[Today at 02:06:54 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Carlino  (Read 91907 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Matt Carlino
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
Regardless of reporting source, what Marquette lacked last year was a spiritual leader who demanded victory. MU has a long history of that and it was very much missing last season. People dislike the Danny Ainge, Travis Diener, Sam Worthen, Steve Alford, Lloyd Walton, Jim Boylan type personalities but they were winners. Carlino comes from the same mold. He has the stuff this team needs.

+1
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
Regardless of reporting source, what Marquette lacked last year was a spiritual leader who demanded victory. MU has a long history of that and it was very much missing last season. People dislike the Danny Ainge, Travis Diener, Sam Worthen, Steve Alford, Lloyd Walton, Jim Boylan type personalities but they were winners. Carlino comes from the same mold. He has the stuff this team needs.

Only heard of half of those guys, but they all played basketball really well. Derrick Wilson really wants to win, he's just not very good. Tough to be a leader when you stink, unless you were good at one time..

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
If we get him do we get to play 5 on 5 again?  If so, I'm all in.

Unfortunately, the word on Carlino is that we would be playing 1 on 5.  That's three less than last year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 04:16:18 PM »
Personally dont want him. Dont want a log jam at PG. Would much rather Wojo let Duane and Dawson develop. Also, not a fan of Duane at the 2 either we have Mayo and Jajuan for that.

The article says he's a shooting guard so I'm not worried about him stealing Duane/Dawson's minutes. If we're running a 3 guard offense again I think he'd be a great pickup. Only takes up a schollie for 1 year and seems to have some game.
Bring back FFP!!!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »
The article says he's a shooting guard so I'm not worried about him stealing Duane/Dawson's minutes. If we're running a 3 guard offense again I think he'd be a great pickup. Only takes up a schollie for 1 year and seems to have some game.

You must be talking about the Bleacher Report.  Any reputable journalist is aware that Carlino is only interested in playing point guard.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »
Yeah I was talking about the Bleacher Report, my bad. I honestly know nothing about the guy and went off the fact that the article called him a shooting guard.
Bring back FFP!!!

sv48

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 05:41:15 PM »
It says right there for you in the article, and it's not even open for interpretation:

"Projected decision: Transfer to Marquette"

Not sure how I missed that, sorry I am brown.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 06:50:49 PM »
Personally, I would rather use our ships on frontcourt talent as we have 3 PGs on the roster now. Carlino has MU DNA and is a fiery competitor - perhaps the single biggest missing player variable last year. When a game was on the line VB demanded the rock. There was no such player last season so Carlino would add that to the mix.
I thought we didn't miss VB at all last year and the only issue with the team was DW? 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 07:12:40 PM »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »
Personally dont want him. Dont want a log jam at PG. Would much rather Wojo let Duane and Dawson develop. Also, not a fan of Duane at the 2 either we have Mayo and Jajuan for that.

I'm with you.

We need Fs and a C.
SS Marquette

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »
Not that it really matters but Matt is related to former player and has strong ties to Milwaukee. His grandparents are from here and Matt has spent a lot of time here over the years. TC was recruiting him when he was in 8th grade. Matt is fully aware of MU's basketball history and would be a great addition. Three family members played high level D1 ball and he lives basketball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »
Dudes, get real. It's the end of April, therefore, slim pickin's on the high school front. Wojo ain't goin' the JUCO route. This only ties up a schollie for 1 year while Steve gets his sea legs. We're short 3 playas and Goose, keefe, and I ain't got no eligibility left. Don't see a downside.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
I'm with you.

We need Fs and a C.

We need at least one guy who can just flat out hit threes.  We were dead last in 3 point percentage in the conference.  You can't win consistently unless you've got several guys who are a threat to hit threes.  And for all of Jake's shortcomings, he was our best last year and is gone now.  Maybe some of our returning guys will improve, but they'll have to improve a ton just to get us to respectable unless we add a guy or two.  Mayo has never been a consistent three point shooter and while I think Burton can and will hit his share, his game is creating off the bounce and posting up more than spotting up from beyond the arc.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
Dudes, get real. It's the end of April, therefore, slim pickin's on the high school front. Wojo ain't goin' the JUCO route. This only ties up a schollie for 1 year while Steve gets his sea legs. We're short 3 playas and Goose, keefe, and I ain't got no eligibility left. Don't see a downside.

