[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hallice Cooke (Oregon State)  (Read 17396 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Hallice Cooke (Oregon State)
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »
http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/04/point_guard_hallice_cooke_to_t.html

Watched this kid for three years in my back yard and he has every tangible and intangible quality to be a strong high major guard. Did well to improve physically in his one year in Corvallis and Robinson eventually couldn't keep him out of the starting five. Losing Mayo and Wilson, returning Wilson and Dawson and Johnson it may be nice to have a proven Division I commodity coming off redshirt to balance out the 1-3 positions, especially if Noskowiak travels elsewhere.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Hallice Cooke (Oregon State)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:31:07 AM »
This is good stuff:

"The Pac-12 All-Freshmen Honorable Mention selection was the conference's second-best three-point shooter at 45.6 percent. At one point, he made a three-pointer in 13 consecutive games.

Cooke enjoyed perhaps his best Beavers performance in a Feb. 2 win over UCLA. He netted 20 points on 7-of-9 shooting,...."
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »
7-9 shootin' was best beaver's performance, awesome
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »
7-9 shootin' was best beaver's performance, awesome

Frankly, there is better beaver in Eugene

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:59:53 AM »
Sure, I'll take him.

With all the other transfers suggested here, that will bring our roster numbers to approximately 122.

Seriously, he definitely sounds worth looking into. Thanks for the link and info.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »
Sounds like MoAck 2.0.

I'd be happy with that pick up
SS Marquette

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »
Sounds like MoAck 2.0.

I'd be happy with that pick up

Difference being about eight inches and a legitimate physical frame to be a penetration threat. Cooke bounces between the one and two and MU will need versatility like that. Dawson is a 1. Wilson is more a 2/1. Johnson is more a 3/2. If Noskowiak stays away it may not be terrible for Wojo to scoop up a kid who's already played DI guard minutes than try and land a prep PG prospect.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 04:43:53 PM »
Plyed for Bob Hurley at St.Anthony's.I will take him.Well coached and will know how to play defense.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
Plyed for Bob Hurley at St.Anthony's.I will take him.Well coached and will know how to play defense.

Well, we have no chance.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 04:52:13 PM »
Difference being about eight inches and a legitimate physical frame to be a penetration threat. Cooke bounces between the one and two and MU will need versatility like that. Dawson is a 1. Wilson is more a 2/1. Johnson is more a 3/2. If Noskowiak stays away it may not be terrible for Wojo to scoop up a kid who's already played DI guard minutes than try and land a prep PG prospect.
There is no reason Dawson could not play the two.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 05:00:12 PM »
We may have a great chance now with Wojo.The Duke connection with Bob Hurley Son Booby Jr. going thru the Duke program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »
There is no reason Dawson could not play the two.

Well, we still don't know if he can play the 1. Seriously. Mostly through no fault of his own, he has just about no college resume, and he wasn't even close to a top-100 recruit. Like so many others, Dawson is a big "We'll See."

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 05:39:59 PM »
Well, we still don't know if he can play the 1. Seriously. Mostly through no fault of his own, he has just about no college resume, and he wasn't even close to a top-100 recruit. Like so many others, Dawson is a big "We'll See."

Agreed. I'm high on Dawson, but I agree.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »
We may have a great chance now with Wojo.The Duke connection with Bob Hurley Son Booby Jr. going thru the Duke program.

Can we stop with the Duke stuff? Did everything Crean do relate to Izzo? Did Everything Buzz do relate to Crean?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »
Can we stop with the Duke stuff? Did everything Crean do relate to Izzo? Did Everything Buzz do relate to Crean?

Aircraftcarrier makes a good valid point.  Hurley, Sr. is highly likely to think well of the Duke program.  Wojo has a long association with Duke.  That is likely to transfer over to Wojo during his tenure at MU.  It has nothing to do with whether what Wojo does relates to Coach K.  It has to do with how a coach at an important source of talent now views the HC at MU.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »
Thanks LittleMurs.Some people just don't get it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »
Sure, I'll take him.

With all the other transfers suggested here, that will bring our roster numbers to approximately 122.

Seriously, he definitely sounds worth looking into. Thanks for the link and info.

This

Are we going to start a thread for every transfer and how this would fit on our Roster?

Does scoop have enough bandwidth?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
This

Are we going to start a thread for every transfer and how this would fit on our Roster?

