[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Some love for MU from Sports Illustrated  (Read 17233 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Some love for MU from Sports Illustrated
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »

I think what happened, starting under SP and LW, and continuing with Wild and Cords Part 2, is that Buzz's demands and complaints got to be a little too much.  Sometimes you have to be willing to let talent leave when the headaches get too much to deal with.

While it may be argued the parting was mutual the reality is that Bert knew his time was up. His public blathering is pure spin; I submit he is too self-absorbed to realize that moving forward with quiet dignity is a far better decision than dissimulating for the latter begs inquiry.

I acknowledge Bert can win basketball games but it seems Marquette correctly asked the question, "But at what cost?" It was time for Bert to pack up the Conestoga and leave town. Marquette extended him the courtesy to leave town honorably. It is a pity, though not surprising, he could not see fit to return Marquette's gesture with the poise and grace a man of genuine character would naturally understand and respect.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »
While it may be argued the parting was mutual the reality is that Bert knew his time was up. His public blathering is pure spin; I submit he is too self-absorbed to realize that moving forward with quiet dignity is a far better decision than dissimulating for the latter begs inquiry.

I acknowledge Bert can win basketball games but it seems Marquette correctly asked the question, "But at what cost?" It was time for Bert to pack up the Conestoga and leave town. Marquette extended him the courtesy to leave town honorably. It is a pity, though not surprising, he could not see fit to return Marquette's gesture with the poise and grace a man of genuine character would naturally understand and respect.

Well stated all around.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
The fact is BC made the tournament seven times since 2000, Va Tech once. That is a fact that cannot be disputed. To claim Va Tech is by far the better job is ridiculous.

If tourney appearances and tourney success since 2000 are your sole metric then...

Indiana is a worse job than Butler, Memphis, Maryland, and Illinois

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »
Clearly not a Physics major or an engineer.

The tiara of ignorance has many joules

Love the irony of being schooled on ignorance by a person with a picture of a patch that reads "pork eating Crusader".

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »
If tourney appearances and tourney success since 2000 are your sole metric then...

Indiana is a worse job than Butler, Memphis, Maryland, and Illinois

Although he'd never say it out loud...TC might agree with that statement right about now. ;)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »
Love the irony of being schooled on ignorance by a person with a picture of a patch that reads "pork eating Crusader".

First, my post was a pun on potentiality.

Second, you obviously have no idea what the patch references or stands for. Encompassed in that small piece of material is a profound statement on the difference between cultural ignorance and acceptance. Understand lest you reveal profound stupidity.

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2014, 01:01:40 PM »

I think what happened, starting under SP and LW, and continuing with Wild and Cords Part 2, is that Buzz's demands and complaints got to be a little too much.  Sometimes you have to be willing to let talent leave when the headaches get too much to deal with.

This is logical.

The Sun-Times used to have a columnist named Jay Mariotti. I think most folks here know of him and most probably didn't like his style. Mariotti routinely complained to management about one perceived slight or another, trashed his fellow employees, asked for more money, threatened to quit, etc. They stayed with him, and even gave into most of his demands, because he drove traffic to their newspaper and, later, their Website.

A few years ago, however, he really went off the rails. He came home prematurely from the Olympics and again threatened to quit. This time, management -- which had backed him repeatedly at every turn -- said, "OK, we accept your resignation. Have a good life."

Sometimes, an employee can consider himself more irreplaceable than he really is. We are all replaceable. Mariotti learned that, and so did Buzz.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2014, 01:03:06 PM »
And the Big East is a winnable league every year.

Subliminal for "weak league".

Read: Buzz's coaching job was weak-a$$ sauce for a "weak league."

Super ouch on UT's BKB program:
" And for just $4.8 million in men’s basketball expenses in 2012-13, which means a state school with almost 20,000 undergrads spent significantly less than DePaul ($6.3 million). But getting to the NCAA tournament regularly shouldn’t be a chore and, again, the SEC is a two-horse league at the moment."
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2014, 01:06:18 PM »
Although he'd never say it out loud...TC might agree with that statement right about now. ;)

Because he's busy stitching the "We beat #1 UK banner" to remind the Hoosier faithful of his success!
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2014, 01:10:36 PM »
This is logical.

The Sun-Times used to have a columnist named Jay Mariotti. I think most folks here know of him and most probably didn't like his style. Mariotti routinely complained to management about one perceived slight or another, trashed his fellow employees, asked for more money, threatened to quit, etc. They stayed with him, and even gave into most of his demands, because he drove traffic to their newspaper and, later, their Website.