Exactly.

We need at least one guy who can just flat out hit threes.  We were dead last in 3 point percentage in the conference.  You can't win consistently unless you've got several guys who are a threat to hit threes.  And for all of Jake's shortcomings, he was our best last year and is gone now.  Maybe some of our returning guys will improve, but they'll have to improve a ton just to get us to respectable unless we add a guy or two.  Mayo has never been a consistent three point shooter and while I think Burton can and will hit his share, his game is creating off the bounce and posting up more than spotting up from beyond the arc.

We did win consistently 2 years ago without being able to hit the 3 point shot with any consistency.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 07:55:34 PM »

Right.  If it doesn't work, he sits on the bench.  Or leaves.  Who cares?

LA

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 07:56:46 PM »
You absolutely pick him up if you can. For the first half of the year we only have Burton, Juan, and Steve to play the 4 and 5. That means we'll be playing with 3 (and possibly 4) guards very often. Duane, Dawson, JJ, and Mayo would all still get PT even with Carlino and Derrick in the fold.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 07:59:16 PM »

+1.  A winner who can come in and provide some skill and much needed leadership for one year.  I'd welcome him to campus.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »
You absolutely pick him up if you can. For the first half of the year we only have Burton, Juan, and Steve to play the 4 and 5. That means we'll be playing with 3 (and possibly 4) guards very often. Duane, Dawson, JJ, and Mayo would all still get PT even with Carlino and Derrick in the fold.

In actuality, until Fischer becomes eligible we only have Taylor to play the 4 and 5. Burton and Juan are 3's.

Death on call

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »
Maybe they will go with a three guard line up for the lack of size. Speed things up.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 08:09:01 PM »

We did win consistently 2 years ago without being able to hit the 3 point shot with any consistency.

We also had a stud shooter in DJO and Crowder who hit big shots, including 3's in clutch situations.  I love Burton's offensive potential, but nobody else on the current roster approaches those two guys.

In today's college game, you have to have guys who can take advantage of a shot that is less than 21 feet, because just about every top 50 team has several.  

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2014, 08:13:09 PM »
We also had a stud shooter in DJO and Crowder who hit big shots, including 3's in clutch situations.  I love Burton's offensive potential, but nobody else on the current roster approaches those two guys.

In today's college game, you have to have guys who can take advantage of a shot that is less than 21 feet, because just about every top 50 team has several.  

Sorry, I meant to say 2 seasons ago not 2 years ago. Back when we played in the Elite Eight with Jamil Wilson as our biggest 3 point threat.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »
Jim Boylan was not in that category of leader. The leaders on his team were Butch and Bo. Period. Boylan was very effective and a heady player. Different leaders and different times. A Travis type leader did not exist in those years, nor could he. Lloyd Walton was that type of leader but still not like Travis. Lloyd was a street fighter but he wouldn't be tackling practice dummies.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »
Sorry, I meant to say 2 seasons ago not 2 years ago. Back when we played in the Elite Eight with Jamil Wilson as our biggest 3 point threat.

Good luck with that year in and year out.  And that team too had guys who hit big shots and threes in clutch situations- Vander hit several in their three NCAA wins that year, Cadougan (against UConn conference opener), etc.

The prior coach who seemed to have an aversion to quality perimeter shooters is gone, let's break his mold and find guys who can flat out stroke it now. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2014, 08:31:06 PM »
Jim Boylan was not in that category of leader. The leaders on his team were Butch and Bo. Period. Boylan was very effective and a heady player. Different leaders and different times. A Travis type leader did not exist in those years, nor could he. Lloyd Walton was that type of leader but still not like Travis. Lloyd was a street fighter but he wouldn't be tackling practice dummies.

They each had a different style but all were the QBs for their team. I get your point about Butch and Bo being the scoring leaders of the 77 team but I would argue that Boylan is the man who made the team go. He was a feisty guy who yelled at everyone from Al to Bo to Toone.

A friend of mine was Boylan's PG at UNH and they remain close to this day. My buddy, whose father coached at PC and was the head at Seattle U, said Boylan was the toughest guy he met in basketball.

Death on call

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
condition of his recruitment:
permitted to play point sporting shades.

feedback