'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Matt Carlino  (Read 91629 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Matt Carlino
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2014, 08:53:04 PM »
Where are all the people who wanted big minutes for Duane/Dawson next season to help develop them?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2014, 08:56:06 PM »
Where are all the people who wanted big minutes for Duane/Dawson next season to help develop them?

I'm right here...I haven't seen Carlino play so can't really comment, yet the article linked raises some red flags.  For you and other who were so amazed by Derrick's ability to "protect the ball" and not turn it over - Carlino sounds like a nightmare. 

Dawson and Duane have plenty of potential, and hope they take the reins next year...but if not them...then yes, I would take Carlino over Derrick.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2014, 08:56:13 PM »
I thought we didn't miss VB at all last year and the only issue with the team was DW? 

That was never my mantra, Lanta. I said up front we would miss VB. Badly.

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2014, 09:12:36 PM »
Jim Boylan was an unsung hero and a leader. I would take a JB every year and take my chances.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2014, 09:26:01 PM »
Keefe & Goose: I would take Jim Boylan every day of the week too. You just needed to be there to understand where that group was coming from. Remember: Al started Bill Neary because of his toughness and essentially for no other reason. Every one of the guys on that team, save Bernard Toone, was tough as nails. But please, don't engage in revisionist history. Boylan was a heady player. But Rosenberger was tough and Butch was tough and Bo was tough and J Whitehead was tough and Ulice Payne was tough. But they were not the type of team that had a rah-rah type of leader. They were a team of the '70's. There are some great, great stories about the characters on those teams. When it was crunch time, it was Butch and Bo--but if it was Whitehead or Boylan or Rose, that was cool too.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2014, 09:58:02 PM »
I'm right here...I haven't seen Carlino play so can't really comment, yet the article linked raises some red flags.  For you and other who were so amazed by Derrick's ability to "protect the ball" and not turn it over - Carlino sounds like a nightmare. 

Dawson and Duane have plenty of potential, and hope they take the reins next year...but if not them...then yes, I would take Carlino over Derrick.

I won't bother responding to your wildly incorrect statements about my opinions.

I'd rather have Duane/Dawson playing big minutes than bringing Carlino on board.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2014, 10:43:04 PM »
+1.  A winner who can come in and provide some skill and much needed leadership for one year.  I'd welcome him to campus.

How do we know this?  Plenty of seniors that aren't leaders...I can think of some on this past MU team this year.  As for winner, again....how do we know.  He might be, he might not be.  If Wojo thinks he is a good fit, team player, fine.  If there are reasons not to take him because he doesn't embody the team attitude, etc, then I would say no.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2014, 10:50:12 PM »
Rest assured, if Ben Howland was hired, Matt Carlino would not be in the mix.  Clearly, then, Wojo was hired so we could get Matt Carlino.   ;)

"From the first practice, [Reeves] Nelson's treatment of [Matt] Carlino was a divisive issue. Carlino suffered a concussion during the preseason that caused him to miss the first three games. Nelson ridiculed Carlino for letting the injury sideline him. He told Carlino he didn't belong at UCLA and wasn't any good. He would yell at Carlino to leave the locker room, calling him "concussion boy." When Carlino returned to workouts, Nelson would go out of his way to set a screen on Carlino so he could hit him. Eventually, players say, Carlino dreaded practice. It was of little surprise when he left UCLA midway through the season and transferred to BYU.

"After Carlino left, there was a team meeting at which Howland said he couldn't respect a quitter. "But everyone knew why Matt left," says one player. "He didn't want to keep sitting on the bench, but most of all he didn't want to be around Reeves anymore. That wasn't quitting. That was just smart."

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »
I won't bother responding to your wildly incorrect statements about my opinions.

I'd rather have Duane/Dawson playing big minutes than bringing Carlino on board.

Carlino will seriously impede the growth of our young backcourt...they need big minutes next year. Pass on Carlino!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »

I think most people realize that PG was a problem last year.  So we are relying on a substandard starter....a guy who played a bit last year but might have a ceiling....and a top 100 guy who is coming off an injury.

Tying up a scholarship on an experienced PG IMO has little if any downside.  Wojo wants to win now.  It balances out classes.  Makes perfect sense.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2014, 11:02:40 PM »
No to Carlino.  He is not that good.  This would destroy the team chemistry (see Indiana Pacers trade Danny Granger).  Got to give Duane/Dawson/Derrick the reigns.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Boone

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »
Agree. Pass.

brandx

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2014, 11:06:45 PM »
Rest assured, if Ben Howland was hired, Matt Carlino would not be in the mix.  Clearly, then, Wojo was hired so we could get Matt Carlino.   ;)

"From the first practice, [Reeves] Nelson's treatment of [Matt] Carlino was a divisive issue. Carlino suffered a concussion during the preseason that caused him to miss the first three games. Nelson ridiculed Carlino for letting the injury sideline him. He told Carlino he didn't belong at UCLA and wasn't any good. He would yell at Carlino to leave the locker room, calling him "concussion boy." When Carlino returned to workouts, Nelson would go out of his way to set a screen on Carlino so he could hit him. Eventually, players say, Carlino dreaded practice. It was of little surprise when he left UCLA midway through the season and transferred to BYU.