A few years ago, however, he really went off the rails. He came home prematurely from the Olympics and again threatened to quit. This time, management -- which had backed him repeatedly at every turn -- said, "OK, we accept your resignation. Have a good life."

Sometimes, an employee can consider himself more irreplaceable than he really is. We are all replaceable. Mariotti learned that, and so did Buzz.

I get the comparison to an insufferable ingrate to a point. What must not be overlooked is that Bert's departure was not simply his arrogance. The bottom line for Marquette was that Bert didn't share the University's values and standards on certain things. There are matters that must be non-negotiable and Marquette proved it is a community that must live by a set of core values.  

Death on call

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2014, 01:24:05 PM »
First, my post was a pun on potentiality.

Second, you obviously have no idea what the patch references or stands for. Encompassed in that small piece of material is a profound statement on the difference between cultural ignorance and acceptance. Understand lest you reveal profound stupidity.

I know exactly what the patch references and stands for. You may not be ignorant of the impacts such a patch can have, but the message and image that the patch conveys absolutely perpetuates ignorance that is counterproductive to accomplishing the mission associated with the uniform upon which it is affixed. The uniform isn't a medium for making profound statements.

Before you lecture me about understanding, you should probably understand a few things yourself. My comments above are based on years of first hand experience, education, and training. Don't assume you understand service more than others simply because you are the most vocal.

To everyone else on this board, I apologize for instigating this discussion and potentially hijacking the thread. I simply can't resist taking the bait sometimes.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »
I know exactly what the patch references and stands for. You may not be ignorant of the impacts such a patch can have, but the message and image that the patch conveys absolutely perpetuates ignorance that is counterproductive to accomplishing the mission associated with the uniform upon which it is affixed. The uniform isn't a medium for making profound statements.

Before you lecture me about understanding, you should probably understand a few things yourself. My comments above are based on years of first hand experience, education, and training. Don't assume you understand service more than others simply because you are the most vocal.

To everyone else on this board, I apologize for instigating this discussion and potentially hijacking the thread. I simply can't resist taking the bait sometimes.

Take it up with David Petraeus and Ray Odierno because they have the patch too. And I guarangoddamtee they have a keener appreciation than you or I.

Bottom line is you likely have zero time in the Middle East or residency in any part of the non-Western world. I love how middle class white guys love to speak on race, prejudice, and cultural insensitivity.

Tell me - how many non-European languages do you speak?  If you would like we could converse in fluent Japanese, Mandarin, Bahasa, or conversational Pashto. Let me know when you wish to compare notes.

Death on call

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
Take it up with David Petraeus and Ray Odierno because they have the patch too. And I guarangoddamtee they have a keener appreciation than you or I.

Bottom line is you likely have zero time in the Middle East or residency in any part of the non-Western world. I love how middle class white guys love to speak on race, prejudice, and cultural insensitivity.

Tell me - how many non-European languages do you speak?  If you would like we could converse in fluent Japanese, Mandarin, Bahasa, or conversational Pashto. Let me know when you wish to compare notes.

Wrong on all counts.

1. I guarantgoddamtee you that David Petraeus and GEN Odierno wouldn't be caught dead associating themselves with that image on a public message board, or displaying it publicly in any forum.

2. I have spent plenty of time in the Middle East and Central Asia. Again, I love how quick you are to assume that you have the market cornered on this.

3. I speak three non-European languages; Pashto, Dari, and Arabic, though I wouldn't consider myself completely fluent in any. I don't want to converse with you in any of them or compare notes, because I come to this website to discuss topics associated with MU bball. I don't come here to flaunt my resume and solicit adoration for my service.

I will concede one point. I am in fact, a middle class white guy.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:25:46 PM by MUSF »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2014, 03:17:55 PM »
I found tranquility after enabling the "Don't show users' signatures" feature in my profile setting.  The only downside is that I don't see mine, which is, of course, legendlarry. 
Ludum habemus.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2014, 03:24:44 PM »
I found tranquility after enabling the "Don't show users' signatures" feature in my profile setting.  The only downside is that I don't see mine, which is, of course, legendlarry. 

