[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Daniel
[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Some love for MU from Sports Illustrated  (Read 17234 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Some love for MU from Sports Illustrated
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:09:12 PM »
No. 2 on list of head coaching openings this offseason.   Seems a fair assessment to me.  I think an argument could be made we're a better job than Missouri or vice versa, but definitely some strong respect toward what's been built here by players, coaches, fans, administration over the years.  I don't think a credible case could be made for anyone else being a better job. 

Only surprise to me is Houston no. 3.  I get they are in the heart of big time recruiting territory, but the state of Texas has so many high level D-1 programs.  After that, I don't really get what makes them so strong, questionable conference, weak history since the early 80's.   Fellow AAC member South Florida seems to have more upside to me. 

Think a case could have been made for Washington St cracking the list at least too.

http://college-basketball.si.com/2014/04/21/open-ncaa-coaching-jobs-missouri-marquette-houston/

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Some love for MU from Sports Illustrated
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Which begs the question, if we're so good, why oh why did the Hillbilly leave?

Guess even though Jed Clampett was in Beverly Hills, he longed for the simple backward life of the Ozarks.

Same for the Hillbilly. Good program, good school, too good for the Hillbilly.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:22:47 PM »
Mizzou is NOT a better job than Marquette

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »
No. 2 on list of head coaching openings this offseason.   Seems a fair assessment to me.  I think an argument could be made we're a better job than Missouri or vice versa, but definitely some strong respect toward what's been built here by players, coaches, fans, administration over the years.  I don't think a credible case could be made for anyone else being a better job. 

Only surprise to me is Houston no. 3.  I get they are in the heart of big time recruiting territory, but the state of Texas has so many high level D-1 programs.  After that, I don't really get what makes them so strong, questionable conference, weak history since the early 80's.   Fellow AAC member South Florida seems to have more upside to me. 

Think a case could have been made for Washington St cracking the list at least too.

http://college-basketball.si.com/2014/04/21/open-ncaa-coaching-jobs-missouri-marquette-houston/

Phi Slamma Jamma, 'nuf said. Lot of people want them to be good again but the reality is they get more respect than they deserve at this point.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:26:15 PM »
Phi Slamma Jamma, 'nuf said. Lot of people want them to be good again but the reality is they get more respect than they deserve at this point.

Exactly, didn't Tom Penders very briefly have them on the upswing again a few years ago- did he maybe even take them to an NCAA appearance?

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 09:30:20 PM »
Exactly, didn't Tom Penders very briefly have them on the upswing again a few years ago- did he maybe even take them to an NCAA appearance?
I seem to recollect that, made the tournament a couple times maybe.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 09:32:14 PM »

In the old Big East, I agree with you.  In the new Big East, debatable.  I think the new Big East will prove to be a strong conference, but there's legitimate question marks right now.   Conference affiliation isn't everything in comparing programs, but it's right up there among the top x-factors.  The SEC while generally very weak this year, still made up half the Final Four.  Hard to ignore that.  No doubt that gets recruits attention.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:34:06 PM »
I did not see VT on the list

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 09:34:55 PM »

This. I'm from the KC area and just no way at all. They've never been able to lockdown St. Louis and Missouri overall, never made a Final Four, and their basketball legacy is almost entirely tied to KU. There is A LOT of worry that the SEC is going to kill the desire for hoops there as attendance apparently was way down this year and it's not looking up anymore.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »
This. I'm from the KC area and just no way at all. They've never been able to lockdown St. Louis and Missouri overall, never made a Final Four, and their basketball legacy is almost entirely tied to KU. There is A LOT of worry that the SEC is going to kill the desire for hoops there as attendance apparently was way down this year and it's not looking up anymore.

Interesting take.  One thing about the SEC, football will always be king. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 09:36:54 PM »
I did not see VT on the list

#7- ahead of BC, which I don't agree with. 

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 09:37:43 PM »
In the old Big East, I agree with you.  In the new Big East, debatable.  I think the new Big East will prove to be a strong conference, but there's legitimate question marks right now.   Conference affiliation isn't everything in comparing programs, but it's right up there among the top x-factors.  The SEC while generally very weak this year, still made up half the Final Four.  Hard to ignore that.  No doubt that gets recruits attention.

But really outside UK, UF, and Vandy there just isn't much interest in the SEC overall for hoops. Could argue Tennessee and Arkansas (been a long time since Richardson now), but football still overshadows everything. Word is Mizzou is already feeling a dearth of excitement since they moved to the football obsessed conference. Maybe the fans have been burnt out a lot over football excitement and visiting new campuses, but not having Kansas on the schedule is slowly going to hurt their desire for hoops. Beating KU drove so much of their motivation.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:40:24 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
Time after time I keep reading how not having an AD is hurting MU.

Can it be that damn hard to find someone to fill the position? Jeeeez.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:24:37 PM »

I wish people would stop saying we have no A.D. We do have an A.D., albeit short term, but the guy's been at Marquette for over 20 years. The office isn't empty.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MUSF

• All American
SI Ranks Coaching Jobs Available This Season
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 01:13:41 AM »
Marquette #2

Virginia Tech #7

I wonder if the ranks will change after Wojo and Buzz have been on the job for a few years?

http://college-basketball.si.com/2014/04/21/open-ncaa-coaching-jobs-missouri-marquette-houston/?eref=sihp

MUSF

• All American
Re: SI Ranks Coaching Jobs Available This Season
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 01:14:51 AM »
Sorry, I missed the other thread.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 01:17:13 AM »

Didn't we just hire away one of their assistants? I wonder what he thinks?

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 05:52:10 AM »
And the Big East is a winnable league every year. [/quote]

Subliminal for "weak league".

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 06:43:38 AM »

sure could...which would tell you the BoT and Pres don't feel it's that big of a deal.  obviously wojo didn't mind...not sure if it cost us a higher priority candidate or not.  time will tell with the success of the two new bball coaches.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 07:08:58 AM »
sure could...which would tell you the BoT and Pres don't feel it's that big of a deal.  obviously wojo didn't mind...not sure if it cost us a higher priority candidate or not.  time will tell with the success of the two new bball coaches.

MU wanted the new President in place first so he can help hire the AD (and Provost, director of admissions, B-School Dean, etc.).  We should have many of these filled before school starts in the fall.

And no it's not that big a deal.  The reporter needed a "con" for the MU job and is like all reporters he is very lazy.  So after a 30 second google search he noted that Brent mentioned.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 07:42:52 AM »
#7- ahead of BC, which I don't agree with.  

VT is a better job than BC.  And if you look at their last few coaching searches, and the quality of candidates they both attracted, I think coaches agree.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 07:43:50 AM »
I think this article would support that statement.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10818446/central-missouri-kim-anderson-finalists-missouri-tigers-job

Kim Anderson is a good coach.  This is pretty much like UW hiring Bo Ryan - former assistant who found a great deal of success at lower levels and hoping it translates to D1.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 07:47:52 AM »

Kim Anderson is a good coach.  This is pretty much like UW hiring Bo Ryan - former assistant who found a great deal of success at lower levels and hoping it translates to D1.

You see Bo Ryan - I see Mike Deane.  Who knows, what will happen it is a risk right?  I would say the fan-base would not be thrilled with going from Mike Anderson to Kim Anderson in short period of years.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
Didn't we just hire away one of their assistants? I wonder what he thinks?

And didn't we hire Chew from Mizzou too?  Two Mizzou assistants in three years to Marquette.