[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Some love for MU from Sports Illustrated  (Read 17341 times)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Re: Some love for MU from Sports Illustrated
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 07:56:31 AM »
VT is a better job than BC.  And if you look at their last few coaching searches, and the quality of candidates they both attracted, I think coaches agree.

Do you think this because your boy Brent went there? BC has made the tourney 7 times since 2000. Va tech made it once. In fact in their entire history Va Tech has only made it 8 times, compared with 18 for BC. Just because Brent wanted Va Tech, doesn't mean coaches agree.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 08:01:51 AM »
Do you think this because your boy Brent went there? BC has made the tourney 7 times since 2000. Va tech made it once. In fact in their entire history Va Tech has only made it 8 times, compared with 18 for BC. Just because Brent wanted Va Tech, doesn't mean coaches agree.

Seth Greenburg v. Chris Mooney too.

VT is a large public university that spends a bunch of money on athletics.  BC is a private school with programs that fight for more limited resources.  Neither is a stellar program, but I think VT has a ton more potential to succeed than BC does.

And I really am not sure why you keep referring to Buzz as "my boy."  I defended his coaching decisions but five minutes after I found out that he left, I pretty much moved on.  I have said this for the past few years, but Marquette is bigger than any one coach and has survived much darker times than Buzz leaving.

Finally, I have no f*cking clue who you really are.  Apparently people are already jumping on the Wojo bandwagon but I have no idea if he is actually a decent coach.  We will see.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 08:03:01 AM »
You see Bo Ryan - I see Mike Deane.  Who knows, what will happen it is a risk right?  I would say the fan-base would not be thrilled with going from Mike Anderson to Kim Anderson in short period of years.

It very well could end up being Deane.  Nothing is guaranteed.  But hiring a successful lower level coach has worked before.  (John Belein is another example.) 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 08:14:53 AM »
And didn't we hire Chew from Mizzou too?  Two Mizzou assistants in three years to Marquette.
I think Illinois hired him from Missouri and then Buzz stole him from Illinois.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 08:19:18 AM »

Seth Greenburg v. Chris Mooney too.

VT is a large public university that spends a bunch of money on athletics.  BC is a private school with programs that fight for more limited resources.  Neither is a stellar program, but I think VT has a ton more potential to succeed than BC does.

And I really am not sure why you keep referring to Buzz as "my boy."  I defended his coaching decisions but five minutes after I found out that he left, I pretty much moved on.  I have said this for the past few years, but Marquette is bigger than any one coach and has survived much darker times than Buzz leaving.

Finally, I have no f*cking clue who you really are.  Apparently people are already jumping on the Wojo bandwagon but I have no idea if he is actually a decent coach.  We will see.

It can have all the potential in the world. The fact is since 2000, BC has made the tourney more than Va Tech has in it's entire history.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 08:20:44 AM »
It can have all the potential in the world. The fact is since 2000, BC has made the tourney more than Va Tech has in it's entire history.

When judging what is a better job, potential means a hell of a lot more than history.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 08:43:13 AM »

When judging what is a better job, potential means a hell of a lot more than history.

How so? It's been proven that you can win at BC, Va Tech not so much. I'm not just going by history, but recent history. I think you feel just because Brent went there, there is all this untapped potential and you're basing this off of him. They are both bottom tier ACC teams, but at least BC has some history of success.

Also, I remember you saying potential is worth nothing until you prove and fulfill it. Stated numerous times in regards to our PG situation last year. Now that Brent took this job, potential means everything?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 08:43:43 AM »
VT is a better job than BC.  And if you look at their last few coaching searches, and the quality of candidates they both attracted, I think coaches agree.

Only in the wacky world of college sports would a job in a sh*thole like Blacksburg be preferable to Boston.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »
How so? It's been proven that you can win at BC, Va Tech not so much. I'm not just going by history, but recent history. I think you feel just because Brent went there, there is all this untapped potential and you're basing this off of him. They are both bottom tier ACC teams, but at least BC has some history of success.

Also, I remember you saying potential is worth nothing until you prove and fulfill it. Stated numerous times in regards to our PG situation last year. Now that Brent took this job, potential means everything?

Because potential mean a higher ceiling.  Boston College is a crappy program.  VT is just as crappy a program but has the ability to be better.

And it is a nice try to tie this to last year's PG situation.  But of course deciding what player to play is nothing like judging what program has more potential. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:56 AM »
Whether or not Marquette is better than Mizzou (I think it is, but I am admittedly biased), both share an interesting detail this offseason:

Each saw its coach leave for what only can be described as an inferior job.

That happens very rarely in college basketball, yet it happened twice in a month. Ca-ray-zee!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 09:12:06 AM »

Because potential mean a higher ceiling.  Boston College is a crappy program.  VT is just as crappy a program but has the ability to be better.

And it is a nice try to tie this to last year's PG situation.  But of course deciding what player to play is nothing like judging what program has more potential. 

Potential is potential no matter what scenario you apply it to. You didn't want to hear about potential for our PG situation, but it's the end all be all for picking a school to coach? You can twist your narrative any way you want. BC has proven to be a better job recently and in 5 years it will still be a better job. By the way, glad your back  ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »
Potential is potential no matter what scenario you apply it to. You didn't want to hear about potential for our PG situation, but it's the end all be all for picking a school to coach?