Whaaaaaaaaatt??????? That exists!!!!?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »

Tell me - how many non-European languages do you speak?  If you would like we could converse in fluent Japanese, Mandarin, Bahasa, or conversational Pashto. Let me know when you wish to compare notes.

Oh man, let's feign outrage whilst offtopic humblebragging all over the forums!

That patch is intentionally inflammatory and you've, quite transparently, been waiting for someone to mention it so that you could be "lured" into exactly this conversation.

Put a cork in it.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »
Whaaaaaaaaatt??????? That exists!!!!?

On this page you can disable user's avatars & their signatures.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »
1. I guarantgoddamtee you that David Petraeus and GEN Odierno wouldn't be caught dead associating themselves with that image on a public message board, or displaying it publicly in any forum.

You are wrong. When MNF-I and MNC-I both had the patch and wore it in garrison. Odierno had it on his wall in the Palace, in fact. 2007.

Death on call

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »
On this page you can disable user's avatars & their signatures.

Today was a good day. Thank you sir.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »

3. I speak three non-European languages; Pashto, Dari, and Arabic, though I wouldn't consider myself completely fluent in any. I don't want to converse with you in any of them or compare notes, because I come to this website to discuss topics associated with MU bball. I don't come here to flaunt my resume and solicit adoration for my service.

I will concede one point. I am in fact, a middle class white guy.

So you're saying the SF reference explains the Pashto, Dari, and Arabic. I was with 17th TACPs out of Hurlburt and did the SWEG (A) Pashto course at Bank Hall. I would guess you know the course.

Death on call

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2014, 11:20:54 PM »
So you're saying the SF reference explains the Pashto, Dari, and Arabic. I was with 17th TACPs out of Hurlburt and did the SWEG (A) Pashto course at Bank Hall. I would guess you know the course.

Took Arabic there not Pashto. Taught there as well, not with SWEG though.

Spent some quality time in Hurlburt as well.

BTW, I sincerely mean you know disrespect with any of my posts, but I get very frustrated with your narrative at times and I don't want people to think that it represents the military perspective. I try to keep my business out of my comments here, but I don't always succeed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2014, 11:41:40 PM »
Best analogy I have heard to describe Buzz' departure was "If you keep threatening to cheat on your wife, she is eventually going to tell you to do it.

We didn't kick Buzz out. But we held the door open and didn't ask him to stay.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2014, 01:25:31 AM »
Took Arabic there not Pashto. Taught there as well, not with SWEG though.

Spent some quality time in Hurlburt as well.

BTW, I sincerely mean you know disrespect with any of my posts, but I get very frustrated with your narrative at times and I don't want people to think that it represents the military perspective. I try to keep my business out of my comments here, but I don't always succeed.

Did several TDYs to SWCS but didn't work with SF guys in the field too much since most SF is aimed at CA. As SOC JTACs we are tabbed and embedded with Rangers so all of our shootin and scootin was with them and SEALs. Spent a tour as the CAS Chief for III Corps during the Surge working for BG Mark McDonald who was the Red Leg running Fire and Effects.

My best work with SF was with TF Troy in Iraq and I got to know Ash Naylor and Mike Ceroli along the way. Solid guys with the best grasp of Psy Op I have ever had the pleasure to witness. (Used to hit golf balls over the fence behind the SF Psy Op Palace at Victory.)

Look, I get that you guys do the CA stuff so the patch isn't something you would wear into a ville outside J Bad. But no kidding, the patch was on Odierno's wall and on his Franklin Planner cover when he was MNC-I. The man loved the thing. Precisely because it is what the Tallies used to disparage us. Is Ray Odierno culturally insensitive? Hardly. But mention Mookie and he would go apesh1t.

And make no mistake: there is a huge difference between the fighter pilot community and Big Green. In the flying world we use call signs O-1 through O-5. I couldn't get Army O-4s to use my call sign or first name when I was an O-5. BG Mac's CSO was appalled at the lack of military courtesy exhibited by the small group of USAF, USN, and USMC fighter pilots assigned to the CAS team. He thought we were crude, rude, and irreverent and by Army standards we were. But our tribe is different and there is nothing wrong with that.

As for this site - now that I am back in the commercial side many of us network here for business and pleasure. If you think this is just about MU hoops then you are penalizing yourself.

BTW, are you still in? I caught 2 outside of J Bad and got sent home with a note. As you likely know, every second you are there you think of here and every second here you think of there. But Prazosin helps.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:28:10 AM by keefe »

Death on call