[Today at 02:20:46 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Carlino  (Read 91908 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Matt Carlino
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2014, 09:07:08 AM »
My point is we have five guys right now that can play both/either the 1/2:  Derrick/Duane/Dawson/JJJ/Todd.  They have stuck together through the coaching loss.  We don't need another 1/2.  We need a 4/5. 
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »
No to Carlino.  He is not that good.  This would destroy the team chemistry (see Indiana Pacers trade Danny Granger).  Got to give Duane/Dawson/Derrick the reigns.

Not advocating for Carlino, but this isn't the right analogy.  The Pacers were one of the best teams in the league. We..... are not that.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2014, 09:34:36 AM »
My favorite transfer story involves Boylan. He went down to meet with Dean Smith and Smith works him out, is impressed, but also has Phil Ford on his roster. So Dean picks up the phone and calls Al. He asks Al, "Are you still looking for a PG?" When Al affirms Dean tells him, "Well, I have your next PG sitting right here. His name is Jimmy Boylan."

It was a different world back then. Al flew Boylan up to Milwaukee and signed him up. We win a Ship beating Dean Smith with Boylan at the helm. Pure poetry.
Well, that's not exactly true.  Boylan was a 1st or 2nd team HS AA who was heavily recruited by NC.  But, Boylan followed family roots to Div II Assumption.  After 2 years, he realized he needed to be on a bigger stage to further his BB career.

Then went to Dean Smith since he had been recruited by Smith.  But Smith/NC did not take transfers from 4 year schools.  Then, Smith called Al.  Phil Ford had nothing to do with it.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »
My point is we have five guys right now that can play both/either the 1/2:  Derrick/Duane/Dawson/JJJ/Todd.  They have stuck together through the coaching loss.  We don't need another 1/2.  We need a 4/5. 

That's a lot different then writing it "would destroy team chemistry".

I happen to think the 1/2 is quite unsettled. Derrick is no better than a 15 minute guy. Duane has never played college basketball. Dawson did nothing last year to provide any level we could rely on going forward. JJJ was benched for 1/3 of the season. And, Mayo is....well....Mayo.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2014, 09:45:36 AM »
I don't think adding a guard who shot 38.5% from the field with questionable shot selection is the answer, IMO.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Boone

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
Next year's going to be a rebuilding year anyway. Would rather see the youngsters get minutes and lay a foundation for 2015-16. Carlino's nothing more than bandaid and would only further delay their development.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:29:40 AM by Boone »

MaymonsPops

• Walk-On
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2014, 10:24:38 AM »
I'm against adding Carlino for many reason. I don't need to go on about those, as many of them have already been covered in this thread. I'll just point out that the fit doesn't really seem to make sense for him, either. Word from BYU is that the transfer was driven by the fact Dave Rose wouldn't promise his role next year as a guaranteed starter (after getting benched half way through the year). He was probably set for ~25 mpg still though at BYU next year, a team with a similar outlook on next season as Marquette as a likely bubble team (Still have Haws but Mika going away for his mission and Collinsworth tore his ACL late in the season so no guarantee he is back to start the year). I'm not sure how he could rationally think he could be assured as a guaranteed starter or more minutes at Marquette with Duane, Derrick and Dawson here fighting for minutes. Oklahoma State makes much more sense for him-- that's my prediction on where he ends up.

droopy21

• Walk-On
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2014, 10:36:44 AM »
Don't think this would be a good add for MU. 

1.  1 year only
2.  younger guys already there at the position
3.  not very good

Stats have previously quoted.  Eye test (I saw parts or all of a handful of BYU games last year) doesn't pass muster.  Some poor forced shots that I saw, and not just in NCAA game where they were getting clobbered.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2014, 11:00:49 AM »
"Would prevent the development of the young guys in the backcourt." I'm hoping the players are developing in offseason workouts, in the weight room, and in practice. Games are the fun, easy part. Games are not where players develop. Every single player will develop, regardless of whether they are on the bench or playing 30 minutes/game, if they are coached right in practice. And if they are not, they aren't going to magically develop in a 40 minute game where no player development happens, they just play the game. "But, but, but they need game experience!" That's what Grambling State and 10 of the first 14 regular season games are for. They will get their game experience when they need if, and they will develop in practice. If Carlino can help the team win games this year there is no question you take him. 1 year guy in a year that we have 3 open scholarships? It's an absolute no lose situation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »
Jeff Goodman reporting that Carlino will take an official visit to Marquette in the next couple of weeks, likely May 9th.

