[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ellenson brother package to MU?  (Read 26895 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Re: Ellenson brother package to MU?
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
If Wally is serious about competing in track, he is probably better off where he is at. Minnesota being a big ten school has the necessary facilities. If MU were ever to get an indoor field-house it would be a different story. It is a great concept to have him come here and bring the brother. I guess it would depend on how much the two brothers want to play on the same team.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »
McGuire used to love transfers, because thry were not going to transfer again.

Now we're seeing the ill effects of the graduate transfer rule - using a scholarship for the year sitting out, making enough progress to graduate, and transferring again without sitting out.  I think it's a great rule to reward kids for academics, but it should not be extended to those who have already transferred.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 09:38:52 AM »
I think Wally could play at MU. Henry bigger and more important, but I'd sign up to take them both if it led to getting Henry. As I've said before, don't think they get a ton of coaching in HS, so I think they could both bloom at the next level.
GO WARRIORS!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »
My source is Joe True from a couple of years ago. Each non-basketball sport has a certain number of full-scholarship equivalents to hand out, and they have chosen to split them up into partials.

Even if they did decide to give a guy a full-ride scholly in track and let him walk on to basketball, I am sure the NCAA would see right through that.

I knew a guy who ran Cross Country & Track and I remember at the time he said he said he had a partial scholarship.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »
I knew a guy who ran Cross Country & Track and I remember at the time he said he said he had a partial scholarship.

Most athletes in non-revenue sports are on partial scholarships.  The sport gets a certain amount of money in Scholarship aid to divide up among all the kids. 

In fact it would not surprise me in some sports if no one is getting a full-ride.  At best the top 1 to 3 athletes (all grades) might be getting a full ride but that's about it.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »
Really don't care for this move. We'll be tying up a precious scholarship for 3 years on a scrub on the remote chance that we'll land his stud brother. Smell the  desperation.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 11:58:05 AM »
Who said that we would only recruit Wally to get Henry?  Maybe Wojo thinks that Wally alone is worth the scholarship.  And who said we are even recruiting Wally outside of this tweet?

Boone

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 12:01:53 PM »
Why else would we want Wally? Has to be part of a package. On his own he's definitely not worth it. I'd have serious reservations about Wojo if that's not the case.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 12:04:36 PM »
I'd have much more serious reservations if he is only doing this in an attempt to land his brother.  IMO if he isn't worth the scholarship on his own, don't give it to him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »
I'd have much more serious reservations if he is only doing this in an attempt to land his brother.  IMO if he isn't worth the scholarship on his own, don't give it to him.

+1
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Boone

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 12:45:29 PM »
Wally doesn't seem to have much game at all. Don't know why we'd want to tie up a scholarship for 3 years on him if there wasn't a string attached.

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »
I just don't see why Henry would pick Marquette over Duke, UW or MSU. Maybe playing with his brother is that important.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 05:27:53 PM »
I just don't see why Henry would pick Marquette over Duke, UW or MSU. Maybe playing with his brother is that important.

Of course, this is coming from the troller from the UW boards..... ::)

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 06:54:07 PM »
Hey Wally Ellenson is not a bad player. Athletic and he is a threat shooting. He is listed at 6-5.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 07:26:52 PM »
He can get a full ride for track and field and then be a "walk on" to the basketball team and not use a basketball scholarship.

Vicious lie, as others have stated.

There is a hierarchy and it's clear in the D-I Manual. Football is at the top, then it's basketball, men's ice hockey, chick's volleyball... then down to certain men's "water sports".. and the rest get lumped in together from there.

As for Wally, don't pay much attention his stats at Minnesota. He never got a chance. Also, broke his finger in the fall of his freshman year.. from there, things just didn't work out. Over the years I've seen him do amazing things on the court. Hard worker and ultra-athletic for a trad. Has 3-point range but very aggressive and can attack the rim. High flyer. All over the offensive boards.

He and his two brothers were "Warriors" together at Rice Lake HS and all played with D1 Minnesota AAU (fka Minnesota Pump N Run).
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2014, 07:27:17 PM »
I just don't see why Henry would pick Marquette over Duke, UW or MSU.

You might want to ask Vander Blue. ::)

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2014, 07:36:38 PM »
Who said that we would only recruit Wally to get Henry?  Maybe Wojo thinks that Wally alone is worth the scholarship.  And who said we are even recruiting Wally outside of this tweet?

I've heard that the recruitment of the Hauser kid up at SPASH is driven largely by the fact that his little brother is a better prospect and the hope for a package as well.  Speculation? BS? That is not for us to know and the Interweb is all about conjecture!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 07:41:20 PM »

Yes, the WI inferiority complex in full bloom for the spring.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
Hey Wally Ellenson is not a bad player. Athletic and he is a threat shooting. He is listed at 6-5.

Yeah, I think you guys need to get it out of your head that he's some sort of D2 player.  He's not.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »
Pretty sure Marquette does not give out full ride track scholarships. The only sport does is basketball.

No full scholarships for soccer?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:05 PM »
Wally doesn't seem to have much game at all. Don't know why we'd want to tie up a scholarship for 3 years on him if there wasn't a string attached.

With his jumping ability, he could be the next Jim Dudley, a/k/a Cloud Piercer.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »
Correct.  Can't hide guys in the olympic sports. 

Is buryin' the one eyed snake still an Olympic sport?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 09:03:25 PM »

Is buryin' the one eyed snake still an Olympic sport?

Blind Snake

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »
Blind Snake

Well, I'll be damned.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:20 AM »
With his jumping ability, he could be the next Jim Dudley, a/k/a Cloud Piercer.

Hey Dudley helped win a key tournament game, Wake Forest I think, on the 77 road to the championship.
Have the brother do the opening tip, like Otule.
Doesn't 6'3" Pat Smith still hold the single game rebound record for the Warriors?

feedback