"After Carlino left, there was a team meeting at which Howland said he couldn't respect a quitter. "But everyone knew why Matt left," says one player. "He didn't want to keep sitting on the bench, but most of all he didn't want to be around Reeves anymore. That wasn't quitting. That was just smart."

Sounds similar to Jonathon Martin case.

Makes you wonder what is wrong with coaches when they know this is going on and they do nothing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2014, 12:45:52 AM »
Those who want to pass on Carlino. What are your suggestions for filling the three scholarships for next season? From where I am standing, I'm not seeing to many uncommitted players who would be better.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2014, 12:51:35 AM »
Those who want to pass on Carlino. What are your suggestions for filling the three scholarships for next season? From where I am standing, I'm not seeing to many uncommitted players who would be better.

Carlino is a one-year fix at a position where there's a logjam for minutes. One more year to stymie the growth of Duane and John.

I hope Wojo is working his magic and, if not turning over the Juco stones, tapping his ACC HS coaches for hidden gems...and possibly, an overseas player to fill the void.
SS Marquette

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2014, 01:30:27 AM »

I'd be all in for Carlino if I knew that he wasn't being brought in for the PG spot.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2014, 02:03:48 AM »
Keefe & Goose: I would take Jim Boylan every day of the week too. You just needed to be there to understand where that group was coming from. Remember: Al started Bill Neary because of his toughness and essentially for no other reason. Every one of the guys on that team, save Bernard Toone, was tough as nails. But please, don't engage in revisionist history. Boylan was a heady player. But Rosenberger was tough and Butch was tough and Bo was tough and J Whitehead was tough and Ulice Payne was tough. But they were not the type of team that had a rah-rah type of leader. They were a team of the '70's. There are some great, great stories about the characters on those teams. When it was crunch time, it was Butch and Bo--but if it was Whitehead or Boylan or Rose, that was cool too.

My favorite transfer story involves Boylan. He went down to meet with Dean Smith and Smith works him out, is impressed, but also has Phil Ford on his roster. So Dean picks up the phone and calls Al. He asks Al, "Are you still looking for a PG?" When Al affirms Dean tells him, "Well, I have your next PG sitting right here. His name is Jimmy Boylan."

It was a different world back then. Al flew Boylan up to Milwaukee and signed him up. We win a Ship beating Dean Smith with Boylan at the helm. Pure poetry.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2014, 06:55:01 AM »
Carlino is a one-year fix at a position where there's a logjam for minutes. One more year to stymie the growth of Duane and John.

I think Wojo is thinking that it is risky to play an unproven sophomore and a freshman and just assume they'll get better.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:07:30 AM by The Sultan of Slurpery »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2014, 07:18:52 AM »
That was never my mantra, Lanta. I said up front we would miss VB. Badly.
I know...trying to stir the pot a bit with some others on here...all in good fun.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2014, 07:21:59 AM »
Sounds similar to Jonathon Martin case.

What case? Guy had a nervous breakdown and the media decided to blame it on someone. News Flash, NFL players are meatheads.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »
My favorite transfer story involves Boylan. He went down to meet with Dean Smith and Smith works him out, is impressed, but also has Phil Ford on his roster. So Dean picks up the phone and calls Al. He asks Al, "Are you still looking for a PG?" When Al affirms Dean tells him, "Well, I have your next PG sitting right here. His name is Jimmy Boylan."

It was a different world back then. Al flew Boylan up to Milwaukee and signed him up. We win a Ship beating Dean Smith with Boylan at the helm. Pure poetry.

Coach K calls Wojo, "Are you still looking for your next PF? When Wojo confirms he flies him up to Milwaukee and signs him up. WE win the ship beating Duke. We can all dream.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »

I hope Wojo is working his magic and, if not turning over the Juco stones, tapping his ACC HS
coaches for hidden gems...and possibly, an overseas player to fill the void.

Well if Duane/Dawson are better than Carlino than it won't matter. They will play over him. In which case we will have an extra guard. If they are not better, I will take the upgrade at PG and give them another year to develop.

I think if we can't get a big to transfer in (they are few and far between) then we could use as many guards as possible. I think we will see a lot of three and four guard sets.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2014, 08:22:13 AM »
I'd be all in for Carlino if I knew that he wasn't being brought in for the PG spot.

I know we all want to believe that Buzz was holding Dawson back and that Duane would have been the starter last season if he was healthy. But we have absolutely no proof of that. For all we know, they could be worse than Derrick. I don't believe that, it's not what I've been hearing, but it is a possibility. I would love a competitive, three point shooting, hard nosed defense PG like Carlino just to make sure that we have at least one quality player at the position.

I don't think CoWojo will be afraid to run three and four guard sets next season. They will all find their way onto the floor next season.
TAMU

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2014, 08:40:22 AM »
No to Carlino.  He is not that good.  This would destroy the team chemistry (see Indiana Pacers trade Danny Granger).  Got to give Duane/Dawson/Derrick the reigns.

How do you know this so definitively?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:45 AM »

because it was so good last season?

feedback