[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marial Shayok to Virginia  (Read 17137 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Marial Shayok to Virginia
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:41:47 PM »
Just tweeted news-

Marial Shayok ‏@supermarial03  · 5m 
Happy to announce I've committed to the University of Virginia!

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Marial Shayok to Virginia
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »
Hard to hate his choice.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:49:21 PM »
Wojo will need to develop his own Marquette recruits .  This was pretty much expected. hopefully he is focusing on Horford and other transfer big men for 2014.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »
I woulda traded Curly straight up for Bennett 6 years ago.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:06:14 PM »
Hard to argue with this choice on many levels. UVA is an outstanding university. It is everything VPI is not.

Death on call

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 09:12:35 PM »
Good luck to him. Hope he enjoys his education there.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »
He did not make a bad choice. Would have been nice to have here.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 09:52:24 PM »
Isn't there supposed to be a 'Tech' after Virginia?

Shayok was connected to Buzz via Jamie McNeilly. What's up with Jamie? Where has he landed?
SS Marquette

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »

Shayok was connected to Buzz via Jamie McNeilly. What's up with Jamie? Where has he landed?

Jamie's at VT. Capacity TBD.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:46:29 PM »
I woulda traded Curly straight up for Bennett 6 years ago.

Bennett is a good coach, but going into this past season, he had not accomplished enough to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Buzz, who was coming off S16-S16-E8 and a second heralded recruiting class.

In 2012-13, Bennett's fourth season at Virginia, many considered his team a major disappointment, following up his first NCAA appearance there by only making the NIT. Had the same thing happened here in Buzz's fourth year, Scoop woulda gone batpoop.

Obviously, Bennett outcoached a whole lotta folks last season, including Buzzard. But with 5 NCAA tournament wins in 8 years as a coach, and a Sweet 16 loss as a No. 1 seed last season, let's not make him out to be the next Al -- or even Bo -- yet, OK?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 12:27:20 AM »
Bennett is a good coach, but going into this past season, he had not accomplished enough to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Buzz, who was coming off S16-S16-E8 and a second heralded recruiting class.

National coach of the year in 2007. That's a pretty nice award. How many of those has Buzz ever won? i think we could put Bennett in the same sentence.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 12:52:38 AM »
Jamie's at VT. Capacity TBD.

So much for the Canadian bond. I thought he'd follow Jamie and Buzz, too.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 01:06:01 AM »

In 2012-13, Bennett's fourth season at Virginia, many considered his team a major disappointment, following up his first NCAA appearance there by only making the NIT. Had the same thing happened here in Buzz's fourth year, Scoop woulda gone batpoop.

Obviously, Bennett outcoached a whole lotta folks last season, including Buzzard. But with 5 NCAA tournament wins in 8 years as a coach, and a Sweet 16 loss as a No. 1 seed last season, let's not make him out to be the next Al -- or even Bo -- yet, OK?

Tony ain't squirmy.  Let's wait until all the dust settles before we corronate Buzzard either.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 02:08:39 AM »
Tony ain't squirmy. 

And therein lies the difference

Death on call

goinUptown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 06:17:57 AM »
Tony ain't squirmy.  Let's wait until all the dust settles before we corronate Buzzard either.

When do you expect that we'll hear/be made to understand/become informed regarding that dust settling thing?   I keep reading implications here and elsewhere that there is more to the Buzzard story yet not a soul including the administration is airing that other side of the story.  Seems obvious to me that if he wasn't pushed out, the administration certainly held the door open for him on his way out.  Why?  And just as important, why hasn't "that side of the story" been aired?  After all, he provided some great, great basketball at MU and, at face value, seemingly held to MU's beliefs, values, etc...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 08:13:22 AM »
Best of luck Super Marial. Would have loved to see you in a Warrior's uniform
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »

I'm not "corronating" anybody. What in my comment wasn't a fact?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 08:29:29 AM »
National coach of the year in 2007. That's a pretty nice award. How many of those has Buzz ever won? i think we could put Bennett in the same sentence.

Tony Bennett's best coaching accomplishment to date: AP Coach of the Year Award (followed by a loss in the second round of the NCAA tournament).

Buzz Williams' best coaching accomplishment to date: Taking Marquette to Elite Eight (following two straight Sweet 16s).

Tom Crean's best coaching accomplishment to date: Taking Marquette to the Final Four.

Again, Bennett has had some success, but the man has made only 4 NCAA tourney appearances in 8 years and has won just 5 NCAA tourney games as a head coach. He has not won a game on the tournament's second weekend.

Compare that to the two former MU coaches we now love to hate.

Let's try to keep things in perspective: If Wojo stays here for 8 years but only makes the tourney 4 times, will we be calling him a great coach or will we be calling for his head?

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30:03 AM »
Thats actually a good, if not better fit for Shayok. Good luck to him

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30:46 AM »

Here's one sentence that mentions both Bennett and Buzz in the proper perspective:

Bennett has turned not just one, but two perennial also-rans into NCAA contenders, while Buzz took an NCAA contender and turned it into an also-ran.  

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30:55 AM »

McNeilly always struck me as a bit of a shady character.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 08:45:18 AM »
Here's one sentence that mentions both Bennett and Buzz in the proper perspective:

Bennett has turned not just one, but two perennial also-rans into NCAA contenders, while Buzz took an NCAA contender and turned it into an also-ran.  

Fair enough.

Look, I'm not in love with Buzz. I'm just trying to keep Bennett's accomplishments in perspective because there's a lot of love for a guy who has never won a game in the NCAA tournament's second weekend and who couldn't parlay a No. 1 seed into even a regional final.

Again, if Wojo makes only 4 NCAA tournament appearances in 8 years at Marquette, will the consensus here be that he is a great coach?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 08:52:47 AM »
I'm not "corronating" anybody. What in my comment wasn't a fact?

Didn't say anything wasn't factual, my point is there are a bunch of people here that are in the just win baby, turn a blind eye to anything else, etc.  In my view, that's a big part of the equation.  Lots of coaches win and you have to put a close pin on your nose as a result while others not only don't use the close pin but encourage the just win baby.  By the way, I'm not putting you either camp as I don't know where you are on that.

So it depends from what POV you come from. 

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »
Best of luck Super Marial. Would have loved to see you in a Warrior's uniform

Woahhhh wait.... I thought "Groin Pull" banned the use of Marial Shayok's nickname of "Super Marial"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 09:32:14 AM »
Didn't say anything wasn't factual, my point is there are a bunch of people here that are in the just win baby, turn a blind eye to anything else, etc.  In my view, that's a big part of the equation.  Lots of coaches win and you have to put a close pin on your nose as a result while others not only don't use the close pin but encourage the just win baby.  By the way, I'm not putting you either camp as I don't know where you are on that.

So it depends from what POV you come from.  

In my mind in the world of college basketball there is a huge area of grey in between this statement -- essentially crimes can range anywhere from speeding to murder right?

Without facts I personally have no idea where Buzz was on this spectrum - I know some have indicated they have them and some stories that push things further to the right -- but I don't have those facts.  I expect our coach to be competitve and not commit murder -- but my guess is if they are not speeding they are not winning.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:41:02 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »