Department of Education.

More Bonuses

He also received a $10,000 bonus for the men’s gymnastics team’s conference title and a $25,000 bonus for the postseason participation of the women’s basketball team, which lost $3.1 million last year. Castiglione’s contract also includes a $10,000 bonus tied to graduation rates.

Oklahoma women’s gymnastics coach K.J. Kindler and her two assistants each received a total bonus of 40 percent of their base salaries for winning the Big 12 and NCAA titles. For Kindler, who is paid $175,000, those bonuses totaled $70,000.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »
Why do bonuses bother you?  He or she is the CEO of the athletic department?  If the program performs well, wins championships, graduates, etc, they are rewarded.  In a world where the GM, coach, etc in sports gets you fired if you lose, shouldn't winning in sports get you rewarded? 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 02:31:40 PM »
Sounds like Castiglione is doing a great job guiding the OU sports programs. He should be rewarded for at the highest level in his profession. It would be a refreshing change to watch a Marquette AD register such results rather than being upset about the cheers being used by students who are supporting their team.

Rather than criticize Castiglione I would ask what will it take to poach him from OU to MU?

Death on call

caltruda

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »
Castiglione isn't the only AD who gets bonuses for student-athletes who get individual NCAA awards in non-revenue sports. Ohio State's Gene Smith pocketed $18K for a wrestler winning this season. There was much outcry then, too.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/03/ohio_state_ad_gene_smiths_1800.html

feedback