In Wojo I trust.  If he wants Carlino to fill one of the three remaining 2014 spots then I want Carlino too.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »
In Wojo I trust.

The last use of that saying resulted in a case of badly misplaced trust

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »
"Would prevent the development of the young guys in the backcourt." I'm hoping the players are developing in offseason workouts, in the weight room, and in practice. Games are the fun, easy part. Games are not where players develop. Every single player will develop, regardless of whether they are on the bench or playing 30 minutes/game, if they are coached right in practice. And if they are not, they aren't going to magically develop in a 40 minute game where no player development happens, they just play the game. "But, but, but they need game experience!" That's what Grambling State and 10 of the first 14 regular season games are for. They will get their game experience when they need if, and they will develop in practice. If Carlino can help the team win games this year there is no question you take him. 1 year guy in a year that we have 3 open scholarships? It's an absolute no lose situation.

This is exactly right and is a notion I don't understand.  Playing Duane and Dawson more next year doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to be better as juniors and seniors. 

MaymonsPops

• Walk-On
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
There has been team chemistry problems at both of his stops. Highly publicized UCLA scandal and the rumored literal implementation of a "3 passes before a shot rule" (you may have had a similar rule on your middle school team) at BYU in December last year. Could be just a coincidence he was at both schools though, I guess.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »
There has been team chemistry problems at both of his stops. Highly publicized UCLA scandal and the rumored literal implementation of a "3 passes before a shot rule" (you may have had a similar rule on your middle school team) at BYU in December last year. Could be just a coincidence he was at both schools though, I guess.

Our chemistry kicked ass last year, so this concern is legitimate.   ::)

Overrated.  Winning is the only chemistry you need.  When you're winning you have great chemistry.  When you're losing you have awful chemistry.  Just win, baby, win.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »
The person who caused the bad team chemistry last year is no longer with the team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
The person who caused the bad team chemistry last year is no longer with the team.

So then there should've been a player on the team who brought everyone together and said to the rest of the team, "Eff Bert, he's screwing us over, let's win in spite of him."  Again, team chemistry is overrated.  It's simple, if you're winning you'll have great team chemistry, if not you will have bad chemistry.  Nobody is whooping it up while you're loosing, just like nobody's pouting around if you're winning other than maybe the worst players on the team, and they aren't on the court anyways.

MaymonsPops

• Walk-On
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2014, 12:14:05 PM »
Our chemistry kicked ass last year, so this concern is legitimate.   ::)

Overrated.  Winning is the only chemistry you need.  When you're winning you have great chemistry.  When you're losing you have awful chemistry.  Just win, baby, win.

Yeah, honestly no way to know for sure how he affects our chemistry until he is here (or if that even matters, I guess) so there is no point arguing this. Let's try something else. I am not sure he improves our offense as much as people think he will. His numbers mostly come from being a volume shooter.
Mighty West Coast Conference rankings:
10th of 12 kpom Ortg of players that used 24+% of their teams possessions
33rd of 39 players in eFG% that played 60+% of minutes
Doesn't exactly speak to being an impact offensive player, especially at a step up in level of competition.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:17:52 PM by MaymonsPops »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »

This is exactly right and is a notion I don't understand.  Playing Duane and Dawson more next year doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to be better as juniors and seniors. 

So gathering game experience doesn't help a player get better - especially if the kid has a high ceiling of potential as Duane is thought to have, and Dawson showed flashes of having last year?  Though I know we saw no improvement in Derrick for all of last year, even though he got max minutes - so it doesn't always hold true.  Then again if the piece of clay you are working with shoots 43% from the FT line and has made exactly 2, 3pt shots through the end of his junior season as a PG in high major ball....probably not a lot of room for improvement.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2014, 12:25:23 PM »
So gathering game experience doesn't help a player get better - especially if the kid has a high ceiling of potential as Duane is thought to have, and Dawson showed flashes of having last year?  Though I know we saw no improvement in Derrick for all of last year, even though he got max minutes - so it doesn't always hold true.  Then again if the piece of clay you are working with shoots 43% from the FT line and has made exactly 2, 3pt shots through the end of his junior season as a PG in high major ball....probably not a lot of room for improvement.

So you think the 40 minutes of just purely going out and playing basketball develops a player over the 12 hours of player development in practice time every week?  For someone who pretends he has a storied basketball playing background, you clearly do not know where/when players develop.

Yes, game experience helps.  Again, if Carlino were to take every single minute from Dawson and Duane (he won't), those 2 will have Grambling State and 9 other teams like them before the Big East season to get game experience the next season.

If players are developing because of game experience and not because of what is being done during practice time there is something seriously, seriously wrong with how the program is being run.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:27:54 PM by wadesworld »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »
So gathering game experience doesn't help a player get better - especially if the kid has a high ceiling of potential as Duane is thought to have, and Dawson showed flashes of having last year?  Though I know we saw no improvement in Derrick for all of last year, even though he got max minutes - so it doesn't always hold true.  Then again if the piece of clay you are working with shoots 43% from the FT line and has made exactly 2, 3pt shots through the end of his junior season as a PG in high major ball....probably not a lot of room for improvement.

I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make here in this rambling stream of consciousness, but I think most of the work that gets players better happens in the off season...skill development...pick up games...strength and conditioning...practice...

Now of course they do also gain some experience playing in games, but is that experience so great that it is worth sacrificing games that they could win otherwise?  Nope.

If Carlino comes here, he is here for one year.  Both him and Derrick will be gone after that.  Dawson will have two years at point and Duane will have three.  And they may actually be better and see more playing time next year anyway.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »

That sonuvabitch Jake Thomas!

Death on call

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2014, 12:34:38 PM »
LOL!  Well played!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2014, 02:37:45 PM »
I'm against adding Carlino for many reason. I don't need to go on about those, as many of them have already been covered in this thread. I'll just point out that the fit doesn't really seem to make sense for him, either. Word from BYU is that the transfer was driven by the fact Dave Rose wouldn't promise his role next year as a guaranteed starter (after getting benched half way through the year). He was probably set for ~25 mpg still though at BYU next year, a team with a similar outlook on next season as Marquette as a likely bubble team (Still have Haws but Mika going away for his mission and Collinsworth tore his ACL late in the season so no guarantee he is back to start the year). I'm not sure how he could rationally think he could be assured as a guaranteed starter or more minutes at Marquette with Duane, Derrick and Dawson here fighting for minutes. Oklahoma State makes much more sense for him-- that's my prediction on where he ends up.

Hey! It worked for Gottlieb!
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2014, 07:04:59 AM »

This is exactly right and is a notion I don't understand.  Playing Duane and Dawson more next year doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to be better as juniors and seniors.  

So, are there many things that are exactly right and that you don't understand?

Sorry, I know what you meant, I just couldn't resist.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2014, 10:17:08 AM »
So you think the 40 minutes of just purely going out and playing basketball develops a player over the 12 hours of player development in practice time every week?  For someone who pretends he has a storied basketball playing background, you clearly do not know where/when players develop.

Yes, game experience helps.  Again, if Carlino were to take every single minute from Dawson and Duane (he won't), those 2 will have Grambling State and 9 other teams like them before the Big East season to get game experience the next season.

If players are developing because of game experience and not because of what is being done during practice time there is something seriously, seriously wrong with how the program is being run.

LOL - Wades...the general content of your posts and basketball acumen is usually well off target.  You cannot replicate game experience in practice.  Generally practice during the season is comprised of half court shell work, scouting report, implementation of scouting report, out of bounds plays, defensive concepts - as under Buzz the defensive concepts changed game to game based on scouting report.  Rarely do teams run 5 on 5 up and down in practice at the college level.  There is not a lot of "player development" as you cite during practice during the season.  Off season, yes.

So, to answer your question:  Playing with the same guys during GAMES helps develop cohesion and efficiency...and better results for the player/team.  The best coaches play their 5 best guys together consistently and for long stretches, and have a very distinct substitution pattern...and usually go 8-9 deep max.  Everyone knows their role.  Knows what to expect.  Last year under Buzz...it was a complete crap show...other than for Derrick and Jake...which was the height of comical - giving the most minutes to your two most limited players.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013