[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 'Wojo,' Collins became friends through thick and thin  (Read 3277 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
'Wojo,' Collins became friends through thick and thin
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:58:34 PM »
'Wojo,' Collins became friends through thick and thin

Racine Journal Times
April 21, 2014
by Peter Jackal

http://journaltimes.com/sports/peter-jackel-wojo-collins-became-friends-through-thick-and-thin/article_bc1c2c84-c9b8-11e3-862f-001a4bcf887a.html

They became pals just before cracks started surfacing in the kingdom known as the Duke University men’s basketball program.

It was the spring of 1994 when a coveted All-American guard from Cardinals Gibbons High School in Baltimore named Steve Wojciechowski showed up at the Duke campus for a visit. His host was Chris Collins, the son of former NBA great Doug Collins, who would be a junior guard that fall.

“He stayed with me for the weekend,” Collins said. “I didn’t screw it up too bad because he ended up committing. I did my duty as a host and that’s kind of how our friendship began.”

Twenty years later, the two are separated by the 80 miles between Milwaukee and Evanston, Ill. Collins just completed his first season as coach of the Northwestern program. And Wojciechowski was just hired to replace Buzz Williams as Marquette’s coach.

And after all these years, these two guys are closer than ever.

They played two years together under Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. They went on to serve as assistants under Krzyzewski for 13 seasons at Duke starting in 2000. They stood up in each other’s wedding. They lived two doors from each other on Sycamore Shoals Road in Durham, N.C. Their wives are friends. Their kids hung out with each other.

This is a bond that has only tightened through the years.

“It started on my visit to Duke and when we played together,” Wojciechowski said. “We spent a lot of time together, as coaches with both with Duke basketball and USA Basketball and as close as we were as players, that’s the time our friendship hit an even higher level.”

The first year of their friendship came under difficult circumstances. Duke had appeared in the previous four Final Fours when Wojciechowski was an incoming freshman, with national championships in 1992 and ’93, but adversity was on the horizon.

Krzyzewski underwent back surgery that fall, tried to return too soon and was forced to step down for the season after 12 games. The Blue Devils were 9-3 at that point, but capsized under interim coach Pete Gaudet, going 4-15 the rest of the way.

“We had played in the national championship game the year before and then the bottom just fell out,” Collins said. “Coach got sick and we ended up finishing last in the ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference). We obviously dealt with a lot of criticism and it was a real tough time in Duke basketball and we were two of the guys who had to go through that.”

Through it all, Collins and Wojciechowski were able to emotionally lean on each other. Maybe the longest season in the last 50 years of Duke basketball was just a little more tolerable for Collins and Wojciechowski because they had each other as friends. Collins had the ultimate kid brother in Wojciechowski.

As the two gutted through that miserable season — Collins started just three games because of an injury — certain characteristics started to emerge within Wojciechowski that foreshadowed where he is today. Even as a freshman, Collins’ pal was showing the stuff of a future coach.

“He’s a guy where, when he’s your friend, there’s no better guy that you want on your side,” Collins said. “He’s going to fight with you, he’s going to be honest with you and he’s always going to find a way.”

That has been Wojciechowski’s modus operandi ever since. During his next three seasons as a starter, he helped Duke rebound with records of 18-13, 24-9 and 32-4. And with Collins and Wojciechowski serving as Krzyzewski’s right-hand men, Duke won national championships in 2001 and ’10.

Now that Wojciechowski has moved on to Marquette, Collins sees a coaching great in the making. Call Collins biased, but he speaks as someone who knows Wojciechowski as a basketball mind.

“First of all, he’s got a very good feel and mind for the game,” Collins said. “He’s very smart and the other thing is, he’s got a great way with the guys. He’s a no-nonsense type of guy. He’s going to hold the guys accountable in everything they do — but in a good way.

“He has a great way of being tough with the guys and being demanding while, at the same time, making all the guys feel that he cares.”

Meanwhile, a certain legend is going to be keeping an eye from afar on his two proteges.

“Chris and Steve are so much alike,” Krzyzewski said. “They truly are brothers and for me as their coach to see them develop a relationship of being great teammates to where they become great friends to where they become great coaches together, that process for me to be a part of it every step of the way was fascinating.

“They are two of the most competitive people you will ever be around.”

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: 'Wojo,' Collins became friends through thick and thin
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »
Awww Duke love  :-*

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 06:17:18 AM »
If these two buddies want to play each other, I'm ok playing Northwestern.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 08:23:33 AM »
The article reminded me of how betting strategy often does not work. I was in Vegas and Duke had lost the previous game. My theory was that Duke never losses two and a row, so I placed a bet on their next game. They lost and a couple of games later Coach K took a leave for the rest of the season. Duke went on to lose 10 (?) straight games.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 08:54:39 AM »

Are you suggesting we change our mascot to Golden Retriever?

Norm

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 08:58:21 AM »
I'm looking forward to when we start getting articles about what Wojo is doing at Marquette. I'm starting to get tired of the Duke connection stories and woudl like to read an article or two about how Wojo is busting his butt on the recruiting trail, talking up Marquette to recruits, reaching out to high school and AAU coaches, putting together his summer program for the players...anything really. It's been a black hole on anything related to what he's actually doing as MU coach lately.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 09:18:52 AM »
I'm looking forward to when we start getting articles about what Wojo is doing at Marquette. I'm starting to get tired of the Duke connection stories and woudl like to read an article or two about how Wojo is busting his butt on the recruiting trail, talking up Marquette to recruits, reaching out to high school and AAU coaches, putting together his summer program for the players...anything really. It's been a black hole on anything related to what he's actually doing as MU coach lately.

Jesus, unnatural carnal knowledge. It's only been 21 days since he was hired for the job. This is what Wojo's actually done:

He kept all the returning players.
He kept one signed recruit (and possibly a second).
He hired two assistant coaches.
He's running off-season workouts.

Three weeks in and that's all Wojo has done as our coach? Should be fired for dereliction.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 09:24:48 AM »
I'm more impressed that the Racine J-T has a reporter named Woeful and a reporter named Peter Jackal.  Well done, RJ-T HR department.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:15:34 AM »
Jesus, unnatural carnal knowledge. It's only been 21 days since he was hired for the job. This is what Wojo's actually done:

He kept all the returning players.
He kept one signed recruit (and possibly a second).
He hired two assistant coaches.
He's running off-season workouts.

Three weeks in and that's all Wojo has done as our coach? Should be fired for dereliction.
Where did I ever say he wasn't doing anything? I just said I'd like to read more stories about that activity than all the Duke connection stories.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »
But has he written to over 300 coaches?!
SS Marquette

redbirdwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 09:46:44 PM »
But has he written to over 300 coaches?!

"Hi, how was your dinner?  I ate squirrel."