Lol, this is really you asking this question?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »

Yes on the height, but the impact Mo had on the team was decent in his first year and valuable by the end of his MU career.
Rare that transfers can continue to make an impact to a program and Mo's was a very positive one. The hope is there for Cooke if he suits up for the Blue and Gold.
SS Marquette

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
This

+1000

He has no local ties, no WI ties even for that matter, a Jersey City NJ kid, who chose a Pac 12 school and according to what I could find, his finalists before choosing Oregon St included Richmond, St. Joe's, and Xavier.

So why should we speculate about him joining MU other than there's nothing else going on the rumor mill and he is a "free agent" with only 300 plus other D-1 schools he could be choosing instead.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 11:45:40 PM »
This

Yes. This is a Marquette basketball forum. We are Marquette basketball fans. This is what we do.

I do try to save some bandwidth by creating single forums that compile all the information. You can find my graduate transfer list here! http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43848.0
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 12:29:20 AM »

Last month, our busiest ever, we used 1.47% of our allotted bandwidth.   So yes, we can handle a discussion of every transfer.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 01:31:17 AM »
Last month, our busiest ever, we used 1.47% of our allotted bandwidth.   So yes, we can handle a discussion of every transfer.

What was the bandwidth spike on the day Buzz quit?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 07:47:08 AM »
What was the bandwidth spike on the day Buzz quit?

Mar 18 - 1.93 GB
Mar 19 - 1.72 GB
Mar 20 - 1.78 GB
Mar 21 - 9.12 GB
Mar 22 - 6.10 GB
Mar 23 - 5.56 GB
Mar 24 - 12.45 GB
Mar 25 - 9.61 GB

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 09:07:39 AM »
This

You're the same guy who said sources told you a month ago that Marquette was under NCAA investigation, right? Only then didn't a compliance officer from Marquette come to Scoop and call your charade simply "unjust rumors and absolutely not true?"  :D Clown :D

With Wojo as our coach, there is a connection to Cooke. Also, I've started a thread about only two transfer possibilities since the coaching change with one of them inching closer to a MU uniform. We'll see on the second one.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 10:23:59 AM »
You're the same guy who said sources told you a month ago that Marquette was under NCAA investigation, right? Only then didn't a compliance officer from Marquette come to Scoop and call your charade simply "unjust rumors and absolutely not true?"  :D Clown :D

With Wojo as our coach, there is a connection to Cooke. Also, I've started a thread about only two transfer possibilities since the coaching change with one of them inching closer to a MU uniform. We'll see on the second one.

Their was an investigation ... not an ncaa investigation (read: internal).  I never said what kind as I was not sure.  

And it is a really bad idea for compliance officers to log-on message boards to shoot down rumors.  Does that mean when she doesn't log-in and shoot down a rumor that it's true?

How should she handle it.  Ask the mods to delete it.  PM me and say to stop.  I would.

Finally, my comment was about starting 300 threads for all 300 announced transfers.  How does ripping me about a completely unrelated post from last month fit in this discussion?  You realize it says more about you and your inadequacies than me.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:25:46 AM by Heisenberg »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 11:08:39 AM »
Their was an investigation ... not an ncaa investigation (read: internal).  I never said what kind as I was not sure.  

And it is a really bad idea for compliance officers to log-on message boards to shoot down rumors.  Does that mean when she doesn't log-in and shoot down a rumor that it's true?

How should she handle it.  Ask the mods to delete it.  PM me and say to stop.  I would.

Finally, my comment was about starting 300 threads for all 300 announced transfers.  How does ripping me about a completely unrelated post from last month fit in this discussion?  You realize it says more about you and your inadequacies than me.

She handled it exactly like she should have. We saw how rumors spread. We had major local news channels reporting Shaka Smart was Marquette's head coach based on a Tweet from an MU journalism student. If rumors pick up that Marquette is under NCAA investigation right as they are starting their coaching search you don't think some random media people are going to pick that up and that it can hurt the search? Heck, we saw somebody pick it up, and she also had to respond to him and shoot it down.