I am not twisting a narrative.  You are failing basic logic by comparing apples and oranges.

Picking a school to coach is much more like deciding what player to offer a scholarship.  More a strategic decision than a tactical one.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:22:18 AM by The Sultan of Slurpery »

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 09:39:24 AM »
Potential is potential no matter what scenario you apply it to.

This is just not true. The value of potential is absolutely tied to scenario in which it is being applied. Your Derrick example was at best, and apples to oranges comparison.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
This is just not true. The value of potential is absolutely tied to scenario in which it is being applied. Your Derrick example was at best, and apples to oranges comparison.

All last season Dawson showed more potential, bigger rewards than Derrick. Now Va Tech supposedly has more potential, bigger rewards than BC (which I disagree.) Sultan claimed potential doesn't mean anything on the basketball court, but it applies to deciding what school has the better basketball program when history states otherwise? I think it is a fine analogy. One is you know more of what you're getting, the other has more perceived upside. Potential is used in both cases, but when it came to our PG situation potential was dismissed and now it's the most important thing. Potential needs to be developed to realize the rewards and Dawson's potential was summarily dismissed by Sultan...Now the word potential is thrown around about Va Tech and it's a better job than BC, when history states otherwise.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 10:01:01 AM »
Time after time I keep reading how not having an AD is hurting MU.

Can it be that damn hard to find someone to fill the position? Jeeeez.

There's genuine disagreement within the athletic department over which candidate would be easiest for an old curmudgeon like yourself to constantly criticize. 

BTW, Cords has stated that he's staying for a year.  And since Wojo was hired while Cords was AD, its hard to see the author's mentioning the lack of a AD as a problem as being anything more than his taking Buzz's BS at face value.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »
All last season Dawson showed more potential, bigger rewards than Derrick. Now Va Tech supposedly has more potential, bigger rewards than BC (which I disagree.) Sultan claimed potential doesn't mean anything on the basketball court, but it applies to deciding what school has the better basketball program when history states otherwise?

Potential doesn't mean anything on the basketball court if you are trying to win now. Presumably coaches will play the lineup they believe gives them the best opportunity to win. Potential is developed in practice and off season work.

Potential is exceedingly more important in evaluating the relative strength of a coaching job, or any job really. Any coach selecting a job is going to weigh the chance for future success above past performance.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »

"I think you feel just because Brent went there, there is all this untapped potential and you're basing this off of him."

Well, I think you feel that just because you didn't like Sultan not just jumping on the Buzz is a bad coach bandwagon, so now you're just going to attack anything he says without regard for the facts.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 10:16:19 AM »
Whether or not Marquette is better than Mizzou (I think it is, but I am admittedly biased), both share an interesting detail this offseason:

Each saw its coach leave for what only can be described as an inferior job.

That happens very rarely in college basketball, yet it happened twice in a month. Ca-ray-zee!

But one coach left for a program in a better conference while the other one left for a program in a lesser conference.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 10:16:43 AM »
"I think you feel just because Brent went there, there is all this untapped potential and you're basing this off of him."

Well, I think you feel that just because you didn't like Sultan not just jumping on the Buzz is a bad coach bandwagon, so now you're just going to attack anything he says without regard for the facts.

The fact is BC made the tournament seven times since 2000, Va Tech once. That is a fact that cannot be disputed. To claim Va Tech is by far the better job is ridiculous.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »
The fact is BC made the tournament seven times since 2000, Va Tech once. That is a fact that cannot be disputed. To claim Va Tech is by far the better job is ridiculous.

I didn't say it was "by far" the better job...just that it was the better of two crappy jobs.  And if history was what matters, Billy Donovan should have gone to Loyola instead of Florida when he left Marshall.  But he went with potential and look how that played out.

And has been repeatedly pointed out, deciding who to play in a basketball game is nowhere near an apples to apples comparison.  Different timeframes.  Different tactics.

And I finally figured out who you are...mubuzz.  Went from one fanboi name to the next one.  Very cute.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2014, 12:01:43 PM »
But one coach left for a program in a better conference while the other one left for a program in a lesser conference.

True enough.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »

Yes, but unless Bert is coaching the conference, that doesn't mean squat.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »
the lack of a AD as a problem as being anything more than his taking Buzz's BS at face value.

While I agree that Bert citing this as a factor is pure spin the reality is that an egomaniac would struggle with the uncertainty of who might end up as his "boss." Bert feels that he is answerable to no man so he may have struggled with the lack of an AD as Cords likely put as his primary search criteria a strong leader with sound ethical values. Bert never understood that great authority requires even greater accountability.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »
Potential doesn't mean anything on the basketball court if you are trying to win now.

Clearly not a Physics major or an engineer.

The tiara of ignorance has many joules

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »
While I agree that Bert citing this as a factor is pure spin the reality is that an egomaniac would struggle with the uncertainty of who might end up as his "boss." Bert feels that he is answerable to no man so he may have struggled with the lack of an AD as Cords likely put as his primary search criteria a strong leader with sound ethical values. Bert never understood that great authority requires even greater accountability.

I think what happened, starting under SP and LW, and continuing with Wild and Cords Part 2, is that Buzz's demands and complaints got to be a little too much.  Sometimes you have to be willing to let talent leave when the headaches get too much to deal with.

feedback