If more major NCAA violations are falsely rumored and that is picking up traction, then yes, I and sure she will shoot them all down individually. But how often is that going to happen? Anything less than a major violation (giving money or monetary gifts to recruits) and she won't have to address it, as nothing will ever come out to the public otherwise. So she might have to come on here twice in her time at MU? And it has already happened once now.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:14:54 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 02:45:36 PM »

wadesworld already answered with my thoughts on your veritable Molotov cocktail last month. The reason I brought it up is you should dig a little and ask the right people why I'm starting discussions on possible transfers. I'm not out here willy nilly with silly threads about kids with no shot ending up at Marquette like Horford, Canty, et al. Thus, smart insider like yourself should know the names I posted about are being mentioned for real reasons beyond throwing darts in the wind.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »
Ok, getting back on track ... why should we think Cooke has any interest in MU?

Please explain

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »
Ok, getting back on track ... why should we think Cooke has any interest in MU?

Please explain

Connection to Hurley. Always wanted Big East. Late bloomer similar to Tarin Smith this past season and offers reflected that. Can play close enough to home without being at home. Has expressed interest in the past for this type of setup. Also, no real threats as of yet on the roster. Most everyone is unproven. Fits a likely Wojo system of three guards emphasizing deep threat.

Transfers are like grade school dating, hearts and minds change hour to hour. Let's see if interest continues.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:30 PM »
Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 5m
Iowa St, Davidson, Auburn, Dayton, Butler, GTech, Minnesota, URI, Creighton, Rutgers & more inquired about Oregon St transfer Hallice Cooke.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 06:28:52 AM »
Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 5m
Iowa St, Davidson, Auburn, Dayton, Butler, GTech, Minnesota, URI, Creighton, Rutgers & more inquired about Oregon St transfer Hallice Cooke.

So MU is not on his radar, and never was.  Has he ever set foot in the state of Wisconsin?  Can he find Milwaukee on a map?  And the "connection to Hurley always wanted tot Big East" was rationalizations with no basis in reality whatsoever.  Because everyone knows kids that "always wanted the Big East" go to Oregon State!

Quick search twitter for another random transfer name and start a thread about him too.  Stretch credibility to explain why he would consider MU.  Or pick one of the 300 that have already announced they are transferring.  We need a thread for all of them!  They are all coming here!

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 07:01:48 AM »
"& more".....could mean MU.....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 07:14:32 AM »
So MU is not on his radar, and never was.  Has he ever set foot in the state of Wisconsin?  Can he find Milwaukee on a map?  And the "connection to Hurley always wanted tot Big East" was rationalizations with no basis in reality whatsoever.  Because everyone knows kids that "always wanted the Big East" go to Oregon State!

Quick search twitter for another random transfer name and start a thread about him too.  Stretch credibility to explain why he would consider MU.  Or pick one of the 300 that have already announced they are transferring.  We need a thread for all of them!  They are all coming here!

I get your point but, again, what harm does this thread or any similar thread do? If you don't like it, don't click on it and certainly don't comment on it.

As has already been explained, even 1,000 of these threads would not crash Scoop.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »
I get your point but, again, what harm does this thread or any similar thread do? If you don't like it, don't click on it and certainly don't comment on it.

As has already been explained, even 1,000 of these threads would not crash Scoop.

82 you're not new here, you know how this place works.

If we get enough threads about some random transfer name to MU, it is predictable what comes next ...

* What's wrong with Wojo?
* Why can't he close these guys?
* MU made a mistake in hiring him
* Brent was right, the New Big East is becoming a mid-major
* Oh the humanity!!

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »

Seriously. It's not like the Hurley family has ANY connection to Duke. Can we stop with this already?
We Are Marquette

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 08:49:32 AM »

If we get enough threads about some random transfer name to MU, it is predictable what comes next ...

* Oh the humanity!!

I understand, but all of those posts are coming anyway. I'm always reluctant to litigate censorship. Someone starts a post that somebody else doesn't like and immediately it's, "Mods, let's shut this down now!"

That's overly dramatic, and I know that's not what you were advocating in this case, but I'm all about more opportunities for discourse, not fewer.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 10:42:26 AM »

* Oh the humanity!!

HBerg, I love you man but I don't think you can be the one to criticize others for starting too many threads. You were chugging along at about a pace of 1 new thread per hour during the coaching search.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 11:31:15 AM »

Inquiries have been made. My friend coached Hallice his Freshman year. I've talked with Hallice before about college. Whether MU take it up, I don't know about that. There is no stretching here just like there wasn't on April 2nd when I was the first member to post about Carlino being a possible transfer.

I can understand why this bothers you so much. It's not as juicy as slanderously slinging mud about Marquette being under investigation but I leave that to the man who has started a thread nearly 1,000 times with 90% of them being utter useless crape.